The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
You can join? I thought it just a 'post-here-if you're-interested' sort of thing. Oh well, sign me up!
Well it is, more or less, but we keep a list of all the members anyway lol

Now, onto Ctrl.Alt.Geak's article. This is absolutely fantastic, it makes me so happy! There's still a lot of ground to cover, but at least someone has finally done something. There were quite a few things that bugged me in this article though:

Quote:
But the motion has disappointed others like the Anglican Bishop of Tasmania, John Harrower. "I think it's good to keep marriage to mean what it means, and for their relationships to have another term," he said.
"I can't see that that's discrimination. I can see that it's a description of a different sort of relationship.
"A loving relationship between same-sex couples, which is a civil union, a committed partnership, whatever term they might like to have, is a descriptor of that sort of relationship, as marriage is a descriptor of a relationship between a man and a woman."
That made me literally shake with rage. I hate that distinction he drew between the type of relationship. IT'S THE SAME TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP. Also, you jackass, it just so happens that marriage is the term we might like to have. Spheal with it, YOU LOSE. This 'us and them' attitude he's adopted carries a particular note of superiority to which he, of all people, has no right. It also shows the disdain with which "they" see "us".

The bottom line is this; I've said it before and I'll say it again: Separate is not equal, and it's not good enough anymore.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:22 AM
Snow Phoenix
The transient snowman

Location: A few miles away from a well-known college in a poorly known town.
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
As someone who has only come out of the closet to three people (my parents and one very understanding friend), I've spent a lot of time hiding my true self from people left I go through the same experience that happened when I came out to my parents. To be blunt, they did not take it well and practically disowned me.
I just want to wait until I'm not afraid to be judged by those around me who don't agree with my sexuality.
And I haven't told my mother and I don't plan on telling my mother :3 She's already abandoned me 6 times and is making a 7th atempt to abandon me... and that's without being gay :/ Pretty much if my mom loses this lawsuit, she's planning on staying with her brother who hates me and won't allow me into his house. So that would make me homeless and on my own... again. There's no way on plan on pushing things ^-^ Even though I want nothing to do with my mother when I'm finally an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Hey, Chris. xD Thought you were already a member here, but welcome.

I think some people are just afraid, either because of their own issues, or afraid of what others will think of them. All comes to people judging and perceiving others. D; I think a lot of people who are of the LGBT group go through a point where they try to be something they're not.

Feels like I jumped around between all the letters in the title of this thread before I was actually okay with accepting things. xD;
For awhile it say "MAYBE I'M STRAIGHT. MAYBE I'M GAY. OR WAIT MAYBE I'M ASEXUAL. MAYBE I'M TRANSGENDER."
In the end, I'm a couple of things wrapped together and I've stopped labeling it, because I'm just myself.
Though, it took a lot of denial, and acting like someone I wasn't for some time to be able to get there.
*claps hands* Yay for you :3 It's great that people are coming to terms with things xD

Credits to Jordan. Paired to Mira and ohHeyVaporeon.
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM
Ctrl.Alt.Geak
Swords Master

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
The bottom line is this; I've said it before and I'll say it again: Separate is not equal, and it's not good enough anymore.
Couldnt have put it better really. I'm hoping this will be a step forward though and that it does actually succeed, then hopefully other states will follow suit. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Still it was a pleasent suprise (even if a few tossers like to play the "marriage is between a man and a woman" card amoungst other empty arguments) and I will be interested to see where this goes.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hiidoran
used Bone Club...?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Oh, the separate-yet-equal argument. Mhmm, 'cause that worked out so well before the civil rights movement of the United States, and all over the world for that matter. I really wish religious zealots would just realize that their "sacred institution" is no longer about religion at all. It's a legal term. To be married comes with financial and legal privileges that should be shared between all couples who wish to make that level of devotion. No, we shouldn't have to call it something else. Why? Because our relationships aren't any different than that of a heterosexual couples'. No less important - therefore the same. Why should we call it anything different?

Honestly, I don't even think it's about defending the definition of the institution anymore. It's just about discrimination. People can justify it by any means they want, but the bottom line is they're just doing it out of hate. Only difference is most of society looks down upon outright hatred so they need an excuse. Not that this reason stops everyone...

About the whole "acting straight" thing...

