The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Well there really aren't that many commands in the ARM7/thumb codeset, so simply writing it from scratch isn't super difficult anyway. And through past experience, reading through some code (that does something similar to what you want) to find a tiny part and then editing it, is a lot more difficult than just doing something yourself. And as you said, it wouldn't even end up disassembling all the code anyway.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
New topic for discussion:

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
Waiting for your answers on this.
I'd write a program that can modify music that doesn't use the M4A engine (The games that Sappy are compatible with) so that more games can have music hacked. It'd open up the world of Super Mario Advance music hacking.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:49 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Well there really aren't that many commands in the ARM7/thumb codeset, so simply writing it from scratch isn't super difficult anyway. And through past experience, reading through some code (that does something similar to what you want) to find a tiny part and then editing it, is a lot more difficult than just doing something yourself. And as you said, it wouldn't even end up disassembling all the code anyway.
Actually I was referring to SHARP z80 (even though that's not a big difference, for the topic itself).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
And through past experience, reading through some code (that does something similar to what you want) to find a tiny part and then editing it, is a lot more difficult than just doing something yourself. And as you said, it wouldn't even end up disassembling all the code anyway.
I have to disagree: if the code is well written, it's pretty easy to find where is the part one's interested in (I gave a look at Gambatte's source, and finding the part I need to edit was pretty fast). Adding a tracing/logging funtion shouldn't take too much time.

Anyway what I really meant was not a program that simply dumps the code in "mnemonics" (BGB and a Pokeanalysis ".c/.h" module do it as well). I was thinking of a program that can actually label every address the code refers to (routines' beginnings, jumps' offsets, and so on), and can format data as "Define Byte", "Define Word" (or in structured macros, but that would be too much, probably), if you get what I mean.

Because, the problem with disassembling code "by hand" is not the difficulty of finding where the stuff is located or figuring out how it works (by the way, I find it the most entertaining part); the problem is instead arranging it in the format that the assembler needs in order to assemble it correctly.

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post
Actually I was referring to SHARP z80 (even though that's not a big difference, for the topic itself).

I have to disagree: if the code is well written, it's pretty easy to find where is the part one's interested in (I gave a look at Gambatte's source, and finding the part I need to edit was pretty fast). Adding a tracing/logging funtion shouldn't take too much time.

Anyway what I really meant was not a program that simply dumps the code in "mnemonics" (BGB and a Pokeanalysis ".c/.h" module do it as well). I was thinking of a program that can actually label every address the code refers to (routines' beginnings, jumps' offsets, and so on), and can format data as "Define Byte", "Define Word" (or in structured macros, but that would be too much, probably), if you get what I mean.

Because, the problem with disassembling code "by hand" is not the difficulty of finding where the stuff is located or figuring out how it works (by the way, I find it the most entertaining part); the problem is instead arranging it in the format that the assembler needs in order to assemble it correctly.
Of course, it would be impossible to get things perfect. But here are some ideas:
  • Nothing has to be disassembled in order; precede each line with its address so you can sort it later. (Better idea: precede it with address × 2. Then you can precede labels with address × 2 − 1.
  • Keep around a boolean true/false for each value in memory, so you don’t get in an infinite loop.
  • Here’s an example of properly labeling things: when you encounter loads to a and hl, put them in a queue before printing them out. If they’re followed by a call to $35CD, replace the constants with the appropriate labels and BANK() macros, then flush the queue.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMarckus View Post
Of course, it would be impossible to get things perfect. But here are some ideas:
  • Nothing has to be disassembled in order; precede each line with its address so you can sort it later. (Better idea: precede it with address × 2. Then you can precede labels with address × 2 − 1.
  • Keep around a boolean true/false for each value in memory, so you don’t get in an infinite loop.
  • Here’s an example of properly labeling things: when you encounter loads to a and hl, put them in a queue before printing them out. If they’re followed by a call to $35CD, replace the constants with the appropriate labels and BANK() macros, then flush the queue.
These are some enlightening advices, thank you. I'll try to follow them when I'll get around starting that project.
I'm not sure I understood right the thing about putting [address x 2], though. Could you clarify it a bit?

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:00 AM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post
These are some enlightening advices, thank you. I'll try to follow them when I'll get around starting that project.
I'm not sure I understood right the thing about putting [address x 2], though. Could you clarify it a bit?
It is just there for sorting purposes.

Say you have a line of code like this:
Code:
ld a,1
nop
ld hl,$1234
jr z,−5
If you’re partially or fully emulating the processor, you probably won’t be diassembling from beginning to end, but rather following jumps, so you need some way to sort the text file later. One way is to prefix each instruction with its address, then sort the file after you’re done disassembling (e.g., by running it through the Unix program “sort -u”).
Code:
10000 ld a,1
10001 nop
10002 ld hl,$1234
10003 jr z,−5
But if you do that, you won’t see that the load to hl needs a label beforehand. So you could double the number you prefix with, and subtract 1 to force labels to appear in the right location.
Code:
20000 ld a,1
20002 nop
20004 ld hl,$1234
20006 jr z,addr00_2712
20003 addr00_2712:
Now this can be sorted and things will appear in the right places.

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

A-ha! That's all clear now, thanks again. This might be a good opportunity to get more confident with C (so I can also learn how to fix the flaws RGBDS has; and you know what I'm talking about!).

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
ThaReaper01
I'm on my way...

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
I believe that there is a thread over in Research & Development regarding doing exactly that. In fact, I think a patch was released that implements that feature in Fire Red.
Cheers for that. I looked there, but didn't find any downloads. Just a discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
I'm sure there was a physical/special split for GBA games in the Research and Development threads. Search there, but it does have... Issues.
I looked but couldn't find anything.

