Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 7th, 2011 (06:24 AM).
Mynewusernameiskuzronkjustlookthatup

I been getting hurt at school the last few weeks mostly
Old December 7th, 2011 (07:01 AM).
jpp8
Producer

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Volcanix769:
Acting tough to my opinion doesn't help. Plus, for me, it's not easy defeating a bully at the internet. If you tend to be tough to me for no reason, why?
If you don't accept the advice of others and keep trying to do things your own way, things are just going to stay as they are. It's one thing to be a victim of bullying because of a mental disorder (as in people are bullying you for it explicitly and no more), but using that mental disorder as a "get out of bullying free" card or to try and garner pity from others is not cool. Bullies react to the way you respond. If you respond to them in a way that is favorable to them, such as being visibly upset, they will continue to do so because they know that they can get that reaction out of you. Since this IS the internet, you can very well choose to ignore the bullying or simply contact people in higher positions because they are there to help YOU if you feel that you are in a position where you can no longer enjoy the services of the site due to the actions of others. Don't think that there aren't people that will help you; if you feel a situation online is truly escalating to a point where you can't take it anymore, don't whine about it on some other forum, contact officials on the site where you are being bullied and they will work with you to resolve your problem.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:20 AM). Edited December 8th, 2011 by Volcanix769.
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by c l e a r:
Cry more. You want to know how I deal with idiots on the internet? I use the ignore/block function.

and that's it, if you can't even do that, then you are not that smart. About all the forums out there got tons of people with aspergers, so don't start thinking that you are "special" and wanting a pity party; It does not work that way.

It's not acting tough; it is being tough. What you are doing is escaping from reality, and want some attention. One must confront their problems, and crush it to dust in order to move on. Change, and quit playing your pool of self-pity.
I'm not trying to be special, plus you know that I have a hard time coping with problems like this, and that I have a life. I do have friends, I don't be here 24/7.

Quote originally posted by jpp8:
If you don't accept the advice of others and keep trying to do things your own way, things are just going to stay as they are. It's one thing to be a victim of bullying because of a mental disorder (as in people are bullying you for it explicitly and no more), but using that mental disorder as a "get out of bullying free" card or to try and garner pity from others is not cool. Bullies react to the way you respond. If you respond to them in a way that is favorable to them, such as being visibly upset, they will continue to do so because they know that they can get that reaction out of you. Since this IS the internet, you can very well choose to ignore the bullying or simply contact people in higher positions because they are there to help YOU if you feel that you are in a position where you can no longer enjoy the services of the site due to the actions of others. Don't think that there aren't people that will help you; if you feel a situation online is truly escalating to a point where you can't take it anymore, don't whine about it on some other forum, contact officials on the site where you are being bullied and they will work with you to resolve your problem.
Yeah, that could work.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:50 AM).
Lozz
meow meow meow <3
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I know it probably sounds like a cop out response... but bullies seriously aren't worth your time or energy. I know it's super easy to let things they say affect you, but generally, if people seriously have to stoop low enough to verbally or physically attack you - they're generally trying to compensate for something. Or they're just jealous of you. Obviously if someone is physically beating you up, you can't really move past that with thought alone, but bullies have the most power over you when you build them up and give them importance. Next time some douchebag thinks they have the right to have a go at you, remind yourself that they're probably fat, sterile, and about 47 years old. If that doesn't work... tell them they have Chlamydia and then block them!

FYI - my favourite TV character has aspergers... and if they were an actual real person, I would totally marry them. Probs an irrelevant fact, but just thought I'd share.
Old December 8th, 2011 (06:03 AM).
StarlightSerenity
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Someone tried to bully me when I was 6 or 7. I smacked him over the head with my plastic lunchbox as soon as I had had enough - he never came near me again.

Someone was bulling my friend at school, I told her to stop, she didnt. I kneed her in the face and got thanked by her dad for it - she became a much nicer person after realising she couldnt treat people the way she was doing.

I hate bullying, I hate bullies. There is absolutely no need to treat people in such a manner and I think people who are victims and witnesses of bullying need to stand up to them. Always worked for me. I do think that a lot of bullies do have their own issues and of course they should be helped to resolve them but being abused or whatever doesn't give them the right to treat others like trash.
Old December 8th, 2011 (07:27 AM).
Throat
Oldschool pokemon

Nature: Bold
When peace isn't an option, violence is the only way! Well, just kidding. See, buddy, tell the responsibles for your school about the bullying or your parents, I know it's embarrassing, but in no time everyone will forget about it and you'll have a decent life.
And you'll see the sickly hands of time
Will write your final rhyme
And end a memory
Old December 8th, 2011 (08:39 AM).
Throat
Oldschool pokemon

Yes, you are thinking that you are special. Don't even try and deny it. If you think that what I said offends you, you really have no bloody idea on seeing where people are hostile towards you or not.

