The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Atomic Reactor's Avatar
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minnesota
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash

Advertise here
Yeah I was referring to all the nature tiles actually. I should have been specific, sorry. But yeah, all the nature tiles look just like the ones that everyone else uses. Hopefully you guys decide to make new ones to go along with the new buildings. (The buildings look wonderful by the way lol)
__________________
  #27    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
Yeah I was referring to all the nature tiles actually. I should have been specific, sorry. But yeah, all the nature tiles look just like the ones that everyone else uses. Hopefully you guys decide to make new ones to go along with the new buildings. (The buildings look wonderful by the way lol)
The nature tiles are made from scratch bar the trees iirc. But the HGSS style is quite nice. However I think we'll be keeping the style, but changing the colours if I can find a nice alternative.
  #28    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Neo-Dragon's Avatar
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Nature: Relaxed
Who has what roles on the project? I don't think it's stated in the first post.
Like who does maps? Tiles? Who is leading the project? And so on.
__________________


ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
  #29    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
The Dewitty's Avatar
The Dewitty
Developing an awesome game.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
We're not quite sure, really. At the moment, I've done pretty much everything, with some tips from Abnegation here and there. xD He joined the project after I released the thread, but I'm sure he's gonna be a great co-leader!
__________________

~Ledyba~

Last edited by The Dewitty; January 3rd, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
  #30    
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Currently I have a list of mapping and scripting to do, which is probably what I'll be doing most, but we'll probably just share everything, we're both pretty confident in all aspects of developing the game. However our specialties differ.
  #31    
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
DarkDoom3000's Avatar
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Wow, screens look really nice; the tint in the first set of screens looks very effective.

not really fond of the male character, but thats just personal taste.
__________________
Beta 0.73 is out
Thread | Website | Blog
  #32    
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:01 PM
The Dewitty's Avatar
The Dewitty
Developing an awesome game.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
Wow, screens look really nice; the tint in the first set of screens looks very effective.

not really fond of the male character, but thats just personal taste.
Both characters will be replaced, since they're both placeholders for the real awesomeness.

Just a little question, guys, Abnegation's been working on some new color to make the tiles appear less generic, what do you think?
__________________

~Ledyba~
  #33    
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Conan Edogawa's Avatar
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewitty View Post
Both characters will be replaced, since they're both placeholders for the real awesomeness.

Just a little question, guys, Abnegation's been working on some new color to make the tiles appear less generic, what do you think?
I like the colors, they help the tiles stand out. I don't know if that's an in game map or not, but if it is you may want to check the tile errors with the mountain tiles.
__________________
  #34    
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Atomic Reactor's Avatar
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minnesota
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Those colors definitely help! It will really make the game stand out nature wise!
__________________
  #35    
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21


Just revising this, and here's a sneak peek at the female hero. I did think from the beginning we needed to change colours, so I did that, how's this looking guys?
  #36    
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Ratty524's Avatar
Ratty524
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
The tiles certainly stand out with that color scheme, and the overall mood its creating is uplifting, so I think it works.

My only grip are the tiles you are using for tall grass, but it's mostly a personal preference. I liked the tall grass tiles looking the way they did with games like HGSS, because they actually looked like clumps of grass and not individual shrubs placed in a weird position on a map. It still looks nice, though, keep it up.
  #37    
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Riansky's Avatar
Riansky
Purr
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Gender: Male
The pallets looks much better right now and tiles stand out more but I'm still not sure if I do like a tree or not. But anyway female hero looks great. Hope to see more soon.
__________________
  #38    
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Rossay's Avatar
Rossay
Quack quack
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Scotland
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
The new colour-scheme is much better. I'm still unsure about the tree tile.. If you're going to use that tree, then make sure the trees don't overlap (they only overlap in HGSS because they are 3Dmodels); in 2D tiles they shouldn't really overlap.

