The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
MontyWinz
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
I read through a lot of the posts again and thought that the idea that because dragon's are seen as sacred in the Japanese culture that, that was why they were chosen.

This got me thinking... I believe I read somewhere that there is a sacred animal for each of the cardinal points in Japanese folklore. I think it would be great if in a previous game they based 4 legendaries on these sacred animals.

If I am correct... they are dragon, phoenix, turtle and tiger.

I know that you could say Ho-Oh is already a phoenix and they have plenty of dragons, but there hasn't been a legendary bird since Gen 2 correct? And there hasn't ever been a legendary turtle or tiger

~ Friend Code: 0905-5708-8295 ~
Trainer Card and Avatar Made by me using photo resources from Deviantart
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
PelipperMail
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quirky
I'm not a really huge fan of any dragon-type Pokémon. I'm not sure why, but not unlike my dislike for certain fire-types, dragon-types have a tendency to remind me of other anime and games, which really takes away the whole unique 'Pokémon experience'. There have already been dragon-types legendaries in the past, and I wasn't particularly a fan of them, particularly Palkia which bears a resemblance to a certain bodily part. This generation gave us Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem. I think Reshiram was too feminine to be a dragon - not to say that girls aren't scary - but dragon's should have a more masculinity to them - like Zekrom. I'm not a huge fan of the third member, but I sincerely hope that they gain an alternate forme in the speculated and anticipated third installment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyWinz View Post
And there hasn't ever been a legendary turtle or tiger

The legendary beasts (Raikou, Eintei, Suicune) could be considered tigers, right? But they aren't B/W related... so...
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Zorua X
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Relaxed
I love the fact that there are mre Dragon Type mascots, there always awesome but I wasn't to big a fan of Palkia or Dialga... There needs to be a set of "cute" legendaries. Two small, yet, extremly powerful pokemon in the next game.... Possibly similar to Mew/Celebi/Jarachi/Manaphy/Shaymin/etc.
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Forever
let it go

It's Tuesday! aka my favourite day of the week at PC because I get to revolve an older thread (unlike weekly polls which involve a bit more effort!!) So this week there's an interesting thread brought to us by one of B/W's older regs. Feel free to share your thoughts on whether B/W really went too far with the dragons theme and should've done something else, disssssscuss! :) Remember older posters won't likely reply to you but you can keep replying/discussing with users now!
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
To be honest, I find dragon types to be really boring, so I would have preferred different types of pokemon as the cover pokemon. I don't think it was a bad idea to have dragons on the cover, since many people love dragons, I'm just not a huge fan. And if they were to be pther types, Zekrom would either be dark/electric or fighting/electric, whereas reshiram would be either psychic/fire or flying/fire. I personally would want the first option of each, but then zekrom would have a type advantage which can't happen since they should be equal (yin = to yang) so it'd make sense for reshiram to be flying/fire and zekrom to be fighting/electric. That way they'd each be strong against each other, so they'd be equal. (even though I like the first typings more)
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Seraphimon-sama

To be honest, Dragon is my third favorite type, after Psychic and Fire. But most of the non-Legendary Dragon-Types are psuedo-Legendaries. If I had to pick one or two Dragon-Types to use, I would say Garchomp and Latias.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't think they overloaded on Dragons, they are badass-looking and one of the best types to use due to the fact they can hit most types hard due to STAB. I actually liked Reshiram and Zekrom's designs and I think their type combinations suit them cos well, they look very dragon-like (and the color of their bodies and eyes is even a Yu-Gi-Oh! shout-out) and well, Reshiram's tail generates fire while Zekrom's generates electricity.

I also like how unique their types are, particularly Zekrom's Dragon/Electric which has to be one of the most unusual but awesome type combinations ever. And unlike Golurk, I would never imagine Zekrom as part Fighting. If I could change the duo's types I would've made Reshiram Psychic/Fire or Zekrom Dark/Electric but as Golurk stated it wouldn't go with the yin-yang motif so I guess that's why they made them share a Dragon-type and be resistant (and weak) to each other.

