The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Advertise here
CBC IMPROVEMENT THREAD
Welcome! We made this thread to promote staff transparency, and allow anyone to offer their input on our ideas and projects, or suggest their own. Even members that aren't CBC regulars may offer feedback, but keep in mind you might not have a full understanding of how the forum works. While everyone can discuss and suggest their ideas, everything still needs approval from Anti and I before it is applied to the forum. The first post will list all the possible changes so far, and the approved ones we will be implementing soon.

— "Bumping" is allowed in this thread.
Expect to see me or whoever reviving this constantly! By the way, bumping means to post in a thread that hasn't been posted in for a month.

UNDECIDED SUGGESTIONS
None...for now.

APPROVED SUGGESTIONS (THINGS TO DO)
— Battling guide.
Easily our biggest project; covers mostly everything there is about battling that can be written. There will be one for the basics of battling (along with team building, prediction, etc.), and one directed towards more experienced battlers looking to improve their skillz. The first one is our main priority. Could include a RMT and battle log guide as an extra thing. This guide will replace Compiled Guides.

— Rating guide and resource.
This will also have a few sample teams and an example rate for each. This will be separate from the battling guide, and will be a sticky thread most likely. Anti is working on majority of the guide. (Mostly complete.)

— An in-game team guide and resource.
It would include topics such as how to make a good in-game team; good Pokémon, HM slaves, and strategies to use; strategies and Pokémon to help defeat certain Gym Leaders. That isn't all, but just some subjects off the top of my head.

COMMUNITY EVENTS
— Clans.
Most important event currently; there needs to be more stuff happening with clans. Clans are the first thing we should work on, because everything else can wait. I have couple of ideas that I will introduce soon.

— Community Night.
Will be back up and running soon. There's a lot of stuff we can do with commnight (and clans).

— Pokémon Online tournaments.
More convenient than forum tournaments, but on a smaller scale and only includes people who are currently on PO. Will give megausers to pretty much every regular. Note: megausers is a PO status that allows a user to make tournaments, and nothing else.

— Forum tournaments.
Additionally, I shall revamp the official PC tournament soon, along with the concept of "Tour Series" being implemented. This is delayed for a while though, as clans require more attention or they will die.

— PC Ladder.
Is now running. Need to bug Petie about resetting the ladder rankings though.

These are events that could happen later:
Spoiler:
— PC league.
Leagues certainly aren't as successful as the other events, but this is still worth a try again. Ideas for the league include two divisions that have 5 users each, and one champion (totally copying Luke here!). That would replace the traditional Gym Leader -> Elite Four -> Champion layout. It doesn't require as much users, and is simpler.

— Battle Frontier.
This was something Oppo and I thought of a year ago. The Battle Frontier would consist of five tournaments, each with a theme such as Battle Factory-style rentals (themes that require a bit more time to do). Each of those would have a factory brain like in the game, that follow the theme. Once you defeat all the tournaments, you can battle the final brain. This was going to be an annual event that lasts for one month, with each tournament lasting around six days consecutively. Meaning, they won't happen all at once. This is a very big event, so it probably won't happen anytime soon.

— Community Create-A-Team.
This a forum event where everyone helps make a team. To put it simply, users will discuss and vote stuff as we go along the team building process. Then, everyone can test the team and suggest changes.

— RMT of the Month.
Member fame: RMT style. Except regulars don't post enough teams. And it encourages the "RMTs are for showcasing teams, not for help" way of thinking.

— Team building competitions.
Two users have to make a team (that follows a theme?) and everyone votes which is the better one. (lol)

— Community Create-A-Pokémon.
Anti's worst nightmare! Also, instead of creating a Pokémon, we could improve an already existing Pokémon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Sooo Karpman said I should ask here ;x

Since I was enjoying writing the comments on that battle log I was thinking how about an event where you get some good and some not so good battlers together to battle in like "unusual" teams and post the logs of the battles without comments or anything, and get members to write commentaries on the battles and see who can make the most interesting battle log of the battles w/ emblem rewards or something?

What are you guys thoughts on it?