Also, the revised heroine is good.
__________________
Pokemon X - Friend code: 1435-4688-7520
- DeviantArt -


  #39    
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Digidestined123's Avatar
Digidestined123
Hacker in training
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In a house. In a town. In a state. In a country. On a planet.
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Digidestined123
This game looks AMAZING! I'll be sure to play it when it's done!
_______________________

<a href="http://pokefarm.org/_ext/user/Darkdemon" target="_blank"><img src="http://pokefarm.org/_ext/YDZNxFZic" alt="Party image" style="width: 360px; height: 32px;" /></a>
  #40    
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossay View Post
The new colour-scheme is much better. I'm still unsure about the tree tile.. If you're going to use that tree, then make sure the trees don't overlap (they only overlap in HGSS because they are 3Dmodels); in 2D tiles they shouldn't really overlap.

Also, the revised heroine is good.
Well, I have to query this. A lot of the tiles in this game are actually 3D models, but we use them in much the same way as HGSS does; by not seeing all the perspectives. So I don't understand why we should make the trees not overlap like this since the perspective is much the same as it is in HGSS. I'm not arguing your point here, just not sure of your logic is all.
  #41    
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:17 PM
DarkDoom3000's Avatar
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
overlapping trees have always bugged me. makes no sense to have them, but nearly all of the fangames done in 4gen style have them :/

EDIT: i know thats how it's done in gen4, still bugged be because it's more noticible with the lack of "3D".
__________________
Beta 0.73 is out
Thread | Website | Blog

Last edited by DarkDoom3000; January 5th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
  #42    
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
overlapping trees have always bugged me. makes no sense to have them, but nearly all of the fangames done in 4gen style have them :/
Probably because that's how they were mapped in the 4th gen. Have a look at New Bark Town. And as I stated before, our trees are in the same perspective.
  #43    
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Rossay's Avatar
Rossay
Quack quack
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Scotland
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Well, I have to query this. A lot of the tiles in this game are actually 3D models, but we use them in much the same way as HGSS does; by not seeing all the perspectives. So I don't understand why we should make the trees not overlap like this since the perspective is much the same as it is in HGSS. I'm not arguing your point here, just not sure of your logic is all.
Yoel might be using his 3D modelling software to make the tiles, but, in the end, they are TILES. They aren't inserted into the game as models. They could overlap if the perspective changed as you walk round them; but it doesn't and hence the tiles shouldn't overlap.
__________________
Pokemon X - Friend code: 1435-4688-7520
- DeviantArt -


  #44    
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
The Dewitty's Avatar
The Dewitty
Developing an awesome game.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Yoel might be using his 3D modelling software to make the tiles, but, in the end, they are TILES. They aren't inserted into the game as models. They could overlap if the perspective changed as you walk round them; but it doesn't and hence the tiles shouldn't overlap.
We're going for a style similar to the official tiles, but orthographically viewed. So yeah, they are not 3D models, however they should look like they are.
__________________

~Ledyba~
  #45    
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
The perspective of the trees in HGSS & this game are the same, therefore we align them the same.
  #46    
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Neo-Dragon's Avatar
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Nature: Relaxed
That debate about the trees overlapping came out as soon as fan games used that 4th gen style starting with D/P.
I think it looks great guys.
I was worried the tiles reminded me of Gavin's other game (I was thinking of this image: http://fav.me/d4cegtw - nice little DA plug there lol). Clearly they are not the same colors but when I first saw the comparison shot posted earlier, I got that vibe. That worry isn't really there anymore ha.
__________________


ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
  #47    
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Atomic Reactor's Avatar
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minnesota
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
I have an idea! What if instead of having them overlapping all on the same side, you could change it up every once in a while? Have it overlap on one tree on the right, or one tree on the left, and then have trees where the leaves like... mesh together. Not overlap, just are intertwined? I think it would really make the trees look nice :)
__________________
  #48    
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM
pokepound
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
The new heroine looks so beautiful.
I really really like her!
You've done a good job with her!
  #49    
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:10 AM
The Dewitty's Avatar
The Dewitty
Developing an awesome game.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
I have an idea! What if instead of having them overlapping all on the same side, you could change it up every once in a while? Have it overlap on one tree on the right, or one tree on the left, and then have trees where the leaves like... mesh together. Not overlap, just are intertwined? I think it would really make the trees look nice
That wouldn't be an option, since we are really going for something as close to the official games as possible. Thanks for the comment, though.
__________________

~Ledyba~
  #50    
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Atomic Reactor's Avatar
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minnesota
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
What..Why? Dew, you can do so much better than the official games, why would you want to make a game at there level, when you can exceed it so easily...
__________________
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.