Sit down and grow a set, not everything is fair. Quit thinking that people will do things for you, you are not that important; I'm not that important, if I went out there and died today, no one will care, I would have been just another statistic, just another footnote. So, honestly, who really cares about your little problem? Not you apparently, if I was in your position, I would have done something about it already instead of sitting here with you in this pity party.

You are Naive, and insecure even about your belonging. If you are thinking that's harassment, wait till you see what can somebody else do. Anyways, I am done talking here, sitting here talking to you in your self-pity is not exactly good for anyone.

I hope it goes out well for ya.
Aww, man, don't take it too hard on the boy. You're mostly right, though.
And end a memory
Old December 8th, 2011 (09:01 AM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
I'm going to make my self very clear. Cut the tough guy act with Volcanix here, there are extenuating circumstances of which you are unaware and which render your criticism irrelevant. Play nicely and keep posting.

HOUSE STARK
BS | D&D | PM | VM
Old December 8th, 2011 (01:39 PM).
c l e a r
Transparent Darkness

Quote originally posted by Live_Wire466:
I'm going to make my self very clear. Cut the tough guy act with Volcanix here, there are extenuating circumstances of which you are unaware and which render your criticism irrelevant. Play nicely and keep posting.
I had been in this guy's position time and time again in the past, I have been bullied on the net, and have it to even turn into physical. Those people's actions has caused me emotional turmoil and the safety of my family. I was 14 when this all happened, so don't go and tell me that I "don't know how it feels". I was diagnosed with aspergers, I have been where he is standing before, so don't tell me that I don't know how he (at least a bit) feels.

He is not the only one with problems here, yet to me, he seems to make it a big deal that it revolves around him and him alone. He's not asking for solutions; to me, it would seem that he is asking for us to give him your pity. That is wrong, and it does not help anyone.

The point I was trying to make is for him to move on, I understand that it is a hard thing to do; as people with aspergers tend to get trapped with personal issues, to the point that it paralyzes their daily life routines. But it NEEDS to happen, there is no way to live normally while carrying all these unnecessary baggage.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:08 PM).
Controversial?
should probably stop now

Nature: Naughty
I've never been properly bullied tbh, but I was once "kicked off" SPPF because of everyone's mutual disrespect which would've led to bullying.
I did kinda deserve it, though.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:32 PM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote originally posted by c l e a r;:
stuff
I don't recall you having the right to talk like that, to volcanix or myself. Cool off.

HOUSE STARK
BS | D&D | PM | VM
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:52 PM).
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
@Volcanix769: Though c l e a r might be harsh, I'm afraid he's right. (well mostly)

I don't have aspergers or anything else, so I can't really say anything about that. But you shouldn't be scared of others. EVER.

I've been bullied before too. I was too scared of saying anything back because I was afraid they were going to beat me up. When I did open my mouth though, I realized they were nothing but all talk.

As others said before: don't pay too much attention to other people, especially not online. You don't have to act tough, but you shouldn't care about the things people say to you. Bullies will only pick on you because they think the way you respond is "funny". Don't ever give them that response. Just tell them that you don't give a bleep about what they are saying/thinking.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:56 PM).
JalordaSerpent
Run, you clever boy...
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I'm kinda used to bullying at my school and on the internet. I'm one of those 'loser' kids.
Old December 8th, 2011 (03:59 PM).
Hikamaru
and a day ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Aspergers?

I have some form of Autism, don't know if it's Aspergers.

Yeah, I get bullied big-time!
Old December 9th, 2011 (05:13 AM).
Throat
Oldschool pokemon

No idea why they bully people suffering from Asperger's, it seems so natural. Anyway, aww, man... PC must be the online community with highest number of people feeling pity toward themselves. See, I'm not trying to be harsh, but they only pick on you if you allow them to and, when you get older than 15, you usually realize that and should have an attitude about it. Anyway, I'm not judging anyone, god only knows how the life of everyone here is.
And end a memory
Old December 9th, 2011 (09:32 AM).
c l e a r
Transparent Darkness

Quote originally posted by Throat:
No idea why they bully people suffering from Asperger's, it seems so natural. Anyway, aww, man... PC must be the online community with highest number of people feeling pity toward themselves. See, I'm not trying to be harsh, but they only pick on you if you allow them to and, when you get older than 15, you usually realize that and should have an attitude about it. Anyway, I'm not judging anyone, god only knows how the life of everyone here is.
No, no, seems to be pretty common elsewhere too. If you start a thread in a forum in other places on "Who has been diagnosed with Aspergers?" You can expect a decent amount of replies.

