The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Which is better? I have been watching both of my childhood shows lately, and that I can't decide, but to me, Pokemon's a bit better, some of the digimon's names are the same. BurningGreymon is not related to Greymon.
This was in Other Voting Polls, but it's locked for no reason. And don't lock this because it's related to Media. And if this gets locked, where do I have to post it at?
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Snivy063
Booted out - don't be like me!

I prefer Pokemon over Digimon. I watched both series in my childhood days, I still watch Pokemon ever since and onwards. Although I must say that Digimon was a good one too, although lost interest when Pokemon took over. :3
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivy063 View Post
I prefer Pokemon over Digimon. I watched both series in my childhood days, I still watch Pokemon ever since and onwards. Although I must say that Digimon was a good one too, although lost interest when Pokemon took over. :3
Pokemon is better, I agree. And that I mainly Like Pokemon by how Ash raises his Pokemon, the Stats of Pokemon, etc.
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Game Over1375
Hito-Shura is awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Game Over1375
Allow me to say this: As far as games are concerned, Pokemon wins by a landslide. As far as the anime are concerned though (based on the original Japanese versions) I have to give it to Digimon. So, who wins? Pokemon, but not by much, at least to me.
ShinyDiamond (Karate Bro)
PkMnTrainerYellow (Improbable Daughter)
Mr. Mammoth (Mammoth Gentleman Son)

Hey everybody! Once a week, I will change my avatar to a video game character(s). If you have any suggestions, PM me. My current avi is of Hito-Shura from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne! It was suggested by TornZero. Someone better suggest the Space Core from Portal 2.
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Over1375 View Post
Allow me to say this: As far as games are concerned, Pokemon wins by a landslide. As far as the anime are concerned though (based on the original Japanese versions) I have to give it to Digimon. So, who wins? Pokemon, but not by much, at least to me.
Yeah, the Digimon games are boring, and that Pokemon is a huge sucesss. And yes Digimon Xros Wars was quite cool.
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Xeberos
Friendship is Magic <3

Nature: Brave
Pokémon of course. It have so much more than Digimon have.

Games, anime and merchandise is better.

But Digimon have one good game - Digimon Rumble Arena 2.
Co-Owner of The Cute Pokemon Club
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeberos View Post
Pokémon of course. It have so much more than Digimon have.

Games, anime and merchandise is better.

But Digimon have one good game - Digimon Rumble Arena 2.
Everyone likes Pokemon, I just wanted opinions on what others think.
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Pokemaster1993
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Pokemaster1993 Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemaster1993
Pokemon. Although Digimon has really sexy creatures like Renamon, Gatomon, and BlackGatomon, Pokemon has Lopunny, Gardevoir, and is a part of my childhood, unlike Digimon.
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemaster1993 View Post
Pokemon. Although Digimon has really sexy creatures like Renamon, Gatomon, and BlackGatomon, Pokemon has Lopunny, Gardevoir, and is a part of my childhood, unlike Digimon.
Don't forget Kazemon too. And that Pokemon is better. What I don't get is why some people call Pokemon stupid.
Old November 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Galukxy
→Not someday.Today is the day.

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Galukxy Send a message via Skype™ to Galukxy
I've grown up with both, but I was more interested in Pokemon and I prefer Pokemon a lot more than Digimon because well, I kind of think Digimon went slightly down hill, in my opinion, but I really loved Pokemon and it played a bigger part of my childhood.

DA||MAL || Portfolio

Old November 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galukxy View Post
I've grown up with both, but I was more interested in Pokemon and I prefer Pokemon a lot more than Digimon because well, I kind of think Digimon went slightly down hill, in my opinion, but I really loved Pokemon and it played a bigger part of my childhood.
Pokemon plays a big role in our imaginations.
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
Digimon..cuz i love moving to another whole new world...inside computers

Old November 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
BurningGreymon is not related to Greymon.
Actually, they are. "Greymon" is used in the names of reptilian Digimon that generally have a three horns on a helmet, orange skin, and a strength in fire attacks. There are some that don't completely fit these qualities though.

Though I guess I should add that "BurningGreymon" is actually the English name. The Japanese name is Vritramon.

Anyhow, I prefer Digimon over Pokemon. Yes, even the games. Digimon games are just better to me because it's not always the same thing. Even the first three Digimon World games for the PlayStation are different. Particularly when comparing the first one to the second. While the DS games are similar, they're more challenging to me, which keeps me interested.

As for the two animes, there's no question about it. Digimon is the one I can watch multiple times and not get tired of it, even a messy season like 02.

Plus, I've always wanted my own Digimon partner. Just to have someone by my side I can talk to, to possibly give advice, and who's willing to do anything to protect me.

Last edited by Astinus; November 16th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:56 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

Oh hey, it's that time of the year when the people outside the section come in to preach Pokemon again. It's been a while.

Anyways, I'm a digimon fan. Generally have been, even back in the time of 10 years ago (ie when digimon and pokemon were in the same time slot, I usually chose digimon, and took pokemon on the friday after-school reruns, unless there was a gym battle coming up, since those were pretty much the only interesting ones). Games-wise, I haven't played a Digimon game, and I generally fall out of Pokemon games after a month or so (dependent on people around me, really).

