Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 24th, 2011 (06:45 PM).
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote originally posted by Nate VonGrimm:
Hey guys.
I am trying to create a new Pokemon game using Ruby as a template.
I am still new to the scripting side of the game but I am slowly making progress.

But I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the Prof. Birch speech introducing you to the world of Pokemon after you select new game (where you choose your Gender and Name).
I want to add my own introduction but can't find any information on the web about it.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I will add you to the credits. (I don't take credit for anything I didn't find out or do).
It is editable but it isn't a script. It's all ASM. The only easy things to edit there are the images and the text.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 25th, 2011 (10:23 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Does anyone know how to format .PNG into Battle Backgrounds for FRLG?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old October 25th, 2011 (12:53 PM). Edited October 25th, 2011 by SupahNinja.
SupahNinja
Scripting Ninja

Quote originally posted by Gamer2020:
Quote originally posted by Nate VonGrimm:
Hey guys.
I am trying to create a new Pokemon game using Ruby as a template.
I am still new to the scripting side of the game but I am slowly making progress.

But I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the Prof. Birch speech introducing you to the world of Pokemon after you select new game (where you choose your Gender and Name).
I want to add my own introduction but can't find any information on the web about it.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I will add you to the credits. (I don't take credit for anything I didn't find out or do).
It is editable but it isn't a script. It's all ASM. The only easy things to edit there are the images and the text.
What about the Pokémon in the professor's speech (I think Nidoran in FRLG, Azurill in RSE)?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while, but I'm not sure if the game uses a separate image, or if the game just specifies which Pokémon number will pop out of the Pokéball.

My feelings on
ROM hacking:

-I like scripting a lot.
-Mapping is almost as fun.
-Hex editing isn't bad at all.
-I do NOT enjoy spriting.
-I've been meaning to start learning ASM for a while, but I don't ever seem to have enough time.

Favorites:

-My favorite color is green.
-My favorite type is fire.
-My favorite Pokémon are:
Growlithe, Charizard, Mew,
Giratina, Haxorus, and Aggron.
SupahNinja
Old October 25th, 2011 (01:05 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by SupahNinja:
What about the Pokémon in the professor's speech (I think Nidoran in FRLG, Azurill in RSE)?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while, but I'm not sure if the game uses a separate image, or if the game just specifies which Pokémon number will pop out of the Pokéball.
I could be wrong, but I think the game uses the battle Pokemon sprite, not a separate image. This means that you would have to replace the sprite the game originally uses with your own sprite (or use ASM to make it use another).
Old October 25th, 2011 (01:22 PM).
SupahNinja
Scripting Ninja

Quote originally posted by shinyabsol1:
I could be wrong, but I think the game uses the battle Pokemon sprite, not a separate image. This means that you would have to replace the sprite the game originally uses with your own sprite (or use ASM to make it use another).
Okay, since it's not stored as a separate image, there must be some sort of pointer to Nidoran (in FRLG).
After all, something needs to indicate which Pokémon pops out of the Pokéball.
So if we could find that pointer (or whatever type of data it's stored as - maybe just the Pokémon's National Dex number) then we could change the Pokémon that comes out.
I know people have done it before, but I can't recall any specifics at the moment.

My feelings on
ROM hacking:

-I like scripting a lot.
-I've been meaning to start learning ASM for a while, but I don't ever seem to have enough time.

Favorites:

SupahNinja
Old October 25th, 2011 (01:29 PM).
jojo1250
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
hi, i need help/ have a question about inserting pokemon sprites into ruby. whenever i try, i get weird errors like the pallete changes but the original image doesnt, or the the original image just fills to 1 color.
can anyone help me as to what i am doing wrong please?
Old October 25th, 2011 (01:47 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Okay, since it's not stored as a separate image, there must be some sort of pointer to Nidoran (in FRLG).
After all, something needs to indicate which Pokémon pops out of the Pokéball.
So if we could find that pointer (or whatever type of data it's stored as - maybe just the Pokémon's National Dex number) then we could change the Pokémon that comes out.
I know people have done it before, but I can't recall any specifics at the moment.
Hm, that sounds like it could be a way. I didn't think about pointers when I answered before

However...

