The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Poueff
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
Doesn't he give you the HM the moment you beat Norman? =/

---

I have a "small" problem here. Unfortunally, Shadow Ball is a one-time TM (as in only one in the game, no chance to buy it on GC) on Pokémon Emerald.

So, I'm currently on Mossdeep (just beat Team Magma and Aqua's hideouts) and I have a level 38 Crobat and a level 38 Mightyena. And only one shadow ball (which is the problem).

Something that I "learned" about Crobat and Mightyena (being two of my favourite Pokémons) is that their movepool isn't that good (to the point of I having Tackle on the two of them just a couple levels back) and that Shadow Ball can make a huge part of their moveset.

Their current moveset is:

-Crobat:
Fly
Air Cutter (yea... two flying moves)
Bite
Confuse Ray

-Mightyena:
Take Down
Swagger
Sand-attack (yup)
Bite

So, I know Mightyena learns Crunch a bit later, but unless the TM for Sludge Bomb or Sludge or just any other Poison move in the game (other than the level-up Poison Fang) shows up (if so, where?) I really don't know who to give Shadow Ball to.
Unfortunally, I can't trade any of them to FR so I can buy the TM at the Game Corner, because it's an emulator. But with only having one Shadow Ball, who do you think would be best to give it too?
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:14 AM
cazzler
Feraligatr FtW!

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cazzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poueff View Post
Doesn't he give you the HM the moment you beat Norman? =/
It automatically takes you to his house on Emerald, but Ruby and Sapphire you'll have to go to the house yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poueff View Post
I have a "small" problem here. Unfortunally, Shadow Ball is a one-time TM (as in only one in the game, no chance to buy it on GC) on Pokémon Emerald.

So, I'm currently on Mossdeep (just beat Team Magma and Aqua's hideouts) and I have a level 38 Crobat and a level 38 Mightyena. And only one shadow ball (which is the problem).

Something that I "learned" about Crobat and Mightyena (being two of my favourite Pokémons) is that their movepool isn't that good (to the point of I having Tackle on the two of them just a couple levels back) and that Shadow Ball can make a huge part of their moveset.

Their current moveset is:

-Crobat:
Fly
Air Cutter (yea... two flying moves)
Bite
Confuse Ray

-Mightyena:
Take Down
Swagger
Sand-attack (yup)
Bite

So, I know Mightyena learns Crunch a bit later, but unless the TM for Sludge Bomb or Sludge or just any other Poison move in the game (other than the level-up Poison Fang) shows up (if so, where?) I really don't know who to give Shadow Ball to.
Unfortunally, I can't trade any of them to FR so I can buy the TM at the Game Corner, because it's an emulator. But with only having one Shadow Ball, who do you think would be best to give it too?
I think you should give it to Mightyena, it already has bad moves, Crobat has two types of moves, while Mightyena has dark and normal which isn't super effective against anything, take down also gives recoil damage, swagger isn't necessary in my opinion. Sludge bomb is in Dewford town (In the house where they talk about hip words) North of the Pokemon Centre, talk to the guy in white with glasses near the entry.
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Nature: Timid
You can't teach Sludgebomb to Mightyena though. So that's a problem. Not many options for him in gen III unfortunately. You have Crunch coming up at level 47 though, which will help. Shadow Ball would be redundant, since Ghost and Dark cover the same types, so I'd go Iron Tail or Facade (Normal moves aren't that bad!), or even Hidden Power and hope you luck out with that.

paired to crono
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Poueff
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
You can't teach Sludgebomb to Mightyena though. So that's a problem. Not many options for him in gen III unfortunately. You have Crunch coming up at level 47 though, which will help. Shadow Ball would be redundant, since Ghost and Dark cover the same types, so I'd go Iron Tail or Facade (Normal moves aren't that bad!), or even Hidden Power and hope you luck out with that.
Sludge Bomb was for Crobat, to replace Air Cutter :D

I almost forgot about Hidden Power. It turns out it's a Fighting type, so yup, it was a good choice. I guess I'll keep it with HP and then try and add something to take out Swagger for Iron Tail when I get Waterfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzler View Post
It automatically takes you to his house on Emerald, but Ruby and Sapphire you'll have to go to the house yourself.

