The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cool4Mewtwo View Post
I guess teenage pregnancy (just one example of consequences of having sex in earlier ages) is not a complex situation, after all.

From my personal experience, I'd definitely say that a normal 13-14 year old teenager can't take sex seriously. When I was in sex ed portion of health class, when the teacher showed us a picture of... *youknow*, everybody in the class giggled, and teacher had to warn us multiple times to get us to stop.
Unnecessary sarcasm is unnecessary.

You've missed the entire point of my post. What I was saying was that while I don't personally believe that sex is a complicated thing (and while teen pregnancy is a complex situation, it is somewhat separate to what I'm talking about), I understand that other people feel differently. However the point I was making was what does it matter what any of us think? Why do we think we have the right to make laws telling other people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies based on what we believe?

Also, the fact that 13-14 year olds giggle during an awkward class room environment where a teacher who nobody would want to think of in a sexual context is trying to teach you about sex does not necessarily mean that they are unprepared to handle the act itself. I think the giggling would be more to do with the awkward dynamic in the classroom rather than the inability to fathom what to do with the parts.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Last edited by Sodom; December 29th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post

You've missed the entire point of my post. What I was saying was that while I don't personally believe that sex is a complicated thing (and while teen pregnancy is a complex situation, it is somewhat separate to what I'm talking about), I understand that other people feel differently. However the point I was making was what does it matter what any of us think? Why do we think we have the right to make laws telling other people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies based on what we believe?
Yeah I agree.. if that was true just imagine! If the traditional christian or catholic church ran.. No sex before marriage is LAW!! .O. Gay sex is BANNED!
Yeah.. no.. laws should only come in when it involves something that was violated.

Last edited by shenanigans; December 29th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
I'm going to take a dangerous position on this. Sure hope it doesn't screw me over when I'm trying to get a job in the future, but I think it needs to be said.

Age of consent should be abolished. Here's what I think we should do: replace it with some sort of "sex permit." Once you're 18 (or at whatever point most people are out of puberty by), you don't need one, but if you want to have sex before then, you need to undergo a psychological evaluation or something (not face-to-face so as to avoid bias on the part of the examiner). If you're deemed mature enough to handle it, then you're granted the permit. If you get caught doing it without a license, you and your partner are required to do community service.

Why not?
Whoa. Asex permit? Seriously? Doesn't the notion of government issued sex-permits seem ridiculous to you? Why should they have any control over your access to sex?

What is "mature enough"? It's so vague that it'll easily be open to abuse. Not to mention that psychologists can hardly be trusted anyway - everyone has their own agenda.

The lack of face to face is also a negative, since anyone could fill in the appropriate form and send it in on behalf of a young teenager. Never mind that you won't necessarily avoid bias that way anyway.

Is there an age restriction on when the evaluation can be taken? If so, wouldn't that just be another form of AoC?

The whole idea just makes things needlessly more complex. Just lower the AoC laws. If someone wants to have sex, they'll do it, regardless of the laws anyway.

All this would do is create more trouble for people and more bureaucracy for the government to waste money and time on.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

I know that the current Age of Consent is good but personally I think it should be lowered to stop all this consensual rape ******** that some people abuse just so they can get money. I know that not everyone does this but, this is the case most of the time. Since girls can make themselves look older than they really are, just to lure and trap men into a living hell.

I could probably have worded this better but, oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
All this would do is create more trouble for people and more bureaucracy for the government to waste money and time on.
Have they done anything else useful besides that one time?
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Gold warehouse

A similar point to the swearing and censorship thread, why is sex such a controversial subject for youth in the first place? One of the very reasons for it being an area of interest for youngsters is the fact that it's forbidden to them.

Teenage pregnancy has only become an area of concern in recent decades. No wonder, really, when you consider the media is incredibly sexual, people are conditioned to be interested in sex, and then there's an outcry when there's a "problem" with underage sex. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if there's an ulterior motive amongst those in power when you look at the whole picture; teenage pregnancy is a hot topic of discussion everywhere, in the news, television, in politics. Things like this don't just happen for no reason, but I digress.

