The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:54 AM
zealot
The King of Fail

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
All right! I'm really excited for this, having played and enjoyed Snakewood many times. This hack looks to be one of the most ambitious ones out there, and I like that you're sticking to your guns about graphics. Good luck to you!

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM
ultimatedood
Beginning Trainer

Whoa that looks awesome. Nice work on the hack!

Spoiler:
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
If you can raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSonic View Post
I'm just loving this story through and through. That's why I'm always happy to hear the planning of a hack/fan-game before anything now. It's like that game Shadow the Hedgehog....except nowhere near as broken and crappy as that game. This is leagues better in having branching sides and all.
'Branching' is sort of the wrong word. What happens is that there are five stories, each dependent on the gang you decide to join near the beginning of the game. However, these stories can be altered in terms of difficulty or overall ending by secondary choices you make - which aren't necessarily connected to the storyline you're playing. It's quite difficult to explain and the best way to learn about is to play it - something that I can't let anyone do just yet. I need to build more before I do that - and since most of the action takes place in cities and towns, progress is kind of slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPowerPedro View Post
This is great! I guessing different story lines need alot of superscripts? Good luck!
It's not quite as hard as it sounds. There's one variable that gets set to anything from 0x0 to 0x4, depending on which gang you join, and the story runs from there. It gets slightly trickier when you do things like activate Spearow Hate You mode, which require near-continual checks to see if you've set a certain flag, but the only really hard bit is keeping track of everything in my head. The actual scripting's fairly simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot
All right! I'm really excited for this, having played and enjoyed Snakewood many times. This hack looks to be one of the most ambitious ones out there, and I like that you're sticking to your guns about graphics. Good luck to you!
Thanks. I put off starting Keratin for ages, actually, precisely because it was so ambitious and I was slightly scared of its complexity. Now I've discovered it's not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatedood
Whoa that looks awesome. Nice work on the hack!
I'm glad you think so.

F.A.B.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
JettenD
Beginning Trainer

Oh sweet another Cutlerine hack, sucks that I have to wait! But it will be worth it. Also in team rocket will you advance through ranks? Like from grunt to executive and whatever other ranks there may or may not be in Team Rocket? Any who~ I cannot wait for an alpha/beta version. also late happy new years.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM
5qwerty
Pikachu's Beach. No Surfboard.

Nature: Impish
Hooray for logical game!

The only problem I really have with this is the new types. Beauty doesn't really seem like a type.

But the rest seems pretty good. Keep it up.

LolMeatMafia.

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Cutlerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5qwerty View Post
Hooray for logical game!

The only problem I really have with this is the new types. Beauty doesn't really seem like a type.

But the rest seems pretty good. Keep it up.

LolMeatMafia.
Mm. Beauty doesn't seem like a type at all. In fact, it's a combustible liquid, similar to gasoline. And if you don't like it, it'll be possible to go through the whole game and only see one or two Beauty-types; there are only a few, and they aren't common. Same goes for Nuclear.

Glad you like it overall, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettenD View Post
Oh sweet another Cutlerine hack, sucks that I have to wait! But it will be worth it. Also in team rocket will you advance through ranks? Like from grunt to executive and whatever other ranks there may or may not be in Team Rocket? Any who~ I cannot wait for an alpha/beta version. also late happy new years.
Ah. The gangs don't really have ranks; there're just the grunts and the leaders. Although I suppose there's nothing to stop me adding them. I might just do that.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hexagon

Oh this made my day this thread i mean =) i loved snakewood cant wait to see this one.
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
MrElephant
Pokemon Researcher

