The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Forever

Think about how Black City and White Forest was a highly advertised point when they were first released, and now look at them. Unless you're actively playing the games, either your White Forest & Black City, depending on your version, is empty.

So! Do you think the system of have-local-wifi-or-empty-area works? How would've you changed it, if you had the power? And do you think these two should've been less of a selling point in regards to version differences, considering how for most of us, we can't fully utilise them? Discuss!

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:30 AM
waters_echo

The answer is: "This is stupid"
Mostly because I cannot use the game's WiFi because we have the wrong sort of router.

I didn't know about the time clause on them, and because I spend so much time grinding (it can take me months to get anywhere in my games) by the time I got to White Forest it was long since deserted (save Azurill Person), and I was somewhat surprised (I found an item in there once, though. Still not sure what triggered the spawning of it)

If I could change it I would either extend the limit (or, y'know, at least make it clearer that there is one)... or make it so that the things have a greater compatibility with different routers.
Mostly the router option (because I cannot do so much without a connection.)
(Ignoring the fact that the closest person who I know even owns one of the games lives over two blocks away)
It would also be nice if it at least rotated the person you have left over once in a while.

Ah, so much hype they made about something so ridiculous.
Fact is? They're... not boring, as such, but... I dunno. Maybe they could have made some sort of link? Integrated it to the Kami village? Done... something. I don't know. I like the people and all, but the fact that there's no reasonable explanation behind these mysterious growing areas that make no sense irks me.

And now you know what I do when I get bored~
(read: have far too much fun with overlay layers)
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:52 AM
TheRedeemed
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
I agree that it was a stupid idea to have the time you took remove people from your town, because I love taking my time to find the diffrent Pokemon in the area and raise them to a respectable level before heading off to the next Gym.

If anything, I would have:
A) Let it be like a normal city, without it being time-sensitive

B) Made it the reverse; the longer you take to get there, the more people would be there, because it means that you're not just speeding through the game to get to the end, but actually spending the time to enjoy it

C) At the very least let friends with the Wi-Fi long distance connection visit the towns. I don't have anyone around me that I care to associate with who has Pokemon, so its really frustrating...

I agree that it was a stupid idea to have the time you took remove people from your town, because I love taking my time to find the diffrent Pokemon in the area and raise them to a respectable level before heading off to the next Gym.

If anything, I would have:
A) Let it be like a normal city, without it being time-sensitive

B) Made it the reverse; the longer you take to get there, the more people would be there, because it means that you're not just speeding through the game to get to the end, but actually spending the time to enjoy it

C) At the very least let friends with the Wi-Fi long distance connection visit the towns. I don't have anyone around me that I care to associate with who has Pokemon, so its really frustrating...

Avatar credits go to West @ FurAffinity.net

Last edited by TheRedeemed; January 4th, 2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Sairento Tamashii
A man protects what he loves

Nature: Adamant
I didn't understand why White Forest got pokemon but Black city got nothing useful.

Old January 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO. Word up. View Post
I didn't understand why White Forest got pokemon but Black city got nothing useful.
I beg to differ....Black City got very useful items in the market such as evolution stones and rare items that sell for a lot of money.

When I think the name of "White Forest" I think that it is misleading in a way.

Anyways, the only thing I would change about White Forest and Black City is the Entralink capabilities because I personally do not like them.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Khrysta

To Grow and Expand Black City and White Forest you have to use the Infered Wireless LOCAL link ups. You don't use Wifi Routers at all. Just have to go to the Entrelink and enter a friend's world that way and talk to various NPCs that you see walking around.

That being said, I used my Brother's game a lot for testing and I've made Black City HUGE. Even after not playing it for a few months my Black City is still as large as it has been. I have a bunch of people to battle daily. Its not a concept I liked but having the extra battles makes the after game play a little more bearable without the VS Seeker.
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I really disliked Black City. It had been hyped as this place where I could get loads of cool items and such; when I got there, it just seemed like an empty shell. That the screen goes into high res only highlights the emptiness of such a place. After battling the trainers, the whole experience was a complete let-down. At least in White Forest there could have been some cool Pokemon to capture; Black City was just desolate and boring. The feature seems to have been a real misfire, to be honest, and I hope that Game Freak learns from this mistake.
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I liked the music and the building infrastructure in Black City. That's about it though. I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been mentioned already.

Last edited by Overlord Drakow; January 5th, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nature: Impish
I like White Forest because you can catch some cute Pokemon there, but I don't see the point of Black City. It's boring and there isn't really much to do. Maybe a few more features would have been a batter idea for those areas.

"The difference between receiving respect and receiving hate is just an eyelash." - Lee Qri

Old January 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Black City/White Forest sounded like cool concepts to me, but maintaining the people I brought in was a chore for me (I had to come in to White Forest and talk to everyone to keep them from leaving). Free items from White Forest every now and then was a nice bonus, though.

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Raichupacabra
Villain

Nature: Hasty
Hated it. No one around me likes to actually play Pokemon so my city was a ghost town.
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
I didn't like it because, not only do you have to be near other people, which was doable for me, it had to be different people. Because new people never spawned in your game, if you wanted every person you had to link up with a bunch of different people to see if they have the people you want.

I'm curious as to how well it works in Japan, but it's a terrible idea outside of there.
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Kotowari
Sacred Blood

Nature: Calm
Not that much of a fan of Black City. I was excited to go explore this town (as it was quite hyped before the release of Black) but it was such a let-down to arrive in a city where there was nothing more than a Pokémon center. Such space wasted. : <
I really took my time to enjoy Black, I haven't had so much fun playing a new Pokémon game since Emerald.
Black City was just kinda...meh.

