The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Advertise here
For me, just because you're in a heterosexual relationship, it doesn't mean that you stop being bisexual. And if someone says that you're straight even after you tell them that you're bi, they're erasing/policing your identity. The ones that would "disapprove" of you are the ones with the problems, and you shouldn't have to lie to them (and yourself) to make them feel better.

It's up to you to decide if you tell people you're bi or not. But for me, my sexual identity doesn't change no matter who/if I'm with someone, and I tell people the truth.

Welcome to the club, by the way!
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Nowadays, the female proposes sometimes. I guess as culture accepts that woman aren't always submissive, expected gender roles will change.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Fairy
the hearing pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
For me, just because you're in a heterosexual relationship, it doesn't mean that you stop being bisexual. And if someone says that you're straight even after you tell them that you're bi, they're erasing/policing your identity. The ones that would "disapprove" of you are the ones with the problems, and you shouldn't have to lie to them (and yourself) to make them feel better.

It's up to you to decide if you tell people you're bi or not. But for me, my sexual identity doesn't change no matter who/if I'm with someone, and I tell people the truth.

Welcome to the club, by the way!
I've gotten to the point that I don't tell people unless they ask. So it's really inspiring to hear that you tell people your sexuality shamelessly. Truthfully though, am I censoring myself to benefit other people? Yes. And I'm not necessarily happy about that. But.. I know who I am, and I can't be stripped of that.

However, you're right, it does feel like my identity is being policed. I shouldn't have to doubt something that I know is true and love about myself, especially at my own expense. It's just something that I think about now that my life is in a different place. I really appreciate you're opinion, Astinus. Thank you.
{pokemon fae} {PM me} {friend code}
{dream address} {TSV} {credit}
mega audino; healer

Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post

I've gotten to the point that I don't tell people unless they ask. So it's really inspiring to hear that you tell people your sexuality shamelessly. Truthfully though, am I censoring myself to benefit other people? Yes. And I'm not necessarily happy about that. But.. I know who I am, and I can't be stripped of that.

However, you're right, it does feel like my identity is being policed. I shouldn't have to doubt something that I know is true and love about myself, especially at my own expense. It's just something that I think about now that my life is in a different place. I really appreciate you're opinion, Astinus. Thank you.
I don't feel like it's necessary to tell people your sexuality like that. First impressions tend to be lasting. If your sexual orientation is one of the first things people learn about you, they'll tend to think of you as "that gay person".
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
1) Welcome, Alexial!

2) In answer to the question, I wouldn't bother to "change" my orientation. I wouldn't want to, regardless of whether or not the relationship would last. I'd just be fighting between my body and mind.

In other news, I have a question, similar to the "pill that makes you straight" question, but with much more freedom regarding the answer.

If you could have any one wish granted concerning your sexual orientation, gender identity and physical sex, what would it be and why?

Personally, I would wish to be biologically female (for those who don't know, I'm bigendered and somewhat dysphoric; while I can accept being biologically male and have my days where I'm more masculine, I still try ignoring it since it just doesn't feel right with me during many of my waking hours [and even in some of my dreams >_<]).
Given the option of surgery at the current capabilities of medical science, I would refuse in a heartbeat simply due to the fact that while I would obviously be less male, it still wouldn't be the real thing; it would only look like it from the outside for the most part.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.

Last edited by TornZero; September 2nd, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
So, Bisexuals - Would you "change" your sexual orientation according to your relationship if there were a guarantee that it will last?

Other Sexual Identities - What about you? Hypothetically, if you were Bisexual and in a Straight/Otherwise relationship, would you tell people that you were bisexual despite that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornZero View Post
If you could have any one wish granted concerning your sexual orientation, gender identity and physical sex, what would it be and why?
I will now magically answer all these questions in one muddled response.