The current way in which society treats sex is incredibly contradictory. Society throws sex around everywhere to the point where it is unavoidable, the majority of children will learn about sex at a very young age; and then most of the time they are immediately taught that it's something that is dirty, forbidden, and is to be avoided, which only raises interest in it. We can either go back to our traditional ways and keep sex entirely private in every way possible; or, a more reasonable solution, forget about teaching abstinence, secrecy, and maintaining the "innocence" of children, and amend the age of consent laws whilst focusing entirely on safe sex practices. If there's no risk of pregnancy or STDs, then is there really anything wrong with having sex at all?
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:28 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Writing this at 6:30 am, might be a little nonsensical, I dunno.

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a social planner or politician or whatever. What I'm trying to do is create a discussion about the issue. People aren't acknowledging this as a problem, let alone discussing a solution. I'm trying to propose something that would at least work and solve the main problem, even if it's not practical to implement. A proof of concept, if you will.

Also, this isn't just about sex. I think that anyone should be able to apply for adult status under the law and, provided they show they're ready for it, obtain that status some way. The government thinks we're ready to have sex at 16, die for our country at 18, and get drunk at 21. Why? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
If I may step in and give one: consent.

Consent doesn't have to be a complex issue, but it can be tricky sometimes. First, there is basic ignorance around the topic. Some people don't understand that a person who is intoxicated or unconscious can't give consent. Then there are instances where how consenting a person is changes over the course of an encounter. On the whole topic of people having sex when they don't want to you have instances where someone may not necessarily want to have sex or want to as often as their partner but may feel they have to in order to maintain the relationship. In a case like the last example you're talking about all kinds of power dynamics through a prism of sex.

The point is that it's important that someone knows how to navigate through these potential issues or else you risk someone being taken advantage of over misunderstandings and miscommunication (or worse, from a willful act). Or someone could get their feelings hurt, which isn't as serious, but it's still worth consideration. It's complex because you can't be taught how to do all that.
I'll grant intoxication, but that's hardly complex. As for the rest, it seems pretty simple to me: yes means yes, no means no. All the stuff about relationship dynamics doesn't matter; same rule applies. It wouldn't be any different for adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Honestly.. that's a confusing question for me.. like.. what isn't complex? The physical motions of sex? It's still complex to me, like I said. Arousal, mutual desire, confidence, peer pressure, pain, consequences, consent, anxiety, body image, the social aspect of sex such as rumors, etc. god the list goes on.. rather.. what do you think ISN'T complex so I can try to understand you.
I'll give you that social dynamics can complicate things (you could have just said that's what you were talking about to begin with), but I still think it's unfair to prevent two consenting individuals from having sex based on that alone. And I was hoping that the process of getting a permit that I talked about earlier would be rigorous enough to separate people who may have been coerced into it.

Quote:
Either way I don't know how someone else can deem you mature or not for a permit. I mean.. even with physical checkups, doctors diagnose you with different things with the same symptoms.. and psychologists are expensive. What kid at 13/14 will have that sort of money for a psychological evaluation and then spend more money to get the permit filed and printed? How is that feasible? I get that it has good intentions in that you may be screening people who are ready.. but how could you control people who don't have permits from having sex?
You're right, I guess. It would be nearly impossible to implement without at least a bit of tax money and there's not a chance in hell of taxpayers paying for something like that. But the point is, there has to be a better solution than the one we have now. I think my idea is a step in the right direction, even if I don't have the political know-how to make it work. I think individual rights should not be granted at an arbitrary age and that's the important idea here. There needs to be a discussion about this at the very least.

Quote:
Whoa. Asex permit? Seriously? Doesn't the notion of government issued sex-permits seem ridiculous to you? Why should they have any control over your access to sex?
It's more like a "permission" thing that becomes irrelevant once you're 16. I think it's a fair trade to require evaluation of people who want special privileges before the legal limit. The important thing is letting people below the arbitrary age have some way of showing they're mature enough to handle adult responsibilities.

