The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Advertise here
Oh man oh jeez has it really been like 2 months? I think it's time for an update to this thread. This time with the duo of disaster, the terrible twin terrors...yup. The twins.

There's not much to say about this particular sprite, so I'll leave it at that. As for Azure and the (art) work done with that, there's been a flurry of activity in the past few months. I've actually finished another versus sprite, and another set of splash screens. The problem is that the work done on those are slightly spoilerific, so I don't want to post it publicly.

As I feel a bit bad not having anything more substantial, have a sketch for the juggler class, and a scrapped splash screen for a cave.

Spoiler:

Still looking for spriters for Pokemon Azure! If you're even the slightest bit interested, contact either me or DJClass. More information available on the Azure thread.
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Welp, the juggler finished a lot fast than I expected, so I figured I'd make this progression gif, similar to the Carmine forest progression shots that I had before. Now you too can see what a mess I make when I pixel! Primary Colours Man powers, Activate!

Progression shots:

Finished product:

There's a frame in there where there's a bunch of random hands next to the juggler. That's simply because I was having trouble getting his left hand to look the way I wanted, and ended up making a couple of extra hands. I stuck them in for the extra "what the heck was this girl thinking" factor.

Yup.

(On a side note, I'm fairly pleased with how Mr. Juggler turned out. Now to code in a bunch of exploding voltorbs. Hehehehe.)

Still looking for spriters for Pokemon Azure! If you're even the slightest bit interested, contact either me or DJClass. More information available on the Azure thread.
Old October 29th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Dialga111
Beginning Trainer

omg, it's been quite a while since I've come here. Do you remember me?? :D

Awesome work! I hadn't seen the splash screen finished yet, I sinply LOVE it. There is nothing wrong to it. I wish I had your skills.

The socialite is amazing, I love the detail put into it. I really like the twins too, specially their hair. The juggler is great, but something about him bothers me. I'm trying to figure out what is it that feels strange...

Lately I've been wanting to get back into spriting. For now I can't, but if you can wait until mid-January, I might help you as a spriter for your game :D That is, if you want, of course.

Do you have msn? If you do, add me: [email protected] (I check msn more often than I check forums, but don't e-mail me, I never check my inbox.)
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialga111 View Post
omg, it's been quite a while since I've come here. Do you remember me?? :D

Awesome work! I hadn't seen the splash screen finished yet, I sinply LOVE it. There is nothing wrong to it. I wish I had your skills.

The socialite is amazing, I love the detail put into it. I really like the twins too, specially their hair. The juggler is great, but something about him bothers me. I'm trying to figure out what is it that feels strange...

Lately I've been wanting to get back into spriting. For now I can't, but if you can wait until mid-January, I might help you as a spriter for your game :D That is, if you want, of course.

Do you have msn? If you do, add me: [email protected] (I check msn more often than I check forums, but don't e-mail me, I never check my inbox.)

Yo, dude! Haven't seen you in a while!

The splash screen's being reimagined since further research indicates that stalagmites/stalactites don't mesh very well. Also, not entirely sure about the majority of the composition of the particular cave that the screen is based on. It's definitely got some marble in it, but I need to do some more research about the insides in order to make a splash that I'd be comfortable putting into the game.

And thanks about the socialite and twins. :3

The juggler is actually a slightly different style than the other sprites I've created, so it may look a little weird. However, the style is also a lot brighter and I believe it'll stand out more against our backgrounds. We'll need to see though.

And like dude, I've been scrambling for more spriters for Azure. Of course we can wait until mid-January. I actually don't use msn, and the majority of the group (all of us) use Skype/SVN for our communications/development/everything. If you have a Skype, or if you can create one, that would be amazing. My username on Skype is SoaringSomeone.

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Dialga111
Beginning Trainer

Oh, unfortunately, I don't have a mic, so no skype for me =/ What is SVN, though?
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialga111 View Post
Oh, unfortunately, I don't have a mic, so no skype for me =/ What is SVN, though?
You don't need a mic for skyping. In fact one of our members is mic-less, and was, until recently, speaker-less as well. The majority of our development work is via the chat box so that we can have a written record of everything we decide.

SVN is a general term, not the name of a brand or anything. It's essentially a file repository thing that allows for version control and is mostly used in programming/code stuff. Version control allows people to revert to a previous committed version in case one person changes something and it borks everyone else's code (Or I guess goes on a code deleting rampage spree). We're using it for basically everything though (like the art). It's the easiest way to share code, and allow the programmers access to the arts to use for testing purposes. (More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion)

So if you could, it would be great if you got skype to communicate with the rest of our team. Thinking back, I think I might have an MSN account, so Imma dig that up just in case.

And so that this post doesn't become completely a info dump, here's two OW's.

Officer||Aide (M)

Old November 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Dialga111
Beginning Trainer

oh, great, I didn't know I don't need a mic for skype lol, I'll create one then. Thanks!

