The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
thepsynergist
A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Yahoo to thepsynergist Send a message via Skype™ to thepsynergist

Advertise here
Thanks for agreeing with me Darkdoom. I want people to understand, its a feature of my game. I don't go into other peoples games and criticize how certain features of their games shouldn't be in it.

It is a game that I am making because I want to, and I'm not forcing anyone to play it. Besides, it was a way to get the move Frustration to be more powerful.

The only reason I chose unhappiness as an evolution factor, is because no one else has tried that yet (at least at the time I started this project). It was something new and interesting, and in no way, hinders the player from not being able to complete the game. There's no special reward for getting every pokemon in the pokedex. It's just a new way to obtain certain pokemon.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/thepsynergist
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
cruciFICTION
A Cruciform Kaleidoscope

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
^Oh, really? Animal cruelty? It's just a game.

I think unhappiness could be interesting.
Pokemon is too cutesy as it is.

An oddish evolving into a bellossom when it's happy and a vileplume when it's unhappy is totally concevible.
Except that's not really how they evolve; they already have methods of evolution for those pokémon. And remember that pokémon are basically intelligent pets. Dogs are known to turn on their owners or just run away when they're unhappy. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for a long-term goal? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepsynergist View Post
Thanks for agreeing with me Darkdoom. I want people to understand, its a feature of my game. I don't go into other peoples games and criticize how certain features of their games shouldn't be in it.

It is a game that I am making because I want to, and I'm not forcing anyone to play it. Besides, it was a way to get the move Frustration to be more powerful.

The only reason I chose unhappiness as an evolution factor, is because no one else has tried that yet (at least at the time I started this project). It was something new and interesting, and in no way, hinders the player from not being able to complete the game. There's no special reward for getting every pokemon in the pokedex. It's just a new way to obtain certain pokemon.
No, you don't do that. Maybe you should. It helps people to realise, "Oh, wow, I need to fix this." Or, "That needs some tweaking."

Why do you game developers always fall back on, "I'm not forcing anyone to play it"? Who cares who you're forcing and who you're not? I'm trying to put across the point that purposely making an animal unhappy is stupid if you want it to stay with you.
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
thepsynergist

Send a message via Yahoo to thepsynergist Send a message via Skype™ to thepsynergist
Well, I don't appreciate being told to take a main feature out of my game.

And who are you to call me, "you game developer" as if you aren't one yourself. I've been working on this project for 3 years, and I don't need people like you trolling my game thread.

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
cruciFICTION
A Cruciform Kaleidoscope

Quote:

And who are you to call me, "you game developer" as if you aren't one yourself. I've been working on this project for 3 years, and I don't need people like you trolling my game thread.
I didn't tell you to take it out of your game, and I hardly think it's important enough to warrant being a "main" feature, either.

And I can refer to you as being part of the collective "you game developers" because you used the excuse that you're not forcing anyone to play it. I may be developing a game, but I'm not one of those game developers who thinks that's a relevant excuse.

I mean, why are you even posting here if you don't want people trolling discussing and critiquing your game? Do you just want your ego stroked? Are you seeking validation? If you don't want people to critique it, then don't post here. Do the work, and when it's done, release it.

Also, I think that my critique can be held to a higher dignity than "trolling". If I was trolling you, well, I think it would actually RESEMBLE trolling.
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Rai Rai
Master of everything!

Quote:

It's just one person trolling on your game, no biggie there's only about another 40 people or so who would play this game for the fun and not the features.
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciFICTION View Post
Except that's not really how they evolve; they already have methods of evolution for those pokémon.
obviously. I was using them as examples. It's easier to visualize existing pokemon.
(imagine if oddish evolution tree didn't exist)

Oddish- happy: Bellosum
Oddish- sad: Gloom

Quote:
And remember that pokémon are basically intelligent pets.
Dogs are known to turn on their owners or just run away when they're unhappy. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for a long-term goal?
I guess they are intelligent pets.

thepsynergist, you should also take out battling, because we know it's just animal fighting. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for prize moneyl? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.

Catching has to go too. Slaves with bad cases of stockholm syndrome.

One of the greatest things about fangames is being able to push boundaries that nintendo themselves won't push.

Last edited by DarkDoom3000; September 6th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

@cruciFICTION: Although I agree that it is annoying when people say you don't have to play the game, like thepsynergist did, saying "Do you just want your ego stroked? Are you seeking validation?" totally puts you in the wrong. It's just trolling.

And even though I do agree that the Pokémon may not be happy to be purposefully made depressed, don't you think, with their intelligence, they'll be able to understand it's all for them to evolve?

Demo Beta out Now!

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:01 AM
cruciFICTION
A Cruciform Kaleidoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
I guess they are intelligent pets.

thepsynergist, you should also take out battling, because we know it's just animal fighting. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for prize moneyl? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.

Catching has to go too. Slaves with bad cases of stockholm syndrome.

One of the greatest things about fangames is being able to push boundaries that nintendo themselves won't push.
First, I find it bothersome that when someone's idea is challenged, they seem incapable of discussing it civilly without turning into a smart ass.
The article I linked brings up a lot of points there. Pokémon gain happiness from battling. That shows that they clearly LIKE battling. Hell, a lot of intelligent creatures, humans amongst those, take pride in violent proficiency.

