The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
I don't have a gaydar. rofl
What is a gaydar? Are they expensive?
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
wcdaily
Wizard needs food badly!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
What is a gaydar? Are they expensive?
It's a metaphor, and it's very expensive.
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdaily View Post
It's a metaphor, and it's very expensive.
Really? How much do they cost? Where can I buy one?
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you have to buy them from someone else or make them yourself.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
aRedMoon
Wait for me outside the lines
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aRedMoon Send a message via Skype™ to aRedMoon
I hear you can buy them on eBay.

june 10, 2003 = registered at old pc
march 24, 2004 = registered at new pc
june, 2004 = modded ;;; august, 2004 = quit/fired (point of debate)
december, 2004 = banned ;;; december 2, 2005 = unbanned
june 10, 2008 = omg... five years!
june 10, 2012 = countdown to nine years on pc...
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Esper

Topic hijack!

Vague, open-ended and somewhat philosophical question now, something I'm sure many of us have thought about: what is sexuality for you? Not "what is your sexuality?" but what is it in general, or what is it to you? Did we do this question already? Well, if we did then just ignore and talk about gaydar or whatnot.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Topic hijack!

Vague, open-ended and somewhat philosophical question now, something I'm sure many of us have thought about: what is sexuality for you? Not "what is your sexuality?" but what is it in general, or what is it to you? Did we do this question already? Well, if we did then just ignore and talk about gaydar or whatnot.
I don't think it's been asked yet.

To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation. However, unless people strictly ask about my gender identity, I'll leave that part out. The reason behind this is the fact that most people only care about sexual orientation, and few outside the LGBT community (and plenty in, such as my little brother) have no clue what a gender identity is.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This is an interesting question that I feel like I view different than most people.

To me, your sexuality is who you want to be with. If you're a man that's sexually attracted to both men and women, but only romantically attracted to men so you'll only ever be with men, I would consider that gay. That's a point that I feel I disagree with some people; a lot of people tell me that sexuality is only what you're sexually attracted to, which is why we need the terms to describe who you're romantically attracted to. But imo, if you're never going to be with someone of a certain gender, it doesn't matter if you're romantically attracted to them or whatever.

/controversial xD

'Hoy, small fry!

Last edited by Oryx; September 18th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I guess my opinion is quite bland on this situation. To me, sexuality is simply what gender you're attracted to and how you choose to act on that attraction.
Short and concise is the best way for me to explain my feelings on the situation.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
The funniest thing happened at school. One of the county board members who is known for her extreme homophobia came by our campus to discuss something about taxes. She used a public restroom there, so some lesbian students who live in her district decided that they'd ask her why she is homophobic. She stormed out of the restroom yelling that they tried to rape her. The woman is like 80 years old.
Hold on.. how do you know what actually happened in the restroom? ._. They're not allowed to put cameras in there..
@_@ Though if that is true.. it's quite ridiculous. I'm very sad that homophobia and discrimination exists.. :c..

As for sexuality.. I like TornZero's response with "To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation."
However, I would even go so far as to say someone's identity.. and not just their gender identity. Sex is natural for humans and therefore that's why/ how I can see it is part of their identity.
I guess to better understand what I mean.. take Samantha from Sex in the City for example; her sexuality plays a huge role in her character.. and although sexuality doesn't necessarily has to be public, I feel it still affects who you are as a person :3

Just my thoughts <3
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:19 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Hold on.. how do you know what actually happened in the restroom? ._. They're not allowed to put cameras in there..
@_@ Though if that is true.. it's quite ridiculous. I'm very sad that homophobia and discrimination exists.. :c..

As for sexuality.. I like TornZero's response with "To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation."
However, I would even go so far as to say someone's identity.. and not just their gender identity. Sex is natural for humans and therefore that's why/ how I can see it is part of their identity.
I guess to better understand what I mean.. take Samantha from Sex in the City for example; her sexuality plays a huge role in her character.. and although sexuality doesn't necessarily has to be public, I feel it still affects who you are as a person :3

Just my thoughts <3
I don't know. That's just what she says happened.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Freaky, you're in luck! As a woman, you have one pre-installed, and at "that time of the month", it's even more powerful.