Quote:
What is "mature enough"?
A stringent list of questions would be asked to get an idea of the situation surrounding the request for adult status.

Quote:
The lack of face to face is also a negative, since anyone could fill in the appropriate form and send it in on behalf of a young teenager. Never mind that you won't necessarily avoid bias that way anyway.
The evaluation would still be performed live in a standardized facility. The two sides just wouldn't see each other.
Quote:
Is there an age restriction on when the evaluation can be taken?
No, though there would need to be some way to screen out people who were obviously not ready to save on funds.

Quote:
The whole idea just makes things needlessly more complex. Just lower the AoC laws. If someone wants to have sex, they'll do it, regardless of the laws anyway.
The problem of an arbitrary limit still exists. The problem with laws in general is that you're trying to ascribe arbitrary rules to something as complex as human psychology and behavior (in this case, maturity). This is one case where I feel it has a real negative impact on nearly everyone at some point. I may not have the best solution, but the important thing is that I think there needs to be a dialogue on it, and it's something that doesn't even get discussed because politicians are too worried about their reputations.

Quote:
Like I said, I think the most important thing is to talk about the issue and get some ideas up. Most people don't even acknowledge this as a problem, but it definitely causes some very real harm.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
It's more like a "permission" thing that becomes irrelevant once you're 16. I think it's a fair trade to require evaluation of people who want special privileges before the legal limit. The important thing is letting people below the arbitrary age have some way of showing they're mature enough to handle adult responsibilities.
Having sex is a privilege now? Using your body the way it was intended require government approval? You don't find that ridiculous at all, to require people to have a sex permit like a drivers license?

Quote:
A stringent list of questions would be asked to get an idea of the situation surrounding the request for adult status.

No, though there would need to be some way to screen out people who were obviously not ready to save on funds.
That is still very arbitrary, even more so than the current AoC.

Quote:
The problem of an arbitrary limit still exists. The problem with laws in general is that you're trying to ascribe arbitrary rules to something as complex as human psychology and behavior (in this case, maturity). This is one case where I feel it has a real negative impact on nearly everyone at some point. I may not have the best solution, but the important thing is that I think there needs to be a dialogue on it, and it's something that doesn't even get discussed because politicians are too worried about their reputations.

Like I said, I think the most important thing is to talk about the issue and get some ideas up. Most people don't even acknowledge this as a problem, but it definitely causes some very real harm.
I think you're overstating the importance of this "problem" and then trying to over complicate it. Heck, the presumption that sex is a psychological thing is just too much - when your body is ready, that's it. You don't have to be in a certain state of mind to have sex, or meet anyone's arbitrary standards of maturity - your body just has to be physically mature. It's how everyone ever, since the dawn of humanity, has known someone is ready. Adding anything else just to please whingers is just pointless. It''s how we got into this current situation in the first place.

Your problem is the different privileges we're afforded by the government based upon age, which you consider arbitrary, correct? Why then do you propose a solution that requires MORE government involvement? In the instance of sex, for instance, I'd rather everyone get married first, but to have the government enforce that would be absolutely ridiculous. Take the government hands out of it, and let families and individuals decide upon what they want to do, how they want to raise their kids, what they'll accept in their communities, etc. What you're proposing is way too much and will actually go against your desires in the end.

How often do they even enforce AoC laws anyway? It shouldn't even be an issue because there is barely anyone who even cares.

the restriction against those under-21 drinking actually isn't that bad though - 21 is the age your liver stops developing, iirc. It is the last of all your organs to finish developing.
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Brittani
Pokefan for life!! (:

Nature: Calm
Hmm sex probably is not as common as terrorism, murder, drug abuse, domestic violence, and suicide because sex is a personal thing between two people (or more I suppose) and you should have the choice whether or not to talk about it if you desire. Doesn't mean anyone is going to listen nor care. As stated before, we don't want to hear about it but we also don't need to know what you ate last night, etc. End of Story. (Probably should have worded that better)

You should be able to talk about sex as freely as you wish. I'm not saying this is socially acceptable, in which case it is not, but nothing should stop you from talking about it just as nothing should stop you from talking about your relationships. Honestly, if someone randomly walks up to me and points out a man that they had intercourse with the other night and went into detail, that may disturb me a small amount but that's freedom of speech right there. It's not like she said she was going to kill me or anything. There's no hidden threat. To me, if you say someone should not be able to talk about something, that goes against certain rights, depending on what it is. Sex is natural and apart of life, just as food and clothes and should be treated as such. Nothing more, nothing less.