From where I am standing from my rather shallow perspective. Bullys bully other people because they can do it; others sit by watching idly because of bystander effect; and teachers or law enforcers in general don't care because the rules and the law, respectively, don't intervene until someone on one side has been hurt.

You know, you're right. About the time when I reached 16, I finally said to myself. "**** it, screw them, and screw anyone else that stood by and watch me suffer." and you know? It worked. I learned to channel my hate correctly towards people I despise. I only wished I had done it sooner, I may be full of bitterness and angst, but then I have learned to see things.

Just remember though - No matter what kind of **** you have been through; someone else has had it worse than you.
Old December 10th, 2011 (12:48 PM).
Controversial?
should probably stop now

Nature: Naughty
Pfft, I have Asperger's and no-one's bullied me about it, in fact usually people are cool with it because I don't tell people unless they properly know me.
Old December 10th, 2011 (06:13 PM). Edited July 12th, 2013 by Phantom.
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I have Aspergers. Aspergers is a high functioning autism. Every case is different; if you don't know go google it. I was diagnosed around 15 because my parents didn't think anything was wrong and that I was just awkward. Though doctors speculated long before that.

I am often embarassed of it and normally don't tell anyone openly.

So here are a few things about me, I am obsessed with Doctor Who and religion. I have few friends, and I find it better to communicate over text than with words. My Aspergers has officially prevented me from joining the USAF, as well as any career in law enforcement.I have learned to act my way through most social situations. Sometimes I snap my fingers or recite poetry (usually Shakespeare) without thinking it. This is called 'stimming'. I hate when my schedule is messed up, and I must have everything planned accordingly. I have a photographic memory. I have a very high IQ.

I was teased, but it wasn't because I had Aspergers. Mainly because I didn't go telling everyone I knew, unless it was relevant of course. I didn't start telling people until recently that I had it. It was just part of my life that I just dealt with and didn't really care. Aspergers isn't an excuse and never should be. Saying 'I don't have friends because I am an aspie' isn't a 'get out of jail free card' for life. And sorry but it sounds like you're using it that way.

I was bullied because I simply was one of the kids who did get bullied. Simple as that. And it wasn't until I stood up for myself that they stopped. I ignored them, made my own friends, and went on with my life.

In short, aspies should never define who you are. You are who you make yourself to be. And if you're teased, maybe it's because you're giving them fuel for the fire by telling them you're on the spectrum.
Old December 10th, 2011 (09:23 PM).
c l e a r
Transparent Darkness

Quote originally posted by PhantomX0990:
So here are a few things about me, I am obsessed with Doctor Who and religion. I have few friends, and I find it better to communicate over text than with words. My Aspergers has officially prevented me from joining the USAF, as well as any career in law enforcement.I have learned to act my way through most social situations. Sometimes I snap my fingers or recite poetry (usually Shakespeare) without thinking it. This is called 'stimming'. I hate when my schedule is messed up, and I must have everything planned accordingly. I have a photographic memory. I have a very high IQ.
Hey, bro, this last bit here... Is your photography memory like... you glace at it once and you remember it, or you have to read and the the time absorb it, like I do? I can grasp the ideas behind anything I read, and can recite the exact quotes. However, I don't remember unimportant bits, such what page number is it on, or how many birds flew past at this exact time...

See, this is always made me wonder, since although I have very good memory, I always seems to remember it, that is if it catches my attention. If you don't mind, can you tell me if you had these as well at a young age?

Thing is, I have had these kind of memorization skills since I was able to read, and had photographic memory on "events" that caught my attention; however, the interesting part is that I wasn't diagnosed until 16, which is like... way before I have a grasp of my being in the world. This truly, truly, baffles me.

Quote:
I was teased, but it wasn't because I had Aspergers. Mainly because I didn't go telling everyone I knew, unless it was relevant of course. I didn't start telling people until recently that I had it. It was just part of my life that I just dealt with and didn't really care. Aspergers isn't an excuse and never should be. Saying 'I don't have friends because I am an aspie' isn't a 'get out of jail free card' for life. And sorry but it sounds like you're using it that way.

I was bullied because I simply was one of the kids who did get bullied. Simple as that. And it wasn't until I stood up for myself that they stopped. I ignored them, made my own friends, and went on with my life.
Bolded part for truth, you'll have to pave your own future, things does not get better if you sit there, whine about it and expecting results. Aspergers should not control your life, ever. I stole that trick long time ago, and it really annoyed my friends until one of them snapped, and gave me a tongue lashing like I did you. So please, I, and all people here, that has the same experience as you, meant you well, and I hope you do your best. Since at the end of it, no one really matters, except for your well-being.
Old December 11th, 2011 (01:44 AM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Hey, bro, this last bit here... Is your photography memory like... you glace at it once and you remember it, or you have to read and the the time absorb it, like I do? I can grasp the ideas behind anything I read, and can recite the exact quotes. However, I don't remember unimportant bits, such what page number is it on, or how many birds flew past at this exact time...