I think you should give it to Mightyena, it already has bad moves, Crobat has two types of moves, while Mightyena has dark and normal which isn't super effective against anything, take down also gives recoil damage, swagger isn't necessary in my opinion. Sludge bomb is in Dewford town (In the house where they talk about hip words) North of the Pokemon Centre, talk to the guy in white with glasses near the entry.
I switched out Air Cutter for Sludge Bomb and Bite for Shadow Ball, since I already got types covered on Mightyena. Just for curiosity's sake I put HP on Crobat and it was a Flying type.

Thanks to the both of you for the help =)
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
drdaylight389
Beginning Trainer

I'm playing Emerald and I started reading up on EV training (also on IVs) yesterday for a couple hours. I have a couple questions that I could not seem to find an answer for.

1. I got a Bagon, never gained any experience yet. I wanna eventually evolve him into a Metagross. If I start EV training Bagon now, will all the EV points still be distributed to those stats I EV trained him in when he eventually evolves into a Metagross?

2. None of my pokemon have the Pokerus virus. But hypothetically speaking, lets say Bagon does have the Pokerus virus and experience share equipped and I'm fighting with my Sceptile . I know experience share will also give Bagon EVs from the battle Sceptile won. Sceptile beat a pokemon for 1 EV for the Attack stat. Will Bagon receive 2 EVs for the Attack stat since he has the Pokerus virus?

3. I read that people are starting their EV training at Level 1. Is it even possible to get a Level 1 pokemon without cheating (gameshark/codebreaker/glitches)? Or can pokemon actually be hatched out of an egg at Level 1?

4. I understand how some natures pokemon have will add 10% in one stat and negate 10% in another or not add/negate a stat at all. But from Serebii's website at the bottom of a page on a pokemon, it says "Hindering Nature", "Neutral Nature" and "Beneficial Nature". How do I know what nature would Hinder/be Beneficial to Bagon? I'm assuming the "Neutral Nature" would be natures that do not add/negate stats such as the Bashful Nature, Docile Nature, Hardy Nature, etc.

**NOTE** I have read and re-read the FAQ and the answers to these questions could not be found. I appreciate any/all help with these questions.

Last edited by drdaylight389; September 8th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sheep

1) Bagon evolves into Shelgon and then into Salamence... did you mean Beldum? That's Metagross' first form. And yes, the EVs will be distributed even when it evolves, don't worry!

2) Yes, you'll get double EVs from Exp. Share even if the infected Pokemon didn't battle.

3) Starting generation IV, Pokemon hatch from eggs at level 1. So yup, it's possible.

4) Salamence's (Bagon's final evolved form) best stats are attack and special attack while Metagross' best stats are attack and defense, so you can make sure it doesn't have a nature that hinders one of those stats. Honestly, either way it's perfectly fine if you're not planning on WiFi battling (which can't be done until gen IV anyway). It pretty much makes no difference in the actual game. You can see Salamence's stat bars here (click) and Metagross' stat bars here (click).

EDIT: It really depends on what moves you plan to teach your Pokemon, though. For example, Metagross learns mainly Psychic moves which are all special attack-based in Gen III and Steel moves, which are all attack-based. So if you plan to have a more attacking rather than defensive Metagross, you can make sure it has a nature that ups its attack or special attack. Opposite for defensive.

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3

Last edited by Sheep; September 8th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
cazzler
Feraligatr FtW!

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cazzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdaylight389 View Post
1. I got a Bagon, never gained any experience yet. I wanna eventually evolve him into a Metagross. If I start EV training Bagon now, will all the EV points still be distributed to those stats I EV trained him in when he eventually evolves into a Metagross?
First off, Bagon dosen't evolve into Metagross, its Salamence or were you talking about Beldum? anyways It will have its EV Points even if it evolves, so yes.

Quote:
2. None of my pokemon have the Pokerus virus. But hypothetically speaking, lets say Bagon does have the Pokerus virus and experience share equipped and I'm fighting with my Sceptile . I know experience share will also give Bagon EVs from the battle Sceptile won. Sceptile beat a pokemon for 1 EV for the Attack stat. Will Bagon receive 2 EVs for the Attack stat since he has the Pokerus virus?
Your right they distribute EV's with an EXP Share but I'm not sure if the EV's are doubled like that, they are doubled with Pokerus though.

