The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
XEL
Lorem Ipsum

Honestly, it's very subjective. There are people like my dad who will never be happy without money. Then there are those who are satisfied with a solid living. and Then you have those like Tibetan Buddhists who minimize what they need in search of eternal happiness.

Personally, I'd want that modest, solid living. I want to have peace of mind but still remain humble.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
Alley Cat
Advanced Trainer

I think it depends on where you are. For someone who doesn't have very much money, suddenly coming into a large sum of money would make them quite happy. They could get all the things they so desperately want/need. A car, a house.... and they would be happy. Those who already have money and are unhappy due to something, well obviously money won't solve their problems.

I know very well that money would make me and my family very happy. We would finally be able to rise above this dreaded poverty line and not live in such anguish. We're all miserable with our current state of affairs, and most of our "plans" have money involved. So it isn't so much as having money, but being able to get what you need with it that creates the happiness.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Lalapizzame
VIOLETTA!

Nature: Careful
Money purchases goods required for subsistence. I cannot be happy if I cannot perform basic life functions so I may spend my idle time procuring pleasure.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
cr4y
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
To be certain, money can't buy happiness. But with money, we can buy things that can make us happy, although these specific things aren't permanent which can be taken away from us, but with happiness from a person, that can't truly be bought with money, referring to experiences and memories.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:59 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Although I am money-faced, I feel that Money does not buy happiness. If it wouldn't for the modern day society, with that mindset of "No Money, No Talk" and elitism. I wouldn't mind being a toilet cleaner. Money just gives you luxury as everything in the world now needs money. If you asked me what my money is used for? I would say that I only need money to buy food, that's all. All of my other money would be saved, or probably at my local games shop.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
xelarator
Gentlemen.

Nature: Quiet
Im pretty sure money buys happiness. You dont see homeless people skipping happily on a sidewalk, do you?
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
I think what is meant by this old cliche is that the things in life that will grant you lasting happiness - love, friendships, people etc - can't be purchased with money. Granted, this is probably true. What it has turned into, however, is people saying "Money will not make you happy" and that is not true. At all.

This has become accompanied by other common attitudes - the primary one I can think of being that money corrupts people - and has made it so that having money is almost stigmatised in society. It's a recognised part of society that the rich are hated for being rich. That's why I don't believe in the phrase "money doesn't buy happiness". It's become a way for people to console themselves about not having as much money as they'd like to have.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.

Last edited by Katholic Nun; November 7th, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:55 AM
LatiasSoulDew

I don't agree with money can't buy happiness.
With money I can make my family live a good life, send my children to study in good school. How could I not be happy with that?

It's just not all happiness can be bought by money, for example: true love.
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Yoshikkko

It definitely depends on who you are, but in general, money can maybe buy you things which make you happy, but it can't buy you actual happiness in the end.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
The Noob Hacker
Praise the sun.

Nature: Calm
Can money buy happiness? Yes.

Can money buy all happinesses? Well, that would depend if things such as true love make you happy, but for the common person, no.

Money can buy the means to happiness, but what would really determine the happiness is your experience with what you have. For example: If you buy a video game, and you enjoyed it, then the money bought you something which gave you happiness, therefore, money essentially bought you happiness. The only merit to the saying is that money can't buy all things that make you happy.
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
If you are going to ask me, I believe in the joke once said that:

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure more comfortable to cry in a limousine.

It cannot really buy happiness. However, it can buy causes of temporary enjoyment, like vehicles, luxury items, technology. And for the people in our society nowadays, temporary happiness= lifetime happiness.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Farelsien
A Level 18 Human

I'd say the extremely wealthy person probably overall has more happiness than the person who has to live paycheck to paycheck, so in that sense, yeah, being financially well off does help in having a happy life.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Centiflora X
Thread Killer

Wait, is happiness everyone's top priority? What is happiness? Do we really need happiness? And if so, why? Would someone die physically without it? If happiness is so important, surely someone must have figured out how to easily be happy without money all the time already and teach it as part of some kind of school curriculum or something.
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
Being happy is something related to the person personality...i believe yes,money won't ever buy happiness....for exampel,you prefer if you're lost and isolated in a far away island and you have lots and lots of gold...or have not bad credit while being around friends and family...

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:04 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centiflora X View Post
Wait, is happiness everyone's top priority? What is happiness? Do we really need happiness? And if so, why? Would someone die physically without it? If happiness is so important, surely someone must have figured out how to easily be happy without money all the time already and teach it as part of some kind of school curriculum or something.
What would be everyone's top priority, if not the pursuit of happiness? The fact that something isn't a physical requirement for survival doesn't make it unimportant to life. Happiness is what changes an existence into a life.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Gold warehouse
peanut butter cake lover

Money can't buy happiness, but lack of money can make one unhappy. As long as you have enough to survive and entertain yourself (simple pleasures, not the dick that needs 3 holidays a year) then it shouldn't really be necessary. Of course some people's personalities clash with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure more comfortable to cry in a limousine.
hahaha I love this
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:09 AM
eyah
Beginning Trainer

By the numbers, Drs. Angus Deaton and Daniel Kahneman of Princeton University think they know the answer to the question of what happiness is. Particularly, the physician duo investigated replies to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index (GHWBI) questionnaire. They found that United States homes with a normal salary of at least $75,000 scored highest for emotional well-being. Source for this article: People are happiest at $75,000 per year, says study

These people might be experts on their profession but I guess we are more expert on what we really feel. Happiness is a deep meaning and you can never bought it on store.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
BBA_Beyblader_321
♥ the abbey boys

Nature: Sassy
Money can't buy happiness, but it can certainly obtain the things necessary to get it!
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
lacella
monsters & macarons.

Send a message via AIM to lacella Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to lacella
sure it can!

say you were a starving child in calcutta and angelina jolie adopted you... you'd be pretty stoked once you got over being half dead (:

or think about how great it feels when you've bought your mom something she's always wanted, or if you could finally afford to go on a honeymoon with your prince charming.

but if you're talking about constantly being in a state of high energy and optimism, CONSTANTLY being in that state, then no. it buys happiness with expiry dates. just the way life goes.

|| tumblr || writing || cute || trouble ||
thank you luke for italicizing my name! xx

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Trance and Moss

Happiness is an emotion, and money cannot directly buy an emotion.

However, money can be used to buy objects which may cause a person to feel the emotion of happiness.

Old November 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I just know that if I had lots of money, I'd be much happier than I am now. A lack of money cannot possibly lead to happiness.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
AlphaMightyena
A Mightyena Fapper

Nature: Brave
Maybe, maybe not.

If you are a selfish person who wants to control everything in the world, then money will buy you happiness.

If I had more money I would be more happy then I am right now.

Old December 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Money doesn't buy happiness. No amount of money will bring back lost relatives, or get rid of your relative's illnesses. It's fleeting and temporary.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Rambagos
Mime Jr.

I won't accept if money can buy a happiness. We need money for our life. We are luck for having a lot of money since peoples in outside there doesn't luck like us. If we got a lot of money, I recommended to giving it to peoples who really need it. It make a peoples who receive it feel happy. Not only that, you should be happy too because you have just share a happiness right? :D
Share money=happiness
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM
shenanigans
GONE DANCIN'

Please don't revive old threads guys.

-closed

Sponsored Links