• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Second Generation Travel Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technician

Aerial Ace
Years
I was four when I received my first ever video game, Pokemon Yellow. I was so awesome at it, even though I couldn't read half the words. In fact, I was SO AWESOME at it that I trained my Pikachu (and only my Pikachu) to level 70, had my brother evolve it through a trade, and then sobbed when Blue sent out his Sandslash at the Indigo Plateau. Ah, youth.

I lol'd at this. Good times.

So inspired by this thread, I just pulled out my GBC and am restarting Yellow as I type. I am flooded with memories from being 8 years old.

My fondest memory, though, is training an Abra, evolving it, then trading back and forth with my friend Cody to get an Alakazam. I think I got Ala to about level 70 by the time I was at the E4. I remember running out of PP on my attacks though so I had to beat Blue with Flash and Struggle.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
i remember not ever beating ONE game when i played. I could never figure out that there was a story line you had to follow. i just liked beating gyms and making a whole bunch of wild pokemon faint!

But since i found my yellow and changed the internal battery in my crystal 2 days ago, im having a wonderful time! i beat yellow a month ago, and im in Olivine city heading to Cinnabar Island right now in crystal!

GOTTA BEAT EM ALL!....POKEMON! :D

Technician

Aerial Ace
Years
Playing through Yellow again, and the gym leader music is instantly my favourite again. I just love it. I have to argue that it's the some of the best music in the series.

Foozles

"power of the Pokemon"
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2013
I remember being 5 and playing Yellow.... I would get to Pewter with hardly anything other than the Pikachu, then take on Brock. I'd lose, start back at my house, then rage quit after about three tries.... I seldom ever got past Brock, and would die in Mt. Moon and NEVER be able to beat anything... So I'd turn the game off!
A year or two later, I found out you could heal at a Pokemon Center... then a little later, I found the Save function... then finally caught a Caterpie and evolved it fully.
When I was 7 or 8, I got all the way to the mansion in Cinnabar, couldn't figure anything out, then quit till I was maybe 11, when i finally beat the game!

The sad part is that I beat Gold and Crystal before Yellow....

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2011
mmm the colour ones probally had my best memories - like getting blastoise for the first time. also when i defeated the first 5 gyms before i lost the game. made me pretty proud :D

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
Just started playing Silver version over again last night, the music and the graphics are a blast from the past :)

Going to start to build a strong six Pokemon team early so I'll have an advantage later on.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I remember I was playing on my game boy pocket instead of my GBC and was in the bug catching came and caught a venonat whilst not really paying attention.. then a scyther showed up and I was like OMG and I tried to catch the scyther but couldn't and got all upset.. but I got in second with my venonat.

>_> then I went on my bro's GBC to discover that the venonat was a shiny..

@_@ I was like.. omg..

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
Years
I remember in Blue version when I defeated Lance I went on against Blue "Gary" & when the champion music came up I was like huh whats happening!? And finally I realized it was the champion battle when I saw "Champion Gary would like to battle". I was mindblown

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
A while back in like March or something I finally managed to get a hold of a GB/GBA switcher link cable from a friend and got to evolve my hard-trained scyther in crystal. I felt so great! I love my Scisor!

I remember in Blue version when I defeated Lance I went on against Blue "Gary" & when the champion music came up I was like huh whats happening!? And finally I realized it was the champion battle when I saw "Champion Gary would like to battle". I was mindblown
Ha ha I love the feeling you get when you read "Champion Gary wants to fight!" and that awesome music starts to play. I cherish that moment in Red. I even take a pause before I send out my pokemon to listen to the first 30 secs of the battle theme!

Last edited:

Trevo

Ironfist Boss
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2016
I remember when I first played Pokemon Crystal. It was 5 years ago, back when I was becoming 10 years old. I had a friend who had pokemon crystal, and I was a die-hard pokemon fan back then. Anyways, I borrowed pokemon crystal, and Gold, but was focused more on crystal. I realized he was at the pokemon league, but hasn't caught suicune yet. I battled Suicune, but foolishly used the master ball. I feel so stupid. Playing Pokemon Crystal actually Inspired me to get the game. I don't have it though, but I have been wanting the game ever since. This year might be the one!

2 Years later, I actually got Pokemon Yellow, a really good classic. I was usually stuck at Brock, with his super strong onix >:( I finally beat him, which was good, and went to beat the rest of the game.

