Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio
Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here

HotY 2011 Discussion Thread:

This thread is where discussions regarding the Hack of the Year competition can be held. Because the official threads are for voting only, we have created this thread for you all to voice your opinions on this year's competition. Please try to keep conversation civil and respectful.

Brother of Vrai
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM
cr4y
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
A tough competition considering there are many decent hacks out there.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4y View Post
A tough competition considering there are many decent hacks out there.
I don't think so. The hacks that actually deserve HotY and aren't ineligible are finger-counted. I'll have to think about it carefully, however.

Also, it's clear which hack most people will spam in every category already.
This is my December . . .
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
The 4 hacks that are fighting for the HotY are Light Platinum, Flora Sky, Life of Guardians, and Snakewood and the competition is tight between those 4 so it's anyone's game... =)
キレイハナ
When the heavy rainfall season ends, it is drawn out by warm sunlight to dance in the open.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Snivy063
Booted out - don't be like me!

I've played Life of Guardians several times already, and I couldn't get bored of it since the plot is very cool that wouldn't let you stop playing it. :)
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:11 AM
Starchomp
Avid Gambler

Nature: Calm
Truality is right, while there are many good hacks here, most of them haven't Progressed enough to justify winning an award.

I think snakewood will be what I'll vote for because it was just a really fun and interesting hack to play.
Flabébé is so awesome
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
If Flora Sky wins I leave PC. It's full of stolen sprites and is nowhere near the standard of past winners.
Although there are many problems with Snakewood, I'd like to see it win for the pure fact that it was the most fun hack I'd played in ages.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Tcoppy
W
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Honestly, even though I worked with beta testing the english release of Light Platinum, the fanbase is really out of control with noobs and such so it doesn't really get my vote..plus the hack was cluttered with random useless rival battles

Fireworks stole what I was gonna say about Flora Sky so I won't even bother commenting on that.The Victini event wasn't that bad though.

Life of Guardians...well come on, if it doesn't win at least get it to second place, the story was fun and that hack was one of the most fun games I ever played, and come on, it's been in third place for two years, right? It might get my vote.

Snakewood is just one of the best hacks out there in my opinion, and it has R/S/E tiles!A hack that still has the same tiles that might win hack of the year (not to mention it's ruby tiles) it would be amazing. So it might get my vote.

In other words, Light Platinum fans are too over the top, Flora Sky just confuses me,Life of Guardians either needs to win or get out of third place, and Snakewood has bland ruby tiles but the story makes up for it.

Poketch

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

I have played Light Platinum about 20% of the game, Flora Sky 80%, Snakewood about 65%, and I haven't started playing Life of Guardians but to me, all of them are promising hacks. Light Platinum is a great hack with beautiful tiles and the story is like plating HG/SS but in a different sense... Flora Sky, well, a good hack but tiles kinda bright but scripting is good... Snakewood is one of the best hacks out there and has a sense of originality and even though it has RSE tiles, it makes up for it for its amazing storyline! I haven't played Life of Guardians so I don't know how to rate it... Still, I may download it today so I can see its features... =)
キレイハナ
When the heavy rainfall season ends, it is drawn out by warm sunlight to dance in the open.

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
TheChaosBlue
Jump On Box For a Free Life!

Send a message via Skype™ to TheChaosBlue
My first time partcipating in the HOTY competition...definitely a good time to join.

Wow, now this is a tough one...each have their own merits that make them stand out. Snakewood have definitely stood out as relying on its plot I give it that. Light Platinum is just so beuatiful to look at, and feels like an official game. Flora Sky follows that too, with a nice sidequest after the main game. And Life of Guardians is just amazing, no other words can be said...
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
It's going to be fun this year. I should get back to work on Aqua Sapphire so I can get something in before the end of the year. I'll be placing a vote in when that time comes (I think it works like that anyways.) except if my hack gets in (although that's not too likely).

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I do see Light Platinum getting far this year, it's a credible hack afterall.
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Dang, it's been that quick already? I remember last year's competition exactly. Time goes by so fast these days...

But yeah I don't see as many impressive hacks anymore, so I can guess who's gonna win this year... Maybe.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
The year's competition~
I may come out third once again, making it 3rd 3 times in 3 years in a row xD

Anyway, I wish that this year's competition will be great~
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
shomoher

Not sure if I have the right to do this... but I'll write of my opinions. It's just my personal thoughts... so I wish no one criticizes them too harshly...

Not in any particular order

1. Flora Sky
Pros: Good Scripting. Engaging Storyline.
Cons: ...I'm not too sure. I liked Flora Sky... but not 'loved' it. There is something in this hack I didn't really like... but I can't remember it atm... :O (One thing was that it was difficult to figure out what to do next after I finished one event...)