Last edited by wolf; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
This is by far the greatest thread in Pokecommunity History. At any rate, everything here looks great, Wolf, even Community CAP sounds cool, so I can make the Unaware Steel/Ghost Type with 100/120/120 Defenses that I've always been dreaming of B)
All joking aside, I think pretty much everything outlined here can work, if everyone is motivated to make them work. I love the format for the Frontier, but if time constraints come up, we can always run our Frontier similar to the Smogon Frontier. I'd also be willing to make Logos for every clan, if they wanted them. Also, will we be implementing our Fire/Ground spinner from the initial CAP as part of Community CAP?

paired to kaori & vrai
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.

Nature: Serious
I think the most important thing is that we only start with what we can handle so that we don't overwhelm ourselves. People are still busy so we can't get overzealous, though I think that most of these ideas are fine.

As for the Simple Q&A rename, naming it "Help Thread" is like naming a restaurant "food place." I'm fine with changing the name, but Help Thread actually sounds silly! I would be fine with removing the breeding questions aspect as that was mostly to "replace" the old Breeders Corner. I can't help but feel like the other two elements are essential though. "Questions and Moveset Requests" could work but sounds clunky to me...so I don't know. Not like it really matters though...just as long as it's not Help Thread, I don't mind.

The tier resource is mostly outdated now if only because Smogon is completely superior because it's just more convenient with all of the other links and features. Unless there is still a lot of confusion about tiers (maybe there is), I think Smogon is fine.

Since the recent mood has been (at least as far as I can tell) that we need to promote battling itself more, clans would be the logical step to take in order to make that happen. We definitely aren't getting as much as we could out of the subforum. I feel that given our limited amount of people, a concentrated effort to launch three or four strong clans would be ideal. I think that three would be a good starting point, maybe with a fourth reserved for a currently inactive user or something. Before we do any of that though, I think it's important that we know what we want out of clans and how they would function as a part of CBC. While I think they gel quite easily, we should still be completely aware of what we're getting ourselves into (not to make it sound ominous x_x).

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
lol food place

I agree that both actually feel essential but I'm leaning more towards a 'Simple Q&A Thread'-style name because it just feels smoother rather than 'Simple Questions & Movesets Thread' I guess. That seems like one of the easier tasks ahead of us so might as well get it out of the way. :)

As far as those community events towards the bottom, we need to really only focus on one or two max at a time and see what works and see what doesn't. Clans sounds like the best to begin with and we definitely have some people willing to run them in Aero and Karpy and Wofl; I think they could turn out well. The only other one I'd be interested in seeing right now would be Comm Night with a little organization. Things like PC CAP will require a lot of effort and I think we're just not prepared to try something like that yet.

The things you outlined for the Tutoring Corner sound wonderful. If I had a little more free time I'd totally jump in there and help out with that guide too. ;-; I do think that while it was reasonably a success (I suppose?) it's just too much effort and needing constant attention for us to really run it effectively. A compiled guide would be much much better.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I could revamp my threat lists again if it helps. I lost motivation last time as i was going through some personal issues, that and the meta was changing so it was annoying finishing a set and the poke moving to uu/getting banned. Also my explanations were too long.

It needs stuff adding and everything putting into alphabetical order still or by relevance and a couple of UU mons removing, but yeah.

It'd be nice to get some help with it too though.
Pair x [23:25] =Sanguine: take meh with your mighty staff
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

@ Karp Glad you like it! We can both make the logos, because I would still like to make some. As for our past CAP, I doubt it. It was originally for generation four, so it wouldn't work the way it was supposed to now. Especially with Rotom-A (I haven't heard Rotom-"A" used in so long!) no longer being a spinblocker.

@ Anti Well, I was listing all the past ideas that came to mind, so I am not intending to make them all at once of course!

"Questions and Moveset Requests" doesn't sound as clunky as "Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A" in my opinion. Maybe "Moveset Help & Questions" would sound better? Out of all of them, I prefer "Simple Q&A" the most because moveset requests do fall under "questions."

I agree that clans would the best event to start with, along with a few tournaments. Funny you mention it, we actually have three users ready to make their clans (Karp, Aero, and I), with Vrai possibly sometime in the future. I imagine a clan's main focus would be preparing for clan wars by improving battling skills and teams?

@ Vrai I agree. All of the tutoring programs were successes to an extent; they brought us some active members regardless if they didn't last long.

