• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paul or Gary?

Paul or Gary?

• Paul

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Gary

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I know this discussion was already held in the other thread I made, but in that thread, we were pitting all of Ash's main rivals in general. But if we were to pit JUST Paul and Gary together in a six-and-six Pokemon battle, who do you think would be the victor?

Also, unlike the other thread I made, I added a poll in the post too... ;)

Anyway, here's MY answer:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
Years
@drarixio - That's why I'm asking a Mod to delete this thread so I could repost this thread with a poll.... I forgot to add a poll again...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
I want to say Paul... But I dunno~ Gary can probably hold his own pretty well. I'm going to go with Gary... He seems less ignorant.. or arrogant. One of 'em...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'd have to say Paul, seems to have a somewhat stronger team IMO and I liked his personality a bit more than Gary's TBH.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
It's either... "GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSER" or an utter prick (at least that's how I view Paul from what I've seen).

It's a really tough choice, but I chose Gary because I grew up with older generations.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Gary, at least he made a decent friendship with Ash. Paul's attitude was just awful and so was his character IMO.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
"Gary, Gary, he's our man. If he can't do it, no one can! Go...Gary!~♥".

Yes, my choice is Gary.
Gary is not like Paul. Paul has a awful attitude while Gary is just smug.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Gary waned over time, whereas Paul is much stronger than before with his heck of a team. So, paul it is for me. but I like Gary better.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2012
Gary will always be Gary @#%^ing Oak...That master of Troll logic and King of Rule breaking. I always thought of Gary as a Joke Villain though, never a True obstacle stopping Ash. As where with Paul, he was serious. He was determined. He wasn't going to let some one like Ash get in his way. He's not a Villain, but he sure is a good antagonist.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Paul.

His team is stronger, he seems to carry a much more mature personality, plus it never felt like a real rivarly between Ash and Gary in the first place. At least with Paul he gave Ash a run for his money.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
Years
in a battle against ash, paul, he seems to have a much stronger team then gary
but gary will always be my favourite rival

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
I don't know what is question.

Anyway Paul is more irritating than Gary. Actually I hate Paul. Paul is so negative and he doesn't care about his Pokémon. Gary is more like troll.

Snivy063

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
I really didn't like Paul, especially his attitude towards Pokemon, he's just cold. At least Gary cares about his Pokemon and loves them. So, I guess it's pretty obvious whom I'm gonna pick. ^^:;

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Paul is so negative and he doesn't care about his Pokémon. Gary is more like troll.

Haha, this is true. This is what I love about both of them. Paul and Gary are both unique characters, in the Pokemon anime at least.

For a battle and being completely unbiased...I have no idea XD They're both good trainers, but Paul has travelled to more regions than Gary, who knows. It would be a great episode to watch, though.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Aww, looks like everyone forgot about Paul's character development. I really liked Paul because of how well he made everyone hate him. I thought it was fantastic and he was extremely different from Ash's other rivals. That being said, I'll edge out and just say Paul. I think he has a better trained team, even though half the damage they take is made by themselves. Paul's strategy is also pretty solid. He watches tape like a pro athlete.

Back