The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMMORPG View Post
wow your trainers are quite impressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~ View Post

Awww Snivy look so adorable <3<3<3

The Snivy's outline is a bit too dark especially on the tail and the can be a bit more shading on the body overall (especially on the tail).

I would comment the other photos, but for some odd reaosn my computer (which I'm using from my job) isn't picking up certain pictures.

TG
Hahah, thanks you guys (and Tatsujin you're comment is noted). Sorry for not being around, but my computer crashed and I lost most everything. Hopefully, I'll have something new to put up soon.
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
I think Trip's camera is a) too rigid and b) has too many black outlines, especially inside the camera (i.e the lense's outline). The sprite's very nice, though.
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Hmmmmm. Don't know if I'm going back to that sprite anytime soon, but if I do, I'll take that into consideration.

So, as you may know from my journal on dA (or my most recent post), I all my sprite stuff when my laptop's motherboard decided to die (like a *****).

And now that I have a computer to use, I'm trying to get back into spriting (once again). Having looked back at my BW Ash Sheet, I decided I didn't like the standard sprite, so I bring you this.

As always, any imput is GREATLY appreciated.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Come on guys, I need some input before I sheet him (again) not to mention some other side projects ...
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
LifeUpStudios
Cheater Trainer

The design on the characters are perfect to me. As Mew had said I do think your Bulbasaur's forehead is a bit too big. But the evolutions are perfect to me.
HACKING!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Hmmm. I think I prefer A out of any of them. B and C seem to be rather skinny. However the thing that's throwing me way off is that the legs seem to be curving outward, like a reverse pidgeon toe. I think if that's changed, it'd look a lot better.

Still looking for spriters for Pokemon Azure! If you're even the slightest bit interested, contact either me or DJClass. More information available on the Azure thread.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

So, for example, you would like B with A's feet?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Ahh, more like A with B's feet? Preferably with B's feet slightly rotated so that the legs are straight.

Still looking for spriters for Pokemon Azure! If you're even the slightest bit interested, contact either me or DJClass. More information available on the Azure thread.
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Hmmm, thanks for the imput. I’ve finally come across a basic build that I like, so you can expect some sprites soon. Well, soonish anyway, I’m having even MORE computer issues. So this post isn’t complete spam, I’ll share this with you guys:

Not going to lie, that’s old. But it is a WIP from (in)famous Pokémon Anime Project which is finally seeing some love again. Stay tuned for some actual good stuff!
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM
= GPR =
Trying to hold on to here...

Location: Illinois... the land of Lincoln, Obama and guilty govenors...
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to = GPR =
Yes, the skinny bodies are just too bizare looking... they seem so compressed... which doesn't make sense to me! You have soooo much more room there, you can add at least two more columns of pixels on either side ^^ fatten 'B' and 'C' up. But I DO NOT like the feet on 'A'. He looks almost as if he's reclining or got knocked on his butt!

I'm excited to see the anime line put into the new style of OW! Though, One OW that is bugging me is the girl you have spotlighted in the center there (Blue hair, orange headband). Her hair is too 'puffed' out. It seems far bigger than it is, the little bangs should be skinnier... and her orange head band would do good to distinguish them... here's an idea, your's to the left, my two suggestions to the right:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
June 6th, 2009 4:14 pm

(avitar by gp_arts39)
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by = GPR = View Post
Yes, the skinny bodies are just too bizare looking... they seem so compressed... which doesn't make sense to me! You have soooo much more room there, you can add at least two more columns of pixels on either side fatten 'B' and 'C' up. But I DO NOT like the feet on 'A'. He looks almost as if he's reclining or got knocked on his butt!
Hah! Good to see you again GPR! Yeah, Im not a fan of the 5th Gen Style, but they're what's current, so I want to try and keep up.

Quote:
I'm excited to see the anime line put into the new style of OW!
Though, One OW that is bugging me is the girl you have spotlighted in the center there (Blue hair, orange headband). Her hair is too 'puffed' out. It seems far bigger than it is, the little bangs should be skinnier... and her orange head band would do good to distinguish them... here's an idea, your's to the left, my two suggestions to the right:

<A href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/helpinggfa.png/][/URL]" target=_blank>
Hate to say so GPR ... But you know how I said the WIP was old? I meant it. Those are 4th Gen Style.

Anyway, I do appreciate your advice, and it's good to see you around again. Also, newest (and more generic) shape for OWs.

Thoughts? I'm going to stick with this unless someone can point out a major flaw. Then it's back to KAP.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Much much better. The OW's shape is a lot more natural than the three that you had before.

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM
lolandbeer
Unhatched Egg

Except inside Venosaur's mouth, it's the most friggin awesome sprite, including Pixel Over I've very ever seen.
My congratulations to you.
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM
= GPR =
Trying to hold on to here...