Nature: Serious
I read your story about your new game. It seems really cool that it is going to have 5 different stories to your game, but how are you going to have the time to finish such a game? It seems like you have a lot of experience in making games. Before seeing your game I was wondering if I should put my Pokemon Nightime version on the web. After seeing such a game like yours I wonder if I should even put a game like mine on the web....
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
TheChaosBlue
Jump On Box For a Free Life!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to TheChaosBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElephant View Post
I read your story about your new game. It seems really cool that it is going to have 5 different stories to your game, but how are you going to have the time to finish such a game? It seems like you have a lot of experience in making games. Before seeing your game I was wondering if I should put my Pokemon Nightime version on the web. After seeing such a game like yours I wonder if I should even put a game like mine on the web....
Hey, no one's stoping you from putting it out on the web. As far as I know, this is the Cutlerine's second hack here on the PokeCommunity. I'm all for having new hacks to play; don't let this (as far as the story and stuff goes) discourage you from releasing yours to the masses.
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cutlerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElephant View Post
Hey, don't be discouraged! For one, I haven't even got a beta yet, so it's a little early to tell if I'll succeed with this, and for another, this is the second hack I've posted on this forum and about the seventh I've made overall. The first five were consumed by glitches and died before they even reached the second Gym. Me being able to make this game didn't happen overnight, and if I hadn't made those first ones then I'd never have got this far. Everyone starts off the same, and it's only with practice that you'll get anywhere. Even now I barely know what I'm doing half the time; I make a lot of things up and improvise as I go along.

And as for how I have the time to do this... I honestly don't know. It's going to take me a few years at least, so at least you won't have this competing with you if you do decide to post yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexagon View Post
Oh this made my day this thread i mean =) i loved snakewood cant wait to see this one.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it, and that I have another person awaiting the glorious, crazy underworld of Kahuto.

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Vladimir312
Beginning Trainer

I'm super excited that you're making another hack so quickly. I immensely enjoyed snakewood for its unique qualities and I hope some of those will carry over to this hack. Good luck! Also, if I remember correctly, isn't keratin that stuff your fingernails are made of? How did you think of using that as a name?
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Barker
I'm drifting in deep waters..

I don't post very often, but I had to pop in and say this looks amazing, man. I've always wanted a different modern kind of hack. Everything sounds so great, honestly.

Keep up the awesome work, good luck!

Last edited by Barker; January 14th, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Eh, grammar
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Snakebyte
About time, I'd say...

Send a message via AIM to Snakebyte Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snakebyte Send a message via Yahoo to Snakebyte
Best of luck, man. I'm sure it'll be epic.
Old January 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM
ChaosJester083
You Hack It, I'll Play It

Nature: Lax
I am kind of sad that you will be tuning down the insanity a bit mainly because it was my kind of humor and I have greatly enjoyed snakewood, but I am excited to see what you can do with this and everything so far looks promising so keep up the good work!
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Eelektross
Unhatched Egg

Oh my God
I log back into PC after an age
And I see
THIS
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH
Snakewood was great, but this looks even better~
Oh my God
So excite
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Facelift

Nature: Adamant
Oh, Cutlerine. You're back!l
When I saw this I thought two things:
1. This is the guy who made Snakewood. Ergo, this will be amazingly insane amazing
2. How's he gonna live up the Snakewood?
For my sake, make this Killer Zen mode, and make it crazy.

I SUPPORT THE MEAT MEN!

Hail to the king, baby.
Army of Darkness
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
So will you be reusing fakemon from Snakewood, or making completely new ones? I'm looking forward to this! :D
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
blazerj13
Impossibly Possible~

hey cuterline,could you add in miror b. or have a cameo of the deadly seven? also, loved snakewood, and that wasnt even planned out. cant wait till this one comes out! WANNA PLAY IT SOO BADLY NOW!!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
So will you be reusing fakemon from Snakewood, or making completely new ones? I'm looking forward to this! :D
Careful, man! Just cause of this question, he might give us a default starter of Hombone....*shudder*.

Hail to the king, baby.
Army of Darkness
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
Careful, man! Just cause of this question, he might give us a default starter of Hombone....*shudder*.
I'd prefer all new Pokemon this time, because it'll give the game an original feel to it. Nooooooooooo, not Hombone!
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Soul Saint
Ghost~

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Soul Saint
After reading how the story and the features, I'm definitely going to play this. Wasn't too interested in Snakewood but I'll give it a shot some time this week. Can't wait to try out this one though!
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

2012 HOTY right here.

Or a very close 2nd. Just depends on what other hacks show up this year.

