The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 30th, 2011 (09:22 PM). Edited November 1st, 2011 by T3chwolf3.
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty

Hydreigon@Life Orb
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn


Lucario@Expert Belt
Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest
-Dark Pulse
-Vacuum Wave
-Aura Sphere
-Hidden Power (Ice)


Vaporeon@Leftovers
Water Absorb
252 HP/ 176 Def / 82 SDef
Calm
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Wish


Rotom-W@Magnet
Levitate
Need to redo this Poke so it'll be awhile before I know him for sure
Will have Volt Switch


Gliscor@(Nothing yet)
Sand Veil
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute


Darmanitan@Life Orb
Sheer Force
252 Atk / 4SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant
-U-turn
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

I also need something to replace my Emboar and I would very much appreciate any comments and criticism on how to make this team better for competition. I need another move on Hydreigon and would love to see him revised. Please and Thank you!

P.S. I would also like to see a strategy built with this team too if you want to include that also
EDIT:
1. I see now that my team besides Luxray is OU so I'm a bit upset about that lol but I guess it's what I have to be in to use some of my faves
2. Changed Team
3. Changed Team again!
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #2    
Old October 30th, 2011 (09:58 PM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Since this is wifi competitive (pretty sure...), there's a few things you can't change, but you can make use of. Unfortunately poison heal Gliscor is usually better, but it does run a sand veil set as seen (I'll list the other things just incase you aren't going w/ wifi):

Gliscor@Flying Gem
Sand Veil
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gliscor usually doesn't find much use for Stone Edge, while EQ is there for coverage against things you'll face (and with a few SD boosts, can OHKO forry/ferro but usually used w/ taunt). Acrobatics is really really annoying (sadly you didn't get Adamant nature) but can still really hurt the opponent, substitute is there to pretty much protect you so you can set up.

For Vaporeon, using items such as nevermeltice doesn't really help at all, since it only boosts ice attacks, and you want its STAB attacks as good as they can be. The only Vaporeon that really suits what you want needs to be bred to get wish (iirc), so you could always go with another water Pokemon in that place.

Again on Hydreigon, darkglasses just don't really work, but the set you'd most likely go with is:

Hydreigon@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast / U-turn

This can utilise its two STABs, specialising in its special stats, hitting hard straight off with Life Orb, while Fire Blast can defeat the steels you'd otherwise have issues with. Focus Blast can hurt anything else that'd be likely to give you trouble such as Heatran etc.

For Lucario, with modest, using a physically inclined moveset doesn't really work, so the two sets you could go with are:

Lucario@Life Orb
Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power Ice

Or,

Lucario@Choice Specs
Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Ice
- Vacuum Wave

Both are special, and both hit hard, it depends whether you want the extra boost, or to be locked into an attack, with vacuum wave used for priority, Aura Sphere for STAB and Dark Pulse for coverage, while Hidden Power Ice hurts the other things you'd otherwise attack. If you're sticking to wifi, then going with the first set is easiest.

For Luxray, you might be better off with Rotom-W, since it covers both water/electric for STABs, (as in you won't need Vaporeon) and can be pretty annoying, of course, with Rotom-W would come Scizor (U-turn + Volt Switch is an annoying combination but is effective since both basically resist each other's weaknesses), replacing both of the two. Scizor is also primarily physical, which can cover Chansey w/ Superpower that your others pretty much couldn't.

Emboar isn't really... good at all competitively. You could always go with Heatran which will help against dragons:

Heatran@Air Balloon
Flash Fire
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
- Stealth Rock

Generally fire blast is there for STAB power, while flamethrower can work. Earth Power is there to defeat other Heatran (predicted switch in!), while HP ice / grass can take down the things you have the issues with the most. Personally I usually go with HP ice but grass can be useful too against water types. SR is there to annoy the opponent, etc.

gl!
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #3    
Old October 31st, 2011 (01:20 AM). Edited October 31st, 2011 by T3chwolf3.
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Since this is wifi competitive (pretty sure...), there's a few things you can't change, but you can make use of. Unfortunately poison heal Gliscor is usually better, but it does run a sand veil set as seen (I'll list the other things just incase you aren't going w/ wifi):

Gliscor@Flying Gem
Sand Veil
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gliscor usually doesn't find much use for Stone Edge, while EQ is there for coverage against things you'll face (and with a few SD boosts, can OHKO forry/ferro but usually used w/ taunt). Acrobatics is really really annoying (sadly you didn't get Adamant nature) but can still really hurt the opponent, substitute is there to pretty much protect you so you can set up.

For Vaporeon, using items such as nevermeltice doesn't really help at all, since it only boosts ice attacks, and you want its STAB attacks as good as they can be. The only Vaporeon that really suits what you want needs to be bred to get wish (iirc), so you could always go with another water Pokemon in that place.

