• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Developing] Pokémon: Homeward Bound™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
I really love that characters have pictures when you speak to them, a very cool feature that I might have to add to my hack. The title kinda made me think of the movie with talking animals called Homeward Bound, which is why I clicked on the thread in the first place. You may want to change the title again, as it could cause confusion with others. That said, the title does actually have significance to the story which is something that rarely happens around here. People seem to just pick a fancy color and use it, while your title is actually creative. That's about all the criticism I can offer for now, but I'll keep watching as this develops. Good luck.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I really love that characters have pictures when you speak to them, a very cool feature that I might have to add to my hack. The title kinda made me think of the movie with talking animals called Homeward Bound, which is why I clicked on the thread in the first place. You may want to change the title again, as it could cause confusion with others. That said, the title does actually have significance to the story which is something that rarely happens around here. People seem to just pick a fancy color and use it, while your title is actually creative. That's about all the criticism I can offer for now, but I'll keep watching as this develops. Good luck.

Yeah I always like the fact you could "see" who you are talkin t, so I thought I would do that, it takes a while to get everyones face graphics and position them and so forth but it makes the game look somewhat better when there are a few characters in an event... I no that film, I love that film, Sassy the cat haha! But I know the film, and I can see what you mean, but never the less, that title justifies what I hope the character to achieve, and if anybody gets a Pokemon game confused with a film about a cat and 2 dogs It would actually make my day and I would laugh haha! I did the whole color thing, and it is just being lazy, but, its a good place to start for any begginer game maker, person... I have a huge update comin soon! Will post all updates and pictures this week, I hope. X :classic:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Advice I can give is that if your gonna use those tiles your game might look a little better if you restrict the game screen size to the smallest size... i think its 240 x 180 im not sure.. but other than that good job so far... dunno if the name really fits the story.. but keep at it

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Advice I can give is that if your gonna use those tiles your game might look a little better if you restrict the game screen size to the smallest size... i think its 240 x 180 im not sure.. but other than that good job so far... dunno if the name really fits the story.. but keep at it

Restrict to a smaller screen size! Why do you suggest that? X

KingCharizard

Years
Well shrink the game screen test it out and look how much better the game quality looks. its was just a suggestion the choice is up to you

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
If there's one thing I've always wanted, it's to be able to play Pokémon on a tiny, hard to see screen on my computer.

KingCharizard

Years
If there's one thing I've always wanted, it's to be able to play Pokémon on a tiny, hard to see screen on my computer.
Was this reply necessary?
Its not an issue if you think about it, its more like the gameboy screen size. and if i do remember correctly pokemon Raptor plays with the small screen size... Just gotta keep an open mind. I actually prefer the smaller screen resolution but its obvious that you do not. That is fine we all have what we like, but don't knock an idea because you don't like it.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I too find it hard to play on a small screen, you could keep the same screen size, but increase resolution, to make the pixels look smaller.

essentially "zooming out" the game. but that would probably require a decent amount of work.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Its not an issue if you think about it, its more like the gameboy screen size. and if i do remember correctly pokemon Raptor plays with the small screen size... Just gotta keep an open mind. I actually prefer the smaller screen resolution but its obvious that you do not. That is fine we all have what we like, but don't knock an idea because you don't like it.
The default controls with Essentials allowed you to play at a 640x480 resolution, but with that weird border surrounding your game. It's really not that bad, though. I still feel more engaged with the game even though the fullscreen size is reduced, so I don't think screen dimensions is a big issue.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Well shrink the game screen test it out and look how much better the game quality looks. its was just a suggestion the choice is up to you

I'm not too sure about the screen resizing, I actually don't like playing a real tiny screen myself, sometimes I feel I want my game to play in full screen haha!

Not really appropriate, but nevertheless, a valid argument is within the quote...

That's how I feel about alot of fan-games, I too judge because of looks, or spelling... But I will always give the game a shot, if I feel someting can be made better I will give advice and such... But yes I think that mite have been the game I played with a tiny screena and I can't see nothing (I can, I'm just saying, it's small haha.) The smallest TV in my house is 38', so this is understandable in my view haha.

I too find it hard to play on a small screen, you could keep the same screen size, but increase resolution, to make the pixels look smaller.

essentially "zooming out" the game. but that would probably require a decent amount of work.

Sounds alot of work to be honest haha! It seems an extra work load that is unnecessary to me...

The default controls with Essentials allowed you to play at a 640x480 resolution, but with that weird border surrounding your game. It's really not that bad, though. I still feel more engaged with the game even though the fullscreen size is reduced, so I don't think screen dimensions is a big issue.

Not sure if this is aimed at me or if it was just a comment...

