The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
While all of this is great and all, it's extremely important for you to turn on a 2x2 mapping grid and map by that, since that's how the 1st and 2nd gen games were mapped.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
That's what I've been trying to explain, but I don't think I can explain it to Ratty clearly enough 9__9

If you open up a Pokémon Gold rom in Goldmap, you will see what we mean by 2x2 grid. I did the same thing when Mint was called Mintgreen and this guy helped me fix it up.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
Oh no, I get it, at least now I do.

This is actually the first time I've ever used RMXP's mapping grid to get a 2x2 tile field.

But yeah, the maps I have up now are officially outdated, because I have been taking both Evil Arm's and Cilerba's advice and edited my maps accordingly, and I'm still doing so. Thank you both for your input.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Ratty524

Finally I have a playable demo for all of you to enjoy (or hate)! I am not going to post the following link on the first post until someone verifies that they can play the game correctly:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkaxeqfbk50a5gg

This demo includes:
- About 10 areas you can explore, Going up from Alpha City to Delta Village and Route 4.
- Working Sprinkler encounter system, as mentioned earlier
- 1 potential gym leader battle.
-at least 50 custom-made battle animations
- not a single, awful midi in sight.

Known issues:
- During the introduction, when the player is choosing a starter, the player character tends to change position. This should not cause the game to crash, however, as all events can pass through him/her
-Lotad and all of its evolutionary lines do not have devamped back-sprites, despite being obtainable.
-Not all fakemon have their cries, and not all of them have their sprites, either. This may become noticeable later in the game.
- The Pokepad (aka Pokegear) is not yet customized
- All trainers will ask you to register them in your Pokepad, despite not being intended to do so. You can if you want, but it won't really matter since you cannot rematch any trainer in this demo.
- Not all buildings are accessible, primarily with Alpha City.

Last edited by Ratty524; January 7th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Xackery
Beginning Trainer

Howdy.
Win7 64bit, extracted your download.
----
Ran Game.exe
msgbox immediately popped up: RGSS104E.dll not found.
Ran editor.exe,
runs fine.
-----

google'd the DLL, grabbed RGSS104E.dll
moved to directory game extracted to, runs.

Below is a run down of my experience.
Spoiler:

---------
11:44am One or more fonts used in this game do not exist on the system.
etc etc, the fonts were successfully installed.
11:44 restarted game.

I'll be using this post to talk about any gripes (minor or large), just so you can experience how the game feels to someone totally new and critical. Please note I am being constructive.

x is to cycle through dialog (or at least accepts), when it goes to an option menu asking your gender, x dosen't work anymore. Minor note.

music loop in background at start has a pretty large gap before re-looping.

So you're <NAME?> Yes/No, this responds to X, where above didn't. continuation of above. However, now I have to re-enter my name.

C enters in people's names, so trying that.
Using C on dialog and messages works.

goes from class registration to waking up, a bit of a funky transition. The amount of dialog describing pokemon seems good for an intro to the game/talking to prof, I nkow on original it described pokemon prior to game start, but maybe tweak it so that there's a little less information innodated at very start? That was a lot of 'C's'. :3

Dazzling mother, hah. I left you money in one of your shelves. Amusing. I wanna go back to sleep ><.

hrrm, so now i'm on a boat. Guess it was described at start. Layout of room was hard to tell.
--neighbor room--
Bloody seasick may not be good in the neighbor room, if your audience is kid. EU may not enjoy that. The neighbors have a book shelf of pokemon related details, on the left side.. while other two on right are boring books. Hrm.

--next neighbor from left to right --
"Various positions to please your partner", haha.. naughty.

--next room--
Sadly at this point I realize you did the exact same layout for each room.. which considering it's a boat, understandable. But then I question the book shelves on a boat.. Haha.

--SSExpress area outside of rooms--
Sailor on right side talks about what the technology is developed from, he notes "Lantis Corporsations", I don't think that's plural.

Sailor in center area notes we'll be docking at Alpha City soon. Interestingly, everyone else notes the place we're landing at Lantis Island.

--Next right area of S.S. Express--

-bottom left room--
"Of ratatta and men", amusing.
--next room--
"Alpha city is one of the major cities in Lantis and all" was spoken to next room, guess that explains alpha city above.. must be the specific city on Lantis Island we're going.

--receptionist room--
Has a laptop on table and computer in background. Just a minor note.
Saved game, will play more later.

Last edited by Xackery; January 8th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ratty524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xackery View Post
Howdy.
Win7 64bit, extracted your download.
----
Ran Game.exe
msgbox immediately popped up: RGSS104E.dll not found.
Ran editor.exe,
runs fine.
-----
Odd of that to happen. It's possible that you don't have the RMXP RTP installed, but what you just did was fine.

