The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:32 AM
oni flygon
:)

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Pikachu
Cliches and poor similies - examples

dark: Dark as night, dark as midnight, etc.
black: Black as jet, black as midnight, etc.
What do you expect authors can compare to other things black?
Black as stone? Black as my keyboard? Black as my pencil sharpener? Black as sewer water?

Quote:
blue: Blue as the sky, blue as the sea, blue as the lake, etc. (Some seas and lakes are red when the sunrise is above 'em ) (OU.)
Yes, but generally, aren't they portrayed as the color blue? Like I said above, what do you expect authors to compare blue with? Blue as a Winows XP toolbar? Blue as bed sheet? Think, dude. We might be creative but it's sometimes important to use your so-called "cliched similies."

Quote:
Try and be original.
...right...
Black as my battery charger. Black as the fence.

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM
Iveechan
based on a paperclip

Send a message via AIM to Iveechan
I like oxymoron settings. That is, opening a story with a bright and sunny days but somethong horrible happens a moment later, or a trainer who is excited about going to professor Tree's place to get a new Pokemon but it's a gloomy and rainy day. Just as in real life, the environment can contradict the mood. Like how it was sunny yesterday but I had a lousy day at work :/.

Old November 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Smilies and metaphors are rather lower level language skills that don't really contribute to major ideas or themes. They're just stepping stones to achieve those goals.

First of all, all of those things that you listed are smilies, and smilies are so drilled into our head that they just come out naturally really. I didn't even count them as lit. device for part of the bonus when I review, because they're that common. They've been worked into our culture to just be part of our "normal conversation." Unless the similie is an oxymoron, contradiction or anything out of the particular, we really don't need to keep an eye out for them, even.

Metaphor is just as easy to write, but a lot more difficult to use a metaphor effectively, and is very often important if it is used effectively. However, I really don't see too many of them in use here.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:12 AM
Kylie-chan
the fae sorceress
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quiet
Argh. Go and argue with my English teacher.

She'll knock ya down.

Like I said, I. Have. Had. A. Bad. Day.

I don't need a hat-trick of tears.

Try debating with some kids in my class.

I don't need this blow in the guts after the day I have had.

Black as your battery charger. OMG.

Use the English language properly.

Whoops, there's the hat-trick! I'm crying right now!

Hope ya are happy.

Someone's smiling.

Someone's crying.

One's got the really low end of the deal.

(I wonder who that was...)

Find yourself someone else to hit. I don't need this. I'm tired, crying, and depressed.

Black as your pencil.

Actually there are some very nice red pencils out there... *rolls eyes*

Signing off with a splash of tears,
D *tear smudge* P

あの交差点で皆がもしスキップをして もしあの町の真中でてを繋いで空を見上げたら
Old November 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
emeraldslay
Obsessed with Mew/writing

I have a question about fan fics. What are one shots and hoennshipping fics? I have absolutely no idea.
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
oni flygon

oneshots are the equivalent of a short story

Hoenshipping is BrendanxMay stories. Unless you learn the basics of what shipping is, you won't understand, of course.

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old November 27th, 2004, 06:31 AM
emeraldslay

Right... so what is a shipping fic then?
Old November 27th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
Shipping fics is when you believe aa certain relationship pair up should occur.

Like, if you believe Ash and May should go together, it'll be => Hoennshipping. Kenta and Marina => Questshipping.

Take a look a oni flygon's sig. He believes Yellow and Green sohould go together, and Yellow x Green => Feelingshipping.

Dun ask me how they made up these names...because I mainly just picked them up. XP

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
Isn't Ash and May Advanceshipping...?

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

got the shipping mixed up, Lily ;p

Most Common/basic fanfic shippings:

Pokeshipping- Ash (Satoshi) / Misty (Kasumi)
Gymshipping- Brock (Takeshi) / Misty (Kasumi)
Hoennshipping- Brendan (Yuuki) / May (Haruka)
Advanceshipping- Ash (Satoshi) / May (Haruka)
Questshipping- Kenta / Marina (NO I refuse to tell you what are their TERRIBLE dub names!)

