The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
treeckopa
Beginning Trainer

Can this method work on Hidden Power, so that Hidden Power is always Special no matter which type it is?
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
JJames19119
Beginning Trainer

I believe so, since it no longer checks the type but the move in specific for what classification it uses.
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Leafbarrett

Ohai thar. Lookie what I got.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztqiczuu654osep
Physical/special split for Emerald, complete with move changes. Please ignore the changed Ralts family sprites, as I was silly and forgot to use a completely fresh ROM for the edits, ahurrhurr.
EDIT: Oh ffs. Special attacks work fine, but physical attacks are counted as status attacks, and do pathetic damage. I know I set physical attacks to 00 like I was supposed to... Didn't someone else have this problem?
EDIT2: I patched the engine by itself (as in, not my changed one) into a perfectly fresh rom (meaning all attacks are considered physical, or should be) and everything does absolutely pathetic damage. I think it's an issue with the patch. And of course, neither of the people who would know what's going on- JJames or Darthatron- are anywhere to be found, because it'd be helpful if they could be contacted, therefore it can't happen.

Last edited by Leafbarrett; October 25th, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
I should announce that the move editor in the new version of PGE has support for the class split. You can select whether you want the move to be special or physical.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
JJames19119
Beginning Trainer

Yeah, there is a weird glitch with Darthathon's patch. I can't explain it honestly. The split works properly for what I believe are moves with no effect? But any moves that DO have an effect and are physical all do utterly low damage. I can't say for sure since I've gotten moves with no effect still doing no damage. This only bothers physical moves; special moves work just fine. I didn't encounter this in my initial testing, weirdly enough.

ROMs are just very confusing to me now.
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Ongekibou
Beginning Trainer

Setting a move type to ??? does the same thing (low damage). Perhaps its related?
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongekibou View Post
Setting a move type to ??? does the same thing (low damage). Perhaps its related?
If that's the case, then perhaps the low damage is the result of some sort of error checker/handler?
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
This what happens when you don't test things. :\ Sorry guys. I'll take a look at it some time soon.
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Ongekibou
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
If that's the case, then perhaps the low damage is the result of some sort of error checker/handler?
Well the ??? type is inbetween the physical types and special types. If you add another type, it defaults to Special. It's likely some crazy stuff in the original code that tells the game which types to make Physical that's screwing up the code.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Leafbarrett

Soooo... basically, nobody has any idea why this is happening. Sigh. So much for doing a Nuzlocke screenshot run of a DPSS Emerald...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames19119 View Post
Yeah, there is a weird glitch with Darthathon's patch. I can't explain it honestly. The split works properly for what I believe are moves with no effect? But any moves that DO have an effect and are physical all do utterly low damage. I can't say for sure since I've gotten moves with no effect still doing no damage. This only bothers physical moves; special moves work just fine. I didn't encounter this in my initial testing, weirdly enough.

ROMs are just very confusing to me now.
Pound doesn't work either, so it's all physical moves.
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Krika
Unhatched Egg

Hang on. Could someone summarize what progress has been made with this? As best I can tell, there is a patch that implements the DPSS in Firered, and another that does it in Emerald, but that both are bugged. What exactly are the bugs in each of them? (Basically, is either in a usable condition to be plugged into a hack?)
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krika View Post
Hang on. Could someone summarize what progress has been made with this? As best I can tell, there is a patch that implements the DPSS in Firered, and another that does it in Emerald, but that both are bugged. What exactly are the bugs in each of them? (Basically, is either in a usable condition to be plugged into a hack?)
The Fire Red one handles Special and Physical correctly, but if a Fire attack hits Flash Fire or an Electric attack hits Volt Absorb, the game crashes. I'm not sure about Water Absorb.

The Emerald one handles Special correctly, but Physical attacks don't work correctly and will all do 1~2 damage as if they were ???-type attacks. I think it doesn't have the Flash Fire issue.

FR is usable if you can avoid the ability clashes, and Emerald kind of.. isn't.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Krika
Unhatched Egg

Alright, cool. That's helpful. Thanks
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Sorry for the delay. This appears to fix the problem with my Emerald patch.

Code:
0804674E: 80 78
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
08069BC4: 02 2F
08069BC6: 00 DB
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0
Changes are highlighted.

Post here if something is still wrong. (Once again I didn't test it very much.)
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Just came across something slightly disturbing. There's a second check in the code in FR after the known one, in the "special" part of the code, which is the cause of some of the bugs with the "cut down" versions of the code we have developed.

The bug was caused by the first check being correct for the new version, but the second being incorrect. This was why we were seeing 2 HP damage attacks in FR. This may also be the case in Emerald, though I haven't checked.

For the record, I changed it to branch off specifically for type 0x9 (???) but to execute normally for anything else. This fixed the bug immediately.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
ArmoredGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Sorry for the delay. This appears to fix the problem with my Emerald patch.

Code:
0804674E: 80 78
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
08069BC4: 02 2F
08069BC6: 00 DB
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0
Changes are highlighted.

Post here if something is still wrong. (Once again I didn't test it very much.)
Thank you very much. Will you update Attack Editor Pro so that now it includes the physical/special split? I'm looking forward to it!!
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Gamer2020

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredGuns View Post
Thank you very much. Will you update Attack Editor Pro so that now it includes the physical/special split? I'm looking forward to it!!
PGE supports the physical/special split.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
ArmoredGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
PGE supports the physical/special split.
Yes but I suppose it's the old version, since Darthatron posted the working code 5 days ago.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Gamer2020

Quote:
Yes but I suppose it's the old version, since Darthatron posted the working code 5 days ago.
That doesn't make a difference.

Old December 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
ArmoredGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
That doesn't make a difference.
I tested it and it doesn't work.

I changed Scratch to special, and Torchic does the same damage as if it were a physical move (after having edited torchic to have a 200 sp. attack base and a different ability).

I'm using emerald BTW.
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Nah... Probably never. I don't have the original source, and I don't really see it as vital since there are other editors.
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:

I changed Scratch to special, and Torchic does the same damage as if it were a physical move (after having edited torchic to have a 200 sp. attack base and a different ability).

I'm using emerald BTW.
That's because I'm assuming you haven't put in Darthatron's changes. Both the new code and the old code have the attacks read in the same format, hence why PGE works with both.

(ps I tested it on Ruby and it works, even with PGE. I figured out how to do it on Ruby by finding similar data to the offsets Darthatron posted, I made a thread in the Sideshowcase but it hasn't been approved yet, so PM me if you want my patch or think I'm lying or something)

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
ArmoredGuns

Well, can someone make an IPS patch for Emerald? Thanks!
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Gamer2020

Quote:

I'm using emerald BTW.
Well then you've done something wrong obviously since other people have gotten it to work.

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Darthatron's patch for Emerald works excellently, but there's a.. small, I guess, bug with Counter and Mirror Coat in it.

Counter won't reflect physical attacks if they're using a type that was formerly special, and Mirror Coat won't reflect special attacks if they're using a type that was formerly physical.

In the same vein if a special attack with a formerly physical type hits Counter, then it'll reflect it, and same with Mirror Coat/physicals with formerly special types.

Considering that Counter/Mirror Coat don't get used that often in the course of normal gameplay, it can be somewhat hard to notice, and probably only really a huge deal if you like using those moves often yourself.

I don't know if this happened with the JP versions of DPSS patches, because I saw Counter a grand total of zero times, so..
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links