Children need to be educated about sex at an early age. I can't even emphasize this enough. Parents need to learn how to be a parent and start teaching their children about sex. That means that when they start asking them what's what, they should not skip over the "Private parts" but treat it as any other body part. It also means that they need to teach them about STD's and protection.

I also think that if both partners consent to sex, it should be legal. This is their decision. No one else's. Who are you to decide for them? It's their body. Not yours.

"Peace under an illusion is not true peace. It's only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it." - Gaara ♥

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Esper

Quote:
Oh, those dirty 19th-century reformers wanting to make it so that 12 year-olds couldn't be forced into sexual relationships they weren't ready for. Clearly they are the same as current day feminists (even though a century has passed) who only want to create troublesomely evil government bureaucracy. After all, feminists and their goals don't change over time.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
My tone was sarcastic, admittedly, but the main point I was trying to make was that there clearly are issues with abolishing age of consent.

Quote:
Don't know about what you think of your government as a whole, but I honestly think the U.S. (or many other first, even second world countries) government(s) knows better than "we" do. If you don't believe so, then that's fine with me.

Quote:
Also, the fact that 13-14 year olds giggle during an awkward class room environment where a teacher who nobody would want to think of in a sexual context is trying to teach you about sex does not necessarily mean that they are unprepared to handle the act itself. I think the giggling would be more to do with the awkward dynamic in the classroom rather than the inability to fathom what to do with the parts.
I'd imagine majority of humans wouldn't want to do something that feels awkward. Furthermore, I think the age of consent law right now is fine as is, because I think it'll help (teenage pregnancies, etc.) more than hurt (I guess... some that want hot teen action?). If you disagree, then I guess you could conduct a world census to see if the world thinks age of consent is unnecessary, and if majority agrees, show the results to your country's Supreme Court to have the age of consent law revoked, if you really want age of consent to go away.

Last edited by 2Cool4Mewtwo; December 31st, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old December 31st, 2011, 11:38 PM
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote:
Having sex is a privilege now? Using your body the way it was intended require government approval? You don't find that ridiculous at all, to require people to have a sex permit like a drivers license?
It's a compromise. It's the same as the current system but with a way to get "early access," so to say. I don't see the harm, it's not like the permit system would prevent you from just waiting out the period until you're 16.

Quote:
That is still very arbitrary, even more so than the current AoC.
How is asking questions to gauge someone's mental readiness for adulthood arbitrary? It solves the exact problem people have with lowering age of consent.

Quote:
I think you're overstating the importance of this "problem" and then trying to over complicate it. Heck, the presumption that sex is a psychological thing is just too much - when your body is ready, that's it.
The problem is arbitrary limits. I agree that sex isn't necessarily a psychological thing, but if you look through the thread, nobody else seems to agree, even when I specifically use the word "necessarily."
Quote:
You don't have to be in a certain state of mind to have sex, or meet anyone's arbitrary standards of maturity - your body just has to be physically mature. It's how everyone ever, since the dawn of humanity, has known someone is ready. Adding anything else just to please whingers is just pointless. It''s how we got into this current situation in the first place.
I agree, more or less. Good luck convincing the other 299 million people here of that. Compromise isn't necessarily permanent. The status quo rarely changes significantly all at once; I think this would be a reasonable compromise that would put our system on the right track and address the opposition's main concerns.