@ Elf I don't know, all of our threat lists were trying to do too much. I think it would be better if we had the format similar to:

Spoiler:

-Salamence-

Overview - Probably shorter than Smogon's, but still gets the point across about its impact on the metagame. (Or is an overview even necessary?)

Offensive Dragon Dance - P2, Cress, Zong, yada yada.

MixMence - So many counters!

Then the rest of the Smogon movesets.

That would be simpler. It focuses on the purpose of a threat list, lets Smogon explain the movesets so it doesn't clutter the thread, and is easy on the eyes. Also, it doesn't take as much time to make or update! The threat list should also try to list checks and counters that Smogon doesn't list usually, so there is more of a reason to use it (this is already being done probably).

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Dark Azelf
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
@ Elf I don't know, all of our threat lists were trying to do too much. I think it would be better if we had the format similar to:

Spoiler:

-Salamence-

Overview - Probably shorter than Smogon's, but still gets the point across about its impact on the metagame. (Or is an overview even necessary?)

Offensive Dragon Dance - P2, Cress, Zong, yada yada.

MixMence - So many counters!

Then the rest of the Smogon movesets.

That would be simpler. It focuses on the purpose of a threat list, lets Smogon explain the movesets so it doesn't clutter the thread, and is easy on the eyes. Also, it doesn't take as much time to make or update! The threat list should also try to list checks and counters that Smogon doesn't list usually, so there is more of a reason to use it (this is already being done probably).
BUT MIXMENCE IS ITS BEST SET (((((((( lol

Idk, i kinda like being thorough when it comes to things like that. I guess thats just me though. Ill probably try your way though, typing up those damn things my/Anti's way is really annoying and tedious lol. :/
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
BUT MIXMENCE IS ITS BEST SET :((((((((( lol

Idk, i kinda like being thorough when it comes to things like that. I guess thats just me though. Ill probably try your way though, typing up those damn things my/Anti's way is really annoying and tedious lol. :/
I was being sarcastic!

It can be thorough when listing the checks and counters (that was just a short example). I just think the movesets and descriptions for them take up too much space.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Cycle
Trainer

Nature: Jolly
Ok I'm kind of annoyed right now because I've taken a brief glance at the RMT's and I've seen people say to replace five out of six pokemon. This thread from smogon shows how you give a proper rate, and if you read rule #3, it says: Indeed, it is often best to try and deviate as little as possible from the original team as possible. Remember, you're here to rate the team, not rebuild it. I like seeing people trying to be helpful to other people, but the goal of an RMT is not so you can get a completely new team, it's so you can fix your old team to adapt better to the metagame. If you suggest 1 or 2 pokemon to replace, that's fine by me, but replacing the whole team is absolutely ridiculous as you can see in this thread. I'm not trying to pinpoint anybody, but this is really kind of ridiculous telling someone to replace essentially their whole team.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day~
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

It seems to me that in that example thread you linked, the owner of the thread was very open to any changes and even asked for more or if changing it was a good idea. Yeah it's wonderful that you want to achieve Smogon-quality rates here but we do not have Smogon-quality battlers and more often than not they're very very new to the whole battling scene, meaning half of the time the raters need to explain why a certain Pokemon is better than another for the job they're using it for. We just don't have the same kinds of RMTs that the vast majority of Smogon is comprised of and that's ok. Sometimes new players need to be given options and even if all of the team members are suggested to be 'replaced', it's still just giving the owner of the team more options to experiment with. They can go through and replace everything if they want or only the things that sound good or fluid to them. The last post in that thread is a wonderful post, too;

Quote:
Originally Posted by owner of the thread
I think I most likely will be swapping houndoom out and competing in RU though because the pokemon in this team were chosen because they're my favorites and they're all in the RU tier. I'm really looking into some of the changes you have all mentioned though.
That's the point of RMTs - to give the owner new thoughts on how to change it and improve it. Yeah, changing only one or two Pokemon is the 'optimal' idea here but sometimes we need to go through and give them new options for every 'mon because a lot of them aren't as good as they should be.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM
Anti

Let's not let this thread get personal. Discussing the merits or issues of a rating style is fine, but let's not get heated. ;(

Anyhow, I really don't mind people posting a lot of potential replacements. I think it can get out of hand with newer players just because they don't have anything to gain really from going into battle with six standard Pokemon and not understanding their synergy or even how they work individually. It seems like a waste of the rater's time. More than anything, new players just need experience and encouragement, and tearing down their teams isn't exactly the most uplifting experience no matter how it's worded. That being said, it's not really a big deal.

