The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?
YES! 20 74.07%
May try a smaller/different target (e.g. 25,000 words, 10,000 words) 5 18.52%
NO! 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

Advertise here
Another year, another Nano! But will you be participating in it this year or not? Or maybe a compromise? (Myself? Hahahahahaha... important uni exams strongly suggest no. Yet ideas/current fic say yes. Why november, why?)

As for what Nano is: it's a challenge in which you try to write a 50,000 word-long story within the month of November. You can check out more on the official site.

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Zeffy
artificial one-eyed ghoul

Its sort of a good thing that November isn't much of a busy month for me, so yeah, I'd be able to join. I've still got just a gist of what I would write, but I've yet to plan the flow of the story. Gah, I don't want to end not finishing this...unlike my one thousand words handwritten essay. ):

My story will have a futuristic sci-fi sort of thing. :3
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Despite having known about it for a long time, this'll be the first year I enter. I shouldn't think it'll pose too much of a problem; as anyone who reads my stuff will surely know, I write a lot very quickly. If I can do the Three-Day Novel contest (which I also entered for the first time this year), then I don't doubt that I can write fewer words in ten times the time. The question is not whether I'll hit 50,000 words, but whether I'll finish the story; I'm no good at writing short fiction.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I'm thinking of doing NaNo, but cheating a bit. I have so many stories that I haven't finished that it would be better to use this challenge to finish them, rather than starting a new one. Or, if not actually finishing one, then getting closer to finishing it.
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Charlie Kelly
King of the Rats

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
I'm thinking of doing NaNo, but cheating a bit. I have so many stories that I haven't finished that it would be better to use this challenge to finish them, rather than starting a new one. Or, if not actually finishing one, then getting closer to finishing it.
I'm planning on "cheating" too. I've had this story rolling around in my head for years, this seems like a good excuse. I've never seriously written more than a 1 page pre-prologue and that will definitely not be re-used, so... I guess that's not even really cheating. I've never gotten more than 2 days into NaNo without something coming up and distracting me from writing for well over a week.
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I pretty much will also use this year's NaNo by finishing a couple of my fics. One I actually just need two or three chapters left and another I have a vague idea of the plot but I still need to brainstorm a bit.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
This is the first year I heard of NaNoWriMo, and any other writing competition. I'm thinking of doing this story that I just wrote a few lines, not much, so it doesn't matter. Cheaters

Though the real challenge for me is that I was never able to write that much without quieting, lets hope it doesn't happen now, because I do want to become an author in the future.

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'm surprised a thread for this year's NaNoWriMo is made.

Anyway, I'm counting down the days until November 1st comes. There is already talk of a NaNoWriMo get-together in my town and since I have a portable stand alone word processor, I might go to it.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Fuyu
Battle!

I've got my story! XD I just hope it'll make through to that long. XD

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I've mostly got everything laid out to start work on immediately but gosh this is so intimidating. ;; I can't even finish fics. .__. But I shall try! I'm doing fantasy involving parallel worlds~

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I am . . . doing it, despite my better judgement. I have a sequel to last year's novel lined up, which basically means I've written 82,000 words of backstory before November even begins. I reckon that should make things easier. I know where the story is going too, for a change. This could be an awesome year, but I am going to have to worry about exams again (as I do every damn November).
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:56 AM
IanDonyer
Time to kick ass? Definitely.

Location: Remember? Yeah, I live at that place! At the time, with the thing! =D
Nature: Modest
My November is absolutely free, excluding the 1st. =D So I'll be having my first shot at an original fiction story this year. It oughta be fun.

G'luck to everyone else in their endeavors!

Thanks to ShinySandshrew of serebiiforums for the banner!
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
This thread is the first thing I have ever heard about the existence of such a thing lol. It does sound intriguing, but it's something I could never do. The one-month limit is a little stifling for me, and that'd just add stress onto an already-busy life.

