The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 31st, 2011 (09:04 PM). Edited September 8th, 2011 by JX Valentine.
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Oh snap, it's already been a month?

Welcome to the nominations post for Fic of the Month: August '11 Edition! Last month went pretty awesomely, but we're still hammering out the kinks. Hopefully, this month will run smoother, especially if you see anything that needs to be fixed up. Don't be afraid! Speak up!

Here's How It Works
At the end of this post, you'll see a massive list of fics. Pick one to three fics and post their titles here. (Obviously, none of your nominations can be one of your own fics.) If you'd like, you can also explain why you're nominating the fic, but that step is completely optional. The important part is that we get the name of a fic down on our list.

Yes, you can nominate something that someone else has already nominated, although to be most effective, you'll generally want to avoid seconding/thirding/whatevering. As in, while we don't really care at this point if you do nominate something someone's covered, we'd prefer it if you didn't, really.

Nominations will generally last for up to two weeks. In the remaining time that month, we'll gather all the fics that you chose and create a new thread for voting. You'll get one vote, but all of the votes will be anonymous (so don't be shy about your decision). Once that time is up, we'll take a peek at which fic got the most votes. Whoever does will be crowned the Fic of the Month, and the rest of you get pats on the back. If there's a tie, it'll be up to the mods of this section (bobandbill and Astinus) to cast the deciding vote.

Simple and straightforward on your part, right?

Eligibility
To clear things up, not everything that gets posted within a month is eligible for being nominated. Here's the requirements to get on the list:

1. Because this is Fic of the Month, only fics updated within a one-month period are eligible. As in, they need to have posted a chapter (or the entire fic needs to have been posted, in the case of one-shots) on the forums any time between the first of the month to the last day of the month in order to qualify on the most basic level. Announcements, reviews, and review responses do not qualify a thread for nomination if the last chapter was not posted within the same month.

In this case, because we're nominating fics for the month of August, only fics with chapters posted between August 1 and August 31 qualify.

2. SWC fics (i.e., fics written for a writing contest hosted by PC) are not eligible. This is because they already receive attention from said contest, so it's rather missing the point of the Fic of the Month competition.

3. Because this is Fic of the Month, poetry is not eligible.

4. The thread must not have been closed for any reason. Yes, kids, breaking forum rules automatically gets your fic booted from the running. Sorry.

5. Fics that have already won Fic of the Month are also not eligible unless this is a completely new version. For example, let's say IanDonyer's Volkner's Tale had won Fic of the Month in its original version. The new version is still eligible because it's technically a different story. However, if Dagzar's Mentor wins Fic of the Month this time around, it's not eligible for further nominations, even if Dagzar adds new material to it. This is just to be fair and allow multiple fics to have the chance at getting on the rec list.

6. You must post your fic on PC to qualify. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure not that many people would like to download and open a PDF or DOC in order to decide whether or not they'd like to nominate you.

What's In It For Me?: Perks of Being Fic of the Month
If nominated, winners for Fic of the Month will receive the honor of having their fic listed on a stickied archive thread for posterity. (Note: This thread will not be up until after we get something to put in it.) That means more attention can be directed towards your fic, and you get to walk away with bragging rights.

There may be other perks in development as well.

Eligible Fics
Just in case you need a refresher (and because I'm crazy), here's August's batch of fics.

Also, from here on out, instead of attempting to sort everything by update date, all stories are now in alphabetical order. Because I really can't be arsed to sort things by the first update they had each month. Sorry.

Note the first: Before anyone asks, no, articles don't count when it comes to sorting titles alphabetically. Just because you start with "the" does not mean you'll be sorted with the T's.

Note the second: All non-Pokémon fics and crossovers will have their fandoms listed in italics. Fics that have had at least one nomination will also be in bold.

