The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrpg View Post
so, what you are saying is (correct me if I'm wrong) the elite 4 is lower leveled than in the original Pokemon Silver? in Pokemon Silver (original) all the elite 4 trainers were in the mid to upper 50's... did they change that for SoulSilver?
That's incorrect. Overall the Elite Four from the original Gold and Silver is exactly the same as those in HeartGold and SoulSilver. The only difference is that in Gold and Silver, Karin owned a Quagsire, but in the remakes they replaced it with Umbreon. However, it's the same level as Quagsire was. Only Lance's level in Pokémon are different from the originals; his two Dragonites, Aerodactyl, and Charizard increased by two levels. His final Dragonite, and strongest Pokémon, is still at LV. 50 though. So if your team is around their 40's, then you should be relatively ready to challenge the Elite Four. The only reason you may want to train a bit extra is because once you get to the Kanto Gym Leaders, they have this steep jump in levels. Still, there will be extra trainers to battle when you get into Kanto.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
§1
Rocket grunt

Nature: Relaxed
in hg/ss, to unlock blue's phone number, do i have to visit his sister 5 days in a row or just 5 days in total?

and do i have to always select the same poke?

3DS FC: 5472-7477-3741
B2 FC: 1464 9330 9652
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by §1 View Post
in hg/ss, to unlock blue's phone number, do i have to visit his sister 5 days in a row or just 5 days in total?

and do i have to always select the same poke?
You get his number once you've got 1 of your Pokemon massaged 5 times. I don't think you need to use the same Pokemon, though. :) The answer to your first question is the latter answer; 5 days in total.

1349 6159 4149 // 1174 [TSV]
(feel free to add)
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
The only difference is that in Gold and Silver, Karin owned a Quagsire, but in the remakes they replaced it with Umbreon.
If you mean Karen the E4 dark-type user she always had an Umbreon. =p

Note also their movesets are better than what it was in GSC, as well as the addition of abilities.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
7Mufasa7
Velohsytea

can anyone tell me how to breed flawless pokemon in HG/SS?

i was IV breeding last night and the highest i was able to get was 4 IVs at 31.
how do ppl get all 6?

SS FC: 3439 5142 5775

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mufasa7 View Post

how do ppl get all 6?
Well, before you waste anymore time trying to get perfect IVs across the board, I should tell you that that's nearly impossible to do (unless you hack of course, but I don't advise that). There's about a one in 1,073,741,824 chance of getting perfect IVs for all six stats according to Arkeis.

IV's are pretty random. You may sometimes get a Pokémon with really good IVs in two particular stats, but the others might be pretty low on a scale of 0 to 31. If you check out the site, Arkeis, that I linked to you though, you'll see they say,

"However, you can improve the chances of your Pokémon getting good IVs by breeding and producing lots and lots of eggs. If your parent Pokémon have good IVs, then there's a good chance the offspring will have good IVs too." Which is true.

I'd probably say the best way to learn about IVs and breeding to get better IVs, other than natural experience, would be by talking to regular breeders who go about breeding Pokémon for the right IVs on a daily basis. The Trade Corner's Daily Chit Chat might be a good place for that.
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
I am having an issue with the radio card in Pokemon SoulSilver....

I seem to cannot get ANY radio stations in in Kanto! can someone tell me how to fix this or what's wrong?
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Quote:
I am having an issue with the radio card in Pokemon SoulSilver....

I seem to cannot get ANY radio stations in in Kanto! can someone tell me how to fix this or what's wrong?
IIRC. You have to complete the Power Plane quest. Which involves you going to Cerulean and finding the missing part. I'm pretty sure once that's done you get the radio station. If that doesn't work -- do that quest and then go to lavender and speak with the Radio station owner, he'll upgrade your PokeGear for you. :)

(feel free to add)
Old September 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post

IIRC. You have to complete the Power Plane quest. Which involves you going to Cerulean and finding the missing part. I'm pretty sure once that's done you get the radio station. If that doesn't work -- do that quest and then go to lavender and speak with the Radio station owner, he'll upgrade your PokeGear for you.

so did they change that from the original then? in the original Gold/Silver you still could get 2 station without an upgrade, once you got an upgrade, you'd get 4 or so....
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:49 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
so did they change that from the original then? in the original Gold/Silver you still could get 2 station without an upgrade, once you got an upgrade, you'd get 4 or so....
my, you seem to be hanging on to silver quite a bit... yes, that would be a difference.