Quote:
x is to cycle through dialog (or at least accepts), when it goes to an option menu asking your gender, x dosen't work anymore. Minor note.

music loop in background at start has a pretty large gap before re-looping.

So you're <NAME?> Yes/No, this responds to X, where above didn't. continuation of above. However, now I have to re-enter my name.

C enters in people's names, so trying that.
Using C on dialog and messages works.
The C button is primarily used for selection, while X is used to skip/cancel. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote:
goes from class registration to waking up, a bit of a funky transition. The amount of dialog describing pokemon seems good for an intro to the game/talking to prof, I nkow on original it described pokemon prior to game start, but maybe tweak it so that there's a little less information innodated at very start? That was a lot of 'C's'. :3
I can see how the transition from registering on a computer to waking up may seem odd. I'll try to improve that transition. Basically, what is supposed to happen is that you are registering for the Lantis Academy online, and then you are traveling to the region by boat in the next scene.

Quote:
Dazzling mother, hah. I left you money in one of your shelves. Amusing. I wanna go back to sleep ><.

hrrm, so now i'm on a boat. Guess it was described at start. Layout of room was hard to tell.
Yeah, I definitely should have established that better. xD

Quote:
--next room--
Sadly at this point I realize you did the exact same layout for each room.. which considering it's a boat, understandable. But then I question the book shelves on a boat.. Haha.
I reasoned that the different people who live within the boats would bring along different stuff to fill their rooms with. You do have a point, though.

Quote:
--SSExpress area outside of rooms--
Sailor on right side talks about what the technology is developed from, he notes "Lantis Corporsations", I don't think that's plural.

Sailor in center area notes we'll be docking at Alpha City soon. Interestingly, everyone else notes the place we're landing at Lantis Island.
Thanks for catching that. Also, Alpha City is a landmark within the Lantis Region, sorry for not making that clear.

Quote:
--receptionist room--
Has a laptop on table and computer in background. Just a minor note.
Saved game, will play more later.
I thought it was a cash register... Maybe?

Anyway, thank you for your feedback so far.
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
Haha, demo looks great! I'll check it out when I have time, bro.

Old January 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Xackery
Beginning Trainer

13 minutes in, continuing my adventure.
Spoiler:

--Aquarius Inn.--
Graphic glitch on trees in the Inn, top right/top left.
--room 206--
Room 206 white graphic when entering not transparent, minor note.
I like how it's "xack's room" haha.
Someone's PC accessed.. for amoment I thought I'd be able to hack other people's PC's.
See ya on exiting Someone's PC
Exit on exiting Xack's PC.
Log off when leaving the PC menu,
some logical menu option conflicts on that, I think.
the tree graphic seems to have challenges with the textures below them, again in room 206.
no interaction in kitchen area of my own room, sadface.
Taking a nap: Xack's party was fully healed ! What party? I'm alone.. :o
Alpha City: Aquarias Inn, I'm not sure ! should be on the end of "The Hub of Relaxation!". There's a lot of !'s from the large guy right by the sign too.
Thoughts don't have sounds, the guy in the baseball cap to the left of aquarias inn has that in it's dialog.
>sign north of aquarias inn, LANTIS COPORATIONS (should be singular?)
music loop in city is better, has a fade out/restart. better to take that out, so it just flows ni background.
Talking to man in black hat, top right of aquarias inn: "This building I'm standing next are Teleport Stations. They make travel around the Region easy as pie! ... Unfortunately, they aren't ready yet. I heard they'll be functional soon, though. Come back in a while."
> With the usage of "This", there shouldn't be an "are" in same sentence of description.. or at least, double check grammar. I am not 100%.
> Region I don't think should be capitalized in this context.

House south of guy in hat has no interaction, but doesn't also doesn't let you in. You can stand on the door, though, as if you're about to teleport in.
same with house below that.

Maybe considering summarizing the trash searching to one line. Two clicks per trash can just to tell you nothing found, considering so many cans abundant, is a little .. long. XD

first trash can I couldn't inspect.. Top left right near route 1 sign. that guy with glasses that stops you route 1 sure runs fast!. Professor flip uses odd english like 'ought, even though a professor.. a little funky.
And you name is? <-- should be your
Another ! craziness here or there on his sentence.

The flow with the receptionist could be a little smoother, if after she asks if you're a student here, have her recognize, e.g., "I see, your class is X Y Z", instead of immediately going into the directions.

trees with different tiles under.
when Ron gives his introduction and says Near the Unova region, there's a bit of a typo. Sorry, I missed dialog before pressing C.

Raising, and fighting with Pokemon <-- during lecture, that shouldn't have a comma there.

During tutorial, showing the pokemon list, when you press c for next dialog, there's a glitch where you see behind the window, "Choose your pokemon". minor.

from your BAG, <next dialog> and \n even SWITCH them from position to <-- there's a newline after the and.

music fades out during tutorial gradually, and starts up again.
Not sure @ Trainer-started being spelled proper.