Another 2 years later, My Pokemon Yellow game died. Suprisingly when I saved it without putting in another save battery, It saved perfectly. It was actually good it deleted on me, because I could catch a level 100 nidoking in veridian forest using a glitch. I did other glitches like Mew glitch, and stuff like that, but I actually beat the game again. :D

Oh what wonderful memories, but now life is crap.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2012

Background Story about me and Pokémon:

Spoiler:

So, after a background story, on to the memories:

*First day of gaming I played for like 5 hours straight, defeating both Brock and Misty with my Powerful Charmander. Even tough I weren't a kid, I was a total nubcake with no sense of which moves who were powerful or not.

*Got stuck in alot of places: (Cereulan City, Saffron Guards, Rock Tunnel, Lavender Town-Poké Flute hunting).

*Captured like 20 diffrent kinds of Pokémon's who all did some kind of appearnce in my team. But, finally, I had this team for the Elite Four:

Charizard, Electrode, Pidgeot, Kabutops, Hitmonlee, Alakazam.

My favorite team of all time, because it was the first.

And finally my epic Elite Four Challenge.

My Pokémon's were underleveled. They did their best, but did fall pretty soon. When the battle against Lance were going, I only had Charizard, Kabutops and Hitmonlee left.
I tried to make a risky move and decide to send in Hitmonlee against his last Dragonite. Hi's Hyper Beam misses and my Hi Jump Kick hits, so I defeat him!

But, problem is my Rival (named after two fat twins I hated) is the champion. Charizard and Kabutops tries their best but faints. Up against his level 65 Blastoise is my Hitmonlee (around 45-55). Yet again, he lives and goes for the Hi Jump Kick!

Scared and excited I say how Blastoise lost his life and I became the champion!

Some weeks later I captured Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Mewtwo the same day. Since I was a heartless bastard I let Articuno replace Pidgeot and even worse, Mewtwo took the hero HITMONLEE's place. Sorry Hitmonlee, one day I will thank as the hero you are.

Will mention Crystal Adventures later.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Sweet nostalgy of Pokemon Red.

I got it when I was like, a child (don't know how was my age).
My first Pokemon was a squirtle.

I remember that I got stuck in Cerulean city for days and I farmed my Wartortle to level 35 before finding the famous "stolen house" with the man who gives you TM28.

I remember, me too, how awesome the Champion Gary Theme is!

But after I had to remove my save.
Reason? My dumb sister had removed my lvl 100 Blastoise and my lvl 100 Zapdos.

From that, I were disgusted of playing with Zapdos then I discovered Articuno and fell in love with it.

How cool is that, an Ice beam in Dragonite's head! Hahaha!

Last edited:

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Yesterday I finally managed to level up my Scizor from level 56 to level 57.... believe me when I say that took me a long time....

Thrash

Feebas Führer
Years
Crystal holds a very special place in my heart because it was by far my most played Pokémon game (aside from Black now). I remember my very first shiny Pokémon, and no, it wasn't Gyarados. Remember that egg you get from the Daycare man when you talk to him for the first time? Well, it contains either Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, or Magby and has a 50% chance (I believe) of being shiny. Anyway, I was just biking along the Bug-Catching-Contest park (National Park?) with my egg when all of a sudden, it was hatch time!

At first I was a bit confused why my Igglybuff didn't look normal. I mean, it was a lighter hue of pink and hinted with green. I knew Igglybuff didn't have green in it normally. But, I chalked it up to just a color error and went on my merry way to train my new little pink ball of cuteness.

But then......"Go! IGGLYBUFF!" *shine shine shine*

I mean, I still didn't understand. But I just knew my little Igglybuff was special. And I refused to evolve it because I thought it'd just turn into a normal Jigglypuff. And that shiny Igglypuff never left my party.

Ah, nostalgia.

Guest123_x1

After reading these posts, some of the situations in them applied to me in one form or another. Here's some of my memories of playing through the Gen. I games (mostly from when I first got Yellow, which was my first Pokémon game, for Christmas 1999).
Most of my memories I'm posting about Yellow are from 1999-2000. With Blue, which I acquired later, 2001 or so.

Didn't get past Brock during my first Yellow playthrough, cause I didn't bother to read that Electric moves don't affect ground types.
Same thing happened with me on my first Yellow playthrough. Also around this time I kept trying to exit Pewter City to the east (Route 3) before beating Brock, only (of course) to get redirected to the gym every single time!
I don't know how I managed to beat Brock the first time around (using mostly Normal attacks), but on later save files/playthorughs, I went the Butterfree route.
EDIT: Early on, I thought the only way to beat Brock in Yellow was to trade for a Bulbasaur or Squirtle from Red or Blue.