Quote:
3. I read that people are starting their EV training at Level 1. Is it even possible to get a Level 1 pokemon without cheating (gameshark/codebreaker/glitches)? Or can pokemon actually be hatched out of an egg at Level 1?
In GEN IV and up when a Pokemon hatches from an egg it will be Lv.1 You can really start EV Training at any Level, as long as the Pokemon has not been in a battle.

Quote:
4. I understand how some natures pokemon have will add 10% in one stat and negate 10% in another or not add/negate a stat at all. But from Serebii's website at the bottom of a page on a pokemon, it says "Hindering Nature", "Neutral Nature" and "Beneficial Nature". How do I know what nature would Hinder/be Beneficial to Bagon? I'm assuming the "Neutral Nature" would be natures that do not add/negate stats such as the Bashful Nature, Docile Nature, Hardy Nature, etc.
Yea your right, neutral dosen't add or subract from a stat, for

Bagon: Jolly, Modest
Beldum: Naive, Naughty

GEN III also has a difference with Attack/Special attack split. So all Dragon and Psychic moves are special, all Steel and Flying moves are Physical (Attack) These are the types of Bagon's evolution and Beldum.
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
drdaylight389
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
1) Bagon evolves into Shelgon and then into Salamence... did you mean Beldum? That's Metagross' first form. And yes, the EVs will be distributed even when it evolves, don't worry!
Lol...Can't believe I screwed that up. Too many things going on in my head with this and other stuff at home....at least, this is the excuse I'm gonna use for the screw up Yes, I did mean Beldum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
2) Yes, you'll get double EVs from Exp. Share even if the infected Pokemon didn't battle.

3) Starting generation IV, Pokemon hatch from eggs at level 1. So yup, it's possible.

4) Salamence's (Bagon's final evolved form) best stats are attack and special attack while Metagross' best stats are attack and defense, so you can make sure it doesn't have a nature that hinders one of those stats. Honestly, either way it's perfectly fine if you're not planning on WiFi battling (which can't be done until gen IV anyway). It pretty much makes no difference in the actual game. You can see Salamence's stat bars here (click) and Metagross' stat bars here (click).

EDIT: It really depends on what moves you plan to teach your Pokemon, though. For example, Metagross learns mainly Psychic moves which are all special attack-based in Gen III and Steel moves, which are all attack-based. So if you plan to have a more attacking rather than defensive Metagross, you can make sure it has a nature that ups its attack or special attack. Opposite for defensive.
Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I think I have EV training down now.
**NOTE** I had to edit out the link to the sites you provided due to me not having 15 posts.

Also, @crazzler, your input is appreciated too. Thank you both!
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
drdaylight389
Beginning Trainer

I have another question on EV Training:

You can only receive 510 EV points total. So if I'm EV training my Bagon in Sp. Attack and I max out his EVs (255 EV points) in this stat and keep battling Oddish's, will I lose some EV points to add to the Speed stat?

For instance, there are 255 points already in the Sp. Att stat. I battle Oddish another 5 times. Will I lose 5 EV points to add to the Speed stat; meaning I will only have 250 EV points to use?

I know I should be targeting 252 EV points max for each stat, but I think I might have forgot to add points once or twice while EV training late last night. So I was just going to give him 255 to be sure I got them all and then move to EV training in speed.

Sorry for the double post...