Again on Hydreigon, darkglasses just don't really work, but the set you'd most likely go with is:

Hydreigon@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast / U-turn

This can utilise its two STABs, specialising in its special stats, hitting hard straight off with Life Orb, while Fire Blast can defeat the steels you'd otherwise have issues with. Focus Blast can hurt anything else that'd be likely to give you trouble such as Heatran etc.

For Lucario, with modest, using a physically inclined moveset doesn't really work, so the two sets you could go with are:

Lucario@Life Orb
Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power Ice

Or,

Lucario@Choice Specs
Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Ice
- Vacuum Wave

Both are special, and both hit hard, it depends whether you want the extra boost, or to be locked into an attack, with vacuum wave used for priority, Aura Sphere for STAB and Dark Pulse for coverage, while Hidden Power Ice hurts the other things you'd otherwise attack. If you're sticking to wifi, then going with the first set is easiest.

For Luxray, you might be better off with Rotom-W, since it covers both water/electric for STABs, (as in you won't need Vaporeon) and can be pretty annoying, of course, with Rotom-W would come Scizor (U-turn + Volt Switch is an annoying combination but is effective since both basically resist each other's weaknesses), replacing both of the two. Scizor is also primarily physical, which can cover Chansey w/ Superpower that your others pretty much couldn't.

Emboar isn't really... good at all competitively. You could always go with Heatran which will help against dragons:

Heatran@Air Balloon
Flash Fire
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
- Stealth Rock

Generally fire blast is there for STAB power, while flamethrower can work. Earth Power is there to defeat other Heatran (predicted switch in!), while HP ice / grass can take down the things you have the issues with the most. Personally I usually go with HP ice but grass can be useful too against water types. SR is there to annoy the opponent, etc.

gl!
Thank you! This set seems really solid, and it's for competition on this site and wifi. Also, I'm not big on legendaries so anyone else I could use? And I'm still open to any set as long is its not ridiculous lol
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #4    
Old October 31st, 2011 (08:31 AM).
Ooka's Avatar
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Challenging The E4
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Not much I can say that Forever hasn't already gotten to. Like it was said, Rotom-W would be a much better option over Luxray, though if that would be a difficult Pokemon, you could use Magnezone, which works pretty well with Gliscor or even Jolteon. As for your last options, a Fire type would be nice, though I think Jirachi would do great taking Ice Beams aimed at Hydreigon and Gliscor, and Thunderbolts aimed at Vaporeon. But yeah, one step at a time. Hope to see a finished team.
  #5    
Old October 31st, 2011 (08:58 AM).
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooka View Post
Not much I can say that Forever hasn't already gotten to. Like it was said, Rotom-W would be a much better option over Luxray, though if that would be a difficult Pokemon, you could use Magnezone, which works pretty well with Gliscor or even Jolteon. As for your last options, a Fire type would be nice, though I think Jirachi would do great taking Ice Beams aimed at Hydreigon and Gliscor, and Thunderbolts aimed at Vaporeon. But yeah, one step at a time. Hope to see a finished team.
Thanks =) and I was thinking Rotom-F because I used it before against my friend and it was my game winner both times lol so I will be using a Rotom with Volt switch, idk which one though lol
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #6    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:04 AM). Edited October 31st, 2011 by Ooka.
Ooka's Avatar
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Challenging The E4
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Edit: My bad, mistake on my part. I was reading Rotom-F as Rotom-Fan. Um, Freezer Rotom is only really good on Hail teams, and it's SR weak, along with Rotom-H. Rotom-W has Hydro Pump, which hits a lot of the current metagame really hard, and what it doesn't Volt Switch hits really hard. I dunno, in the end it's up to you, but Rotom-F is really just a hail team Poke.
  #7    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:12 AM). Edited October 31st, 2011 by T3chwolf3.
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Hmmm I'll try Rotom-W but I don't see why that one is the best lol
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #8    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:14 AM).
Ooka's Avatar
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Challenging The E4
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Just updated my last post. xD And the main reason it is the best is because Hydro Pump hits a lot of common threats now, and on top of that, it's the only form that isn't SR weak (Rotom Fire, Ice, and Flying all take 25% damage each time they switch into SR, while Rotom-W only takes 12%)
  #9    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:17 AM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooka View Post
Just updated my last post. xD And the main reason it is the best is because Hydro Pump hits a lot of common threats now, and on top of that, it's the only form that isn't SR weak (Rotom Fire, Ice, and Flying all take 25% damage each time they switch into SR, while Rotom-W only takes 12%)
There's also the fact that it's only weak to grass types, which only about 4-5 are common in OU which is really low compared to all other types, so it's a lot harder to take out for that reason, as well as being naturally bulky.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #10    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:20 AM).
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
I see your point lol, maybe I should use Charizard as my Fire? Although he is weak to SR, Emboar is kinda poodoo and Blaziken is uber, along with my dislike of Infernape haha, so who should be my fire type?
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #11    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:27 AM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
You could always go with Volcarona - it isn't a legendary, can take psychics as well as those that'll set up hazards and generally annoy your opponents with either HP rock or ground (SR weak though, which pretty much all fire types are :x). Plus with a few boosts iirc should be able to OHKO Latios, one of the most annoying Pokemon w/ its speed and sPA.