Hmm... Lemme do some research, along with major copy+paste from pokespecial.tk and make a small list of all shipping? =p
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

okay okay, I admit.

I'm not an advid shipper of any sort...all I remember is the hoennshipping. How do you remember these things? XD

lol kthx..

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
emeraldslay

Thanks! Finally, I know! *dissapears*
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:53 AM
.::t w i l i g h t::.
Look! I blink!

A real living example of this ugliness is Yuna the Umbreon.
:confused: :dead:

um....I'm really sorry?

...hey, I'm not ugly!

; um...please don't ban me or anything....bye...
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni flygon
Narrative C: Script narrative

This is usually discouraged because stories in script narratives are either absolute trash, or its definitely worth reading. Currently, I havent come across a good one yet...
hey Oni, I was just looking through this thread again and notice this line. Assuming you read my fic, and had as many good things to say about the writing as every other person to review it, would you mind editting it?

Last edited by Yamato-san; December 18th, 2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Neo Pikachu
Forever Gold

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato-san
hey Oni, I was just looking through this thread again and notice this line. Assuming you read my fic, and had as many good things to say about the writing as every other person to review it, would you mind editting it?
It's usually discouraged because that's not the way most actual books appear. Also, in my opinion, it's a lot more touch and go, whereas a narritive style book usually touches base more on feelings, emotions, thoughts, environment, and considerations. Script is also used a lot more for humor purposes, and from seeing your fic, it's a lot more on the serious side.

Fan Fictions in Script can be quite good though, Hoenn Mirror World is a good example of a nicely written fan fiction in script format. Yes, it's your fic and you decide what you want to do with it, but I'm sure Oni is just trying to point out to new authors that Script format really shouldn't be used as a crutch to write a fic faster.

Old December 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Yamato-san
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via AIM to Yamato-san
are you calling Houen Mirror World's scripting better?
Old December 18th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Actually, in terms of scripting, Houen Mirror World is more of a hybrid scriptfic-narrative , as Houen Mirror World still has narratives. I did try to read Houen Mirror World, but I'm terribly picky on scripting formats because I just can't stand a scriptfic without stage directions >>; If you must insist on judging Houen Mirror World's format, it's either classifying it a hybrid, or call it a 6/10 for format correctness... missing out on the stage direction is a terror for a scriptfic, and it just instantly loses a lot of its meanings...

Script-fanfics are no way forced to humor, and in fact most professional script-novels have very serious themes. Miller's "The Crusable" done almost entirely in script besides the background context talks of religious fear, which is quite a controversial and serious topic (along with sexual immorality, manipulation, and many other themes). It's a script, and it's serious.

When a script fanfic is written nicely enough (almost impossible in a fanfic skill level of writing though), it conveys much more than what a 3rd person narrative can do.

1st person excel in first hand feelings and giving readers a sense of closeness. Script convey to us a theme/themes as we analyze the action of a character and how this theme affects whatever they do. 3rd person is the mixture in between. Narratives are more personal, while script always look on an issue as a whole, but both can talk of character emotions just as well.
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

I decided to read through all the rules 'n' stuff, and there's a lot of it that I definitely dispute. These are just my rebuttals from my long (prize-winning) experience as a writer:

Quote:
-Oneshots (stories with just one chapter) should be at least 1400 words long
No way. They can be as short as you want them to be. There's no point pulling out certain stories to three times their original length. The story stagnates and becomes ultra-boring. Better to keep it simple but moving along properly.

Quote:
-Always have descriptions! This is not a movie. Your readers rely on your words to "see" whats happening. The more detailed your story is, the better.
Oh no you don't. See what I wrote just above. Description is good, yes, but most people tend to overwrite and again, the story stops moving. I hate reading stories that stop moving. Action is always more important than description, except in a certain type of writing that focuses only on one very small occurrence. If you write your action properly, it serves as description as well. I can't be more specific than that - types of action often describe a person's personality. "Creeping" is different from "plodding", for example.