I've got a question, what physical dark/ghost type moves are there that Gallade can learn? Or even better, are there any?
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:07 AM
gvgisdi
Officially addicted to Crystal

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post
I've got a question, what physical dark/ghost type moves are there that Gallade can learn? Or even better, are there any?
He should be able to learn Thief by TM, and if I recall correctly, Thief is a physical move.
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
PokéSwimmer
Keeping time time time

Okay, I don't believe either of these questions were fully answered, so I'll have a go at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mufasa7 View Post

how do ppl get all 6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post

Well, before you waste anymore time trying to get perfect IVs across the board, I should tell you that that's nearly impossible to do (unless you hack of course, but I don't advise that). There's about a one in 1,073,741,824 chance of getting perfect IVs for all six stats according to Arkeis.

IV's are pretty random. You may sometimes get a Pokémon with really good IVs in two particular stats, but the others might be pretty low on a scale of 0 to 31. If you check out the site, Arkeis, that I linked to you though, you'll see they say,

"However, you can improve the chances of your Pokémon getting good IVs by breeding and producing lots and lots of eggs. If your parent Pokémon have good IVs, then there's a good chance the offspring will have good IVs too." Which is true.

I'd probably say the best way to learn about IVs and breeding to get better IVs, other than natural experience, would be by talking to regular breeders who go about breeding Pokémon for the right IVs on a daily basis. The Trade Corner's Daily Chit Chat might be a good place for that.
This (in bold) is only partially true. While it is virtually impossible to attain flawless IVs through conventional breeding, the vast majority of IV breeders nowadays use a method called RNG abuse. It involves using a PC program called RNG reporter (or PPRNG if you're on a Mac) to essentially manipulate the game's internal pseudo-random number generator to breed or capture flawless Pokémon. It is not at all hacking and does not require any cheating device. There are many guides out there, and, like Hiiro said, asking in the Trade Corner Daily Chit Chat would be a good idea if you want to learn how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostPheonix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvgisdi View Post
He should be able to learn Thief by TM, and if I recall correctly, Thief is a physical move.
Uh, Thief is a fairly sub-par move when it comes to attacking.
The only usable physical dark/ghost moves Gallade has are: Night Slash (use a heart scale) and Shadow Sneak (as an egg move)

Last edited by PokéSwimmer; September 25th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Anybody know where I can find a Xatu in SoulSilver?
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Quote:
Anybody know where I can find a Xatu in SoulSilver?
You cannot find wild Xatu in SS/HG but you can find wild Natu at the Ruins of Alph on the PokeWalker course; Scary Cave. :)

(feel free to add)
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

I was told earlier that the Kanto gym leaders are higher in level in SoulSilver than the original Silver.... my Pokemon level average is 54.... will I be able to take on Vermillion City gym? or do I still need to level up?
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Quote:
I was told earlier that the Kanto gym leaders are higher in level in SoulSilver than the original Silver.... my Pokemon level average is 54.... will I be able to take on Vermillion City gym? or do I still need to level up?
Yes, you'll be fine. Surge's highest is 53, which is Electabuzz. In Silver it's 46. So yes, you were told right. :)

(feel free to add)
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Moltres Rider
Banned

a few things I'm wondering about on SoulSilver....

1) where do you find the cerulean city gym leader?

2) I got the upgrade for the radio card, but there is no PokeFlute on it like there was on the original Silver, so how do I wake up the Snorlax?

3) I got the generator up and running at the power plant, but I cannot get on the Magnet train, where do I get a trainPass?
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
a few things I'm wondering about on SoulSilver....

1) where do you find the cerulean city gym leader?

2) I got the upgrade for the radio card, but there is no PokeFlute on it like there was on the original Silver, so how do I wake up the Snorlax?