UPDATE:

I took a major time out, I think for almost, exactly a month, from being on Pokecommunity... But this was to completely update my game;

Tilesets...
Character sets updated from old style to new style...
All maps are now HGSS tilesets to go with the style of my characters,
All maps have also been somewhat edited to have a different feel, as the game isn't a remake of any other...
Events have been update for new maps and such...
Added more custom scripts, forget which haha! so will have to bare with me on that one...

Pictures are in post 1, will keep you updated as I progress.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
New Screenshots. All posted in OP.
12Pictures.png
20Pictures.png

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The Low-res facesets are killing me. It's particularly bad with Officer Jenny, as the pixels are so screwed up that her face looks almost unrecognizable.

Are you basing this off the anime, a little?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
The Low-res facesets are killing me. It's particularly bad with Officer Jenny, as the pixels are so screwed up that her face looks almost unrecognizable.

At the moment, the face graphics are not high importance, I will be wanting a new release when all tilesets and character sets are better and also when the events are bug free and battles are working and areas are error free... these are my goals for the time being! If anybody is willing to save me some time and help with the face graphics, be my guest... Many thanks and credits to that person...

I'm just learning how to create sprite sheets, as you can see, I've created Jenny, Jessie, James and the Heroine, from those pictures!

Are you basing this off the anime, a little?

What makes you ask this?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
What makes you ask this?
The fact that you are including Jessie + James and Officer Jenny, both of which originated in the anime? Then again, they were in Pokemon Yellow, which was mainly based off the anime a little.

For the face graphics, maybe you can find someone who is good at replicating the Mystery dungeon faceset style, since it appears the cleanest out of all your other facesets, plus it would be neat to see human characters in that style. The major problem you have with the face sets is that they are inconsistent.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
For the face graphics, maybe you can find someone who is good at replicating the Mystery dungeon faceset style, since it appears the cleanest out of all your other facesets, plus it would be neat to see human characters in that style. The major problem you have with the face sets is that they are inconsistent.

Yeah I know this :(, but I myself am learning to sprite, faces and hands are my worse things, hair is a problem too! But I am learning.

The fact that you are including Jessie + James and Officer Jenny, both of which originated in the anime? Then again, they were in Pokemon Yellow, which was mainly based off the anime a little.

Oh I get the question now... In that sense, yes, it is somewhat based off the anime, I like those characters (I like how the anime has Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny in every city/town), so I will include them in my game, I'm sure when you come across your fave characters in a game, they make you smile (like when you came across Jessie and James within Pokémon Yellow.) I have alot more anime characters who make an appearence too, some only a little skit, others more story based...

Gary in my game, is not the evil little... boy (haha)... that he was in original games but keeps his personallity from the anime... Yet, he makes a lot of appearences... But, is not considered your true rival!

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
*UPDATE TIME*

Thanks for everyones comments by the way, truly helping... (sarcasm anyone!)

More New Features Added!
on Original Post.

Screenshots within the next few days of progress so far.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
I really don't like the maps, everthing is just too close. Maps need to have space for you to make your way, making them so lineal also causes the game to be boring and quite annoying.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2013
I like the tileset you are doing/collecting, I think I'll do the same. :p
But my game is 200% zoomed so I don't know if they will still look nice :(

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I really don't like the maps, everthing is just too close. Maps need to have space for you to make your way, making them so lineal also causes the game to be boring and quite annoying.

There is enough space in every map, obviously you can't see what I can see within RPGMaker itself, but there is enough space everywhere... I like a little realism, trees, bushes, rocks etc. etc.

I absolutely love this concept. I love that there's choice,
and that you can see some Pokemon roaming around.
Love the tiles, love the sprite.
EXCITED FOR THIS~~

There is lot's of choice. Thank you by the way. There are many Pokémon roaming and some Pokémon are only available through roaming (i'm not talking about legendaries.)

I like the tileset you are doing/collecting, I think I'll do the same. :p
But my game is 200% zoomed so I don't know if they will still look nice :(

I believe someone actually said for me to zoom my game in, so I can say, some people will like that look.

*UPDATE TIME*
Only a minor update of the Mystery Ball.

28Pictures.png

There is 6 different Mystery Balls each doing their own little thing...

1.) Gives you Evolution Stones [Picture is showing example.](Fire, Water, Thunder, Leaf and Moon, Stones.) $3250

2.) Offensive Stat boosts (Attack, Special Attack, Speed.) $3250

3.) Defensive Stat boosts (Defence, Special Defence, HP.) $3250

4.) Items (Potion, Super Potion, Revive, Hyper Potion, Full Restore.) $1250

5.) Happiness (Increases Immediately to 240 of 1 Pokémon.) $1000

6.) Random Pokémon (Excluding Legendaries.) $5500

Stat Boosts vary from +1 to +4 on respective stats.
Evolution Stones give you a random amount from +1 to +2.
Items will give random amounts from +1 to +5.
Happiness is, max =240, min =240.
Random Pokémon ignores legendaries and valuable Pokémon, I.E. Dratini (plus more.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back