Also, Reshiram has a good offensive typing since almost Dragon/Fire is able to at least hit any type for neutral or super-effective damage.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old November 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Musica
PPPPPDPPPPP

Nature: Timid
I don't dislike dragons, but I just don't like using them again and again. It was more awesome when Legendaries/Mascots were birds, dogs, a giant sea creature, and a living rock formation. After Emerald's Rayquaza (not counting FR/LG), everything that came along were Dragons. From Steel to Water, Ghost, Fire, Electric, and Ice. It's like a Dragon-overload. I would love to see other creatures as well to be the Mascot of the newer generation(s).

If the Reshiram and Zekrom were not Dragons (aesthetically), I would love if they were a Tiger and a Dragon instead of Dragon-Dragon. Kyurem should be something like a chimera.
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Heracles4

There are tons of things that could be pulled from Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythologies to be legendaries instead of dragons..

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
:O!!! Such Blasphemy you speak. There are no such thing as too many dragons
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:18 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolurkIsDaBomb View Post
To be honest, I find dragon types to be really boring, so I would have preferred different types of pokemon as the cover pokemon. I don't think it was a bad idea to have dragons on the cover, since many people love dragons, I'm just not a huge fan. And if they were to be pther types, Zekrom would either be dark/electric or fighting/electric, whereas reshiram would be either psychic/fire or flying/fire. I personally would want the first option of each, but then zekrom would have a type advantage which can't happen since they should be equal (yin = to yang) so it'd make sense for reshiram to be flying/fire and zekrom to be fighting/electric. That way they'd each be strong against each other, so they'd be equal. (even though I like the first typings more)
! Thinking about it, I'd rather have had that. Dark/Electric would've been pretty awesome but Reshiram could'dve also been something else rather than those two, there could've actually been the Light type for that purpose, really... actually, that does give me an idea of a thread that could be made. But yeah Flying/Fighting works too, but just a little less. Dragons seems so much more boring in comparison lmao.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I think Dragons should be as they really emblem power. THere is only one fully evolved weak Dragon I can think of (Altaria) and they have a God Like feeling to them.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
The_Consumer

Reshiram-Fire/Psychic
Zekrom-Electric/Dark
Kyurem-Ice/...hmm...

I like the dragon type and I think it should be a powerful type. We've gotten a lot of dragons recently and that's awesome.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Number Infinity
Equal to Zero

I'd probably just keep them the way they are.. but I don't use legends so I don't care regardless.
But taking legends out of question.. there still are too many dragons XD.
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:45 AM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Dragons are majestic, when I think of dragon I think of a strong flying Pokemon speeding around the Pokemon world and leading by example. Then for some reason, I think of fire type Pokemon as the second strongest, I' not sure why it's just my opinion (and lack of sleep). Charizrd and Ho-Oh are fire types- they are viewed as incredibly strong Pokemon.The number of dragon legendaries are increasing; I think that it would be col to have another dark legendary. The only prominent dark legendary I can think of is Giratina and Darkrai. Or maybe they could introduce a steel legendary because there seems to be a lack of those too.

I didn't see anything wrong with there being dragon mascots again. Like I said, a dragon seems more powerful and seems to shine up above the other Pokemon. Reshiram and Zekrom seems stronger than the past legendaries (Dialga Palkia) because of their looks and typing. If I could type them as not part of dragon, I'd type Zekrom as an electric water. That would make it an enigma to battle, especially if it could absorb both water and electricity. That would make Zekrom a powerful wall with strong attacks, and that would be an incredible tank n battling. For Reshiram, I would make it a water fire type. Those types would also make it seem like an enigma. It would make rock Pokemon stuggle to attack and ground pokemon would have trouble as well. It would be an incredible attacker with moves like hydro pump, blue flare, solar beam and hyper beam. It would be an incredible Pokemon to take out, and it could possibly even sweep team with its unique moveset variety. If I could change Kyurem, I'd change it from a Dragon type to a fighting type. Often kyurem loses to fighting Pokemon, so if I changed it to a fighting type instead of dragon I could equip kyurem with some fighting moves to take these annoying fighting type Pokemon, like machamp, out. It stinks in competitive battling because dragon type and fighting types have their way with kyurem in the battling scene because he is so darn slow.

I aslo believe that it was a good idea to have dragon mascots because it allows the Pokemn to have powerful attack and gives them the ability of ly. I believe that the main Pokemon in the net game will be dragon, unless their is a new typing. I think that we will start to see more dragon Pokemon and more dragon oriented trainers in the game. Their was a dragon gym in White/Black and White/Black 2
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links