Location: Illinois... the land of Lincoln, Obama and guilty govenors...
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to = GPR =
Your new ash looks a bit bowlegged :/

It doesn't make sense to me that his hips are wider than his stomach... at least as an overworld... then again, i don't really understand this new ow style of b/w... i'm not really a fan of it though... still, as an original style that you're making, i'm not a fan of the legs... but everything from the hips up looks great ^^
June 6th, 2009 4:14 pm

(avitar by gp_arts39)
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolandbeer View Post
Except inside Venosaur's mouth, it's the most friggin awesome sprite, including Pixel Over I've very ever seen.
My congratulations to you.
Haha, thanks. That's quite the hefty compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSomeone View Post
Much much better. The OW's shape is a lot more natural than the three that you had before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by = GPR = View Post
Your new ash looks a bit bowlegged :/

It doesn't make sense to me that his hips are wider than his stomach... at least as an overworld... then again, i don't really understand this new ow style of b/w... i'm not really a fan of it though... still, as an original style that you're making, i'm not a fan of the legs... but everything from the hips up looks great
GRAH! Contradicting opinions from people whose artistic skills I admire. NO. He's less bow legged then A was ... Darn it GPR, I blame you for not letting me move on and sprite other people! I think I'm going to have to ignore you for now. :T
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM
CrazyShooter
Beginning Trainer

Wow all this is awesome! The shape of the new OW's looks really good, but I think you should close the legs a bit and consequently make them a bit straighter.

BLASPHEMY!
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:43 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShooter View Post
Wow all this is awesome! The shape of the new OW's looks really good, but I think you should close the legs a bit and consequently make them a bit straighter.

Im glad you like them. Your advice is sound, and I've tried it before, but if they're any closer together, then they're connected, and that looks very bad. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Anyway, I present to you my first ever 100% scratch Pokemon sprite.

Spurtler
Indentured Pokemon
Type: Ghost
Ability: ???
Dex Entry: SPURTLER is the ghost of disobedient servants. Its expression is incapable of change.

Thoughts? I swear I'll get back to OWs sometime ...

EDIT: Wooo. 1800. Blah. I need to work on my AP Homework, not be slacking here. L:/

Last edited by GFA; September 10th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFA View Post
Anyway, I present to you my first ever 100% scratch Pokemon sprite.

Spurtler
Indentured Pokemon
Type: Ghost
Ability: ???
Dex Entry: SPURTLER is the ghost of disobedient servants. Its expression is incapable of change.

Thoughts? I swear I'll get back to OWs sometime ...
Hahaha, that's a really good and refreshing design art and concept. I would recommend playing around with the lineart in the teeth a bit, but other than that it's cool-and funky, in some way lol SPURTLER

Generally speaking, nice work on the overworlds and everything. I'll keep an eye on your thread for updates.
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

Oh, ho-ho! That's quite a hefty compliment. ... And yeah, I think the teeth as well as the outline could use some work.

Anyway, Pikachu pixel-over. I sort of rushed it in the end, and I'm not quite pleased with the turn out.

Next time ... Actual OWs?
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Merged several old threads with the current thread. (You might wanna edit the first post)

Also have changed title as requested by owner.
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Bilaterus
ToBe Best Spriter ;)

Nature: Naive
I like Splurter alot and I know this is a reeeally small thing but I think the black for the lines for his (sharp) teeth are too dark, then it kind of draws your attention away from the otherwise perfect scratch sprite!

I think pikachus pose is very good, you must have picked a good original image ;) Well I think the shading of the tail could use some work, and maybe if you could make the arms abit less like knives :P

psst while I'm posting any tips you wanna quickly share about scratch spriting? I'm really super rubbish at it soo anything I should consider?

My (small) site offers help on all things Advance Mapping!
http://advancedfreak.webs.com/

Visit my youtube channel too and check out my tutorials on all things (you guessed it!) Advance Mapping!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedMapFreak
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

Yeah, Spurtler's definitely going to be getting an update at some point in the future. And I agree about your comment on Pikachu's arms, though I personally think his tail is fine ...

As for advice, both Chesu and tnguye3 have good tutortials. I also found it nice when shading to use a Pokemon of similar size/color (in this case Wynaut). I would have used tnyguye3's technique, but I've been having some major hardware issues lately.
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Bilaterus
ToBe Best Spriter ;)

Nature: Naive
Can't wait for Splurter's update :) I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?

Thanks for the links to the tutorials I'll definitely check them oot, and I'll keep the comparing idea in mind!

Firstly just wanna say hope your comp gets sorted out and all, the worst thing is for a skilled spriter not being able to sprite ;)

And can't wait for Splurter's update :) I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?

Thanks for the links to the tutorials I'll definitely check them oot, and I'll keep the comparing idea in mind!

My (small) site offers help on all things Advance Mapping!
http://advancedfreak.webs.com/

Visit my youtube channel too and check out my tutorials on all things (you guessed it!) Advance Mapping!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedMapFreak

Last edited by Bilaterus; September 15th, 2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilaterus View Post
Firstly just wanna say hope your comp gets sorted out and all, the worst thing is for a skilled spriter not being able to sprite
Thanks! (As of now, I have a new one, but I still need to set it up with basic programs.)

Quote:
And can't wait for Splurter's update I'm not sure if its possible but do you think you could post the original image you used for the pikachu?
Oh yeah, sure. Link

Anyway, I said my next update would be an OW. I was right, but I'm sort of disapointed with my turn out. I had meant to turn out more, but I got stuck.

Pikachu, obviously. The reason I'm disapointed is that before the crash, I had a really good one. Like, one of my best sprites ever (even though it was sort of simplistic). This thing ... I just don't know. It's as tall as the Mew OW was (one less pixel then Ash), which isn't bad, but I don't know.

Tell me what you think guys. I'm sorry I don't have more, but the sooner I overcome my road block, the sooner I can get back on schedule.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Pikachu is far to tall in my opinion. The head looks great, but the body is ... there's to much of it haha. It shouldn't be as tall as the people haha. Idk, just fix the length of the body and it'll look great :3

Sponsored Links

Advertise here