Also, to my mind sexuality refers to physical attraction and physical attraction alone. Most people are lucky enough that who they are physically attracted to and who they are romantically attracted to match up, but for those that don't, I'm happy to use the extra term.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:57 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Freaky, you're in luck! As a woman, you have one pre-installed, and at "that time of the month", it's even more powerful.

Also, to my mind sexuality refers to physical attraction and physical attraction alone. Most people are lucky enough that who they are physically attracted to and who they are romantically attracted to match up, but for those that don't, I'm happy to use the extra term.
Too bad my birth control medication causes me to only have four periods a year.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
oocyst
Bara baby

So many 'LGBTQIPAAOS' people here on these forums!

To me, sexuality is just physical attraction. Like Shining Raichu said, you're lucky when physical attraction and romantic attraction match up. I'm gay, I'm only physically attracted to men, but I can feel attracted to women for their personality (though it doesn't happen that much).
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I could get in on this... Joining. ^^

I reckon sexuality is mainly about sexual attraction but definitely does take emotions into account too. I'm a gay guy and am only really attracted sexually to guys. I've felt for women before in the past but never as anything more than a friend, and have only ever felt more than that towards guys. It just seems that sexual attraction isn't enough to define a sexuality... If that makes sense? You have to be able to love the person too, in my mind.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
I can't imagine being attracted to guys. I love everything physical about women!

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 17
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Esper

I was hoping some of these responses would help me word my own reply to the question I asked, but it’s still just as difficult to describe.

I sort of agree with Toujours that there’s a practical aspect to it. It doesn't feel right to call yourself something that you’re not, except I’m on the fence about whether I feel it’s more important to explain sexuality in terms of what you do or what you are. It’s common to say that sexuality means “attracted to _____” but does it apply if you’ve never acted on your attractions or accepted them? And with someone’s sexual identity, does one have to do something to be that identity or can they simply exist in it?

Like, say you're a guy and you were attracted physically to men, but you felt more comfortable actively engaged in relationships only with women. Are you gay because that's what your attractions are, regardless of what decisions you make? And is your identity completely subject to your biology then, or do you allow for personal decisions to be part of your identity? I don't like the idea of having my identity being completely out of my hands so I feel like there's got to be some level of choice involved in saying "I am _____."

deviantart blog pair
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Snow Phoenix
The transient snowman

Location: A few miles away from a well-known college in a poorly known town.
Nature: Impish
Quote:
AND THIS IS WHY ANDY IS SO SKETCHY @-@ My gosh ;.; Get a boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I was hoping some of these responses would help me word my own reply to the question I asked, but it’s still just as difficult to describe.

I sort of agree with Toujours that there’s a practical aspect to it. It doesn't feel right to call yourself something that you’re not, except I’m on the fence about whether I feel it’s more important to explain sexuality in terms of what you do or what you are. It’s common to say that sexuality means “attracted to _____” but does it apply if you’ve never acted on your attractions or accepted them? And with someone’s sexual identity, does one have to do something to be that identity or can they simply exist in it?

Like, say you're a guy and you were attracted physically to men, but you felt more comfortable actively engaged in relationships only with women. Are you gay because that's what your attractions are, regardless of what decisions you make? And is your identity completely subject to your biology then, or do you allow for personal decisions to be part of your identity? I don't like the idea of having my identity being completely out of my hands so I feel like there's got to be some level of choice involved in saying "I am _____."
Exactly what confuses me sometimes @-@ I've enjoyed my relationship with all of the girlfriends I had. I just never wanted sex or really... any fluid exchange ^-^' From them. But, I personally realized that I was mostly using my ability to form "actively engaged" relationships as a cop out because I don't understand men and they scare me o.o' That's why I've decided to at least try men for a while. Maybe @-@ I have a conceptualized theory of what I'd like in a GUY at the very least

Credits to Jordan. Paired to Mira and ohHeyVaporeon.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Welcome, AlexOzzyCake!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Phoenix View Post
AND THIS IS WHY ANDY IS SO SKETCHY @-@ My gosh ;.; Get a boyfriend
Huh? Sketchy...what? I don't understand lol. What do you mean?

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Snow Phoenix
The transient snowman

Quote:
Welcome, AlexOzzyCake!!!