Come play Runescape
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Cutlerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir312 View Post
I'm super excited that you're making another hack so quickly. I immensely enjoyed snakewood for its unique qualities and I hope some of those will carry over to this hack. Good luck! Also, if I remember correctly, isn't keratin that stuff your fingernails are made of? How did you think of using that as a name?
How did I think of using keratin as a name? Uh... I have no idea. It doesn't have anything to do with the story. No, wait, it does. Keratin is weak in its individual fibres, but clusters together to form strong, tough strands. That's... uh... symbolic. Yeah. Totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barker View Post
I don't post very often, but I had to pop in and say this looks amazing, man. I've always wanted a different modern kind of hack. Everything sounds so great, honestly.

Keep up the awesome work, good luck!
Thanks. I appreciate the support. I'm ridiculously busy at the moment, but I'm trying to get back to Keratin as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebyte View Post
Best of luck, man. I'm sure it'll be epic.
Epicness is a corollary of biscuits. There will be biscuits in this game. Ergo: this game will be epic.

Wait. My logic's a little off there, I think. Whatever; thanks for your support, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosJester083 View Post
I am kind of sad that you will be tuning down the insanity a bit mainly because it was my kind of humor and I have greatly enjoyed snakewood, but I am excited to see what you can do with this and everything so far looks promising so keep up the good work!
I'm trying not to remove too much insanity, but a slight loss is inevitable, because of all the planning that has to go into creating such a complicated story. Still, I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelektross View Post
Oh my God
I log back into PC after an age
And I see
THIS
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH
Snakewood was great, but this looks even better~
Oh my God
So excite
Wow. You certainly sound excited. I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
Oh, Cutlerine. You're back!l
When I saw this I thought two things:
1. This is the guy who made Snakewood. Ergo, this will be amazingly insane amazing
2. How's he gonna live up the Snakewood?
For my sake, make this Killer Zen mode, and make it crazy.

I SUPPORT THE MEAT MEN!
The Meat Men can't be joined, I'm afraid, but you can certainly help them; they offer a range of subquests throughout the game.

If by Killer Zen mode you mean Spearow Hate You mode, then it is fairly crazy. It makes things harder, adds a whole lot of subquests that do bad things to you, and essentially puts in another story ending.

Quote:
Some fakemon are from Snakewood, some are completely new. Some are also from my mini-hack, Pokémon Cangrejo - notably the Pokémon Professor Ork gives to you, if you choose to join him (it's a Glistenon). Hombone makes a return, only subtly different, as do Kenchira and Kenchukuo, though they're even rarer than before; there are a few others, but most of the fakemon here are new, like Linzay and Vyral. And many more besides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj13 View Post
hey cuterline,could you add in miror b. or have a cameo of the deadly seven? also, loved snakewood, and that wasnt even planned out. cant wait till this one comes out! WANNA PLAY IT SOO BADLY NOW!!!!!
The Deadly Seven may have a cameo, but the role of recurring insane people will instead be fulfilled by the Fabulous Snowmen, who are neither fabulous nor snowmen. I think.

Quote:
Hombone Hombone Hombone Hombone Homboooone!

There are some Hombone in this game, but they don't evolve as you might expect; I've included Hombone in every hack I've ever made, and they acquire new evolutions and new ways to evolve every time. This is no exception; if I've planned this right, there are about ten different final evolutions for Hombone.

Quote:
I'd prefer all new Pokemon this time, because it'll give the game an original feel to it. Nooooooooooo, not Hombone!
There are only a very few reused ones. 95% of the fakemon are completely new, although a lot of the Pokémon aren't fake. However, several old Pokémon have been adjusted slightly, to fit the new type system and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Saint View Post
After reading how the story and the features, I'm definitely going to play this. Wasn't too interested in Snakewood but I'll give it a shot some time this week. Can't wait to try out this one though!
I wouldn't give Snakewood a shot until I get the fixed version up - hopefully that'll be by next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
2012 HOTY right here.

Or a very close 2nd. Just depends on what other hacks show up this year.
You think so? I'm touched. Thanks so much!

It seems I have a lot to live up to. Better get to work...

F.A.B.

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
master19
Beginning Trainer

are you going to put a link on here to download it
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Meez

Nature: Bold
I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT I REALLLLY LOVED POKEMON SNAKEWOOD
BTW i defeated all the gyms on gym island but asimovs is blocked by some guy wat to do now

Sponsored Links

Advertise here