Quote:
Your problem is the different privileges we're afforded by the government based upon age, which you consider arbitrary, correct? Why then do you propose a solution that requires MORE government involvement?
Government involvement isn't necessarily arbitrary, that's just silly. What's arbitrary are specific age limits. The reason these limits are in place (supposedly) is that people under the limit aren't mentally prepared. I'm trying to make a solution that addresses peoples' concerns while still moving in the right direction. And, to be honest, I think some of these concerns have merit. I'm not so sure that every single kid is ready to have sex the second they hit puberty.

Quote:
In the instance of sex, for instance, I'd rather everyone get married first, but to have the government enforce that would be absolutely ridiculous. Take the government hands out of it, and let families and individuals decide upon what they want to do, how they want to raise their kids, what they'll accept in their communities, etc.
What you're proposing is anarchy and has all the traditional problems associated with it. What if someone has sex with a girl who, in his community, is considered fair game, but who, in her community, is considered underage? Furthermore, how was that kid to know that it wasn't tolerable in her community?

Quote:
What you're proposing is way too much and will actually go against your desires in the end.

How often do they even enforce AoC laws anyway? It shouldn't even be an issue because there is barely anyone who even cares.
I think it will appease the opposition (at least aside from implementation concerns) while offering enough freedom to those who believe they are ready for it.

In the US, AoC is enforced relatively strictly and the consequences are severely out of proportion with the offense. You get put on the sex offender's list for "statutory rape" and more or less blacklisted so you can't get a job.

Quote:
the restriction against those under-21 drinking actually isn't that bad though - 21 is the age your liver stops developing, iirc. It is the last of all your organs to finish developing.
If that's true, it makes sense, but I haven't heard of places like France having significantly more liver problems in the general population.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:53 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
I think sex is only tabooed because of the censorship religion had put upon it. However, I still believe in the no sex before marriage, because that is really ungentlemanly.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
lacella
monsters & macarons.

Send a message via AIM to lacella Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to lacella
sex is a LOOOOT less tabooed now than it was even, say, twenty years ago - but still pretty tabooed - in some circles. i have friends who discuss anything and everything openly as if they were talking about food.

as for the population that still does consider it taboo (moreso than suicide, violence etc.) is because of history, to be honest. most probably the victorian era, because last i checked, the bible talks openly about sex, pleasure, incest, etc. added onto that long line of tradition is the fact that most people have the ability to feel pleasure from sex. there's a guilt surrounding the fact that sex is pleasurable. violence? the majority agree it's wrong, terrible, makes you feel bad, so it's fine, it's in the open. the other examples mentioned are examples of what the majority of people view as something just plainly bad, and can all publically agree on. sex is like a weird secret humans have. hey, let's talk about this taboo thing which we secretly want but pretend we don't really know much about it or don't want to touch on.

or at least, that's my little view on it.

how freely one should talk about it should depend on the people they're with or the place they're in. it's better to be kind and considerate than someone who believes they're always right. sure you might have the right to talk about sex 24/7 but you're also a douchebag and creepy if you do that. so the goal is just being appropriate. some people don't feel comfortable talking about it because of bad experiences, etc. it's not nice to bring it up if someone doesn't feel good.

sex ed, right before or during puberty, as teen pregnancies are rampant these days. sexual consent i personally think is for population control and the fact that emotional maturity, financial stability, and the overall practical ability to raise a potential unwanted pregnancy does play a huge part in someone being able to make well-informed decisions. i've seen some 25 year olds make terrible decisions, but the chances of them being more financially stable and emotionally equipped to raise a child are of course, much higher.

|| tumblr || writing || cute || trouble ||
thank you luke for italicizing my name! xx

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
I think sex is only tabooed because of the censorship religion had put upon it. However, I still believe in the no sex before marriage, because that is really ungentlemanly.
Marriage is (originally, at least) a religious institution. Some of us aren't religious and would still like to produce offspring. There's legal marriage, but still, I should be able to do what I want with my body, married or not.