In general, I feel like we're not really in a position to be nitpicky about rates. Activity is limited as it is, and whatever our issues with how it's currently done, I don't think it's really worth getting worked up about. I feel like our energy would be better off being channeled for something less inherently negative that could make a positive difference...in other words, what Wolf said.

I feel like the thing we need to focus on most is the dormant T&E subforum. We combined it with S&M to make them more connected, and while that has to some extent happened, we can do so much more. We also need to get people battling more [/guilty]. Out of the plethora of metagames available, there is one for everyone. I would certainly be willing to get behind the Advance metagame or even the extremely obscure 200 metagame. After all, this is CBC, not CBC: Gen 5 only. I think that there is a lot of untapped potential with the subforum. I think that three clans to start is plenty and we can build the foundation from there.

We would have to make sure we know what we want out of them exactly. Still, the general basis will definitely be battling, so that's a fine start.

(unrelated note: Vrai is probably watching Wisconsin/Nebraska right now, the Huskers' first Big "Ten" game. For the sake of the sanity of the state of Nebraska and the state of Vrai's mental health, let's all cheer for the Huskers even if Wisconsin is going to win)

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cycle
Trainer

Am I allowed to double post in a thread if I haven't gotten any replies?
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
(unrelated note: Vrai is probably watching Wisconsin/Nebraska right now, the Huskers' first Big "Ten" game. For the sake of the sanity of the state of Nebraska and the state of Vrai's mental health, let's all cheer for the Huskers even if Wisconsin is going to win)
Yeah, I know we suck. :| gtfo stop passing martinez three ints already.... ok i'm done watching now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
Am I allowed to double post in a thread if I haven't gotten any replies?
I'd imagine that if you have no replies that you're not going to get a whole lot more, but in any case I wouldn't see why it's not worth trying.
Old October 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
LawOfTheLand

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Yahoo to LawOfTheLand
While it's all well and good to share the wealth with other communities like Smogon, one thing I've noticed is that while they've been quick to jump on updating the tier listings, the set analyses are slower in coming. (A modest example: Excadrill got the boot to Uber recently, but its sets are still listed for OU effectiveness.)

Let's treat their resources as just that: Resources. As much as they might want us to think that their word is final, in the end what works for them might not be the best option for us, or even an effective option. If Smogon teaches university-level courses, more casual sites like this one might be better suited with a high school education, if you get my drift.
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawOfTheLand View Post
While it's all well and good to share the wealth with other communities like Smogon, one thing I've noticed is that while they've been quick to jump on updating the tier listings, the set analyses are slower in coming. (A modest example: Excadrill got the boot to Uber recently, but its sets are still listed for OU effectiveness.)

Let's treat their resources as just that: Resources. As much as they might want us to think that their word is final, in the end what works for them might not be the best option for us, or even an effective option. If Smogon teaches university-level courses, more casual sites like this one might be better suited with a high school education, if you get my drift.
I agree. We shouldn't be over here trying to do the same things that Smogon has already done (and probably done better) but rather focusing on the differences that would keep people coming here and not just simply jumping to Smogon. Community-related events like community night; in-depth and up-to-date guides on things like rating teams, building teams, and how-to's in general; and even just the totally different environment we have here are all things we should focus on and emphasize. While D_A's threat list was cool (and I learned sososooo much while trying to work on it) we have no reason to put that much effort towards being a lesser Smogon.
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Forever
let it go

I was just thinking about something in regards to how to "improve". I was looking over the tournament & events forums and I noticed occasionally users are posting personal battle threads as allowed, but it's not really worded to be a "battle me tournament", but technically is within the rules because they're asking for more than one battle, but yet lower down in the rules it says the users will be infracted if they don't organise their thread, I dunno, maybe some clarification on the rules there might help? Since as it is I don't really think one or two lines really qualifies for a "battle me tournament" (that's what I'm calling it, since idk what else to call it), and it's confusing because I don't really know whether to report those threads or not because they're technically within the rules but not really?

