• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Dark and Disturbing Cartoon Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Has anyone here heard some of these? They are basically a type of "Wild Mass Guessing" that involve grimdark therories about certain cartoon, anime, and video game series. Here's a few I found that were very interesting:

There's a theory that interprets Ed, Edd and Eddy's entire cast of kids as all being dead and living in a purgatory of an eternal childhood cycle (originally an eternal summer, but then they started going to school), thusly the complete lack of any adults in the purgatory. They're are a number of explanations for their deaths, ranging from basic deaths such as an explosion due to a gas-leak in the neighborhood, to apocalyptic ones such as nuclear explosion or the spread of a deadly disease that killed most of middle-America. A related theory suggests that the kids in the cul-de-sac are dead children from the neighborhood, each from different time periods (Johnny and Rolf from the 40's, Kevin from the 90's, Naz from the 60's, Jimmy from the 00's, and so on).

There's also the theory that the entire world of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is merely the imagination of a deranged human girl in an insane asylum named Pinkamena Diane Pie (in other words, Pinkie Pie), as her way of coping. Pinkie Pie is simply a split personality of this girl, whom is incarcerated for murdering her parents and friends because her dolls told her to, think about the fanfic "Cupcakes" for a minute, then make the infamous grimdark fanfic take place in the real world with humans, because that's basically what this theroy it to an extent.

There's also the "Ash Ketchum comatose" theroy (which I bet some of you have heard of), an Animal Crossing theory similar to the MLP one above, and countless others. Discuss and post other dark cartoon theories you have found.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2011
The theory on Animal Crossing has nothing on that animated gif with the true(?) story of one woman's mother playing the game, dying, and the child coming back to play the game to find all the presents she had sent.

A lot of cartoons exist on oversimplification. When you're a kid, this oversimplification doesn't really bother you. But the older you get, the more you become aware of the oversimplifications - and you become aware of the fact that the world doesn't work as smoothly. And you probably get a little cynical, too.

I rather like all of the conspiracy theories. Yeah, they're over the top. But they're amusingly over the top.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I never heard the Ed, Edd, and Eddy theory. I liked it, honestly. It's just amusing to read. Too bad it ended a while ago.

The Ash Ketchum Comatose is just ridiculous. Most of the theory says that they are based on Ash's memory, but most of these memories occurred after he was in his supposed "coma".

I miss the simplistic nature of cartoons now. Everywhere I turn, I'm more aware and now understand that cartoons just don't make sense, just as Haypalyce said.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
Years
I read the EEE theory a few years back and it still haunts me. It's quite terrifying, actually. I've never actually thought of that until I read it, and it makes a bit of sense. It's still quite sad, though. I've read a lot of those theories and it really hurts because it's basically raping my childhood.

Years
I have a small collection of these.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spongebob
I have been a fan of SpongeBob Squarepants for years and think that the depth of the characters is one of the things that really makes this show work. Ever since I heard Mr. Lawrence say (in an audio commentary on the Season 1 DVD's) that Stephen Hillenburg based the 7 main characters on the 7 Deadly Sins, I couldn't help but be very fascinated. I think I've figured out which character is each one.
-SpongeTronXYZ of the Toon-Zone forums

1.Sloth- Patrick
Sloth is the sin of laziness, or unwillingness to act. Obviously this is Patrick. He lays under a rock all the time and doesn't really do anything. In fact in the episode "Big Pink Loser" he got an award for doing nothing the longest.
2.Wrath- Squidward
Wrath involves feelings of hatred and anger. Squidward hates his life, usually hates SpongeBob, and is pretty much angry most of the time.
3.Greed- Mr. Krabs
Obviously Mr. Krabs is greedy and desires money. How could Greed not be Krabs? He actually sang about the power of greed in "Selling Out".
4.Envy- Plankton
Plankton is envious of Mr. Krabs because The Krusty Krab is a success while The Chum Bucket is a failure. His envy drives him to try to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.
5.Gluttony- Gary
I actually think this one is pretty funny. Did you ever notice the running gag in Spongebob where they say "don't forget to feed Gary" or Sponge says "I gotta go feed Gary". Gary even ran away that time when SpongeBob forgot to feed him. Glutony usually refers to the overindulgence of food so I'm guessing this one fits him pretty well.
6.Pride- Sandy
Sandy takes a lot of pride in who she is and where she comes from. She takes pride in the fact that she is from Texas and likes to let everyone know it. She also takes pride in the fact that she is a mammal and a land creature, like in the episode "Pressure" where she tried to prove land critters were better than sea critters.
7. Lust-SpongeBob
OK, I know what your thinking. It does seem a little weird and curious at first but I have given it a lot of thought. Lust in one definition is "excessive love of others". I think this one works best for Spongebob. He shows his love of others with his over eagerness to do good and help people. If anything is true about SpongeBob its that he loves everyone around him, even if they don't exactly love him back.
Collected From: http://cartoonoveranalyzations.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And my favorite one, Handy Manny:
I have a theory about Handy Many on Disney:

Manny was a decent guy with a wife and some kids who had gotten a job as a handyman in Sheetrock Hills after he and his family moved there. Manny was good at his job, while he didn't make a whole lot of money he was able to save a lot by building most of his house himself and doing all of the upkeep and whatnot for free.

One day while Manny was out working, there was an electrical fire in the house due to bad wiring and the house burned down, killing Manny's wife and children. Manny blamed himself and suffered a psychotic break.

