The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimon Kaiser View Post
Anime wise? Digimon, hands down. Pokemon is getting kinda dull, even in BW.

My favorite season of Digimon at the moment is probably Tamers, I watch it subbed on Hulu.

EDIT: Why does Leomon always have to die?! Seriously.
That's what I've been trying to tell people about the BW anime. It's less interesting and that hardly any Pokemon has personality. I don't understand Tepig(lol Tepid and Pig), Roggenrola, etc. And that my favorite Digimon anime was Digimon Frontier.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Masterge77
Jacen The Robot Floatzel

Nature: Serious
If we are going by the animes, then most definitely Digimon, and for many reasons: Each season is different, they have storylines, and they rarely recycle plotlines except for the whole "save the world" thing, but that's a universal concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimon Kaiser View Post
Anime wise? Digimon, hands down. Pokemon is getting kinda dull, even in BW.

My favorite season of Digimon at the moment is probably Tamers, I watch it subbed on Hulu.

EDIT: Why does Leomon always have to die?! Seriously.
True, anime wise, Digimon is definitely better, mainly because the Pokemon anime is the same thing over and over again, and it has gotten old and very boring to older fans of the franchise, and while I know it's a kids show, it just solely appeals to that audience and refuses to appeal to the older fans of the franchise. This is why a lot of people like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, because it has a lot of the things the Pokemon anime lacks. To an extent, the anime has put a pernament scar on the Pokemon franchise as a whole, in a similar manner to how Aquaman's potrayal in Superfriends put a pernament scar on him.

Yeah, I have no idea why Leomon always has to die, it's like they have the need to put a Leomon in the show, and then kill him off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanix769 View Post
That's what I've been trying to tell people about the BW anime. It's less interesting and that hardly any Pokemon has personality. I don't understand Tepig(lol Tepid and Pig), Roggenrola, etc. And that my favorite Digimon anime was Digimon Frontier.
Agreed, while the Pokemon in the DP anime like Infernape and Buizel had distinguishable personalities that made them likeable characters, the Pokemon in Best Wishes are very one dimensional, and are basically soulless battling machines with barely any emotions, made only to battle other peoples Pokemon and nothing else, while the human characters get all the focus in character development (with the exception of Ash) while ignoring the very creatures that name the franchise, like they are just there in the background serving barely any to no purpose whatsoever other than to battle others, the only Pokemon that really even HAVE personallities are Axew and Oshawott, and both are considered to be "The Scrappy" of the BW season, especially given how much screentime they recieve compared to the rest of the Pokemon in the cast.

The Owner of Sea Weasels, the club for Buizel and Floatzel fans!
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
BBA_Beyblader_321
♥ the abbey boys

Nature: Sassy
Hm... See thats a tough one! I like both, but I honestly like Digimon better. Pokemon is seriously BA. But there's just something way more gripping in any digimon thing i've seen, read, or played. I like the idea of one good partner than a whole squad of annoyingness.
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
If we are going by the animes, then most definitely Digimon, and for many reasons: Each season is different, they have storylines, and they rarely recycle plotlines except for the whole "save the world" thing, but that's a universal concept.

True, anime wise, Digimon is definitely better, mainly because the Pokemon anime is the same thing over and over again, and it has gotten old and very boring to older fans of the franchise, and while I know it's a kids show, it just solely appeals to that audience and refuses to appeal to the older fans of the franchise. This is why a lot of people like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, because it has a lot of the things the Pokemon anime lacks. To an extent, the anime has put a pernament scar on the Pokemon franchise as a whole, in a similar manner to how Aquaman's potrayal in Superfriends put a pernament scar on him.

Yeah, I have no idea why Leomon always has to die, it's like they have the need to put a Leomon in the show, and then kill him off.

Agreed, while the Pokemon in the DP anime like Infernape and Buizel had distinguishable personalities that made them likeable characters, the Pokemon in Best Wishes are very one dimensional, and are basically soulless battling machines with barely any emotions, made only to battle other peoples Pokemon and nothing else, while the human characters get all the focus in character development (with the exception of Ash) while ignoring the very creatures that name the franchise, like they are just there in the background serving barely any to no purpose whatsoever other than to battle others, the only Pokemon that really even HAVE personallities are Axew and Oshawott, and both are considered to be "The Scrappy" of the BW season, especially given how much screentime they recieve compared to the rest of the Pokemon in the cast.
Pikachu and Snivy are the others that have personalities, Excadrill has a rough and macho personality, and that Axew has a cute personality.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:52 AM
eyah
Beginning Trainer

I like pokemon because it's more original and the characters in pokemon are cute than digimon.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
They are revealing a whole bunch of new Digimon for the Jintrix game in Japan. Go to Wikimon (which is an English wiki using Japanese terms, kinda confusing, though) to see for yourselves.
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
KenXEcker
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Relaxed
I'm going to have to say Pokemon. I loved digimon, but I think at the time it was "all the cool kids like Pokemon, or else" and I guess I'm stuck in that mentality xD
Twitter

<3Pokemon<3
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Trance and Moss

Nature: Modest
What digimon stuff was there besides the show? Were there any major digimon games released in north america?

Also, what about Monster Rancher?

Old November 24th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I love Digimon because every season is different, except for the "save the world".
Whereas every episode in Pokemon is: Pokemon got caught by Team Rocket. Team Rocket blasts off again. (IMO, thats the sad part) Only some episodes are Gym Battles (repetitive), rival battles, compeitions, contests and some featuring the regions badguys (Team Magma, Aqua, etc)
But there's one thing Digimon can't beat Pokemon, and that's the design of the Mon's (whatever you call it). Digimon's design of them are so repetitive.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

I prefer Digimon, I like the aesthetics more and the games have largely maintained a constant level of quality in my eyes. Pokemon's still cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance and Moss View Post
What digimon stuff was there besides the show? Were there any major digimon games released in north america?