Spoiler:
Anima Ex Machina: Redux by JX Valentine
An Apple a Day by delongbi
Ash's Return by q11e
The Big Letter G! by Gothitelle.
Breaking the Fourth by Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Champion Game by Misheard Whisper
Collecting Badges by OnyxDemon
Coriolanus Rowland's Guide to Pokémon Husbandry by Cutlerine
The Darkened Series – The Trick House by Impo
Dusk by Gigalith
The Female Gallade by MetalShadowOverlord
Grey Winds by Fuyu
Identity Crisis by Giga Flare
Imperfectum by toptheworld
Inazuma Eleven: Twins at Heart by zappyspiker (Inazuma Eleven)
I Should Not Be by Akustar
iUnova by bigtukker (Pokémon/iCarly)
J... E... I... D... V... E... R... S... I... O... N... by 愛点三三
Legendary Adventures by juniebug910
Legendary Pokémon Protectors by Zy-Reji-Mario-Zylon
The Light-Dark War by Dialga's Song of Time (Super Smash Bros./Pokémon)
Marrying Reshiram by justinrpg
Metamorph by GrassSquid
The Middle Ground by FlaafyFTW
MonoCorporation by Euphie
Mr. Dervish by [Imaginative]:[Clockwork]
Much Dismay about Drama by EmeraldSky
My Trip to the End of Time, by Pearl Gideon by Cutlerine
Okamiden Kai by PokeshippingSuicune (Okami)
Opening Night Adventures by EmeraldSky
Orian Adventures – Rising by BLAZEQUAZA
ORIGINS: A Collection of Short Stories by Tomandgreen
The Origins – A Collection of Short Stories by MayanMan2012
Part One by SoulGuardian
Pokémon – Legends of Kanto by Lashh
Pokémon: The Magic of a Melody by Emerald Sky
Prince of Pokémon by pokemonpokemonpokemon59
Quilava's Quest for the Soda by xelarator
Rebirth of Sinnoh – Volkner's Tale by IanDonyer
Reborn by Kyouya (Soul Nomad)
The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum by bobandbill
ROOTS by Haruka of Hoenn
Running the Gauntlet: The Legend of Isabel by EmeraldSky
Sleeping With Sorora by Dragonite Ernston
The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World by Cutlerine
The Traveler's Tales: A Minstrel's Journey by EmeraldSky
Untitled by Nam (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Velo's Days of Time by VelocityQ (Legend of Zelda/Pokémon)
Within My Own Nightmares by Dawn_Hero
You and I…Collide by Gothitelle.

Not Included For Other Reasons:
- Because it's not clear what parts of Full Metal's Gallery are new (and therefore eligible), it wasn't included in this list. Please use the Post Reply button if you want recognition, Full Metal. :|
- Winterwood and the lost Shaymin was not included owing to the fact that its author was apparently not a member of PC.

Other Congratulations:
- Congratulations go out to Cutlerine for actually finishing a chapter fic this month.
- Other congratulations go to EmeraldSky for being insane and posting more updates than anyone else in the forum.

Final Notes!:
The system is still in development, so if you can think of any ways to improve this, feel free to shout it out.

In the meantime, nominations for August's Fic of the Month will run from now until September 14, and voting will be held until October 1.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old September 1st, 2011 (09:53 AM).
IanDonyer
Time to kick ass? Definitely.

Location: Remember? Yeah, I live at that place! At the time, with the thing! =D
Nature: Modest
The Darkened Series - The Trick House

Quick Note, I ain't nominating it, but: Okamiden Kai is actually based off of the Okami series of video games. Therefore, it's fan fiction, not original. =P

Thanks to ShinySandshrew of serebiiforums for the banner!
Old September 1st, 2011 (11:43 AM).
Mizan de la Plume Kuro
Bass, Bass Everywhere!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mizan de la Plume Kuro
The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World by Cutlerine

I definitely think this deserves a spot, if not more attention.
his heart..." - Cutlerine
---

.F a n f i c t i o N.
The Promise I Made to You

SWC 2012 Second Place
Old September 7th, 2011 (06:48 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
We're up to the one-week mark, and we currently have only two nominations. Make this month's run more interesting, folks! There's a lot of great fics that were updated in August, and you have a week left to pick at the very least just one of them. You can even just nominate the ones you've already read if you'd like. Just nominate something so the August FotM doesn't turn out to be a rather boring two-story poll.