Idk I hope that makes sense.
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
sims796
We're A-Comin', Princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
Ok I'm kind of annoyed right now because I've taken a brief glance at the RMT's and I've seen people say to replace five out of six pokemon. This thread from smogon shows how you give a proper rate, and if you read rule #3, it says: Indeed, it is often best to try and deviate as little as possible from the original team as possible. Remember, you're here to rate the team, not rebuild it. I like seeing people trying to be helpful to other people, but the goal of an RMT is not so you can get a completely new team, it's so you can fix your old team to adapt better to the metagame. If you suggest 1 or 2 pokemon to replace, that's fine by me, but replacing the whole team is absolutely ridiculous as you can see in this thread. I'm not trying to pinpoint anybody, but this is really kind of ridiculous telling someone to replace essentially their whole team.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day~
I have to back this up.

I remember back in my earlier days in this site, when Anti was still in diapers and I was mentoring Dark Azelf with my 1337 skillz, team rating was a chore. Or rather, getting your team rated. A tad too many times, you'll get 3 or more pokes outright replaced, which got me thinking 'huh, this...doesn't look like my team at all'. Now of course, I was a picky little brat then, and was terrible at taking criticism. At the same time (and as I matured to how a forum works, this was my first one), having an entire team torn down and replaced was...discouraging. By the time the suggestions were made, it was like 'eh, what's the point?'. The teams didn't really feel like me, and if I was just going to use any ol' team, I would have asked for it to be built from scratch (I think we had "Build me a team" threads then).

The rates I loved, which incidentally came from people that have gotten used to my style, were ones that saw my weaknesses (how the heck do you have a Yanmega weakness) and suggested ways to fix it without mutilating my team. For example, I'll get things like:

"A Water type, like Swampert or Gya, will really help with that Infernape weakness"

Now I know that my team is Infernape weak, and I need a bulky water. At this point, I can say

"Well, those two might work, but how about Quagmire!"

...that was a pretty cheesy example, but it made me point. Now I know my weakness, how I can fix it, what steps I have to take, and my options at taking them.

But I haven't been here in a while, so maybe that has changed. I dunno, just wanted to say something.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Dark Azelf
Community Supporter

Anti told me to post here.

Those of you were here in 2007 may remember a thing called "the legion of supremacy". When i first joined PC, it was one of the most fun ideas and things ive done. Original guy to post the thread was a guy called artful-one iirc.

Basically it entails the following;

You join and are in the lowest rank (which was 8 iirc, unless he knew you were better and placed you accordingly) and then once you win 2 or 3 matches (forgot which, but its one point per match for a win and -1 for a loss) in a row and thus 3 points you move up a rank to 7 and so on and so forth. If you lose 3 match in a row you lose a rank. Post results and challenges in the thread, give logs to the OP (back in the day we used wifi though, but this could still be used now also in addition to PO lol)

Id very much like to bring this back. What do you think ?
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Kittyipawd
Waiting to see red again

Clans would definetly improve activity. There are little homes for battler especially newers ones. Outside of pokemon usally there are different tiers of clans (The snooby elitiest ones with all the best people of said game/moderators , good clans . nooby clans with one good leader , etc) and they really help with getting out of the "noob" phase of battling. I mean you can read all you want but unless you battle you can't really get the game. This is where we can be different from smogon because you could be more personal with the newer battlers. I remember when I first started off battling I had alot of questions and I wish I could open up some type of chat and ask every little thing. ex) Why does the cb set have more synergy then the CS set for my team. When is safe or optimal to double switch)

I like the idea of a "high school" approach to pokemon battling. Maybe have the veterans give general help on the pc po server. I mean this tutor buisness is really dumb when you have a quick question.

That and when I first joined pc I looked first into the wifi battling center and not the S&M section when the battling section should be a sub forum of it. It just makes life easier.

I hope what I wrote made sense lol.