Of all the hacks that I have played, I have seen the intro Pokemon changed, but it always makes the cry of the Pokemon that it was originally. This suggests to me that it was done by overwriting the sprite, not repointing to another sprite. ...Which doesn't make sense to do if you could easily repoint it...

Quote originally posted by jojo1250:
hi, i need help/ have a question about inserting pokemon sprites into ruby. whenever i try, i get weird errors like the pallete changes but the original image doesnt, or the the original image just fills to 1 color.
can anyone help me as to what i am doing wrong please?
What method are you using to insert the sprites? Try using tools from Wichu's Advanced Series (GBA toolbox) if you aren't already.
Old October 25th, 2011 (02:03 PM).
jojo1250
Beginning Trainer

What method are you using to insert the sprites? Try using tools from Wichu's Advanced Series (GBA toolbox) if you aren't already.
i am using Maco's tutorial method. and no am not using those tools, i will look them up.
Old October 25th, 2011 (04:58 PM).
Gamer2020

The Pokemon is easy as well. In Emerald is is one value that you need to edit. In FR and LG there are two pointers that point to the points for Nidoran. Not sure about RS.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 25th, 2011 (05:52 PM).
SupahNinja
Scripting Ninja

The Pokemon is easy as well. In Emerald is is one value that you need to edit. In FR and LG there are two pointers that point to the points for Nidoran. Not sure about RS.
Really?
Would you mind sharing the pointers?

My feelings on
ROM hacking:

-I like scripting a lot.

Favorites:

SupahNinja
Old October 25th, 2011 (08:58 PM).
Gamer2020

Really?
Would you mind sharing the pointers?
I don't have it memorized. I'll add it to PGE eventually.

In Fire Red you search for the location of the pointers of nidoran female. So if the pointer to the image is at 34F424, you search for 24F43408.

Now that I think about it... Look for a tool called Intro Ed. I just never really needed it.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 26th, 2011 (12:47 PM).
Bilaterus
ToBe Best Spriter ;)

Nature: Naive
Hey how would you find Wichu's Advance Series? (Sorry if this is a really noobish question but...) I searched Pokecommunity and couldn't find it.

Sorry for the trouble!

My (small) site offers help on all things Advance Mapping!
http://advancedfreak.webs.com/

Visit my youtube channel too and check out my tutorials on all things (you guessed it!) Advance Mapping!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedMapFreak
Old October 26th, 2011 (01:32 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote originally posted by Bilaterus:
Hey how would you find Wichu's Advance Series? (Sorry if this is a really noobish question but...) I searched Pokecommunity and couldn't find it.

Sorry for the trouble!
It's in the Toolbox section. You'll see it. You must not have been searching for it correctly (you don't need to search, anyways. It's near the top of the first page right now).
Old October 26th, 2011 (03:28 PM).
SupahNinja
Scripting Ninja

I don't have it memorized. I'll add it to PGE eventually.

In Fire Red you search for the location of the pointers of nidoran female. So if the pointer to the image is at 34F424, you search for 24F43408.

Now that I think about it... Look for a tool called Intro Ed. I just never really needed it.
Hmm...
IntroEd gives me an error.
So I'll try it manually.
However, searching 24F43408 in a hex editor returns no results, so I'm assuming that's for the sake of example (flipping the bytes, appending 08).
So now my question is: How would I figure out the pointer to search for?

Quote originally posted by Bilaterus:

Sorry for the trouble!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196143

My feelings on
ROM hacking:

-I like scripting a lot.

Favorites:

SupahNinja
Old October 28th, 2011 (03:48 PM).
PKMN Trainer Alison
I'll follow you into the dark.