Eventually Manny was released from the mental hospital and went to his workshop to find his toolbox and tools, a gift from his family when he became a handyman and the only memento he had of them. To Manny's surprise, his tools begin speaking to him and moving around the workshop. Manny realizes he doesn't have to be alone anymore because his tools are his friends. Manny forgets he ever had a family, replacing them with his beloved tools.

The other people in the town play along with Manny's madness because he was a decent guy and they feel bad for him, when he starts waving his tools around and speaking in different voices they react to the tools as if they were alive because they don't want to remind Manny of his loss.

This is why Manny is only ever called for very easy jobs like fixing one wooden stair or replacing a bar on a baby crib; the people don't trust Manny to do anything more difficult. It is also why Kelly gives Manny whatever supplies he needs without asking him for any money. Mr. Lowpart pretends to be a bumbling moron, but he actually makes sure Manny has enough to eat and that all of his bills are paid on time, since Manny is too busy playing with his tools to take care of things like this.

Collected From: /x/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And two more...
Also harvested from /x/.

Please excuse me for the poor formatting, if you really care you'd read them though.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
I never heard the Handy Manny theory before, but that one is very interesting...

I heard the strange theory that the entire series of Digimon Savers/Data Squad was all a simulation on Izzy's laptop.

And speaking of computers, there's the disturbing theory that the world of Mega Man Battle Network is a dystopian future with no internet freedoms, with the mere mention of downloading a simple file (whether it's illegal software or not) is met not necessarily with outright deletion, but incredibly heavy and imposing restrictions or fines, since everyday life has become so ingrained to the internet that even the stove is connected to the internet. The Undernet, while being the home to the most dangerous criminals on the internet, is the only remaining place in the entire internet that still shares information freely and without limits or fear of persecution, and the users of the Undernet are the only people who make a stand for the freedoms the internet is supposed to represent (despite most of them being terrorists). Now imagine if the real life internet was like that...

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
Hahaha, I have never heard of the Animal Crossing one, and the EEnE one is simply epic. I love that one, I'm going to send that to my friend.
The Ash Ketchum one is actually the one I find the most depressing. I mean, it's all a dream. XD I love it, but hell. The poor boy will wake up one day and shoot himself... Pikachu the Pokemon turns into Fifi the Poodle. lol. Mr. Mime turns into Jeeves the butler. XD Hahaha, reality can suck.

I can tell though...
People have way too much time on their hands to be coming up with this stuff, I mean, seriously, but it's totally worth it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
And my favorite one, Handy Manny:
I have a theory about Handy Many on Disney:

Manny was a decent guy with a wife and some kids who had gotten a job as a handyman in Sheetrock Hills after he and his family moved there. Manny was good at his job, while he didn't make a whole lot of money he was able to save a lot by building most of his house himself and doing all of the upkeep and whatnot for free.

One day while Manny was out working, there was an electrical fire in the house due to bad wiring and the house burned down, killing Manny's wife and children. Manny blamed himself and suffered a psychotic break.

Eventually Manny was released from the mental hospital and went to his workshop to find his toolbox and tools, a gift from his family when he became a handyman and the only memento he had of them. To Manny's surprise, his tools begin speaking to him and moving around the workshop. Manny realizes he doesn't have to be alone anymore because his tools are his friends. Manny forgets he ever had a family, replacing them with his beloved tools.

The other people in the town play along with Manny's madness because he was a decent guy and they feel bad for him, when he starts waving his tools around and speaking in different voices they react to the tools as if they were alive because they don't want to remind Manny of his loss.

This is why Manny is only ever called for very easy jobs like fixing one wooden stair or replacing a bar on a baby crib; the people don't trust Manny to do anything more difficult. It is also why Kelly gives Manny whatever supplies he needs without asking him for any money. Mr. Lowpart pretends to be a bumbling moron, but he actually makes sure Manny has enough to eat and that all of his bills are paid on time, since Manny is too busy playing with his tools to take care of things like this.

Oh my God I love that show I will never watch this show the same. Ever. Again. :(

These are interesting, but I like to keep an innocent mind where it can still be in tact, and I don't wanna ruin my childhood. :< lol /me stops reading these

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
I read one somewhere about the show Rugrats and how all the babies are actually dead and just portrayed as figments of Angelica's imagination. :(

Spoiler:

It kind of ruined my childhood a little bit. There was a theory for the show All Grown Up as well, but I always felt that show was kind of irrelevant so it didn't faze me as much.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
These theories don't really feature a lot in my life because I try to avoid them to stop being depressed, but whenever I hear about one of them it completely blows my mind. I'm not sure at all if this counts, but I came across this one a few weeks back and it made me so freaking depressed I wanted to cry:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2643

I will never ever read Garfield the same way again.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The theory on Animal Crossing has nothing on that animated gif with the true(?) story of one woman's mother playing the game, dying, and the child coming back to play the game to find all the presents she had sent.

A lot of cartoons exist on oversimplification. When you're a kid, this oversimplification doesn't really bother you. But the older you get, the more you become aware of the oversimplifications - and you become aware of the fact that the world doesn't work as smoothly. And you probably get a little cynical, too.

I rather like all of the conspiracy theories. Yeah, they're over the top. But they're amusingly over the top.

I hadnt heard of that animal crossing one, but I had heard of the animal crossing one that was like about a concentration camp. That was a good story.

Also that majora's mask creepypasta was good, too.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I enjoy this one the most because it isn't creepypasta but actually from the series artist/writer himself. It's lead to so many theories that he's actually been dead throughout the entire series and Jon and Odie are just figments of his imagination to cope with his loneliness. It was printed in the run up to Halloween 1989 and man it's definitely fitting of the occasion.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back