Last edited by drdaylight389; September 10th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
whaku
Beginning Trainer

Hi guys, im new here.
i want ask 1 quick question?
can someone tell me game pokemon GBA with full pokemon from all pokemon in fire red until all pokemon in diamond, pearl, platinum.
didnt have full its ok, but almost full.

for example magnezone didnt have in fire red, is there gba almost have all? hack version maybe? tell me please.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaku View Post
Hi guys, im new here.
i want ask 1 quick question?
can someone tell me game pokemon GBA with full pokemon from all pokemon in fire red until all pokemon in diamond, pearl, platinum.
didnt have full its ok, but almost full.

for example magnezone didnt have in fire red, is there gba almost have all? hack version maybe? tell me please.
There is no Pokemon GBA game that contains all 386 Pokemon that you're referring to. However; there are hacks out there that have all 386 Pokemon in them. That's all I can say unfortunately, if you want to find them, I'd go look at the Slideshow Showcase in the Rom hacking section. If there is nothing there you want, Google it! :) Hope this helps ~

Quote:
I have another question on EV Training:

You can only receive 510 EV points total. So if I'm EV training my Bagon in Sp. Attack and I max out his EVs (255 EV points) in this stat and keep battling Oddish's, will I lose some EV points to add to the Speed stat?

For instance, there are 255 points already in the Sp. Att stat. I battle Oddish another 5 times. Will I lose 5 EV points to add to the Speed stat; meaning I will only have 250 EV points to use?

I know I should be targeting 252 EV points max for each stat, but I think I might have forgot to add points once or twice while EV training late last night. So I was just going to give him 255 to be sure I got them all and then move to EV training in speed.

Sorry for the double post...
I don't really know what you're getting at, about losing Ev points, but no, you won't lose Ev points once you're at 255. They'll stay at 255.

Last edited by Perrie ✿; September 18th, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Nerdman
Beginning Trainer

Hey everybody, I'm playing emerald and i've hit a wall.

I've beat team magma at Mt. Chimney/their hideout, I have the magma emblem, and I still can't get into Team Aqua's hideout. I've read through walk through guides and wiki answers, but I still can't seem to figure out what I haven't done yet in order to get into the hideout. I'm pretty sure that I haven't met Capt. Stern yet anywhere and I've been wandering around Slateport for awhile now. What else do I need to do because I can't go any further into the game without getting into the hideout.
Could someone try to make something reasonable/helpful out of what I just posted? Or could someone post a link to a really good step by step process of how to get all of this done? I'm sorry if I am a little vague, but I'm kinda burnt out on the whole thing and I could use any help I can get.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
PelipperMail
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdman View Post
Hey everybody, I'm playing emerald and i've hit a wall.

I've beat team magma at Mt. Chimney/their hideout, I have the magma emblem, and I still can't get into Team Aqua's hideout. I've read through walk through guides and wiki answers, but I still can't seem to figure out what I haven't done yet in order to get into the hideout. I'm pretty sure that I haven't met Capt. Stern yet anywhere and I've been wandering around Slateport for awhile now. What else do I need to do because I can't go any further into the game without getting into the hideout.
Could someone try to make something reasonable/helpful out of what I just posted? Or could someone post a link to a really good step by step process of how to get all of this done? I'm sorry if I am a little vague, but I'm kinda burnt out on the whole thing and I could use any help I can get.

Before you travel to Slateport, you must first go to Mt. Pyre. My Pyre is located to the South-West of Lilycove - to get there, you travel left from Lilicove, until you reach the Safari Zone entrance. You should see a little port, and then you travel downwards from there. You will need surf. The mountain looks like this (click spoiler)
Spoiler:

Then you will need to travel to the top (not of the tower, but of the cave) and battle Team Aqua and the Old Lady will give you an orb. From there, I believe, you can travel to Slateport, and after that adventure then you can go into their hideout.

This video should help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ28LlQTa-M

Last edited by PelipperMail; October 5th, 2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old October 30th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Intelligence
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I had this question for months now. I have all 7 Silver symbols in Emerald's Battle Frontier, so what would happen if I went for a gold symbol and lost at one of the trainers? Would I begin from trainer number one or begin halfway?
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligence View Post
I had this question for months now. I have all 7 Silver symbols in Emerald's Battle Frontier, so what would happen if I went for a gold symbol and lost at one of the trainers? Would I begin from trainer number one or begin halfway?
You would go right back to the start and have to do the whole thing over again, but this time you don't have the battle where you would get the silver symbol.
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:59 PM
thegeneticway
"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie

Nature: Relaxed
hi i've researched this question online but it didn't really seem to help me =/

Can you force Chansey to learn Seismic Toss on Emerald? :3

thank you for your future help

Replaying Emerald!