See, this is always made me wonder, since although I have very good memory, I always seems to remember it, that is if it catches my attention. If you don't mind, can you tell me if you had these as well at a young age?

Thing is, I have had these kind of memorization skills since I was able to read, and had photographic memory on "events" that caught my attention; however, the interesting part is that I wasn't diagnosed until 16, which is like... way before I have a grasp of my being in the world. This truly, truly, baffles me.
honestly it depends on the day. Sometimes I can recall something perfectly... others I can tell you how many birds and completely miss the elephant.... if that makes sense

Like that poetry, I can recite a sonnet in about 2-3 minutes after reading it for the first time.
Old December 15th, 2011 (01:57 AM).
SomariFeyWright
Seven years is all it takes...

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to SomariFeyWright
Bullying. My god. The experiences I can tell...

From the internet, to school, to out of school, bullying is SOOOOO common for me. I consider it a normal occurence for crying out loud!

For a freaky, no-life, anti-romance 14-year old like me, bullying isn't that much of a problem, but I know that despite the unspeakable things I've been called, plenty of people have gone through much worse than I have, so I agree that it MUST be stopped!

... If only doing so was even possible...
Old December 15th, 2011 (03:25 AM).
Dakotah
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by SomariFeyWright:
Bullying. My god. The experiences I can tell...

From the internet, to school, to out of school, bullying is SOOOOO common for me. I consider it a normal occurence for crying out loud!

For a freaky, no-life, anti-romance 14-year old like me, bullying isn't that much of a problem, but I know that despite the unspeakable things I've been called, plenty of people have gone through much worse than I have, so I agree that it MUST be stopped!

... If only doing so was even possible...
It is possible, if only the right policies are put into place. Education is a huge key to solving the problem. I'll give you an example.

In the U.K., there are large instances of bullying by students and teaches because of another's perceived or actual sexual orientation. One teacher was even quoted as telling a student that if he didn't wish to be picked on that he should "act less gay." But in one north London school, they have implemented a very effective education program that teaches students about gay history. With the implementation of this course, the school has almost entirely cut homophobic bullying in its classrooms and playgrounds.

So yes, it is possible to tackle bullying and do it in an effective manner. What's needed is the courage and will by school administrators to enact programs that tackles the cause of bullying behaviour.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old December 15th, 2011 (12:33 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:

It is possible, if only the right policies are put into place. Education is a huge key to solving the problem. I'll give you an example.

In the U.K., there are large instances of bullying by students and teaches because of another's perceived or actual sexual orientation. One teacher was even quoted as telling a student that if he didn't wish to be picked on that he should "act less gay." But in one north London school, they have implemented a very effective education program that teaches students about gay history. With the implementation of this course, the school has almost entirely cut homophobic bullying in its classrooms and playgrounds.

So yes, it is possible to tackle bullying and do it in an effective manner. What's needed is the courage and will by school administrators to enact programs that tackles the cause of bullying behaviour.
I could get down with that approach if the rights of parents are respected in the process.
Old December 15th, 2011 (01:43 PM).
Dakotah
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by FreakyLocz14:
I could get down with that approach if the rights of parents are respected in the process.
When it comes to combating bullying, the rights of the parents come secondary to the safety of the students.

I do find it interesting that some people would object to learning about gay history, as though they think the very mentioning of the word "gay" would turn their children into flaming queens. The fact of the matter is, through education we can help dispel misconceptions about different groups of people and promote understanding. The same type of education programs were introduced to combat antisemitism and racism only a few short decades ago.

Learning about gay history will do nothing to alter anyone's beliefs, but it will allow people to see gays and lesbians in a different light, and just maybe it will foster respect on both sides.

The only ones who would object are those whose prejudices run so deep, that in their eyes, any mentioning of gays and lesbians in a positive light would be deemed a threat to their world-view.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old December 15th, 2011 (01:46 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:

When it comes to combating bullying, the rights of the parents come secondary to the safety of the students.

I do find it interesting that some people would object to learning about gay history, as though they think the very mentioning of the word "gay" would turn their children into flaming queens. The fact of the matter is, through education we can help dispel misconceptions about different groups of people and promote understanding. The same type of education programs were introduced to combat antisemitism and racism only a few short decades ago.

Learning about gay history will do nothing to alter anyone's beliefs, but it will allow people to see gays and lesbians in a different light, and just maybe it will foster respect on both sides.

The only ones who would object are those whose prejudices run so deep, that in their eyes, any mentioning of gays and lesbians in a positive light would be deemed a threat to their world-view.
I disagree. Parents rights are very important and must be respected in every educational decision that is made.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links