Friend Code 0705-2846-7850 , Fighting type safari (I have a Riolu)
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Anti

Christmas break is coming for a lot of people so I think that now is as good a time as any to actually start to launch some of the stuff we've been planning. As far as I know, Wolf's clan is done or at worst very close to completion, and the same can be said of mine and Ooka's (we just need a cool name :x). We definitely need someone to take Karpman's old clan off his hands as he is gone from PC...unless Wolf already took care of this and I'm just out of the loop!

The plan for awhile has been to launch clans during a Community Night event where we have something resembling a clan "rush" where people join the three clans and we have other CN events (tournaments mostly). I think it's about time to start to find a good day to do this so that things can get up and running again.
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

I still support the idea of a CCAT!!! (As I did when I mentioned it during the latter parts of DPP).

I'm back for a bit (until school gets too hectic or 5th gen pisses me off in some way) so I'll try and help in anyway I can. Granted, I don't know much (read: next to nothing) about 5th gen, but I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can.

Also, I'm not sure how much more useless emblems (I think that's what they are called?) on profiles have become, but we could give one out for the featured RMT and stuff. Y'know, for incentives and what-not.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Dark Azelf
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gamer View Post
I still support the idea of a CCAT!!! (As I did when I mentioned it during the latter parts of DPP).

I'm back for a bit (until school gets too hectic or 5th gen pisses me off in some way) so I'll try and help in anyway I can. Granted, I don't know much (read: next to nothing) about 5th gen, but I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can.

Also, I'm not sure how much more useless emblems (I think that's what they are called?) on profiles have become, but we could give one out for the featured RMT and stuff. Y'know, for incentives and what-not.
RMT Archive, pleaseeeeee. Ive gone through the old part of the forum ALOT lately and could pick out at least 10 good old ones from past members. Also members could nominate RMT's for the archive too. Dunno about you but sounds fun. Also will encourage people to post RMT's and think "wow i could be in that archive" -cough-. >:/ lol Plus some teams i wanna nom arent there because of how they are displayed, but simply because of how the team looks and functions. Not even because of its success. It will be nice to see a history of the metagame and stuff too. And yes i know "but smogon already has one" this is PC, not smogon and this is about us lol.

edit:

NP: Eye of the tiger

LOL!
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Anti

I don't really like incentives because I think they're pointless. People either post or they don't, and I think their potential effects are overstated. Even so, they're pretty harmless. Much like with CCAT, I think that if people want it and are willing to support it, it should happen. Obviously this is not applicable to emblems (though they take almost zero effort from staff so it's not a big deal), but if it's widely supported, it should probably happen. (Yes, I've had a bit of a change of heart about them.)
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think we should have a league, that someone who is dedicated will run (i.e: not me).

There should be a way to code it, so the results from the PO server could be directly interpreted as points and etc, so it's easier on people who host or whatever.

Because hosting a league is incredibly hard, maintaining is the real killer. If you have set people to do set things, like add points and calculate totals, while another takes registration and makes the art for the respective person it would be a lot easier.

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impo View Post
I think we should have a league, that someone who is dedicated will run (i.e: not me).

There should be a way to code it, so the results from the PO server could be directly interpreted as points and etc, so it's easier on people who host or whatever.

Because hosting a league is incredibly hard, maintaining is the real killer. If you have set people to do set things, like add points and calculate totals, while another takes registration and makes the art for the respective person it would be a lot easier.
Your league was really active and seemed like fun when it was running. Once we have ComNight and clans underway, I definitely think we should do this. We would have to find someone with the time to do it, but we'll be alright I would think.

--------------------------------------

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

I just finished the team rating guide that was once in high demand...IDK about anymore. Either way, we're trying to finally replace the horribly outdated Compiled Guides (they're for gen 4 lol...) and this is the first of many. It will be beautified once Wolf comes back and once necessary revisions are made. I'm pretty comfortable with the content that's there but IDK if I left important things out...if there are glaring omissions, do tell! And yeah, I'd love to trim it down a little and you'll see why once you open the little spoiler!

(Yes, I'm posting this for a critique...don't just stare at it please ;x)

Spoiler:
TEAM RATING

I. Introduction

Team rating is something that can seem intimidating to a lot of people. It takes a little practice to really get the hang of it, but once you do, you will be able to improve teams in what is a rewarding experience for the rater and the team builder alike.