Goals:

National Dex Completed
All 7 Gold Symbols
Master of Contests

... looks like i have a long way to go
Old October 30th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
I'm not sure what you mean by force but in Emerald Version chansey can be taught seismic toss by the move tutor in the battle frontier for 42 battle points. Alternatively there is a move tutor in the Pewter Museum in Fire Red/Leaf Green that will do it for free, albeit only once.
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Dark Symphonia
GENERATION V!

Nature: Serious
My friend has tried fixing the berry glitch by linking up his RS to FRLGE but he says that it does not work on his cartridge despite following the instructions. Does this mean that the internal battery has really run dry and not because of a software bug? If so, what type of battery do we need to purchase to replace the internal battery? Thanks a million.
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
The Void
Comforter, philosopher, and lifelong mate

Nature: Calm
The Berry glitch usually occurs after playing your RS game for over 100 hours or after a year of owning the game. I don't think it has anything to do with the 'internal battery' but even if it does, the solution is not to buy a new one.

Make sure your friend has followed the instructions carefully and try linking up with other games such as Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

If you think you've tried everything you can about this, you can always contact Nintendo and send your cartridge to them as a final resort.z
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
wicketman8
Beginning Trainer

Please I have been trying to find a good team for days and my old thread was locked. It was because I posted in the wrong section. Sydian told me that this would be better asked here. So good team for pokemon emerald, able to get in-game, no legendarys.
PM me/post below. (I don't know how it works here)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

I'd definitely consider starting with Torchic, since Blaziken is probably the best Fire type in the game. Lots of good Pokemon in this region, though. Gardevoir, Ludicolo, Manectric, Flygon, Salamence, Absol, Milotic (if you wanna bother with catching a Feebas), Walrein, tons. It's really up to you though. The other starters aren't too bad either I suppose, but I personally find Blaziken the easiest to use and the strongest.

Is that good enough, or would you like more suggestions?

paired to crono
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicketman8 View Post
Please I have been trying to find a good team for days and my old thread was locked. It was because I posted in the wrong section. Sydian told me that this would be better asked here. So good team for pokemon emerald, able to get in-game, no legendarys.
PM me/post below. (I don't know how it works here)
As Sydian said, consider Torchic for your starter as Blaziken is so strong. It may be weak against the first gym but it won't be a problem if you evolve it by then.

Gardevoir is probably the best to consider for a Psychic-type cos it has a good moveset.

Ludicolo and Milotic are great Water-types to have, although Ludicolo is better since Feebas are so rare.

Sydian also mentioned Manectric, it's a good choice for an Electric-type plus I used one in Ruby and she was one of my powerhouses.

Walrein is nice for a great Water-Ice attacker, because Dragons are so hard to take down without Ice-types. Walrein is also very bulky too, and if you get one with Ice Body, you should give it Hail.

For a good Pokemon for a Grass or Fighting slot, you can't go better than Breloom - I also used one in Ruby and it can hit hard plus it has the Effect Spore ability for disrupting opponents. You can catch Shroomish in the Petalburg Woods plus being Grass-type, it can help you in the first gym. But make sure Breloom has a Rock/Ice/Electric Hidden Power to counter that 4x Flying weakness.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter

Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:57 AM
wicketman8
Beginning Trainer

Thanks Sydian and Hikari10 I will take your advice! That's enough suggestions though!
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
slayerfanx55
Beginning Trainer

Hey guys. I have Leaf green for the VBA. And I'm stuck. I have 7 badges, I've gone to the four islands, I have some legendaries, I've beat giovanni in his gym, and in silph co, but It won't let me go inside sabrina's gym. Any suggestions? I also never beat Gary in the Ship out side of vermilion, and I can't beat him in silph co. He's just there. He won't even acknowledge me. and Giovanni is at silphco too, but I have already beat him, and the CEO guy thanks me when I talk to him. Anything I can do? I also never had to get the tea to get into saffron. I also noticed I have a bad egg..

Last edited by slayerfanx55; December 5th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Sounds like...your game is bad to the max. Did you use cheats to bypass those few battles? Cause that's the only thing I can think of, unless you got a bad ROM.

paired to crono
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here