Quote:

Quote:

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Sodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cool4Mewtwo View Post
Don't know about what you think of your government as a whole, but I honestly think the U.S. (or many other first, even second world countries) government(s) knows better than "we" do. If you don't believe so, then that's fine with me.
If you're happy to blindly follow along with whatever your government decides for you because "they know better", then that's between you and your government. But again, you've missed the point. Even if they do know better (and I completely disagree with the notion that a government knows better than its populace simply by virtue of being a government), it's still not their concern. These are our bodies and our minds with which to do whatever we please and they have no business whatsoever making laws that tell us any differently than that.

Sexual pleasure or gratification is a bodily function that we should have access to from the moment we desire it. If both parties consent to this, then it is not for the government as a third party to tell us that we are not allowed to use our own bodily functions, and any attempts to do so are nothing more than a restriction of the liberty which they so proudly claim to support.

The role of governments should be to make laws that prevent people from harming others against their will, and nothing more. What we do with our bodies and at what age we do it is our business exclusively.

Old January 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Esper

Quote:
If you're happy to blindly follow along with whatever your government decides for you because "they know better", then that's between you and your government. But again, you've missed the point. Even if they do know better (and I completely disagree with the notion that a government knows better than its populace simply by virtue of being a government), it's still not their concern. These are our bodies and our minds with which to do whatever we please and they have no business whatsoever making laws that tell us any differently than that.

Sexual pleasure or gratification is a bodily function that we should have access to from the moment we desire it. If both parties consent to this, then it is not for the government as a third party to tell us that we are not allowed to use our own bodily functions, and any attempts to do so are nothing more than a restriction of the liberty which they so proudly claim to support.

The role of governments should be to make laws that prevent people from harming others against their will, and nothing more. What we do with our bodies and at what age we do it is our business exclusively.
But how can you decide who can and can't consent to having sex if not by a third party and/or some outside set of standards? Unless you believe that everyone, regardless of whatever, can consent. I don't believe a 10 year old can consent. They may understand what sex is, but they're still maturing mentally (as in their brain is still not finished developing), physically, and socially. That's why we need something to prevent people from doing harm to one another or to themselves by accident.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Sodom

Education can play a great role in this. More than just the inner workings of it all. The 10 year olds can be educationally equipped to know when they are ready to take such steps - not that many 10 year olds would be interested enough in sex for this to be that much of an issue. I would prefer to see sex ruled by education rather than legal restriction which essentially places an external party in control of our bodies until they feel we are ready to take the reins for ourselves.

Old January 15th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Gamzee
light my fire

It's a perfectly natural thing that's quite lovely to partake in. We can thank censorship and the government choosing to teach very little about it and instead advocate abstinence for it being seen as weird and taboo in modern day society.
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
femtrooper
Starfleet Commander

Nature: Quirky
Honestly, I think it's taboo in western cultures due to religion. This is why gay marriage is not accepted in the United States, or certain sexual positions are not legal. It's complete garbage. I am so open about sex because it's a natural thing...in fact, it's one of the most natural things human beings do!!! I am an atheist and I do not agree with religion, thus when I hear things like, 'masturbation is evil'...it's like ARE YOU SERIOUS? I hate stuff like that.

In Canada, we are taught about safe sex, but it looks like in the United States they are taught about abstinence...the roots there are religious...and that is in public schools. Terrible!!! It's obvious that kids are going to have sex so teach them how to do it safely.

I wish sex wasn't so taboo. It's normal! It's also a wonderful thing; a beautiful thing. Why is it so condemned? Makes me so mad. It's weird because if you mention something like an erection people get all upset, but if you talk about some murder it's okay? WHY? Why isn't the murder a taboo thing and the erection an okay thing. ALL GUYS GET THEM! Argh. I can't change the way people think, but I just wish sex was more of a normal day to day conversation and not a hush hush thing. I hate how it's so secretive...like, "Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I have sex!" Well, no kidding, you're human. I'm proud to say I have sex and that I love my boyfriend, but you can't just blurt that out in day to day life because I would be being dirty and rude, yet I can discuss terrorism, murders and whatever else and I'm just talking about the news. I don't know what else to say, but it does drive me nuts that sex is such a 'under the covers' subject. Cultures that are not dominated by religion don't find sex to be a taboo thing...so once religious beliefs go away, I think that views on sex won't be so hush hush. Look at your grandparent's/great grandparent's generations...sex was between a man and a woman, you didn't talk about it, and you only did it if you were married. Plus birth control was a sin and every seed was sacred, yadda yadda yadda...all those beliefs' roots are in religion. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is. *sigh*

Currently playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 4: The Golden
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Fluorescent Dinosaur
V.I.P.