Also, what about Monster Rancher?
There were 4 Digimon World games released on consoles with many on handhelds(even a spiritual successor going on the PSP), but the games have never really gained much popularity, partly due to Bamco's incompetence.

It's a shame, because I thought Digimon World 1 and 2 were both much better than any Pokemon game I've played.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM
ROBO-BOY
The Monkey Man

Nature: Brave
I myself am Pok'emon all the way. Anime is maybe a little lesser than Digimon, especially Spirit/Beast Spirit Evolution, but they make up for it in the games.
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Trance and Moss

Nature: Modest
Did digimon start as a game and become an anime after like pokemon?
which came first digimon, pokemon?

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Jubilation
lesbihonest

Digimon for sure. While I like Pokemon, even to this day, Digimon was always superior and I loved the anime and games much more than Pokemon.
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
ShadyVXKuriboh5

Digimon by anime standards but Pokemon when it comes to the games, however there are actually more Digimon than Pokemon, merchandise wise it's a tie, Pokemon having the tcg and plushs but Digimon having really fun Digivices and model kits!
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Digimon first came out as a V-Pet, like a fighting, masculine Tamagotchi.

Pokemon started out as a video game.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
That is a hard decision for me.
T_T

I agree with everyone else that Digimon is better anime/merchandise wise, but the Pokemon Games are much better than the Digimon ones.

I can go back and watch any Digimon series, but I can't rewatch Pokemon it makes my head hurt.

I suppose I'm just going to go with Digimon, then.
Old December 17th, 2011, 04:44 AM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Digimon anime is better than pokemon, but the pokeon games are better than digimon games.
Thats how i feel anyway

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old December 17th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Cirrus
dreaming a transient dream.

Nature: Mild
I actually disagree with Frontier being a great season. I mean it was a decent season, but Tamers is my all-time favourite, followed closely by Savers (though the original two season are very close behind as well). I haven't watched Xros Wars because I want to wait until the second season's conclusion, but it might be good (if the evolution mechanic isn't completely stupid).

Rambling about my favourite Digimon season aside, Digimon wins over Pokemon by a landslide. Sure, Pokemon has excellent games, but Digimon was my childhood. I didn't get into Pokemon nearly as much as I did Digimon (perhaps my country of residence had to do with this), and ... Digimon was just really inspirational as a series for me, while Pokemon remained simply an anime / game franchise that I had a mild preference for.

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

pair · in tempore momenti · personal vloid playlist
d.c. ii art assets belong to circus. text: tororo.
Old December 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely
I would have to choose Pokemon. I've been in the series since I was about 4 or 5, when I got my very first game - A brand new Pokemon Color with a nice Pokemon Yellow - both of which I still own (In good condition) and can still play if ever I feel the desire to. The anime, I'd only watch for the first generation. The games, definitely, but I do dislike generation 3. I used to watch Digimon a little bit, but nothing more. So my vote goes to Pokemon.
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Klinklang5
Bowties are Cool

Digimon is kind of fail because it's not as cool or well designed like Pokemon are, so pokemon is better hands down.
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Beginning Trainer

If It was me i choose pokemon and i know it is better than digimon because a pokemon is something that is sometimes less scarier than digimon......digimon have this all freaky stuff sometimes....
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinklang5 View Post
Digimon is kind of fail because it's not as cool or well designed like Pokemon are, so pokemon is better hands down.
Digimon designs go where those of Pokemon will NEVER go!

Just look at the Seven Great Demon Lords!
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Tachibana Azumi
★七色に光る女★

Anime-wise, I would say Digimon, because there's at least a variation to each plot. Variation in Pokemon... What's that?
though i would like to tell you that i did enjoy the sinnoh arc, but digimon frontier (my fave) is better in my opinion being that it's not ridden with fillers and didn't have that cheap of an ending (i'm looking glaring at you tobias)

Game-wise, while I did enjoy playing that game with the Frontier kids battling each other and finally Cherubimon (I forget what it was called ah it's called Digimon Battle Spirit 2), but Pokemon games are still the ones I grew up playing.

Since I play video games more than watching anime now, I would have to say Pokemon.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
drarixio
Charging up since '89

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimon Kaiser

Anime wise? Digimon, hands down. Pokemon is
getting kinda dull, even in BW.

My favorite season of Digimon at the
moment is probably Tamers, I watch it subbed on Hulu.

EDIT: Why does
Leomon always have to die?! Seriously.
Digimon, and I've only watched the first series and loved it more than 4 serieses on Pokemon. It's too repetitive.

Maybe some of the writers had an incident involving Leoman when they were kids and it traumatised them forever... O_o
I'm sleepy, good night.

Credit for avatar does to someone from here.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Onyxoasis
Queen of the Woobats

Nature: Relaxed
I've only played Digimon World Dawn/Dusk but, as far as I'm concerned I think they are both great in their own respects. I praise Digimon for its dazzling Digimon designs, that I find very attractive, buuuuttt... This is where I think Pokemon fails a bit. I honestly believe Pokemon has gotten a little lazy with the design in Pokemon white/black. The new generation Pokemon look well... a little... dull, maybe?

Now, If you want to go into the actual game-play, I like Pokemon (then again like I said, I haven't played too many Digimon games) I think the combat is smoother and much more enjoyable Digimon was a little repetitive.

But like I said, they both are pretty great :D

I told you bout the stares bro
I told you

IT KEEPS HAPENING! -Sweet bro and Hella Jeff
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here