The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.


Advertise here

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
PelipperMail
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Over the course of a few weeks, I've chopped and changed my original rains tall team into what I have today. I can't tell you my original, exactly, other than I had Ferrothorn in there, and I also had a Swampert. I've been using this exact team on Pokemon online for a few days, but I've noticed quite a few holes in my team:



Spoiler:



Toad (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 64 SAtk / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

This Toad is obviously used to set up insta-neverending rain. Toxic is used to cripple opponents, scald is used for SE/STAB hits, protect is to heal some damage, and Perish Song is for phazing.


Peach (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

This thing has saved my butt so many times - I was 1-6 down and managed to sweep his entire team (luckily there were no Ghost-types)


Wario (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SAtk / 152 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder

Dragonite is my main sweeper - the only trouble he ever will have is with Ferrothorn, and even then, he usually 2KO's them. He also has some trouble with other dragon-types, but because he is quite bulky, he usually survives to Dragon Tail them away.


Mario (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Tentacruel is used for rapid-spinning. It's also quite handy to set up Toxic Spikes. Scald is for SE/STAB damage and protect is used to heal.


Birdo (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Quagsire is shiny, hence Birdo. It's probably a week link in my team, as I only use it to switch into electric attacks. I think I might replace it, maybe with Gastrodon or Ferrothorn...


Ash Ketchum (Vaporeon) (M) @ (No Item)
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 200 HP / 168 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic

Vaporeon is also quite a nice Pokemon. I used to have Protect in place of HPGrass, and I can't say which set has been more successful with him. Suggestions would be very helpful.


My main issues are sandstorm teams, Jirachi, and my lack of an ice type move (because of a massive dragon-type weakness/grass weakness when some of my Pokemon are gone. So, uh, could you rate my team, and give suggestions about anything you can think of - and tell me who I should give Ice Beam. Should I had a Swift Swim Ludicolo?

The only Pokemon I wont change are Politoed and Chansey, all of the other ones are open to change. Dragonite should stay roughly the same though.

PS: Sorry if I've used incorrect grammar, incoherent sentences, or brief sentences without much explanation, I'm too tired at the moment (haven't had my coffee yet) to type properly, apologies.

Last edited by PelipperMail; October 8th, 2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added pix
  #2    
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
linkinpark187's Avatar
linkinpark187
Computer Tech
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Randolph, VT
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
If you're going to drop Quagsire, I would probably put either Golem or Gigalith (if Pokémon Online has that on there yet), as either one makes for a really good physical wall.

To try and compensate for a lack of strength against Grass types, I would do away with Tentacruel and replace it with something like an Umbreon. I'll be the first to admit that, yes, their ATK/SPCATK stats stink, but where they lack in those areas, they greatly make up for in both DEF/SPCDEF. This is great is you're looking to put up some form of a wall/stall team. You can just as easily teach Toxic to an Umbreon (or almost any other Pokémon for that matter). I don't know if you can, but I think so, you should also teach it Protect. I also believe, if I'm not mistaken, that it can learn Sand Attack. By lowering your enemy's accuracy first, you greatly increase your chances of not being hit by their attacks, as we all know. Since Protect will fail after subsequent use, this means that lowering your foe's accuracy will greatly increase your chances of an attack not landing in between any failure of Protect. I know, a bit of a long, drawn out strategy, but I've had this tactic used on me during battles in Pokémon Stadium 2 by Team Rocket, and I know it's frustrated me to no end. BUT...it works. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelipperMail View Post
Over the course of a few weeks, I've chopped and changed my original rains tall team into what I have today. I can't tell you my original, exactly, other than I had Ferrothorn in there, and I also had a Swampert. I've been using this exact team on Pokemon online for a few days, but I've noticed quite a few holes in my team:



Spoiler:



Toad (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 64 SAtk / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

This Toad is obviously used to set up insta-neverending rain. Toxic is used to cripple opponents, scald is used for SE/STAB hits, protect is to heal some damage, and Perish Song is for phazing.


Peach (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

This thing has saved my butt so many times - I was 1-6 down and managed to sweep his entire team (luckily there were no Ghost-types)


Wario (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SAtk / 152 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder

Dragonite is my main sweeper - the only trouble he ever will have is with Ferrothorn, and even then, he usually 2KO's them. He also has some trouble with other dragon-types, but because he is quite bulky, he usually survives to Dragon Tail them away.


Mario (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Tentacruel is used for rapid-spinning. It's also quite handy to set up Toxic Spikes. Scald is for SE/STAB damage and protect is used to heal.


Birdo (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Quagsire is shiny, hence Birdo. It's probably a week link in my team, as I only use it to switch into electric attacks. I think I might replace it, maybe with Gastrodon or Ferrothorn...


Ash Ketchum (Vaporeon) (M) @ (No Item)
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 200 HP / 168 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic

Vaporeon is also quite a nice Pokemon. I used to have Protect in place of HPGrass, and I can't say which set has been more successful with him. Suggestions would be very helpful.