If so you'd go with:

Volcarona@Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- HP rock / ground

QD for the much loved boosts, bug buzz for STAB and lowers opponent's spD, fiery dance increases sPA and HP rock can take out a Dragonite that has switched in and other annoying Pokemon, while ground kills off Heatran.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #12    
Old October 31st, 2011 (09:40 AM).
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
You could always go with Volcarona - it isn't a legendary, can take psychics as well as those that'll set up hazards and generally annoy your opponents with either HP rock or ground (SR weak though, which pretty much all fire types are :x). Plus with a few boosts iirc should be able to OHKO Latios, one of the most annoying Pokemon w/ its speed and sPA.

If so you'd go with:

Volcarona@Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- HP rock / ground

QD for the much loved boosts, bug buzz for STAB and lowers opponent's spD, fiery dance increases sPA and HP rock can take out a Dragonite that has switched in and other annoying Pokemon, while ground kills off Heatran.
Hmmmm I thought about the little Fire/Bug, I wouldn't know who comes in more, Heatran or Dragonite? But I would like something that kinda stands out lol, of course Volcarona comes first if I can't get someone to my liking (visually)
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #13    
Old October 31st, 2011 (10:57 PM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
I would suggest Ninetales, but since it's pretty much always needing drought (and since you aren't running a team around Ninetales) I don't think it'd have much of a purpose - in fact it'd just be leaving your team weaker to things like Heatran (Gliscor for example can't take spD hits well so it'd die easily) through Drought boosting fire attacks (while it works for Hydreigon, that's about the only use it has).

On the other hand all I can really think of is Darmanitan, in which you could go for either the choice'd or the powerful set, (both literally the same with a different item):

Darmanitan@Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Sheer Force
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower / Earthquake

Flare Blitz as its most powerful + STAB, u-turn for scouting, rock slide is boosted by sheer force, while EQ/superpower can be used depending on how often you want Darmanitan to switch out (superpower > u-turn each turn basically if you're planning to use superpower) while EQ covers other things.

Also for Rotom-W, magnet is a bad idea (boosting volt switch doesn't really matter if its purpose is for just getting out of there :x), since Rotom-W either wants to fool the foes into using one attack that won't benefit them, or to gradually recover HP. The two sets you'd generally go with are:

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Levitate
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp / HP Fire
- Pain Split

This set = based around its main STABs (and volt switch since you want it), Hydro Pump for power, w-o-w to slowly wear down foes or HP fire for steels/ferrothorn, with pain split to help it last longer while the opponent suffers w/ its HP. As long as it doesn't have recover then you should be all good.

OR you could go w/ the other Rotom-W set of:

Rotom-W@Choice item
Levitate
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- HP Fire
- Trick

This one is generally situational and involves a bit of prediction to pull it off, since if you don't swap the right item then generally you could give the opponent the upperhand - luckily trick can be used 15 times iirc, but still be careful. :x
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #14    
Old October 31st, 2011 (11:55 PM).
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
I like Darmanitan =) and I've seen that moveset too, and it worked all too well on me lol.
For Rotom I need to breed it since mine isn't EV trained properly, so I gotta restart him. But jw how is Magmortar competitively?
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
  #15    
Old November 1st, 2011 (01:45 AM).
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
While Magmortar has a fantastic move pool, its average Speed lets it down. Sure, it can learn Thunderbolt, but it will struggle against Gastrodon and Quagsire if it lacks Hidden Power Grass.

(someone could elaborate a bit more on this)
__________________

  #16    
Old November 1st, 2011 (02:34 AM).
T3chwolf3's Avatar
T3chwolf3
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
While Magmortar has a fantastic move pool, its average Speed lets it down. Sure, it can learn Thunderbolt, but it will struggle against Gastrodon and Quagsire if it lacks Hidden Power Grass.

(someone could elaborate a bit more on this)
I understand completely, I guess that means it's Darmanitan for me!
__________________
Black FC: 1163 1811 7552
HeartGold: 5329 3796 9048
Platinum: 0690 8223 8432
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.