We weren't talking about the summary screen until it was brought up, maybe reword a bit. "Now let's talk about the SUMMARY screen we were talking about" <-- is dialog first time it's mentioned.

"from it's trainer to its nature". it's nature

Mr Boyton. Not a pedophile, at all!
"and \n will let me know that you completed the assignment." Another newline after and.
the conversation when the pokeballs are revealed is confusing, they stopped using AMBER: RON: pre dialog, and made it tough to figure out who's saying who. XD

after you choose your pokemon, you get to name it, and it then confirms so you picked <GENERICPOKEMONNAME?> so.. yeah. I picked the water one, and called it Narwhal, but teacher called it balphin :<

typo: Okay then, XACK, lest meet at the Trainer's Gym!

left back to receptionist, it seems like to the right of receptionist you can walk, but no errors/messages, just stands there.

and that's all for now. XD

[/spoiler]
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ratty524

Small update with the first post. I've updated the region map to its current appearance, added/replaced some screenshots, and updated the credits list. The link to the current demo should be in the first post as well.

As it stands, I have already begun my first week back from my winter break, and because I am developing an animated short film simultaneously to this project, the progress with this project will be slower from here on.

My main focus, as of right now, is in developing the major maps for the game, since I can do that relatively quick. Here is a preview of Route 6, the route located just East of Delta Village:
Spoiler:

Other than that, I've been addressing some of the issues Xackery has pointed out. That is all.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:00 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
Small update with the first post. I've updated the region map to its current appearance, added/replaced some screenshots, and updated the credits list. The link to the current demo should be in the first post as well.

As it stands, I have already begun my first week back from my winter break, and because I am developing an animated short film simultaneously to this project, the progress with this project will be slower from here on.

My main focus, as of right now, is in developing the major maps for the game, since I can do that relatively quick. Here is a preview of Route 6, the route located just East of Delta Village:
Spoiler:

Other than that, I've been addressing some of the issues Xackery has pointed out. That is all.

With so many problems that you know of why release a demo at all? I am a supporter of this game but if you were gonna release a demo it should have been more polished off..

Also wild flowers don't grow in patches like that. try maybe skipping a spot here or there.. other than that i like the route
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

I personally don't have a problem with the flowers being like that! Although wild flowers don't always grow like that, how would a route keep nicely cut grass in the first place, there could be a gardener or someone going there to keep it this way, and the flowers could be kept nice by him/her... The route looks pretty good, this game makes me want to play Pokémon Yellow again though haha! X
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Ho-oh 112
Advance Scripter

Nature: Hasty
Wow, this is really interesting, what I'm wondering is, are you using Essentials?

RMXP Poke-Essentials MySQL Trading System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...62#post7077162

RMXP Poke-Essentials Mystery Gift Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270687

RMXP Poke-Essentials Award System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7111566
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Ratty524

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
With so many problems that you know of why release a demo at all? I am a supporter of this game but if you were gonna release a demo it should have been more polished off..

Also wild flowers don't grow in patches like that. try maybe skipping a spot here or there.. other than that i like the route
I know, but based on what I've studied from actual GSC maps (even though it's not exact), flowers are typically placed in 2-tile patches within an area of 2x2 blank grass tiles, so I am trying to emulate that.

I can't really say you are wrong about the demo release, though. Looking back there are a lot of things that could have been polished. I had a personal deadline of releasing a demo before the next semester of my school starts, so I apoligize if some aspects appear rushed. Some of the errors that Xackry pointed out are odd, though (like the player's room having a white ceiling tile instead of black), because when I repeatedly test this, such errors don't happen. As of now, I'm going to get help with compressing the game data of Essentials projects, because the first time I compiled the game data for this project, the product had a ton of strange errors.

I'm going to release v1.1 of the demo before tonight is over, because on other forums, some people received download errors and a lot of the issues with the current demos are a bit embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-oh 112 View Post
Wow, this is really interesting, what I'm wondering is, are you using Essentials?
As mentioned in the first post, yes, I'm using Essentials.
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ho-oh 112
Advance Scripter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
As mentioned in the first post, yes, I'm using Essentials.

Ok, I can't believe I missed that.....

RMXP Poke-Essentials MySQL Trading System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...62#post7077162

RMXP Poke-Essentials Mystery Gift Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270687

RMXP Poke-Essentials Award System Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7111566
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Hyuga D
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
I like the story. Tomorrow I'll download it.

EDIT: I loved the plot and the story!! Awesome. Until now, i didn't find any errors! Keep the good work :D

Last edited by Hyuga D; January 21st, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Ratty524

Thanks for trying out the demo, Hyuga. :D

Hopefully I'll have the time to complete an updated version of this game, because I've noticed a ton of errors that people have pointed out with this demo.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here