Really nice OWs. Maybe you could make a version of the policemen holding a flashlight to use when it's night? that would be funny.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Goodness gracious time for another sprite!

Birdkeeper femme style! Not much to say, it's the female counterpart of the birdkeeper, which I will soon revamp to the current (not as bad looking) style that I think I'm getting the hang of.

Not much else to say about this. Most of my time currently has been spent on trying to get good at texturing models and a small side Nuzlocke thing for fun. Hopefully everything'll pull together soon though!

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Little less than two months. Ehhhh, time for an update!

So I did a buttload of work on this one set of splash screens that I am very very proud of, but, unfortunately, since they're rather spoilerific, I don't want to show the entire thing.

So instead, I put together a few snippets that are not spoilers galore, but do showcase a few of my favorite parts of the scene.

And here's a paltry walking sprite as well. It's a heavy lady in an ugly sweater.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Whew! With a bunch of stuff that I didn't really want to do out of the way, I can get back to spritin' the good stuff. So here're two WIP's of one of our mountains. The first one was what I started at, the second is what I had at the end of ~2 hours.

I also recorded about the last 1.5 hours of the spriting session. Mostly it's just me derping in MSPaint, trying to figure out how to make rocks look good, but some people may find it interesting in case they want to create some environmental scenes along this line. It wiiiillll be uploaded soon-ish if I can remember.

Maybe next update will be the entire thing. Rocks are a lot more fun than the other stuff I've been attempting.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Oh right this still exists. OTL

Artist Sprite!

As per usual, anyone interested in helping out, shoot me a PM or reply or something. I am totally willing to teach anyone willing to learn and all that jazz. We also have two more recordings of spritin' over on our livestream in case anyone wanted to watch some MSPaint action in (past) real time!

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:03 PM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Well it's been like 6 months, so I suppose an update would be nice.

This is another splash screen, this time of Mount Sterling. I really tried to go for a Bob Ross-esque type of thing with the background mountains.

And as promised, here's the progression gif for Mount Sterling.

And on a side note!

New thread for Pokemon Azure!

The link above's our new Pokemon Azure thread! It our custom made engine/game, which will be open source, and will contain a bunch of features (like full 3D support and online support) and its very own toolbox, streamlined for people used to rom hacking, or RPGMaker development! The new thread's got a lot of extra, new information, and some actual gameplay vids (with even more info in the Youtube info box)! Please go check it out, and give us feedback!

EDIT: You can watch parts of these screens (and some other stuff) being drawn on our livestream channel (channel name: tenfoldstudios).

Last edited by SoaringSomeone; November 7th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
Stunning, as usual. I honestly don't know how you do it. I think my eyes would've been bleeding at this point. Do you use MS Paint or something else?

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

A very ambitious piece, and it's having great progress. I would recommend some anti-alias here and there, mainly where things cut off such as the log in the background.

Anti-alias would help add depth and make the log more on the background than the foreground.
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:23 AM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoonflower View Post
Stunning, as usual. I honestly don't know how you do it. I think my eyes would've been bleeding at this point. Do you use MS Paint or something else?
Haha, thanks! It takes a lot of effort (and boredom) to finish one of these things since it ranges from...20-60? Hours I think. I do believe that I'm getting faster though since I'm slooooowly learning what looks bad, and what looks slightly less bad.

Also, yes, I do use MSPaint. (Vista/XP version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
A very ambitious piece, and it's having great progress. I would recommend some anti-alias here and there, mainly where things cut off such as the log in the background.

Anti-alias would help add depth and make the log more on the background than the foreground.
Are you referring to the ugly dead-tree thing? I was actually thinking of removing that as it looks kind of comically out of place. Originally I only placed that tree there so that a Skarmory could perch there for the morning version, but right now it's kind of blocking the mountain and also doesn't look very to scale with the rocks around it.

Thanks for the comments guys! They mean a lot.

Old November 20th, 2012, 07:45 PM
MelchiorFlyer
Flygon

Nature: Naive
In the Carmine Forest at night. You should make a Slendy Pokemon. That would scare so many players! You can have it jump out at you while your walking down the path! P.S. Can I do some Pokemon Spriting? I'm good at fusions and re-colors. No good at re and devamps.

PM Me if you add me~!

Flygon is my bby~!
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
SoaringSomeone
Residential Sprite Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers_Albino_Umbreon View Post
In the Carmine Forest at night. You should make a Slendy Pokemon. That would scare so many players! You can have it jump out at you while your walking down the path! P.S. Can I do some Pokemon Spriting? I'm good at fusions and re-colors. No good at re and devamps.
Ahh, unfortunately, our project, while supporting the capacity for Fakemon, will not be featuring Fakemon themselves. That includes entirely new scratched sprites, fusion, re-colors, and re/devamps. Sorry! However, once complete, you are free to include any and all fakemon and tweaked sprites that you may desire. If you have any sort of interest in the project, I encourage you to head over to our thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=291302) and check it out! Make suggestions if you want on features you'd like for us to add to the engine!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here