General Whys:
  1. I like the designs more. Besides this new generation having a lot of not-so-impressive designs, I've generally enjoyed the designs more. In addition, I like how the digimon's names tell you what the motif was.
  2. I like (most of) their toys more. Setting digivices aside, I own an Omegamon Gundam kit, so ya...Also not really into plushes, along with the point above.
  3. Digimon tends to have more plot/depth than Pokemon. If anything, it's a lot darker, even on the manga side. The characters get good development, unlike a certain character who's anime's side-characters get more development off-screen than he does on-screen.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-kun View Post
Oh hey, it's that time of the year when the people outside the section come in to preach Pokemon again. It's been a while.

Anyways, I'm a digimon fan. Generally have been, even back in the time of 10 years ago (ie when digimon and pokemon were in the same time slot, I usually chose digimon, and took pokemon on the friday after-school reruns, unless there was a gym battle coming up, since those were pretty much the only interesting ones). Games-wise, I haven't played a Digimon game, and I generally fall out of Pokemon games after a month or so (dependent on people around me, really).

General Whys:
  1. I like the designs more. Besides this new generation having a lot of not-so-impressive designs, I've generally enjoyed the designs more. In addition, I like how the digimon's names tell you what the motif was.
  2. I like (most of) their toys more. Setting digivices aside, I own an Omegamon Gundam kit, so ya...Also not really into plushes, along with the point above.
  3. Digimon tends to have more plot/depth than Pokemon. If anything, it's a lot darker, even on the manga side. The characters get good development, unlike a certain character who's anime's side-characters get more development off-screen than he does on-screen.
Remember Digimon Frontier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-kun View Post

General Whys:
Remember Digimon Frontier? One of the best Digimon shows.

Last edited by Volcanix769; November 17th, 2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
For the games, Pokemon. As for the anime, I've never seen Digimon but certainly it can't be worse than the disaster that is the Pokemon anime, so going with Digimon on that front. Actually my brother does have a few Digimon Frontier episodes on his computer, and from what I've seen of those, it's better than watching the annoying little brat and his ugly yellow rodent.

Really though, I never got that much into Digimon like I did Pokemon when I was younger, so my responses may be based on general inexperience with Digimon as a whole.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:11 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
I am more of a Pokemon fan. I first liked Digimon back when I was four or five years old, only when things were simpler with Agumon, Gabumon, Gomamon, Lilimon, Tailmon, Patmon. But when things like Veemon started to explode. OMG. I immediately switched to Pokemon with their Pikachus and Clefairies.

Anime-wise, I think Digimon can get no worse than Pokemon, so I'll be Digimon in that side.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
I can't bear Digimon. I remember that younger, each time I heard the opening I turned down the sound level, it was really bad comparate to the epic Pokémon Opening.
And, moreover, I think Digimon are ugly, the anime is barely passable.
On the other hand, Pokémon is just... Waw ! Beautiful creatures, awesome anime (ok, not these days but I remember I was completely crazy about the first season), exceedingly great games...
Pokémon has nothing to envy to Digimon, seriously.

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

I think Digimon trounces Pokemon, in every area except for video games, but that's never been the main focus of that franchise. The anime tend to have really good arcs that actually end, the characters are usually pretty fleshed out and just beyond being darker, the Digimon anime are really well crafted. I can look back on the first couple of series pretty fondly because the characters were so endearing and the stories, even though they weren't incredibly innovative, were a lot of fun and by the end of each series you sort of got the feeling that the characters had grown a lot, something I don't think Pokemon has ever done too well.

I also enjoy the look to most Digimon more than any Pokemon, they strike the right balance of looking realistic and having a mix of fantastical character designs. Financially, yeah, Pokemon's the obvious powerhouse, but I think Digimon wins in a more creative level.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
I think Digimon trounces Pokemon, in every area except for video games, but that's never been the main focus of that franchise. The anime tend to have really good arcs that actually end, the characters are usually pretty fleshed out and just beyond being darker, the Digimon anime are really well crafted. I can look back on the first couple of series pretty fondly because the characters were so endearing and the stories, even though they weren't incredibly innovative, were a lot of fun and by the end of each series you sort of got the feeling that the characters had grown a lot, something I don't think Pokemon has ever done too well.

I also enjoy the look to most Digimon more than any Pokemon, they strike the right balance of looking realistic and having a mix of fantastical character designs. Financially, yeah, Pokemon's the obvious powerhouse, but I think Digimon wins in a more creative level.
Remember WarGreymon and WarGrowlmon, and Imperialdramon? Coolest Digimon ever.
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I like Pokemon better than Digimon because I saw more of the Pokemon episodes than the Digimon ones. But there was this one time when I saw 3 episodes of Digimon again and again a long time ago; I grew tired of those episodes after a while.

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Black Hawk
Char

Nature: Relaxed
well, I played digimon, but the darn things kept dieing!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Volcanix769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
well, I played digimon, but the darn things kept dieing!
Leomon died a lot of time you KNOW. oAo out of 4 seasons.......
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

It's become a running joke, yeah. Every incarnation of Leomon dies, now we just have to wait and see if one appears in Xros Wars Hunters. :P
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
Anime wise? Digimon, hands down. Pokemon is getting kinda dull, even in BW.

My favorite season of Digimon at the moment is probably Tamers, I watch it subbed on Hulu.

EDIT: Why does Leomon always have to die?! Seriously.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here