Nature: Gentle
Does anybody have a good, simple alternative to sappy?
Sappy just will not run on my computer, not even the older versions that apparently work on win7. :/
I just REALLY want to change the music of Firered to the music of Rubys.
Old October 28th, 2011 (07:50 PM).
darkprince909

One more quick question, even though Ive asked too many recently :/...
My hack is based on Firered, and I was wondering if it was possible to set up a 4 trainer double battle, similar to the part in Emerald where you fight with Steven against Maxie and Tabitha in the Space Center. If it's not possible, I can work around it, but if it is, there's a certain point in the story where it would really be useful to have that style of battle available. I havent tried to set one up yet, because I'm nowhere near working on that part of the story, Im just wondering if it is, in fact, possible on Firered
Old October 28th, 2011 (08:02 PM).
chrunch
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by darkprince909:
One more quick question, even though Ive asked too many recently :/...
My hack is based on Firered, and I was wondering if it was possible to set up a 4 trainer double battle, similar to the part in Emerald where you fight with Steven against Maxie and Tabitha in the Space Center. If it's not possible, I can work around it, but if it is, there's a certain point in the story where it would really be useful to have that style of battle available. I havent tried to set one up yet, because I'm nowhere near working on that part of the story, Im just wondering if it is, in fact, possible on Firered
I'm not sure if it's possible at the moment on FR, using tools, but it's definitely possible using ASM.
Old October 29th, 2011 (08:22 AM).
Kaith
Hacker of Fire

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys, I'm trying to hack a firered rom and am still a bit new to scripting. Can someone point me to a tutorial that works for windows 7? I looked all over but there are so many tutorials. Some of them are good, but the scripter is out of date. The one problem I keep running into is that all my tools are either a newer or older version of the tools they use in the tutorials so I can't follow them. And hours upon hours of searching google has left me with nothing but wasted time.

Hacks I support:
FloralSky

Old October 29th, 2011 (10:55 AM).
Gamer2020

Quote originally posted by Kaith:
Hey guys, I'm trying to hack a firered rom and am still a bit new to scripting. Can someone point me to a tutorial that works for windows 7? I looked all over but there are so many tutorials. Some of them are good, but the scripter is out of date. The one problem I keep running into is that all my tools are either a newer or older version of the tools they use in the tutorials so I can't follow them. And hours upon hours of searching google has left me with nothing but wasted time.
1 - Open XSE.
2 - Press F2.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 29th, 2011 (11:04 AM).
Kaith
Hacker of Fire

Nature: Relaxed
Yeah, I did that and another window opens up. The box says the navigation the the webpage was canceled.

Hacks I support:
FloralSky

Old October 30th, 2011 (08:46 AM).
Retrophaze
Beginning Trainer

First of all I apologize if this thread is in the wrong area or if it has been answered a thousand times before. I am just a fellow hacker that needs a little information. I am working on a full Fire Red hack right now and I would like to change the character's sprite to a different in-game sprite. My guess would be that this would not involve a script, but the use of a certain program. Any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old October 30th, 2011 (09:18 AM). Edited October 30th, 2011 by serpenter.
serpenter
Eternal Inferno

Nature: Jolly
So, how do i change the "Pokedex" in the start menu (and other items their).
I've been searching for ages, and can't figure out how to do it...

EDIT: I just sorted it out with A-text.
Old October 30th, 2011 (01:35 PM).
Raltshugger
Beginning Trainer

I have been making my own little ROMhack of Ruby, but I've been encountering a problem that I simply can't find a solution to. When I enter New Mauville and Scorched Slab I instead end up in a totally dark room standing on a patch of grass. The header says I'm in the respective location, but I can't move from the spot I ended up in. I had edited the areas, but I tried to revert New Mauville back to normal, but still nothing. Does anybody know what happened?
Old October 30th, 2011 (01:53 PM).
Gamer2020

Quote originally posted by Kaith:
Yeah, I did that and another window opens up. The box says the navigation the the webpage was canceled.
Make sure you unzipped all the files that come with XSE and that they are in the same folder.
Accept no imitations!
Old October 30th, 2011 (02:27 PM).
jojo1250
Beginning Trainer

hi, im back agian. with another spriting question.
when i try to resize a d/p sprite to fit into a 64x64 canvas and try to insert it using Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor, the sprite gets all screwd up when i try t insert it. can anyone tell me hw to insert a large sprite into pokemon ruby with out screwing the sprite up?.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links