Been there, done that. Then I discovered that you had to trade through a friend, so me and my brother traded it back and forth. I think I still have it in one of my boxes.

Probably I'be had the same bad luck with Graveler until we found out about the trade evolutions. Oh, and Evolution Rocks.
On my Blue, I had trained my Graveler (which I caught as a Geodude in Mt. Moon) for quite a while before I linked up to my cousin's Game Boy Color (I also had a Game Boy Color) and Pokémon games, trading my Graveler over to the other game (don't remember which one), then traded it back right after it evolved. The Graveler was, level-wise, in the 70s or 80s when the trade was done.

I remember when I used a Master Ball on a Graveler in Dark Cave... I was mad that I wasted a Master Ball on a simple Graveler -___-"
On Yellow, I made a similar mistake, wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd after getting frustrated over it breaking out of my Great Balls (I had its HP almost down to nothing).

I remember that I got stuck in Cerulean city for days and I farmed my Wartortle to level 35 before finding the famous "stolen house" with the man who gives you TM28.
When I first made it to Cerulean City, I spent days trying to figure out how to get back to Mt. Moon (and Pewter City).

MartianOddity said:
Your story reminds me of the fact that I killed Articuno. The experience it gave me was great so I rejoiced. Then I understood it was a one-of-a-kind pokémon and became sad...

I think I also killed my Zapdos before understanding that it was a one-of-a-kind.
When I battled each of the three Legendary Birds (and both Snorlaxes), I very foolishly ran from each battle, not realizing they were all one-of-a-kind. Of course, I then lived to regret it-until my save file I had made these mistakes on got wiped (more on that below).

Other memories of mine (all on Yellow):
*On Route 1, I tried to figure out relentlessly how to access the grass on the sides of the route made inaccessible by the blocks. I even thought at one point they contained rare Pokémon.

*When going to Viridian City for the first time, (when I first got that game), I couldn't figure out what, if anything, needed to be done in order for the Gym to open (thinking it was the first gym).

*I tried to capture many other trainer's Pokémon (especially those that cannot be found in the wild, such as Weedle and Meowth), which was really stupid and ignorant of me since the sign in Viridian Forest and the game manual specifically warning not to do this.

*When I got to Saffron City for the first time, I couldn't figure out how I would ever be able to get in the Saffron Gym (NOT the Fighting Dojo), which was always blocked by a Rocket Grunt until you defeated them in the Silph Building. When I did beat Team Rocket in the aforementioned building, I then entered the official Gym to battle Sabrina, even though I had not made it to Fuchsia City yet, thinking this gym was the 5th (not the 6th, as it actually is).

*I really spoiled my Pikachu the first time I played through it, even though NPCs and the game manual tell you to raise your team evenly. I abandoned this practice when my save file I made this mistake on (and other mistakes, including the others I mentioned above) got wiped.

Finally, as I have brought up a few times here in the past, all of this ended on Labor Day 2000, when early in the evening, I turned on Yellow, only to get an error message saying that my save file data had been "destroyed". Everything I had accomplished, as well as all the mistakes I made, in that save file were wiped out. I had that file since early 2000 (when it was still winter) at the latest.
I don't know what I did to cause this, as I was unaware of any glitches to exploit at the time. (Now that I think about it, maybe the clock/odometer ran over.)

Last edited:
Years
Been playing Pokémon Crystal lately - and spotted Raikou - for the FIRST TIME EVER in all my years of playing :) Had him on my Pokédex so I hunted him down and caught him with my Masterball :D I'm still in shock lol :)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't have a lot of memories of playing Red. I was pretty young. I think one of my cousins showed me the Mew glitch and Missingno one day but at the time I just thought he found it in the game. I ended up losing my Red and found it in the grass one day and it would not work. :(
I have a lot of memories from playing Gold. I played it alot cause when RS came out I didn't have a GBA. My teams were pretty bad. Mostly legendaries I think. My friend discovered the clone glitch and would clone his Lugia and lend them to me lol. That's how I would beat the Elite Four most the time.
I remembered I burrow a friends Cyrstal version. He wanted me to get through the Burned Tower cause he hated the music. I did that for him and he said I could finish the whole game after that. I kept it for four years and ended up ruining the clock. Now it's always 12:37 pm on Wednesday. XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
Journal Entry I:

Just beat Morty, hiking over to Olivine.

Team:
Croconaw
Nidorino
Sandslash
Growlithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back