2. Light Platinum
Pros: Excellent Graphics and Tiles. Two Regions (wow!).
Cons: Boring Storyline... and I seriously got fed up with some people saying the same thing over and over again in cities and towns. The Gyms' layouts and the Legendary Pokemon lairs were tediously designed too...

3. Snakewood
Pros: Unique and engaging storyline and theme (Zombies... :O wow!).
Cons: RUBY TILES... (but still it was actually quite good!). Too Many 'secrets' (I know most people like to uncover extra secrets (e.g locations of Shaderu, the Item Key Chain etc.) on their own... but I SUCK AT THEM, so it was frustrating for me to figure all those out... (to be honest... I still haven't figured out most of them yet)

4. Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians
Pros: Lovely Tiles. Cool Storyline. Very Engaging.
Cons: The Bad-Normal-Good Feature. It is unique, but that means I have to play the game three times to cover all the aspects of the game... which I don't really like.

Overall... I would say LoG > Snakewood > Flora Sky > Light Platinum... but that's just my opinion

Ice Pokemon are the Best~

TaeYeon. Jessica. Sunny. Tiffany. HyoYeon. YuRi. SooYoung. YoonA. SeoHyun
DJ I Love You
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
AshtonTS
Umbreon

Nature: Rash
What about Liquid Crystal? That one's pretty good too

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Really hoping Sinnoh Quest gets to the next round, which so far it is. It's a really amazing hack.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:48 AM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

It seems that LoG, Snakewood, Flora Sky, Light Platinum are the leaders here... One reason that they are the leaders is because all of them are complete or atleast 85% complete. Also, they all have amazing tiles and storylines!
キレイハナ

gunnerpow7

Old November 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerpow7 View Post
It seems that LoG, Snakewood, Flora Sky, Light Platinum are the leaders here... One reason that they are the leaders is because all of them are complete or atleast 85% complete. Also, they all have amazing tiles and storylines!
You just contradicted yourself.
Anyway, it's obvious who's won this year.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
*sigh* You people should give your votes a little more thought... and I would like to point out how sad the absence of Pokemon Identity is. I'm delaying my votes because I'm thinking carefully about this contest.
Maybe I got too serious, but then again, this is not MOTY. This contest is actually about something that people put a lot of effort into. I don't enjoy seeing air-headed opinions on the matter, but can't help it, eh?

Semi-rant aside, I do hope that through the 'public demand' cast, LoG will prevail.

Also, I lol'd.
This is my December . . .
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:29 AM
rockerzz182
Beginning Trainer

Im rooting for Light Platinum Because it has a great graphics and has a two regions,World Championship and the previous protagonist,rivals and legendaries..Im rooting also in Pokemon Flora sky..=D
This signature has been disabled.
Too tall. Maximum height allowed is 350 px.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Poké - Nyota
//going down//

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Poké - Nyota
Since I'm new to PC 'haven't had a lot of time to play hacks, but, the leaders...
Honestly, none of the hacks have really caught my eye, but I'm still planning on playing them if just for the sake of having an opinion.

The only one I have played, Flora Sky, I couldn't bring myself to play much of it. I don't know if I was just missing
something or what, but it bored me.
Nice story line, but overall it was nothing too gripping.

--

Unfortunately, it IS looking obvious who will win.

--

@Truality - I lol'd also

and isn't this exactly WHERE you'd like me?
--
i'm exactly where you'd like me; you know.

~
Supported Hacks

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:47 PM
SonicBlazePlatinum
/)^3^(\
Community Supporter

Pokemon Flora Sky seems too unfinished to be Hack of the Year as it has unedited texts, and reused characters especially with Frontier Brain Cailtin being Gym Leader and Elite Four Caitlin being Palace Maven and they're the same person. Pokemon Light Platinum has repetitive texts and the Pokemon used by trainers are also repetitive such as the overuse of Purugly.

I think it should be either Pokemon Snakewood or Life of Guardians since their both in better quality. Pokemon Snakewood has zombies, zombiemons, Battlezombies, and the fun Deadly Seven. While RD: LOG has a storyline that allows you to be bad and both are Ruby ROM Hacks, I'm hoping Snakewood wins with its original whimsicallity.
Also known as SonicBronyPlatinum or Princess Copyright Infringement.
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
hashtag
the man in black

So disappointed with this years hacks. Literally only two hacks produced this year are good enough for Hack of the Month, let alone Hack of the Year. :/
"i am the hero pokécommunity deserves, but not the one it needs right now"

paired with christos
retired rom hacker
please PM me any moderation requests (keep in mind the 24 hour rule)
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
So disappointed with this years hacks. Literally only two hacks produced this year are good enough for Hack of the Month, let alone Hack of the Year. :/
I fully agree with this statement despite not even knowing what hacks it is referring to.
But seriously though the quality this year has been insert-swear-word-here. Quartz all the way!

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here