My main issues are sandstorm teams, Jirachi, and my lack of an ice type move (because of a massive dragon-type weakness/grass weakness when some of my Pokemon are gone. So, uh, could you rate my team, and give suggestions about anything you can think of - and tell me who I should give Ice Beam. Should I had a Swift Swim Ludicolo?

The only Pokemon I wont change are Politoed and Chansey, all of the other ones are open to change. Dragonite should stay roughly the same though.

PS: Sorry if I've used incorrect grammar, incoherent sentences, or brief sentences without much explanation, I'm too tired at the moment (haven't had my coffee yet) to type properly, apologies.
__________________

Many thanks to Shadow_Ball for the sig pic!

I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
  #3    
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Hidden Power Fire is weakened in Rain, making it a not so good option on Quagsire.

Use Brick Break on Dragonite for Ferrothorn:
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 224 HP or Atk/252 SAtk/24 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale

Or
-Hurricane
-Aqua Tail
-ExtremeSpeed
-Brick Break
Nature: Rash
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale

I'd use Gastrodon instead of Quagsire to check other Water Pokemon:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Ice Beam/Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Sassy/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
__________________

  #4    
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinpark187 View Post
Sand Attack.
The use of sand attack, or any other accuracy lowering moves are not allowed to be used if you're playing under the "accuracy clause".

Anyways, I really really recommend having Rest on Vaporeon there. I mean, Hydration + Rest is like the best thing ever. And probably give it Leftovers too. With Rest, Wish pretty much just takes up space. I'd go with something like Protect.
__________________
  #5    
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
The use of sand attack, or any other accuracy lowering moves are not allowed to be used if you're playing under the "accuracy clause".

Anyways, I really really recommend having Rest on Vaporeon there. I mean, Hydration + Rest is like the best thing ever. And probably give it Leftovers too. With Rest, Wish pretty much just takes up space. I'd go with something like Protect.
There is no "accuracy clause". Those moves are not banned. Double Team, Minimize etc are because lowered Accuracy stats just require switching to get rid of it.

Vaporeon wants Leftovers. Have you considered trying out Scizor > Quagsire? It can give you a decent switch-in to Dragon-type moves as well as grasses, and the rain mitigates its huge Fire-type weakness. I know it's a rain stall team but hey, it's an option. I'd look into some steels in general because Lati@s generally have a heyday with rain stall teams. :<
__________________
aka Zebraiken | pairs; Ω & ζ | bffl; λ | now; Ϟ | twin; ξ | brother; φ | sister; Ψ | neeks; Ϫ
  #6    
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
PelipperMail
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinpark187 View Post
If you're going to drop Quagsire, I would probably put either Golem or Gigalith (if Pokémon Online has that on there yet), as either one makes for a really good physical wall.

I replaced my Quagsire with a Gigalith, but I found that although it had Sturdy, entry hazards really let it down. In addition, with the rain, any water type move pretty much KO'd it. :\ I used it in about five battles, but it wasn't very successful.

Your other suggestion I would totally do, but I would have to add Mean Look (so they can't switch out), and I would rather have Dark Pulse there TBH. But thanks for the suggestion :D



Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Hidden Power Fire is weakened in Rain, making it a not so good option on Quagsire.
Derp. I knew that. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Use Brick Break on Dragonite for Ferrothorn:
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 224 HP or Atk/252 SAtk/24 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
I used this set in about ten battles, but noticed that because it was quite slow and not very bulky, that Roost wasn't really required - and two people even predicted and went for the Earthquake. Also I found that a lot of the time the opponent had very little HP left, and I was outsped a lot of the time. So I replaced Roost with Extremespeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I'd use Gastrodon instead of Quagsire to check other Water Pokemon:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Ice Beam/Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: I choose another Nature, that +SpA - Att cant remember what it is though
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
I did use this, and it has had a myriad of success - except against Ferrothorn, of course. I did slightly alter the EV's, so that it had a little but more physical bulk, but other than, it is a great set.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
Anyways, I really really recommend having Rest on Vaporeon there. I mean, Hydration + Rest is like the best thing ever. And probably give it Leftovers too. With Rest, Wish pretty much just takes up space. I'd go with something like Protect.
I would use Rest, but I'm just not fond of the fact that it falls asleep. :\ I mean, it does take away other status's but so does Hydration. I will maybe try using rest when I go online next. I think that protect would be a great idea, because I always need that little bit of extra HP to guarantee the kill. Thanks for the suggestions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrai View Post

Vaporeon wants Leftovers. Have you considered trying out Scizor > Quagsire? It can give you a decent switch-in to Dragon-type moves as well as grasses, and the rain mitigates its huge Fire-type weakness. I know it's a rain stall team but hey, it's an option. I'd look into some steels in general because Lati@s generally have a heyday with rain stall teams. :<
Yes, I tried out this but I probaby wasn't using the right set... I gave Scizor pursuit, with Technician, to kill some ghost types that Chansey might have trouble with, but I found that Scizor was usually 2KO'd frequently. Thanks for this suggestion though.
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.