Huh? Sketchy...what? I don't understand lol. What do you mean?
Oh *hides* I was sure that I had at least another hour until Andy woke up from his bat cave :3 Nyeh... Is got a lot of esplaining to do the next time I see you on msn :3 We'll just keep it at that

And welcome Mr. Cake guy :D *tends to be careless sometimes* I totally misssed that x3

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
How do you feel about self-proclaimed "straight-acting" gay guys who go out of their way to explain or show that they are manly, not effeminate, and even show disdain for transgender related things? Are they trying to seem less pejorative?

I tend to like more masculine men, but I think it is a MAJOR turn-off when they go on to say that they don't look or appear gay, and they hate how other gay's flaunt their sexuality by acting effeminate. I think that like other minorities, this group wants to put another group beneath them. We see it with other minority groups. I think that it reveals a lot of insecurity with the person's sexuality. I have not seen much with lesbians though. Has anyone heard of "straight acting" lesbians? Lipstick lesbian doesn't necessarily mean that they are actively against masculinity in woman. I guess us gay guys are more b**tchy and mean to each other, haha.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Snow Phoenix
The transient snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post
How do you feel about self-proclaimed "straight-acting" gay guys who go out of their way to explain or show that they are manly, not effeminate, and even show disdain for transgender related things? Are they trying to seem less pejorative?

I tend to like more masculine men, but I think it is a MAJOR turn-off when they go on to say that they don't look or appear gay, and they hate how other gay's flaunt their sexuality by acting effeminate. I think that like other minorities, this group wants to put another group beneath them. We see it with other minority groups. I think that it reveals a lot of insecurity with the person's sexuality. I have not seen much with lesbians though. Has anyone heard of "straight acting" lesbians? Lipstick lesbian doesn't necessarily mean that they are actively against masculinity in woman. I guess us gay guys are more b**tchy and mean to each other, haha.
A lot of things here raised a few furs on my back. I quite frankly am one of those more masculine men xD Or supposively some type of "natural switch" thing or something o.o' But, my "masculinity" stems from my desire to be protective. I want to be strong so that I can back up my hubby and kids and so that I can take care of them. I'm also one of my school's poster child because I'll be graduating with 74 college hours and have a clear and distinctive collegiate path -.- And because of that pressure, I don't really get a chance to act "weak." I would never insult someone based on their own pride, although, I probably wouldn't go for a husband that's too effeminate ^-^' I like tough guys too ;.; Or goofy and plucky kiddos xD But, the point is that not all gays are jerks -.- Though I know plenty who are xD

And for the actual topic: Eh. It's how they choice to act. I won't question their reasoning for it because it's their own choice to act how they wish. Not my type of guy to stress something so unimportant (imo), but I can somewhat relate to wanting to act manly o.o Just because I like being manly and consider it a part of my character xD I just don't go out bragging about it and knocking others around o.o

Last edited by Snow Phoenix; September 19th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Saturday's Child
Workin' Hard...

Nature: Quirky
Hi, I'd like to join. OH, obvious intention is obvious. I'm all gay and stuff, and I love it. Short and sweet.

In response to the current topic:
Ugh..."straight-acting gay men?" ABSOLUTLEY annoys the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but if you're gay, you should know you're no less of a man as the next (straight) guy. Don't take it personally, but...yeah. That's it.

I'm done.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ty- View Post

I don't think you can really call that a 'group'. There are just a huge number of different personalities one can have, and being gay really doesn't change that, even if it does conflict with the general gay stereotype. I think that may be part of why people are like that too. They dislike the stereotype, and people who prove it to be true.

Side note:
I've noticed something rather annoying recently. Kids know nothing about Gays. At all. Every single one I've heard talk about the subject either knows absolutely nothing about it, or is extremely homophobic. Usually both. I know they're just kids, but that really reflects badly on their schools/parents. I don't really have a specific question based on this... it's just something that I noticed that annoys me.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
oocyst
Bara baby

Oh I'd like to join by the way.

I can understand why people feel the need to point out that they're masculine. There have been situations where I've been considered less of a guy because I'm gay. Because of that I do sometimes get annoyed because some gay people act effeminate. Some people really are effeminate and I can respect that, but there are exceptions. I sometimes go to these meetings for gays under 18, and more than half of the guys there act b*tchy and I feel like they're being that way because of the stereotype that gay men are effeminate. I feel like they think it's easier to live towards the stereotype because that's how gay men are portrayed. The girls there usually act effeminate, there are a few exceptions to that but not as much as the guys.

Not trying to offend anyone

Sponsored Links

Advertise here