First of all, my wish would be for an all-natural all-female body. That would help me with some of my relationship... issues (as well as being just wonderful in itself). At the moment I'm in a, well, a relationship with someone and my identity is somewhat of an issue because I'm... not a common type of person, I guess. It's not the easiest feeling to be transgendered without having had surgery, and to be somewhat attracted to both genders and intersexed people, but at the same time be somewhat demisexual. I mean, I'm okay with myself, but I'm always worried I come off as too weird to other people and it makes me want to be more "normal." I don't really get the chance to have my sexuality just be there without having to explain. Again, not that I'm ashamed much but I would like to be able to keep it to myself sometimes until I felt ready to talk about it.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
A big welcome to Alexial!!!

And thank you Scarf for posting news, I had another 9 hour shift today so I was going to do it tomorrow, but you have given me a wondrous reprieve. Even Raichus need their sleep

As for Alexial's question, the thing about being bisexual is that you don't NEED to change your sexuality to be with anybody. You can be a bisexual person and date heterosexually or homosexually. It's kind of a gift really lol

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornZero View Post

To be more biologically androgynous. I'm not fully female, I'm not fully male, so I want a body that finally reflects that. Or at least a more male look, since I lean towards being male and for some reason, I'm more comfortable passing for male than passing as female.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
This Facebook page has an excellent cause. It's called Wipeout Homophobia on Facebook. I have made a few posts there (just discovered it). I encourage you all to "Like" the page. I'm Josh Newsome, so you can identify my posts.
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Katholic Nun

That's a fantastic Facebook page, I signed myself up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I seem to have some spare energy so here are some news articles to chew on while SR gets some rest.
I gotta say, I'm quite saddened by some of what I read in the first article. I mean, Dancing With The Stars isn't at all important in the great scheme of things, but I thought people would be better than this.

And the Prop-8 supporting Mormon church seems to be on the PR offensive.
I was going to post some news today, but then I realised that we never really got around to discussing the news that Scarf was kind enough to post for me the other day

The one about Chaz Bono I found incredibly interesting. I don't see why it matters that he was born female - he's not female now, he has had the operations and is officially a male, so why bother kicking up a fuss? What is nice, though, is that his fellow contestants are sticking up for him. I was watching E! News and the host asked Elizabetta.... I don't know how to spell her name, but it's George Clooney's ex-girlfriend, and even in her broken English she managed to tell the bigots to get a life.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Esper

Is everyone back in school and not posting here or what?

Oh, there's a good idea for new question (hopefully it's new). How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues? Is it supportive? Are there bullies and other bad eggs? Do you have a GSA on campus? (Those are just sample questions - you don't have to answer them.) Generally, what's it like?

deviantart blog pair
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
My school....is Catholic. Let's start there, lol.

There's a very large, very active unofficial GSA on campus. They've been applying every year consistently for about 15 years, and have been rejected every single year. The reasoning the school gives is that we already have a "Core Council", which is a group of 9 people that decides how LGBT issues and events are handled on campus. The GSA has tried to convince the school that 9 people hand-picked out of a crowd isn't the same as allowing an official club, but I think they're afraid that the older Catholic crowd won't donate anymore if they start supporting a GSA (since being a club means that they get a set amount of money every year from the school).

There was also that scandal the spring before I came here where the school newspaper completely messed up in the comic section...they drew a few characters (a pitchfork and a shovel I believe) making an extremely homophobic joke that I'd rather not repeat. The point of it was that those characters were "tools" for doing so, but people misunderstood and the entire thing was a huge debacle.

Then there were the gay shirts, which were before my time as well...for a few days a lot of people went around campus wearing shirts that said "Gay? Go to hell." That's when the GSA started the campaign of giving away free shirts that say "Gay? Fine by me." and asking us to wear them on certain days, lol.