Really, just be who you want to be. If you're naturally more masculine and like to do more characteristically, and I use that term lightly, "straight" things, then by all means do. If you like to express your more characteristically feminine side, then do so. However, it's not really okay for the gay community to turn on each other over something so petty. Personally, I find masculine gay guys more attractive, so I've run into my fair share of guys who think it's wrong to "act gay," even though they clearly are themselves. How exactly can you "act" to be something you are...? You mean don't "act effeminate." Still kind of hurtful to say so, but at least use correct, not-so-stereotypical syntax.

...and on a more friendly note. Hey there! o/ Larry would like to join, please~
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Hello Larry, welcome! I've been hoping to get to know you for a while now, hopefully this will present the opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiidoran
No, we shouldn't have to call it something else. Why? Because our relationships aren't any different than that of a heterosexual couples'.
This randomly reminded me of a really touching moment on Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List. I'm not sure if any of you have ever watched it, but yeah lol. In an episode in Season 5, she visited a home for LGBT teenagers who had been thrown out on the street by their families for being gay. There was one scene where she was sitting with them in their bedroom talking about gay marriage (because they were to attend a rally the following day). One of the boys said to Kathy, "It's just love. I mean, sure, it's a different kind of love, but..." to which Kathy just shrugged and said, "Well... maybe not so different." That scene always gets to me.

If anyone's interested, the episode is called "Norma Gay", I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The episode was nominated for an Emmy which it should have won, it's a really good hour of television.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiidoran
their "sacred institution" is no longer about religion at all. It's a legal term.
This.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
Esper

Self-Proclaimed Prophet Links Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell with Mass Bird Deaths.

Did I get your attention?

deviantart blog pair
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Looool. I like how she just ignored the fact that birds died in Louisiana days later. Also, I find it amusing that they're using the term "American Way" - if the law now says something different, isn't the law the American way now? :P
PM
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Damns this place posts so often I can't keep up. ^_^;
So, how do kids with same sex parents address them? Mommy 1 and Mommy 2?

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Say wuuuuuuuut?

I actually laughed out loud at that.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
Damns this place posts so often I can't keep up. ;
They could get rid of the "mom and dad" thing altogether and call their parents by their first name. Or they could even both just be "Mom", or both "Dad".

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Her views & her leopard print coat are so outdated. And since when are Christian beliefs considered "the American way"?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
-Jared-
Certified Responsible Adult
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Lolwut? I mean, I am Christian, so of course I believe it could be possible, but I think there would probably be lots of other instances where this could happen, but as far as I know (which is admittedly little) this hasn't happened before sooooo, this isn't likely. XD
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornZero View Post

They could get rid of the "mom and dad" thing altogether and call their parents by their first name. Or they could even both just be "Mom", or both "Dad".
I have a friend who has two dads and he calls them by their first names. But he refuses to tell most people at school about this... It's a shame, they're perfectly lovely people, he's just embarrassed about them. He did have a mum till he was 10 though, so I suppose that could be something to do with it. Do you guys think it'd be harder to adapt to having two dads after years of having a mum, or do you think it doesn't make a difference?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
oocyst
Bara baby
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Bold
Quote:
I get so annoyed when Christians act like they created the concept of marriage and therefore have the right to define what marriage is. Marriage exists all over the world in many different cultures and it's different everywhere. I'm so happy to live in a country that just celebrated their 10-year anniversary of gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornZero View Post

That's not even that weird to me, I'm used to calling my mom and dad by their first names.. I suppose that would be the best solution, but calling them both Mom or Dad should work too.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
wcdaily
Wizard needs food badly!

Quote:
*Facepalm* Personally, and this is just me, but I don't believe anything in the bible was god's principals that she speaks of. The bible was written by men and has flaws, it was not written by god. Also, if god didn't want gay's to exist, then why did he create them in the first place? (That is if he does exist.)

Last edited by wcdaily; September 23rd, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapal642 View Post

Lolwut? I mean, I am Christian, so of course I believe it could be possible, but I think there would probably be lots of other instances where this could happen, but as far as I know (which is admittedly little) this hasn't happened before sooooo, this isn't likely. XD
I'm a Christian too, and there's no way God did this, regardless of the reason. He does not do or create bad things, in fact, 9 times out of 10 he will bring as much good as possible out of bad things that happen. (At least, on a large scale, like 9/11 etc.)

So he would never create a storm, or kill people/animals over... well, anything. That's just my belief though, I guess it could be different in other denominations.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Hiidoran
used Bone Club...?
Community Supporter

My sister is actually gay as well and has a son. He's still pretty young, but he's always called my sister "mom" and her partner by her name. I mean, he knows his dad, so he knows the situation a little bit.

