The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old November 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
DrerAhv
She That Derps in the Night

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
I've got an issue of my own.
I am trying to import the Myst theme as the title screen theme for Pokemon Ruby. I acquired the midi from the midimole website (I would post urls to show you exactly what I'm talking about, but it appears I'm not authorized to do so.)
I can manage to get the file into .s format easily, but when I try to Assemble the song Sappy freezes.

I've changed the instruments in the song numerous times, and the current setup is Pizzicato Strings, Timpani, Synth Bass 1, and Acoustic Grand Piano. I've tried various different programs and methods to insert this song into the game and so far nothing has worked. Please help.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:38 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

Nature: Relaxed
Well make sure when converting the MIDI that the file only use these characters:
- "A-Z"
- "a-z"
- "0-9"
- "." , "_"

That should prevent Sappy form crashing.
For the second problem:
On this sound-engine you are limited to 128 MIDI programs and the MIDI percussion-MIDI-channel won't change anything and so program "0 - Acoustic Grand Piano" is usually used as a percussion kit.
When you want to use the piano use the program "1 - Bright Acoustic Piano" , but make sure your voicegroup contains all these instruments.

Hope you understood my English ;-)
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:06 PM
DrerAhv
She That Derps in the Night

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatix View Post
Well make sure when converting the MIDI that the file only use these characters:
- "A-Z"
- "a-z"
- "0-9"
- "." , "_"

That should prevent Sappy form crashing.
For the second problem:
On this sound-engine you are limited to 128 MIDI programs and the MIDI percussion-MIDI-channel won't change anything and so program "0 - Acoustic Grand Piano" is usually used as a percussion kit.
When you want to use the piano use the program "1 - Bright Acoustic Piano" , but make sure your voicegroup contains all these instruments.

Hope you understood my English ;-)
Alright, I've tried that.
I'm using the voicegroup offset of 0x43B8A0, which is;
Code:
0x43B8A0

01 - Bright Acoustic
09 - Glockenspiel
35 - Fretless Bass
45 - Pizzicato Strings
46 - Harp
47 - Timpani
48 - Strings
60 - French Horn
73 - Flute
My instrument setup, after some fiddling, contains only Pizzicato Strings, Flute, Timpani, and Fretless Bass.
I'm using an empty offset as the Base Destination.
When I press "Assemble that Ugly Thing", I get an error message that reads:

"Run-time error '13':
type mismatch"

once I hit either OK or X on that message, Sappy closes and a new error message appears that reads:

"Run-time error '-2147418105 (80010007)':
Automation error
The callee (server [not server aplication]) is not available and disappeared; all connections are invalid. The call may have executed."

Upon hitting OK/X for that message it closes and nothing else appears.
What do I do to avoid this?
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
        If I had the source code I might be able to pinpoint the problem… I know a little Visual Basic 2008/2010, and I think it might just be poor programming that's easily fixable, like a typo in the code that the VB dictionary didn't pick up because the typo meant something else… You know.

I think that Sappy is, to put it simply, a really sappy program all around. Sappy doesn't work on Vista (which was released in 2006) saying that you need some VB libraries. If you install those libraries, you get another crash, even if you're running XP. So my conclusion of all of this is that improper programming etc. caused the conflict between certain VB libraries (pre-included in some version of the .NET framework) and Sappy that the program can't handle. I also don't think that Sappy is designed to handle plug-in DLLs, so there's no solution there either.

My answer to all of this is to do a complete re-write of the entire program from scratch, and distribute it as Sappy x.x.x Mark 2 or some such, or at least do a beta for the new release. Other than that, I honestly don't know what to tell people who experience crashes; My Sappy 2005 and 2006 both crash on their own (they'll recognise an unsupported ROM like Red Rescue Team, but still crash when loading Ruby for instance).
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
        If I had the source code I might be able to pinpoint the problem… I know a little Visual Basic 2008/2010, and I think it might just be poor programming that's easily fixable, like a typo in the code that the VB dictionary didn't pick up because the typo meant something else… You know.

I think that Sappy is, to put it simply, a really sappy program all around. Sappy doesn't work on Vista (which was released in 2006) saying that you need some VB libraries. If you install those libraries, you get another crash, even if you're running XP. So my conclusion of all of this is that improper programming etc. caused the conflict between certain VB libraries (pre-included in some version of the .NET framework) and Sappy that the program can't handle. I also don't think that Sappy is designed to handle plug-in DLLs, so there's no solution there either.

My answer to all of this is to do a complete re-write of the entire program from scratch, and distribute it as Sappy x.x.x Mark 2 or some such, or at least do a beta for the new release. Other than that, I honestly don't know what to tell people who experience crashes; My Sappy 2005 and 2006 both crash on their own (they'll recognise an unsupported ROM like Red Rescue Team, but still crash when loading Ruby for instance).
Most crashes are because of dependencies and other issues, Some people from the Fire Emblem hacking society have come up with this

It's been modified, and works perfectly in Vista, and has some new features.

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

I too have the "Can't find file MPlayDef.s for inclusion" error.