'Hoy, small fry!
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
I'm not in school anymore, and I really had no interest in LGBT issues when I was, but we did have a GSA, and I know for a fact there was at least one openly lesbian couple in school. I'm not really sure how things were otherwise.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old September 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

I'm Catholic, and my church is a lot more tolerant than most. They can't perform same-sex wedding or domestic partnership ceremonies, but they have openly LGBT church leaders and don't ever preach that "You're going to Hell" stuff. They also don't partake in any of that conversion therapy stuff.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ctrl.Alt.Geak
Swords Master

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues?
I am out of school, but the performing arts school I used to go to was very LGBT friendly. The principal herself was a lesbian and a large amount of teachers were also gay. I remember seeing a lot of posters around the school about support networks and things like that, but we never had our own club. Still I couldnt have asked for a better school. Unfortunately I only stayed for half a year.
My other school was just apathetic to bullying in general so they couldnt care less if someone got called a f** or anything like that.

Old September 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
Quote:
How is your school (or the school you used to go to) in terms of LGBTetc. issues?
My school did not have any GSAs that I knew of. I went to high school in Florida, and as most of us know, homosexuality isn't very widely accepted in the south. But, I saw many openly lesbian couples on campus, one of said couples were two of my best friends. I never saw male gay couples, but there was one guy there who I knew was openly gay. As far as homophobic actions, the only thing I remember is a fellow student getting on my bus and shouting, "Ew, I just saw the grossest thing ever. I just saw two guys kiss." I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that person's reaction was very inappropriate.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Katholic Nun

In Australia, schools don't really have any official organisations that I know of, so we had nothing like a GSA. Pretty much outside of sporting teams and a fairly unofficial yearbook committee, I knew of no clubs or groups or causes or anything. I never really dealt with the homosexuality issue in school at all actually, though my out gay friend did get bullied a fair bit. Nothing physical, just your garden variety teasing and taunts.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM
aRedMoon
Wait for me outside the lines
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aRedMoon Send a message via Skype™ to aRedMoon
My school had a GSA-type thing, and it for some reason got broken up last year. So now we have two new competing ones that are out to get the spot, and they're not very friendly with each other. It's kinda amusing, in a way. One of the reasons is that one of the groups is much more political than the other, which sparks its own issues.

But otherwise, my school is really great. (Remember, I'm a college kid ) This year they've really ramped it up too. We have "SafeSpace" which all the RAs are trained in, and a bunch of other little resources. Move-in weekend, we also had a BIG party/picnic type thing about it too.

<-- Trying to get more involved this year

june 10, 2003 = registered at old pc
march 24, 2004 = registered at new pc
june, 2004 = modded ;;; august, 2004 = quit/fired (point of debate)
december, 2004 = banned ;;; december 2, 2005 = unbanned
june 10, 2008 = omg... five years!
june 10, 2012 = countdown to nine years on pc...
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Renii
Se(Renii)ty

I'm in the last year of high school. My school doesn't really have clubs like that, we have a math club, a computer club, a science club but nothing like GSA or even something like a sports club. Even if we did, we probably would not have an LGBT related club, I hear they do have one here in the university (I live in the university campus)

I very rarely get bullied or anything tbh, I did however get verbal and physical abuse when I was still not out and just another effeminate guy.
(The fact that I don't get bullied anymore has nothing to do with whether I was out or not, it just stopped; I guess people grew out of it.)

I have heard stories like, one of my seniors was humiliated by the principal for having told a straight guy that he crushed on him. He was pretty much a big joke, it makes me sad how everyone used to treat him. Sigh.

Apart from that, the number of out gay guys is increasing, I guess I can expect a revolution in a few years
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
It hasn't really ever come up in our school a lot, I don't think anyone has ever admitted to being whatever, as far as I know that is. But teachers do always get involved when someone is using the term gay as a insult.

There have been these red signs put up in nearly every class room, these are them actually;

This was even put out on a billboard just outside our school;

Old September 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
It hasn't really ever come up in our school a lot, I don't think anyone has ever admitted to being whatever, as far as I know that is. But teachers do always get involved when someone is using the term gay as a insult.