II. General Approach

The mission of any team rater is to improve the team in question while keeping it as true to its original form as possible. To do this well, you will first have to identify the basic identity or strategy of a team. For example, a team with defensive Pokémon and all three entry hazards is almost always going to be a stall team. It is usually pretty obvious what a team's strategy is. If it's not, it could very well be a team that just lacks synergy and needs a lot of work; in this case, you will want to help the team builder form a coherent strategy.

Sometimes you will have to change the basic identity of a team for it to really work, but for the most part you should keep it as close to its original form as possible. After all, there is nothing worse than posting a team only to have the final product completely different than what you had intended in the first place. Similarly, you will not want to divert from its basic strategy when making changes. If you replace Politoed on a Drizzle team to deal with a Rotom-W weakness, you're doing more harm than good.

In other words, you will want to be sure that the changes you make don't cause more problems than they solve. Doing that successfully is what this guide is for.

III. Identifying Weaknesses

With a team's strategy in mind, you can turn to identifying threats so that you and the team builder both know what needs to be fixed. You should also explain why the threat you mention is indeed a threat so that your rate is as clear as possible. It is also much more helpful and constructive to explain why the threat exists so that the team builder knows exactly where the source of the problem is and can avoid simple team-building mistakes that could have led to that weakness.

There are two different kinds of threats. Identifying both is key to giving the most thorough rate possible.

A. Individual Pokémon

The most traditional kind of threat is an individual Pokémon. You will often see raters say something like "this team is Starmie weak" or something similar to that. It is important to figure out what individual Pokémon cause problems because these are potentially deadly weaknesses that are usually pretty easy to fix. Of course, not every Pokémon can be countered or even checked, but major threats should be accounted for at least to some degree.

If you struggle with figuring out exactly what Pokémon give a team trouble, you can just look at the list of OU Pokémon and look at the team to see their answer to it. For example, if you look at Terrakion and then see that the team has a Slowbro on it, you can assume that Terrakion is not a threat. However, if when looking at Rotom-W you see that there are no immunities or resistances to Electric-type attacks and the only special wall is Tyranitar, who is weak to Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, it is something to make note of as a major threat to the team.

Of course, this can be time-consuming, but it comes easier—and and much more quickly—with practice and knowledge of the metagame. For example, if the team in question has Specially Defensive Jirachi and Latias, most special attackers are probably going to be stopped by one of the two, so you can quickly skim through them.

Again, a team's strategy comes into play here. A stall team is going to mostly want hard counters and a few reliable checks to deal with offensive Pokémon. An offense team is going to rely much more on checks and just outplaying opponents by utilizing the resistances and natural bulk of attackers. A Choice Band Scizor is probably going to be the best answer to Haxorus you're going to find, but given the fact that offense teams attempt to control momentum and kill before being killed, checks and revenge killers are suitable answers to offensive threats.

B. Playstyles

Entire playstyles can also be threatening. The most common example of this is that many teams cannot break stall teams. By themselves, defensive Pokémon are very easy to counter, as they are not usually offensively threatening and can be forced out by attackers that can pick on a weaker defensive stat and/or a type weakness. However, this is only a short-term answer when playing against a stall team. Skarmory does not mind being forced out by Jolteon if it gets down a layer of Spikes, as it has already started contributing to the strategy of wearing you down, and it can always come in later to lay down another layer. Stall teams will easily survive long enough to lay down their hazards against teams that aren't prepared to break through the defensive prowess of the stall team, and then, despite the fact that all of the Pokémon are individually accounted for, the stall team will easily stall out its opponent and win.

People often use "stallbreakers" to overwhelm walling combos. These are usually powerful and/or diverse attackers like Haxorus and Lucario that with only a little support can run over a stall team. More generally, strong offensive synergy will bring down a stall team, especially when it is accompanied by a lure or trapper Pokémon. Rapid Spinners and Taunt + Toxic stallers are other ways to combat stall teams. If someone's team lacks most or all of these things and does not appear to have any way of breaking stall, it is just as important to mention as a weakness to Salamence or Landorus. It is also a tell-tale sign that a team is weak to stall if one walling duo can easily shut down the whole thing.