Last edited by ThaReaper01; September 9th, 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaReaper01 View Post
I looked but couldn't find anything.
Right, I have a free few minutes...

Oh well would you look at this! The first thing in Research and Development, and it has a patch apparently! Seriously, it is the top thing in the R&D section, so your search wasn't very thorough.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=234550

Read the entire thread, the first patch isn't necessarily what you may want, but a user called Windslash made a patch of what you want. Still in development though.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
So, in continuation to the topic I started, here's my own response:

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
If I could, I would create a new tile/titlescreen editing & inserting program. More easy, handy to use and with various bookmarks from the ROMs. All the old ones are either not working or are outdated in some way (afaik)..
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
New topic for discussion:

Waiting for your answers on this.
If I could I would write a program that downloaded all the programs I needed to ROM hack and organized them in a simple GUI.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
New topic for you then:

What do you people find good to be a small project? Looking at the sideshow showcase for a while, I gained the opinion that most projects there are too expected. Still, I also think that people do not take these projects as seriously as they should. Not only the viewers, but the creators, too.

Morevoer, is it correct to assume that a pipedown happened in ROM Hacking-generically speaking-since last winter? (that's when I became less and less active)

Do you think it'll last or would you have a prediction about a change? (for example, something new on the DS hacking environmet)
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Nice to be back.

Has anyone heard of the German Debug Pokemon Ruby being dumped? I really want to look at it.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM
lord_hardware
Lord Hardware

I hadn't seen it, but what exactly would the debug rom open up? (besides easier way of tracking down inbuilt flags and integers?)
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_hardware View Post
I hadn't seen it, but what exactly would the debug rom open up? (besides easier way of tracking down inbuilt flags and integers?)
It does everything.

You can simulate battles, create your own Pokemon (Like a built-in Pokesav) and lots more. There are even music test menus, force HM uses, disable wild encounters, and more. Even graphic viewing menus.

This makes me wonder if there are beta maps in it or some unused content? Hm...

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Last edited by Team Fail; October 25th, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Nice to be back.

Has anyone heard of the German Debug Pokemon Ruby being dumped? I really want to look at it.
Then look at it; it has been dumped and is publicly available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
This makes me wonder if there are beta maps in it or some unused content? Hm...
I have heard that it is basically the final version.

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMarckus View Post
Then look at it; it has been dumped and is publicly available.
I was on a school computer at the time I wrote that. I should have mentioned that. :x
Quote:
I have heard that it is basically the final version.
It's quite close actually. I don't know of any script changes though as I don't know German or own a German copy. I'd hope that soon an English copy (AVXE) is released. But I have one issue with it- I can't flash it to my EZ Flash 3-in-1. If I do, the game whitescreens upon boot. I'd like to know why as I'd like to try linking with a final copy and see what things it can do (like the simulation of the eReader Cards) with a second Gameboy Advance or GBA SP.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Last edited by Team Fail; October 26th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

I've been searching the forums for sometime and still haven't found an answer.

Has any1 managed to edit the number of PCs and Flying position in FR?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
ShadowGrey
Graphix Master

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

Advanced Trainer by HackMew?
You my friend, are an absolute legend.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM
cbd98
A bouquet of oopsie dasies

Nature: Relaxed
I got a great idea while playing Ruby today, but I'd love other people's opinions. Basically, you get your own gym after the Elite 4, and you can go to it whenever you want. I would be set up kind of with the Battle Tower system of 7 battles and then some reward, like BP. You could also customize the style of your gym and place in special items. So, whaddya think?

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. -Karen

We are all books because we have spines and stories to tell.

Ground Monotype for the Ultimate Pokecommunity League
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
movieguy12
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Are you able to rom hack and edit Pokemon pearl platinum diamond soul silver heart gold fire red leaf green and add the new black an white Pokemon into the games? By editing and Rom hacking? Thanks :).
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
PokeRaidenFighter350Z
Battle Subway Editor

Nature: Careful
I started to edit Pokemon Platinum and Soulsilver. (Trainers and Pokemon) It's not easy to do but it's alot of fun because I can be creative. I like modifying them to make them more hard and fun.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
movieguy12
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRaidenFighter350Z View Post
I started to edit Pokemon Platinum and Soulsilver. (Trainers and Pokemon) It's not easy to do but it's alot of fun because I can be creative. I like modifying them to make them more hard and fun.
^ are you able to add univa region Pokemon to hacked edited roms?
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:05 PM
PokeRaidenFighter350Z
Battle Subway Editor

Nature: Careful
no, i'm not able to do so, i don't how to do that type of hacking but it'll be awesome doing that
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ray F
' Friendship > Chuck Norris

I check pretty much every hack I can on the board. And I have to say.
Why people don't go crazy with the story?

Pretty much they take the "young man, adventure, 8 badges, champion" thingy and just change a couple things from there, switch up the style, region, names, minigames. But pretty much it's the same essence of Pokemon.

How about not do the 8 badges?, have a completely new mission?.
A hack about just going to contests and not gyms (Just giving a random example). Having diversity between hackroms.

I just think the majority of people want to do a hack that has everything in it and it's the same ol' Pokemon with a couple of changes, but the same essence... and that's just not that interesting, because they are all in the same lane, some diversity will be nice.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I know just a couple things about hacking so maybe asking for really drastic changes is not doable.

Disclaimer: English is not my native language.
I'd appreciate any corrections on my grammar. (;

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here