There have been these red signs put up in nearly every class room, these are them actually;

This was even put out on a billboard just outside our school;
I did a blog similar to this. http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=11165

We have a GSA and SafePlace at my school. Most people have no problems with LGBT students. I'd say it's a pretty friendly campus.
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Gothitelle.
<3;

To live up a discussion, do you let it known that your gay or do you just keep it to yourself? (by let it know meaning, post it in your sig or wear a shirt that says "Im gay!" etc)

Old September 9th, 2011, 05:09 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothitelle. View Post
To live up a discussion, do you let it known that your gay or do you just keep it to yourself? (by let it know meaning, post it in your sig or wear a shirt that says "Im gay!" etc)
Like most straight people, I do not where shirts that proclaim my sexuality. Also, like straight people, when they talk about guy/girl interests, I would do the same, and not exclude myself from the conversation b/c I am fearful of revealing my sexuality. Also, although straight people do not proclaim their sexuality, they let us know by talking to us about their significant others, so I do not feel like I am flaunting or declaring that I am gay if I do the same by describing a guy I like, or holding hands with my bf or whatever else may indicate sexuality. If outright asked if I am gay, I will, in most cases, say that I am...Unless it's a creepy guy that wants to get in my pants, then I just say "nahh". lol

I like to keep it a balance between the two extremes of hiding and flaunting, like most people who are heterosexual. Some heterosexuals, men in particular, flaunt heterosexuality by trying to reaffirm to others that they are not gay, and flaunting "manliness"- insecure much. Homosexuals would be flaunting if they inappropriately kept reaffirming to others that they are gay by unnaturally forcing attention-seeking behaviors, but I would not include gay pride events/pride t-shirts as a form of flaunting in the case of homosexuals.

Btw... I have included the iconic color spectrum in my avatar mugshot as a subtle way of showing my pride, but I am not going to put " I am gay" and nothing else, simply because I am much more than just gay. Some people have given me back-handed compliments on my avatar simply because they thought the coloring was gay, but other than it was good - I could really care less! XD

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Last edited by -ty-; September 9th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Katholic Nun

This question bewilders me. Are there actually shirts available that say "I'm gay!"? Well, I'm sure there are - you can make a shirt say anything you'd like, I guess. Also, how is this supposed to 'liven up' a conversation? Random proclamations of sexuality would (to my mind at least) make things awkward if anything.

EDIT: lol, you meant to liven up the discussion here. I thought you meant "oh I'm in a conversation and it's lagging, I might mention that I'm gay to make things interesting". Derp.

PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR

Last edited by Katholic Nun; September 10th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

Oooh boy. A few interesting questions.

Would you change anything about your sexuality/gender?

Yep. I'd be straight in a second. I can't find an actual reason to continue being gay if there was a choice in my sexuality.

What does your school do concerning LGBTQ issues?

Admittedly, my school is a little funny on this subject. The thing is that my town only really has two GSAs. It's a small town, there's only five high schools and some of the people in town have rather conservative mindsets so people are afraid to say anything. My school doesn't have a GSA. The justification or reasoning I suppose is that nobody really tried to make one, and that there aren't a lot of kids that are open with themselves. The administration at my school is incredibly helpful to LGBTQ students, from what I've heard. One of the ones last year didn't help me out at all. Whatever.

The biggest high school in town is incredibly helpful to their students. I've seen it first hand, as they thought a trans* student had been beat up and went full scale in getting down to the source of this. It turned out that they weren't beat up, but the reaction and steps made sure to make sure that the people would have been punished was great to see. The principal is incredibly open minded, and this is where the largest GSA in our town is. It had students from all of the schools come in, and it's starting up for this year pretty soon actually. They were also promised a room (since they just lost a ton of kids) for the GSA, which they are able to furnish and decorate properly. I'm impressed at what that school did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothitelle. View Post
Not really. I don't see why it's anybody's business for who I am. My close friends all know and I'm comfortable with making cracks at myself with them. Random strangers? No not really. I mean I dress how I like, which isn't to flashy or "stereotypical" so whatever.

However I do own a shirt that says "Some dudes marry dudes, get over it." I wear that on the anti-bullying day we have though.

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here