I do have ideas though... I always have ideas.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

This might sound like a stupid, mercenary question... but is there a prize for the best story or something? Or is it mainly a purely creative idea designed to get people writing and thinking about literature and stuff?

Both sound good, but I'm a little bit confused as to whether this is a competition or not.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
This might sound like a stupid, mercenary question... but is there a prize for the best story or something? Or is it mainly a purely creative idea designed to get people writing and thinking about literature and stuff?

Both sound good, but I'm a little bit confused as to whether this is a competition or not.
Your prize for finishing is getting to edit your 50,000-or-more-word novel. ;) It's all for the challenge, or, if you're like me, to give yourself more focus with a daily word count goal.

I'll enter again. I should have all time I need this year so I have no excuse for not finishing like last year. D:

deviantart blog pair
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
To add on to Scarf's post, the only competitions for NaNo are those thought up by the members themselves. For example, there are competitions where members get together and see just how much they can type in a certain amount of time.
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:

I do believe the novel does get published too, though Im unsure of that. I think its manly just for fun.
There are also other more smaller competitions with $$ for prizes. :3

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo View Post

I do believe the novel does get published too, though Im unsure of that. I think its manly just for fun.
It's just for fun actually. One can publish their novel once they finish and have it edited, but the NaNo officials don't really help with that aside from advice.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

There really is no real prize for completing 50,000 words during NaNoWriMo. It's more of the feeling of accomplishment is writing that much in just one month. If anybody does want to have their novel published, the site does have a few publishers they have partnered with to get a person's novel made.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

Now that my life has calmed down somewhat, I'm going to have a go at NaNoWriMo. It'll be my first time trying it, but I think it'll be good for me to make myself have a target. It'll improve my discipline for sure. I kind of have the skeleton of a plot (for a series rather than a specific novel, however) so I'll work towards that.

There's also the matter of a fanfic that needs my desperate attention.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:35 AM
Zeta Patchouli
The Unconscious Wanderer
Community Supporter

Oh god, I almost forgot about this. Admittedly, I have 2 fanfics I could do. One of which technically has '2' chapters left, though those Chapters are split into 14, each of which could easily be over 5000 words. And the other one is planned to be definitely long enough to overreach 50,000 words, but I'm not as confident, and I've already written some of it. The problem with the other one is that I want to write that one on my own time.

So I have to make a new story. It's not original, it's technically a sequel to one Chapter of the first fanfic mentioned in this post. Let's hope this time, I don't get writer's block just as I reach about 20,000 words like I did the last two years.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
Yes, I'll be attempting NaNoWriMo this year. I have no idea how far I will get, but knowing me something will show up in real life to distract me and then I won't be able to get my motivation back XD

As for what I'm writing, I've got something in mind. Originally, I was going to write something completely new, but on second thought I'm going to continue working on a choose-your-own-adventure story I was in the process of writing called Apprentice. I've only written about six or seven pages - I'm not far into it at all - so I don't consider it cheating. The real advantage here is that because CYOA stories have multiple paths the word count will probably be easier to reach, as instead of having to come up with ideas and flesh out one storyline I can spread myself among multiple storylines.
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
SentryDown
The Sovereign Fist

Never heard of this 'til I saw this topic. Now I'm interested. I've had an idea for a book for sometime but never got around to actually writing. Now I feel like I should.

LETS DO THIS THING
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:20 PM
Charlie Kelly
King of the Rats

Well, looks like it's time to start. Good luck, everyone! I'm very excited to get started writing.
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Sgt Shock
Goldsmith

Nature: Calm
I'm attempting to do it this year. I have started on a completely new story called /16th Day. I proudly finished the prologue beforehand, but it is officially started with chapter 1. I'm going to try to get to at least chapter 5 by the end of the week, but I'm not going to put a schedule before me. I tend to stress for no apparent reason when that happens.

So, how is progress going on the first day? Have you been sitting on an idea today? Have you started? Are you having a bad start?

"To me, jumping out into the rainy sky on a mad night is nothing more than a bit of fun to go with a drink." -Kinzo
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here