Need some light reading?
Old September 8th, 2011 (12:13 AM).
Draco Malfoy
//Renaissance

Because of its beautiful portrayal of women, I'd like to nominate Colli-

I kid, I kid. xP

I'd actually like to nominate Champion Game by Misheard Whisper. MW knows how to write a decent story, and deserves some more attention. Plus I'd hate it if only two stories were nominated. xP

Oh, and hey JX Valentine. XD
Old September 8th, 2011 (03:05 AM).
katiekitten
Is currently: Very happy

x3 I'm going to nominate 'Within My Own Nightmares' by Dawn Hero for now - I quite like her first person. :3 I do need to take a look at the other entrants, though, so expect another post later. x3 <3

Possession - Winner of Fic of the month! (September... 2006) xD
Old September 8th, 2011 (08:22 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Malfoy View Post
Because of its beautiful portrayal of women, I'd like to nominate Colli-
I'm almost tempted to be a terrible person and take this seriously.

Quote:
Oh, and hey JX Valentine. XD
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekitten View Post
I do need to take a look at the other entrants, though, so expect another post later. x3 <3
Sure! It is perfectly A-OK to come back and submit another nomination. We'd just like a maximum of three per person for now.

Need some light reading?
Old September 14th, 2011 (09:37 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Last call for nominees! The poll is going up sometime tomorrow, so get in those last-minute choices N-O-W or forever hold your peace, folks!

Remember: If you've already nominated one fic, you can nominate up to two more.

Need some light reading?
Old September 15th, 2011 (10:49 AM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

The poll is now up, folks, so get to voting!

Also, one of the things I noticed this time around is the sad lack of nominees. :( Only four? Last month, we had more than this, and we got an extra week to decide this time around. This makes me a sad panda.

So, I was wondering: would it be more appealing to you if you had the option of submitting nominees "anonymously" (by sending a PM to whoever happens to be running the nominations thread)? I get the feeling that might make things more comfortable if you didn't tell the world which fic you liked the most. That and it's an option we can do. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do for those of you who are too lazy to interact on these forums busy in real life. (Oh, Jax, you lovely hypocrite you.)

Asides aside, what say you to this?

Need some light reading?
Old September 15th, 2011 (10:54 AM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

It might work better to have the option of anon nominations. Maybe then more people will nominate if they know that their vote won't be seen by others, so there's no pressure on them to vote for a particular fic just because someone that they know wrote it.
Old September 15th, 2011 (02:36 PM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I suppose. I wonder though if anyone was actually unsure or something about it, but then idk if they would want to say that here if that was the case. >_<

Would we just stick to anon ones or just use the thread as usual and leave it as an option if peopl don't want to post publically?

Then again forums/chatrooms have just been less active in general bcause suddenly everyone has school/uni again in the northern hemisphere, or so is my understanding.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old September 15th, 2011 (02:44 PM).
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Would we just stick to anon ones or just use the thread as usual and leave it as an option if peopl don't want to post publically?
I'm thinking we could do both. Like offer people the chance to post it publicly if they really want people to read the fic they're nominating but offer PMing as an option as well. That way, the nominations thread won't be completely nothing but clutter, if that even makes sense.

Quote:
Then again forums/chatrooms have just been less active in general bcause suddenly everyone has school/uni again in the northern hemisphere, or so is my understanding.
That's also true, and it's sad to say there's not much we can do about that. I'm just hoping that this'll make it one step easier for when people settle down and get a few spare minutes to look at fic.

Need some light reading?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links