Last edited by Hiidoran; September 26th, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Was on the mobile app...
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
-Jared-
Certified Responsible Adult
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
I'm a Christian too, and there's no way God did this, regardless of the reason. He does not do or create bad things, in fact, 9 times out of 10 he will bring as much good as possible out of bad things that happen. (At least, on a large scale, like 9/11 etc.)

So he would never create a storm, or kill people/animals over... well, anything. That's just my belief though, I guess it could be different in other denominations.
Actually, I agree completely. All God does is use bad events to create good things. Although this is probably getting off topic a little, so...>__>

For same sex parents, I remember an episode of Law and Order had a child call her mothers "Mommy Jane" and "Mommy Clarice" (making up names here. XD). That would work, I think.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
I have a friend who has two dads and he calls them by their first names. But he refuses to tell most people at school about this... It's a shame, they're perfectly lovely people, he's just embarrassed about them. He did have a mum till he was 10 though, so I suppose that could be something to do with it. Do you guys think it'd be harder to adapt to having two dads after years of having a mum, or do you think it doesn't make a difference?
I'd say it's difficult to adapt since you'd be accustomed to opposite-sex parents, but once you start to get used to it, it wouldn't be as hard.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
So he would never create a storm, or kill people
Bible says different lol.

Anyway, I watched that video and I have two words:

"Lol religion"

I try not to be that way, I try to be open-minded but then I see something like that and it just catapults me right back lol. I could not stop laughing the whole way through. That woman is ridiculous. I would go searching for a "Haters Gonna Hate" gif, but it's so ridiculous it's really not worth that, and y'all know how I feel about right-wing Christian nonsense anyway

As for the what do you call two same sex parents thing, I remember Ellen interviewing Wanda Sykes once and her saying that her kids call her and her wife "Mommy" and "Mama". Her wife is French which helps that but there is more than one way to say Mom.

Last edited by Sodom; September 23rd, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the Great Flood. After that happened, God created rainbows as a promise that it would never happen again in the future. Things are just different now anyway. Back then he was very much a part of the everyday lives of people, but nowadays he can't do anything directly unless specifically asked to do it through prayer.

The Volcano Pokemon

Last edited by QuilavaKing; September 23rd, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Quote:
The bible is a conspiracy to overthrow the government and promote terrorism. I thought everyone knew this? Surely you of all people were aware of this, Andrew!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
wcdaily
Wizard needs food badly!

I think this comic strip might help explain what I think of the previous debate. (Not the previous post, I actually thought it was pretty funny.)

Now before this thread goes off in the wrong direction, lets just stop and carry on...

It seems now people are starting to accept gay rights, gay marriage, etc, but it seems that it isn't not completely accept, and is not considered the norm. How do you feel about the world's current acceptance on the subject?

Last edited by wcdaily; September 23rd, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

<script type="text/javascript">
var d=d. getSenseofHumorousIrony();

if (SenseofHumorousIrony=true)
{
post.write("OMG THAT'S SO FUNNY!!!");
}

else (SenseofHumorousIrony=false)
{
post.write("I think this comic strip might help explain what I think of the previous argument.

[IMG]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png[/IMG]

Now before this thread goes off in the wrong direction, lets just stop and carry on...

[B]It seems now people are starting to accept gay rights, gay marriage, etc, but it seems that it isn't not completely accept, and is not considered the norm. How do you feel about the world's current acceptance on the subject?[/B]");
}
</script>
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
-ty-
Don't Ask, Just Tell

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
Damns this place posts so often I can't keep up. ;
Well, think of other relatives that share similar titles.

Options for same title relatives:

1) Grandma/Nana and Grandpa/Papa
2) Uncle Mike/Uncle John
3) Todd/Emily (siblings)

Equivalent Options for same-sex parents:
1) Dad/Papa/Daddy and Mom, Mama, Ma, Nana, Mommy, Mum
2) Father John and Father Mike (this one doesn't bode well in my opinion unless you have priests/priestesses for parents, haha)
3) John/Mike and Jen/Sara

Option 1 seems like the best option. Allows creativity, but many couples find success in doing this without confusion.

Option 2 is bad!! haha

Option 3 is all right, but I don't think it is very interpersonal.

Don't be a rotten apple!
Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links