And yes, fangames should be pushing boundaries, but those boundaries should make sense. If you're pushing boundaries that way, then you should be able to expect that pokémon will get pissed off at you and run away/fight you.
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:12 AM
thepsynergist

It was just a custom evolution idea, and I think the main character being a member of team rocket would justify this idea. And no, I'm not trying to "stroke my own ego". I put up this topic so no one else would think this name was available when I purposefully chose it.

I'm just surprised it took 3 years for someone to complain about such a frivolous idea.

Old September 6th, 2011, 03:25 AM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
If you're pushing boundaries that way, then you should be able to expect that pokémon will get pissed off at you and run away/fight you.
They're unhappy. but not enough to run away. I don't like my job, but not enough to quit.

I need money, so I don't quit.
They get the comfort of having home(pokeball) and being taken to the pokecenter frequently. And apprently they enjoy fighting, so yeah. They must enjoy it enough to stay.

vola perfect excuse to have the feature.

Plus, what makes you think pokemon can actually escape/run away?
just beam them back whenever they try.
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Please keep your conversation/argument out of this thread, and if criticism is to be posted, it must be constructive.
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Zerix
Beginning Trainer

One bug I've found in the game is that if you trade the Rattata for Meep the Mareep, it will disobey you even if you have badges normally corresponding to certain levels it is under. It has been disobeying me since level 12, I believe. Or it is... intentional?
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
thepsynergist

Do you have 2 or more badges? Because Pokemon in my game don't start obeying you up to level 20 unless you have 2 badges.

Old September 7th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Zerix
Beginning Trainer

Hm... Well it makes no mention of the levels, but yes, I do have two badges and Meep is still ignoring orders and loafing around and using other moves instead.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM
thepsynergist

Strange. I'll have to take a look at it. In the meantime, collect more badges and see if Meep still disobeys you after 3-4 badges.

Old September 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
GAOlivier
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Do you have 2 or more badges? Because Pokemon in my game don't start obeying you up to level 20 unless you have 2 badges.
Heh, that's actually pretty interesting. So you've gotta train them the hard way up to 20 first? The 'Gary'(gen1)/ 'Paul'(gen4) way up to 20 and then they'll start to acknowledge you being their master?

Old September 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Zerix
Beginning Trainer

As soon as I got that third badge, Meep started obeying me again. I'll let you know what happens after I get Meep up past level 20.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM
CainSkygger
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lonely
Hey I'm kinda new here...............actually I made this account with the purpose of asking this question, and for the record, your game is amazing; the idea of playing as a team rocket member is great(plus having two starters). Anyways, I just beat the first gym leader and I cant get out of the room; the stairs pretty much act like a wall, any idea why this could be happening?

actually never mind just got past the stairs by spamming the left arrow key and 'c'. Your games still awesome!!!!

Last edited by CainSkygger; December 12th, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
thepsynergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainSkygger View Post
Hey I'm kinda new here...............actually I made this account with the purpose of asking this question, and for the record, your game is amazing; the idea of playing as a team rocket member is great(plus having two starters). Anyways, I just beat the first gym leader and I cant get out of the room; the stairs pretty much act like a wall, any idea why this could be happening?

actually never mind just got past the stairs by spamming the left arrow key and 'c'. Your games still awesome!!!!
I haven't worked on this game in a while, for fear that it lacked interest. I should start working again. I just got Pokemon'ed out for a bit, but I should at least finish this game

What you have to do is press enter on the stairs. It was a bug that I will fix. I had the event be on "talk" rather than on step.

Old December 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
I haven't worked on this game in a while, for fear that it lacked interest. I should start working again. I just got Pokemon'ed out for a bit, but I should at least finish this game

What you have to do is press enter on the stairs. It was a bug that I will fix. I had the event be on "talk" rather than on step.
yeah i didnt know you were still working on this...
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
thepsynergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
yeah i didnt know you were still working on this...
I wasn't. I took a break since last July. I'll slowly get back to work on it. Don't expect a miracle. I'll probably have to rush content to get it done, but at least I'll finish it that way.

Old December 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
InsanityLives
Beginning Trainer

I am loving this. I like the twist for story. actually being the baddies not fighting them. a change the games needed. i will keep following this for updates. kinda just started but the way its set up is nice. im enjoying this. best of luck to you

edit: damn some thing awesome to share. only just got the pokemon that you get from the lab, went back to base and my charmander got pokerus :D sweet

Uranium v

Xenotime v

Obsidian v

Last edited by InsanityLives; December 14th, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
thepsynergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanityLives View Post
I am loving this. I like the twist for story. actually being the baddies not fighting them. a change the games needed. i will keep following this for updates. kinda just started but the way its set up is nice. im enjoying this. best of luck to you

edit: damn some thing awesome to share. only just got the pokemon that you get from the lab, went back to base and my charmander got pokerus :D sweet
I'm beginning to wonder if my game has a mind of its own. It seems that everytime I test my game, one of my Pokemon get the Pokerus in the first hour. I've a theory that maybe genetically engineered pokemon are more susceptible to the disease. >.>

Old December 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
InsanityLives
Beginning Trainer

haha, that would be make sense in away. but strange if u didnt code it @.@

Uranium v

Xenotime v

Obsidian v
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM
thepsynergist

That's the thing, I never coded that. It's like a phantom bug.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here