• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
9/10, good job man. It has that natural, valley feel
Map Name: 1st Floor of Players House
Base: Fire Red
Game: Pokemon Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Comment: This is my second time doing an indoor map, not really good at it but tried by best.
Spoiler:
wow I can't really help here I learnt just about all i know about mapping from this thread so I can't tell you a lot about indoor maps, but all the same map looks very playable... good job..?

Last edited by a moderator:

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
Years
My map:
(I know the house tile error waiting on some tiles)
Again no particular purpose but I am sure I can throw it into Rumble Rock some where... sorry about spamming maps here just trying to get back into mapping (=

see attachment

Nice map, looks natural and all. I feel that it has a little too much of tall grass though. Also, I found one tile error there:

asdsafdsfdsf.jpg

Map Name: 1st Floor of Players House
Base: Fire Red
Game: Pokemon Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Comment: This is my second time doing an indoor map, not really good at it but tried by best.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/mjiznumber1/PlayerHouseDWNB.png

I think it's the first indoor map posted in this thread. Looks good.

And now my map:

Map name: No name yet.
Base ROM: Ruby
Comments: It's my first map ever. It's a starter town located on some small peninsula connected to a larger landmass. I hope it doesn't look tragic.

startertown.png

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
sorry about no quotes but the guy above:

Overall it is a pretty good job considering this is your first map however there are some flaws.
The path well being a good idea needs to be the same width throughout the map or as close as possible, also it needs to be less random. so instead of going up right up right up right up right and getting a diagonal effect go up up up up right right right right and getting a large right angle effect.
Next the mountain in the top left is a perfect rectangle, that would be a good thing if you worked for gamefreak but here you need to go for something a bit more natural looking.
My last nag is the all the flowers and tree's placed randomly about the map, a couple is a good thing but i think you might have gone over the top here, if it were a route random tree's would be good but not in the middle of town...

sorry about all that, and best of luck mapping (=

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
Spoiler:

MY MAP
name: Suna Cove
game: U knowz
Credits: Darkblack thread.
map:
Spoiler:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
r0bert said:
MY MAP
map:
Spoiler:
Well you have 99.9% nailed that mp the only 2 things i can pick out are the whirlpool in the bottom right corner, i could not work out the point of it. Also is it just me or does the door on the house look odd?

999/1000

Well done!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
MY MAP
map:
Spoiler:

About the map: It's very good, I like it, style seems Nintendoish but natural at the same time. I'd like playing that! My only complaint is that you might get lost in the sea, without anything to navigate (like a rock..) but then again, it's sea right? xD
8/10

About the tiles: Man, you've gotta change the trees! Their bottom shading screws up the whole tile.. but I love the sea and sand tiles, so they make up for it :D

Name: Ghetho Hills
About: Remake of my old map. This is not meant to be playable, and I will continue making the connection of this map.

Spoiler:

Credits: Me (spriting/respriting all of the tiles, and map), Kyledove, Wesley FG, zein

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

Name: Ghetho Hills
About: Remake of my old map. This is not meant to be playable, and I will continue making the connection of this map.

Spoiler:

Credits: Me (spriting/respriting all of the tiles, and map), Kyledove, Wesley FG, zein
I really like this map, especially the multiple types of trees and the other tiles and palettes. It looks cool, although I'm not sure about playability. However, you did state that it's not intended to be playable, so I'll forget about that.
Not much bad to say about this, except, would a house in the middle of nowhere have a paved road? Not likely, but overall, it's a great map.
10/10.

My Map
Name: Route 66
Game: Pokemon Emerald Version
Comments: A map I was making for no real reason. It's probably my biggest map, and
one of my best. It starts at the paved road and ends at the cave.
WARNING: HUGE MAP
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I really like this map, especially the multiple types of trees and the other tiles and palettes. It looks cool, although I'm not sure about playability. However, you did state that it's not intended to be playable, so I'll forget about that.
Not much bad to say about this, except, would a house in the middle of nowhere have a paved road? Not likely, but overall, it's a great map.
10/10.

My Map
Name: Route 66
Game: Pokemon Emerald Version
Comments: A map I was making for no real reason. It's probably my biggest map, and
one of my best. It starts at the paved road and ends at the cave.
WARNING: HUGE MAP
Spoiler:

Wow, that's a huge map, and it looks really nice! The only two things that I don't like are:
the one tile path in the upper right of the map (near the signpost), and the tiny island at the bottom left, it just seems pointless. But well, other than that it looks great!

9/10
-----------------------------
Name: Ominous Cavern
Game: FR
Comments: I'm horrible at cave maps. ;( this is the first floor of Ominous Cavern, a Cave inhabited by ghost types. Ignore the tile errors, I'll fix them later.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Comments: I'm horrible at cave maps. ;( this is the first floor of Ominous Cavern, a Cave inhabited by ghost types. Ignore the tile errors, I'll fix them later.
Spoiler:
8/10. Your biggest problems are tile-errors; for example, where certain cliff tiles meet the grey sand.

What you need to do is use AdvanceMap's Block Editor to add some more tiles for blends that don't already exist (i.e. upper-cliff-tiles to sand). However, I think that most of the cave tilesets are linked in some way (I suspect that they all share block data), so be careful when you do this.