Nature: Naughty
I think it's silly. We live in a culture/world that makes sex into this naughty, "evil" concept, which leads to a lot of sexual repression, sex/**** shaming, and other completely pointless things.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Halmtier
THE HOBO

Nature: Impish
Sex as an act needs to be taught and approached with an air of maturity, but the action itself shouldn't be encouraged by anyone to young to deal with the potential consequences of it. (STD's, Pregnancy) By Hiding the sexual acts kids and teens might encounter, they would then approach them without knowledge of how to do it safely- so I don't think hiding it is a good thing. But I don't agree with 13 year olds getting it on either.

I find each country takes it differently as well. In Brittan and to a lesser extent, Canada, sex and nudity isn't as taboo. Sex is talked about and taught in schools as early as elementary level (I was given sex Ed at grade 4!) and safe sex was encouraged over all else. But in the US it seems that kids are just told about the science behind it, then told not to do it. Period. That seems like asking for trouble to me.

I don't feel that sexual acts between two consenting adults should be shameful though. Everyone has sexual urges and it's a natural part of our body and mind.
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I just want to you, so some of you are saying that kids in my school, high school, even younger, middle school, are fine to have sex?

I really think they're too young and have far more pressing issues. Sex has become a game for them and it's disgusting. A guy becomes a girls personal ride because she satisfies him, no. Urgh, society today T^T
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Akio123
Sadness forever...

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Akio123 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Akio123 Send a message via Yahoo to Akio123 Send a message via Skype™ to Akio123
Sex is completely natural. I mean it's how we are all born (well...minus the test tube babies, but that still involves reproductive cells...). I mean it is something that does need to be taught rather than just found out on the streets. I don't know why it's so taboo. What needs to be taught is safe sex, use of a condom (to reduce the chances of STI transference and pregnancy), and that it's okay to have to sex.

It seems most people lose their virginity between the ages of 16-19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolesc..._United_States (Yeah it's wiki, but I'm not going to sift through hundreds of sites), I mean sometimes its urges, sometimes it's peer pressure, regardless it happens. Despite how much knowledge is readily available to people, many still don't know how to use a condom, feel awkward buying them, etc. I mean this way the youth are at least practicing safe sex.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Pudz
Incredible Edible Vegetarian

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to Pudz
I truly don't see the big deal about sex. Not in as much as what society makes a big fuss about, as in taboo and the like. More along the lines of... I guess I don't /get/ it. I've never really enjoyed it. The thing that bothers me is that I can be almost guaranteed that if I mention this to anybody, I'll be met with "oh, you're just not doing it right". Why is it so hard for people to believe that some people just don't enjoy the act?

I digress.

I don't think it should be taboo, and I don't think it should be expected. It's just sex. It's no different to going for a walk with someone you really like spending time with, or beating a co-op game together.

In-fact, I rather enjoy those things /more/ ♥
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:37 PM
Unforgettable
Melodies of Life

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Unforgettable Send a message via Skype™ to Unforgettable
It is the year 2012. I don't see the big deal about talking about sex. It's not like that many people actually wait until marriage anymore. (If you are one of them doing that, then that is your choice, I mean no disrespect by that). They curse, show images of war, and everything else in the world on TV, but it kills me that they act like sex is so taboo. That it's horrible to talk about. It's natural, and they even teach sex ed in schools at a young age. (Mind you it's just what sex is and that they shouldn't be doing it.) I think it's better that the kids be taught about it and how to have safe sex since they are all having sex anyways at such a young age. You see young teens pregnant every day, and if they were taught about it instead of it being hushed up, it could have been different.

Remember the way I was, for me.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here