Quote:
Dont use "said" without adverbs. "Said" is the most boring verb in any Fanfiction. Use adverbs to help out, or use alternative words like commented, asked, exclaimed and so on.
Quote:
Never overuse "said." Use it only once if you have no option. Use other words such as replied, exclaimed, asked, questioned, explained, phrased, called, etc. There are many more than just that.
This is actually a much-believed myth. Don't get pulled in. As a kid I used those words a lot, before I realised they really made my writing seem overwritten. "Said", if used properly, is more poignant than many other words. Using one of the "non-said words" really wrecks the flow in some cases. What's more boring than something like...

"Hello," Ash said quickly.
"Oh, hi," May said shyly.
"Look at the stars," commented Ash. He put his hand on May's shoulder.
"Oh, wow! They're bright," exclaimed May.
"Do you like astronomy?" asked Ash.
"I love it," replied May with sparkling eyes.

That could be rewritten to sound more interesting:

Ash glanced around. "Hello."
May smiled shyly. "Oh, hi."
"Look at the stars," Ash said, resting a hand on May's shoulder.
"Oh, wow! They're bright," exclaimed May.
"Do you like astronomy?"
"I love it," said the girl, the stars reflected in her eyes.

And see, I used one adverb - and not with a "said" - only one "exclaimed", two "said"s. And that sounds much better than the one with two "adverb-said" combinations, a "commented", an "exclaimed", an "asked" and a "replied". Not that the fragment was particularly interesting in the first place, though.

Quote:
Also, try to use as many adjectives in order to make your descriptions a bit more colorful.
Overuse of adjectives ruins a story. I look back at some of the writing I did as a seven-year-old fourth-grader (that received top marks) and I wince, just because of the number of adjectives.

*giggles* OK, that's enough nitpicking for now. Just tell me if you want me to pick on you more... you horrible ex-pair, you. XD *chases another ex-pair (Alex)*

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."
Albert Einstein

"What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics."
Benjamin Franklin

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty – a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Bertrand Russell

avatar and signature by FoxHound

ANNOY ME AT YOUR PERIL. I am becoming increasingly tired of the unmanly elitism and closed-mindedness of certain members who shall remain unnamed.
Old December 28th, 2004, 02:29 PM
oni flygon

Frosty wrote the first post, not me. I just posted it using my account...

Pocket Monsters Special!
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Amara
No way. They can be as short as you want them to be. There's no point pulling out certain stories to three times their original length. The story stagnates and becomes ultra-boring. Better to keep it simple but moving along properly.
I think he means by one shots in general, but not all the time, since majority of the one shots can be quite detailed and long. Certainly short one shots are possible, as long as the meaning and point is taken across.

Quote:
Oh no you don't. See what I wrote just above. Description is good, yes, but most people tend to overwrite and again, the story stops moving. I hate reading stories that stop moving. Action is always more important than description, except in a certain type of writing that focuses only on one very small occurrence. If you write your action properly, it serves as description as well. I can't be more specific than that - types of action often describe a person's personality. "Creeping" is different from "plodding", for example.
Again, descriptions in general. Many people prefer stories that are descriptive, although of course simple description is perfectly fine, as long as it's legitimate and satisfactory. =D

About the whole issue with 'said,' I was given the impression it meant something like:

"Hello," Marie said.
"Hey," Sam said.
"It's a nice weather today," she said.

...something like that, probably implied as overusage?

I suppose ya better ask frostweaver. o.o;

Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
lex
PEEWEE!!! ^_^

I dont know if this is the place to ask but what is a fanfic? Im sorry if there is another thread for this but can someone tell me
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Fanfictions are simply stories over the internet that you make, based on characters with disclaimers, such as Pokemon, anime, TV shows and Video games.

Your own original idea isn't a fanfiction though.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
lex
PEEWEE!!! ^_^

Oh thankyou very much! But why is'nt your own original idea a fanfic?
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Dragonfree
Teh Spwriter. :3

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Dragonfree Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dragonfree
Because then it's not a *fan*fic; a fanfic is always based on some other, existing work.

Still not going to sprite for your fangame. Sorry, but I don't really sprite or give out permission for people to use my fake Pokémon anymore.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
lex
PEEWEE!!! ^_^

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here