The other playstyle that is typically a problem for teams is weather-based teams. Drought, Drizzle, and Sand Stream can power up multiple attackers for an entire match and allow them to gradually overpower the defenses of an opponent, and Snow Warning makes Blizzard 100% accurate for those brave enough to attempt a Hail team. If a team has three Pokémon weak to Water and only a Celebi to sponge those hits, it probably won't last very long against Rain stall or Rain offense.

To figure out if a team is weak to a certain variation of weather, it is a good idea to look at how the team deals with the most popular weather abusers. If it can handle them pretty well and has a backup plan of some sort, it's probably fine, but having a gaping weakness to CBTar and Landorus means that Sandstorm teams as a whole are going to be an enormous problem.

IV. Fixing Weaknesses

Once you have pointed out what the threats are to a team and properly explained them, you will want to suggest solutions. This can be difficult because you can basically redo the team in the process (which is never good) or you can create as many weaknesses as you eliminate.

To do this well, a good place to start is looking for a Pokémon that does little to contribute to the overall strategy of the team or just isn't very helpful. This is usually a Pokémon that performs the same role as a team member and just seems redundant. Replacing that Pokémon with one that deals with most of the weaknesses you noticed will go a long way toward making the team more solid and should help with its synergy. That being said, your replacement should not be equally incongruous: recommending a frail Choice Scarfer for a stall team or a mixed wall Porygon2 on a Heavy Offense team might cover a few weaknesses, but it's still not very helpful because they don't fit in with the teams' playstyles.

Many good teams do not have a Pokémon that appears to be "dead weight," but there are still a few weaknesses that need to be taken care of. One way to do this is to look for a Pokémon that performs the same role as one of those already on the team that can also fill in a weakness. For example, if someone is using Choice Band Tyranitar to trap Lati@s with Pursuit and generally provide a hard hitting physical attacker, but Haxorus and Trick Room Reuniclus cause problems, a Choice Band Scizor would be a reasonable replacement. It deals with Reuniclus and Haxorus pretty well and, as long as the team does not rely heavily on Sandstorm, Scizor is a solid replacement. It can be tricky trying to keep the original synergy intact and sometimes your suggestions just won't work. That just comes with the territory and you can't be afraid to make a wrong suggestion or else you might withhold a really useful one.

The last step of fixing weaknesses is explaining how they improve the team. One of the most common rating mistakes is when people say "use this" and post a moveset. Even if the advice is good, you are not giving the OP any reason to take your suggestion, and by not explaining how it helps, the team builder might not even understand why exactly they're making the change if they do in fact take the suggestion. It usually only takes one concise sentence to explain your suggestion, and it really can be a big help.

V. Other Fixes

So far, this guide has covered how to fix errors in a team's structure, mostly relating to things that are strategic in nature. However, there are more minor tactical changes that are also important. Most good teams won't require many of these fixes, but they are important to maximizing each Pokémon's individual potential. These changes include fixing any inefficient or numerically impossible EV spreads, replacing any completely outclassed Pokémon, fixing a moveset to give the Pokémon better type coverage, etc. These kinds of changes will sometimes be the lion's share of the changes you make in a rate, so even though they're routine and often require little thinking, you shouldn't overlook them!

VI. "Noob" Teams

Whenever you run into a team with users of Fly, Hyper Beam and its clones, and four starter Pokémon, you're rating the team of someone who is new to competitive battling. Most of the rating strategies discussed above will not benefit them much because they won't understand why they're important or where they went wrong with Hyper Beam Meganium. In cases like this, you'll want to explain some of the more glaring errors they made and link them to the necessary guides, which will usually be an Introduction to Competitive Battling or an introduction to EVs. There is no point in being needlessly rude or gashing the entire team and replacing everything with standard OU Pokémon. After all, it's not like their first team is going to take the leaderboard by storm. Fix the most egregious errors and then set them up for future success with the appropriate links. Being too harsh can kill a new player's spirit.

In other words, just remember that rating a team that discusses Scizor's synergy with Latias and a cool lure Gengar should be approached differently than one made by someone who wouldn't even understand the first part of this sentence. It's common sense, really.

VII. Conclusion

Hopefully this guide was helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or ask for help in the Simple Q&A Thread or Competitive Battling Chat stickies!

Last edited by Anti; December 29th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here