3) I got the generator up and running at the power plant, but I cannot get on the Magnet train, where do I get a trainPass?
1 - Do the Power Plant part subquest first (so power is running...which you already did, so). Then go to Cerulean Cape, by Bill's Kanto house and you'll find her there.

2 - The Pokeflute needs to be 'selected' manually on the radio. Use the stylus/finger/etc to select it - it's at the top part and a touch to the left.

3 - Go to the CopyCat girl in Saffron in the house a bit south of the train station. After talking to her, go forth to Vermillion - I'll leave the rest to you.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Rider542
Master of the... Magikarp?

Nature: Adamant
I have three questions, all related to the fourth gen games:
1. I am planning to buy a used platinum game online. It is game cartridge only, but has a 90 day warranty. I am worried that it might be a fake. Should I be? What are some signs to look for when buying used games that might indicate a fake?
2. If I do get Platinum, can I use poketransfer with it? Also, do you require two ds systems for poketransfer?
3. Can you use poketransfer from emulator to ds (pokemon black in the ds, hg/ss or platinum if possible on the emulator)?
Thats all, thanks for your help

Black FC: 3181-8416-4524
SoulSilver FC: 3353-7130-8106
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider542 View Post
I have three questions, all related to the fourth gen games:
1. I am planning to buy a used platinum game online. It is game cartridge only, but has a 90 day warranty. I am worried that it might be a fake. Should I be? What are some signs to look for when buying used games that might indicate a fake?
2. If I do get Platinum, can I use poketransfer with it? Also, do you require two ds systems for poketransfer?
3. Can you use poketransfer from emulator to ds (pokemon black in the ds, hg/ss or platinum if possible on the emulator)?
Thats all, thanks for your help :)
1) - Depends where it's from. Amazon, Play-Asia, Play, Any Gaming website you'll be fine with. Ebay is the biggest worry. It would help if you told us where you're getting it from. :)
2) - Yep, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and Soul Silver are all capable of using the PokeTransfer and yes, two Ds systems are required. They do not have to be the same system. (You can have one Ds Phat and Lite or Ds Lite and Dsi)
3) - Nope, only possible with the Ds systems, emulators are a no-no.

Hope this helps. :)

(feel free to add)
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Rider542

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post

1) - Depends where it's from. Amazon, Play-Asia, Play, Any Gaming website you'll be fine with. Ebay is the biggest worry. It would help if you told us where you're getting it from.
2) - Yep, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and Soul Silver are all capable of using the PokeTransfer and yes, two Ds systems are required. They do not have to be the same system. (You can have one Ds Phat and Lite or Ds Lite and Dsi)
3) - Nope, only possible with the Ds systems, emulators are a no-no.

Hope this helps.
Yep, Im ordering from amazon, so i hope everything will be fine. If not, the 90 day warranty is reassuring.
But for poketransfer, what if i only have one ds, and i play both platinum and black on that one ds. if i need two ds systems for poke transfer, wont my save file not be on the other ds, therefor all my pokemon wont be there? how does that work? do i need two ds systems, and play one game on each?

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hikamaru
forever and a day
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
But for poketransfer, what if i only have one ds, and i play both platinum and black on that one ds. if i need two ds systems for poke transfer, wont my save file not be on the other ds, therefor all my pokemon wont be there? how does that work? do i need two ds systems, and play one game on each?
You need two DS systems to utilize the Poke Transfer. It can be any type of DS console (DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL etc), then put your Platinum in one and Black in the other. Hope that helps you!

As for save files, your saved adventure is recorded on your game card, even if it is in another DS.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yep, Im ordering from amazon, so i hope everything will be fine. If not, the 90 day warranty is reassuring.
Oh good, Amazon is nice and reliable. :P When the game saves, it saves to your cartridge, not the actual Ds system. :) So that's how it works lol.

(feel free to add)
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rider542

ok, that helps a bunch. thats what im worried about. i onyl have one ds systems, on which i plan on playing both games. i can borrow a friends ds, but i wasnt sure about the save files. thanks

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Rider542

I have another question, is there any way to get lugia in Platinum? Ive heard there is a way, but ive also heard you need an action replay or pal park. So, is it possible?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links