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
-----------------------------
Spoiler:
What? It's really nice. I like the style you used, the border between natural and Gamefreak style, which I often use. Honestly, the only problem I have with the map are tile errors, but you said you will fix them. 9.5/10
~
Map Name: Breeze Town
Game: Fire Red
Credits: Laidjon, Zein, lalo0101
Spoiler:

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
@chiar
your map is awesome to me it looks like an official game freak map. nice job you deserve a pat on the back lol :D....

Map Name: none town
Game: ruby
Credits: none (all orginal pokemon game tiles just new pallete made by me :D)
Spoiler:

marcc5m

what
Years
@chiar
your map is awesome to me it looks like an official game freak map. nice job you deserve a pat on the back lol :D....

Spoiler:

I have conjunctivitis and it just got a whole lot worse.
CHANGE THE RED NAO.
Seriously red trees and grass wut.
Also tree shading and big empty bottom left corner.
Spoiler:

Years
@chiar

Spoiler:

Oh dear... Yeah, I know this isn't the palette/tile rating thread, but good lord that red isn't working. I'm sure you have some logical reason for it (it being called "None Town" tells me that) but if you're making the whole place that dark shade of red, you really should colour the houses and... Everything else. They just look horribly out of place.
I'm saying this with the assumption that the area NEEDS to be red. If at all possible you should.. Well, have it so it ISN'T red, in my humble opinion :)

Now, the map itself... It seems a little bit cramped to me. The northeast entrance is a one-tiler, which is a bit small for a town (it should really be at least two tiles wide). Similarly for the entrances to the houses- they're right next to the trees, which is quite narrow. In my opinion, of course. You should give things a bit more space in general.
Talking about space- the lower-middle-left section is a bit TOO spacious. You needn't add anything solid but a few flowers wouldn't hurt, to take away from the big blank red space.
Overall, I give this map about a 4/10. The massively red palette and crampedness takes away from it, unfortunately, but shouldn't be too hard to improve on! :)

Years

Map Name: Breeze Town
Game: Fire Red
Credits: Laidjon, Zein, lalo0101
Spoiler:

Very nice map, real good proportions. It really gives that town feeling.
I only feel like the water on the bottom could be a bit smaller at the top because it seems a bit more logical for a river to thin out when entering a town/city instead of expanding, with the exception of lakes etc.

Overall a very good job idd! 8/10

----

Here's the first map I made since a LONG time ( so don't be too critical :p )

Name: -
Rom: Fire Red
Map:
Spoiler:
Credits : Wesley FG for the Zelda bridge tile I edited to make that fence :p

P.S. Sorry for my last post in this thread I forgot the rules *shame*

demondismon

Years
@map above. nice structure i love the trees and fence the watter could be a little less square but besides that and the color of a tree i give it a 8/10

map name:none
game:none(yet)
base:ruby
Spoiler:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
@map above. nice structure i love the trees and fence the watter could be a little less square but besides that and the color of a tree i give it a 8/10

Spoiler:

The diagonally placed trees to the upper left of the Pokemon Center look weird to me. Hard to explain, but it almost looks like a tile error. The smaller trees by the mountain leave a space that really should be filled, unless you plan to give that space use later.

Also, the new tiles look out of place when coupled with the R/S/E style house/Pokemon Center buildings.

Rating: 3/10

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years

Spoiler:

The map overall is kind of lacking, just a house and a PokeCenter is kind of boring imo..and sorry but those tiles are an eyesore, especially since they are mixed with the R/S/E housing. 2/10

-------------------------------------------------

This is my first ever attempt at a route, my second attempt at an outdoors map (I mostly map insides of houses haha).

Map Name: None
Game: Pokemon Daydream White
Rom Base: Fire Red

FreelanceRoute.png

demondismon

Years
The map overall is kind of lacking, just a house and a PokeCenter is kind of boring imo..and sorry but those tiles are an eyesore, especially since they are mixed with the R/S/E housing. 2/10

-------------------------------------------------

This is my first ever attempt at a route, my second attempt at an outdoors map (I mostly map insides of houses haha).

FreelanceRoute.png

hmmmm ok its not really all that good. due to the fact that there is way to much grass for a route and is looks to simple.. as in not enough trees and too many ledges.....sorry but 2/10
edit1.....btw wtf is up with the flower's?
edit2.....whats up with the tile error's?
my map
Spoiler:

please dont comment on pallet because its worthless because im not changing the colors

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024

my map
Spoiler:

please dont comment on pallet because its worthless because im not changing the colors

Very obviously Odale Town. Try changing the layout more; you didn't even move the PokeMart.

Also, the smaller trees mostly look off. I'd keep the ones:
to the left of the Pokemon Center (only the three next to the bigger tree, remove the other two sticking out.)
by the mountain
behind the fence
...and remove the others.

It does look pretty rural in my opinion, so that's good, if that's what you were going for.

Finally, I'd give it a 3/10. Definitely needs changing to look not like a slightly differed Odale Town. (Although maybe it's just me.)
And if you're unwilling to change, why are you even posting here?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

FreelanceRoute.png
Way too empty, It just looks like a field filled with grass.There's far too much grass, too. the whole route is covered with it, and it'd be very annoying for the player to have to go through all of that. I'd recommend you get rid of some of that grass, fill the empty space with trees and other decoration, and don't just add ledges.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but your map needs a lot of improvement.
2.5/10

----------------------------------------------

Name: Route 3
Comments: third route in my hack. but it turned out kind of... bad. I'm not that happy with it ): Suggestions?
the second stairway is supposed to lead to an item. And yes, I know the back has tile errors.
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back