Fine, I was playing on an Emulator, but having the game IRL (which I really want, it just recently that I got my DS) wouldn't change anything. I don't know anyone close to me who has the game.... so I doubt I'll be able to find much entertainment in Black City.
I like the idea of more social interaction with other people, but at least make sure that everyone (even those without close-by Pokémon fans) can enjoy 99,9% of the game's extra's.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Nature: Quirky
I thought it was poorly executed. I had White, and there's nothing at all to do in White Forest once you've caught all the Pokemon available to you. And because of the leveling system and how it took me forever to level grind, my White Forest was near deserted when I finally made it there. And if not for my brother having Black, I would have never expanded it with the three people that I was able to bring over.

Really, it would have been a lot better if there was actually something to do there and if it wasn't dependent on how many people you know with the other game and dependent on how fast you play through it...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Leavanny
YOU S3T MY SOUL 4L1GHT

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Leavanny
Having heard of the problems that some people I know have experienced with Black City/White Forest, I never actually tried it out - in fact, the only times I've ever been to Black City have been when I was just passing through to get to the useful parts of Unova.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM
flubbateios
Woof.

Nature: Docile
I think it is stupid, you should not need external things to play a game to its full extent, I would bring back the Safari Zone over White forest, since you are free inside it, the White Forest/Black City was a good idea, Game Freak just need to make it more classic, I like seeing stuff from R/S/E being brought back, others who play retro pokemon would also get a pleasant suprise.THAT is how I would have changed it, overall Black/White has disappointed me in storyline, so I don't have too many positive comments lol

Last edited by flubbateios; January 6th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I thought the highly highlighted places in the games could've been done a lot better. The places had many flaws. To keep people, players would have to play the game almost every day, otherwise they would all start to disappear. When the player first gets the game, sure, the first couple of weeks they may do that, but soon after that, most people don't touch their game until they want a nostalgic hit, a few months later. Another problem was the maximum people number, meaning if you went to a Nintendo event, you couldn't get all the people while you were there. It also took quite a long time to invite people to your game. Almost certainly disallowing connectivity with strangers walking past, this is also made longer by having to take turns. The final problem of the top of my head was how the areas assumed that the player lived near or had access to many other people with the game to get new people, which a lot of people do not.
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Pingouin_7
This account is now inactive

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by waters_echo View Post
The answer is: "This is stupid"
Mostly because I cannot use the game's WiFi because we have the wrong sort of router.

I didn't know about the time clause on them, and because I spend so much time grinding (it can take me months to get anywhere in my games) by the time I got to White Forest it was long since deserted (save Azurill Person), and I was somewhat surprised (I found an item in there once, though. Still not sure what triggered the spawning of it)

If I could change it I would either extend the limit (or, y'know, at least make it clearer that there is one)... or make it so that the things have a greater compatibility with different routers.
Mostly the router option (because I cannot do so much without a connection.)
(Ignoring the fact that the closest person who I know even owns one of the games lives over two blocks away)
It would also be nice if it at least rotated the person you have left over once in a while.

Ah, so much hype they made about something so ridiculous.
Fact is? They're... not boring, as such, but... I dunno. Maybe they could have made some sort of link? Integrated it to the Kami village? Done... something. I don't know. I like the people and all, but the fact that there's no reasonable explanation behind these mysterious growing areas that make no sense irks me.
Your entire argument (therefore your entire post) is rendered invalid by the fact they don't use Wi-Fi connection at all.
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
I have never understood those two areas. Why put them in there where it will be empty most of the time? So for me, it is NOT A GOOD ADDITION to the game. Undella town has a lot more to offer me.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Deathmaker56
Beginning Trainer

This is my first forum post and i agree they were a let down
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
SamTheSnorlax
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I used to have alot of people in my black city but now there is nobody.. why?

~Black/White Friend Code: 4427-0869-5686~
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Halcyon
peace and serenity

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheSnorlax View Post
I used to have alot of people in my black city but now there is nobody.. why?
If you have not interacted with them after a certain number of days, they would disappear, I believe. The number of days varies with each person. I find that a pointless feature - it's like I have to battle them every single day just to keep them in my city. :( The music there was my least favourite as well - it has a very dark theme to it.

However, the shops were kind of nice in Black City - I get to purchase things like evolutionary stones (even though in my city there was only Moon Stone D:). And the 10,000 PokéDollars incentive for every 10 trainers beaten, wow! $___$

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Conaire
Psychobilly Punk

Nature: Lonely
I think they can be perfectly executed, but rather the problem is that most people aren't going to waste there time in a Forest talking to people and capturing level 5 pokemon to grind when you can't even level grind in White, Now with Black, It is easier to grind and buy evolution stones, even though you can't capture the pokemon that White has in White Forest. I know they were trying to balance White and Black, and make them possibly more balanced between each other. Alas, you need Entralink for this, and Entralink is LOCAL. If it was Wi-Fi Wireless, It would be more perfect.

Old January 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
It's a good concept, but extremely poorly implemented (as some others said in this thread already).

With this in mind, I hope the third game can step this up.

Old January 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
I am gonna have to agree. Both places are somewhat pointless. Now my White Forst is full as crap becaus eI took people from my black vesion to my white version. Black City would have been nice,but the battles are weak and I'd rather go to the Nimbasa Stadiums to train. I didn't really see a nice point to them.

I would have put more useful stuff in them some how,but not sure what.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links