>I have MPlayDef.s in the same folder as my .s file to be assembled
>I have the newest version of sappy (that supposedly fixed this problem)

Can anyone help? Thanks
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM

I can hear music hacking into hacking into the music but I can not cycle to how to make it cycle?
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Lorenzo The Comic
Pokégen User

Nature: Docile
Even though I copied the three ocx files to C:\Windows\System32, I get the runtime errors regardless.

EDIT: Oops never mind... I forgot to download and install Sappy 12 first.

Last edited by Lorenzo The Comic; January 16th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

Just for information: Just copying the files doesn't work because the files have to be registered in your Registry and the Sappy installer does this for you ;-)
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Download links for Sappy and Midi are down. Solutions?
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
supershadow64ds
Confused GBA Hacker

Nature: Quiet
Unfortunately, no versions of Sappy (That I can acquire) are compatible with Windows 7. I instead use Song Inserter, but I have no clue how to use it. I have a voice group offset I want to use (0x43B8A0) but I do not know the 4 byte header for the Wild/Trainer battle music. Does anyone know these?
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
pokemetalhead_96
Enigma

I tried converting the .midi file to the .s file, butwhenever I do, the .s file doesn't show up. Help me out here?
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:55 PM
ADLFM14
Legendary Spriter

Nature: Bold
Really nice tutorial Magnius but i have a problem when i put my midi file in Mid2Agb folder i open Mid2Agb folder i found no.s file for my midi plz any help and sorry for bad english
Hacks I'm Currently Making

Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)

My deviantART

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Magnius
Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

If you're having problems with the VBAL error or just couldn't run Sappy on Windows 7, I've added a link at the bottom of the first post, that will fix that.

Also, the "Rom Tools" link with Sappy and Mid2Agb has been removed. You can now get Sappy and Mid2agb here.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
AquaFred
Beginning Trainer

hi Magnus
I found a technique for hacking gba music

it's simple with anvil studio without Hexad so I want your opinion on my youtube channel: TheFredWTF
Sorry for my English
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Sideshow Bob
Hufflepuff and Slytherin

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry, Summer Bay & Lumiose City
Nature: Gentle
It keeps crashing when I load a rom.
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM
The_Show
Banned

Nature: Sassy
For those having trouble with syntax error #1002, that just means you are typing the wrong offset in the SECOND BOX when assembling the song. You should type an offset with a lot of free space, as long as it isn't higher than 0x900000. anything higher than 0x800000 should work.
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:23 AM
PokeBunny
Pokemon Game Maker

Nature: Serious
I get a strange error. Sappy 2005 will do everything--compile, play, but it compiles bad. Once it is bad it crashes when it plays and doesn't show the header and stuff. There is no apparent way around this! Please help.

Oh wait, not higher than 0x900000...

The Pokemon Game Developer
If you are wondering why I'm taking long to make Pokemon Hot Red and Cold Blue... It's because I barely get computer time. Be patient (I'm not!.

My SoundCloud!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by PokeBunny; July 13th, 2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 6th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Arctic Eagle
Pokemon Trainer/Breeder

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Arctic Eagle
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...

...hopefully all goes according to plan...

I still need to find where to register for it...

...and I need to renew my Trainer Card, it's the one from
Hoenn for goodness sake!

Last edited by Arctic Eagle; August 24th, 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added accidental links...
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
gokaiblue

Nature: Calm
How do you change the tempo of a song in Sappy permanently? I'm trying to slow down a song from 120 bpm to 60 bpm, but the changes only occur while I'm playing the song.
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:29 PM
AntiRellik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Eagle View Post
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...
Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokaiblue View Post
How do you change the tempo of a song in Sappy permanently? I'm trying to slow down a song from 120 bpm to 60 bpm, but the changes only occur while I'm playing the song.
The way I'd do it: Rip the MIDI, edit the tempo, reloop it and insert it again. Trying to change the tempo in hex or anything of the likes would be a pain in the butt and really messy. Changing the tempo in Sappy does nothing, only slows the song down for replay.
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Arctic Eagle
Pokemon Trainer/Breeder

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Arctic Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik1 View Post
Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty
I know that I need to, but I'd been waiting for an answer for a long time and this is the first time in 2 months since I've been on here but I am only 16 years old, so it might come off as rude. I'm just glad I finally got an answer and I'm going to try that now, thank you.

Edit:
I got the same error again and so I then went into the compatiblity settings and made it where it should work in win7 through xp compatibility settings and it still showed the same error again(of course it did). Might there be something else wrong because I did almost exactly what you said I should do and it didn't really work out for me so I may need to move the missing file to the hard drive of one the computers I'm using or just wait until later to worry about the music, I've only been rom hacking since March or April...

Edit #2:
Well, I got it to work, but it crashed when I tried to insert a .s sound file, so I decided to delete the program because I can't figure out what the hell I'm trying to do, and stick to what I am best at, Map and Tile hacking, at least until I can find someone to help me with this that I actually know so that the hack will get finished quicker,(and easier) so I can hack other games.

...hopefully all goes according to plan...

I still need to find where to register for it...

...and I need to renew my Trainer Card, it's the one from
Hoenn for goodness sake!

Last edited by Arctic Eagle; April 10th, 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Updating what is going on
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
RevanXVII

I'm trying to change the battle music for the rival in emerald, I'm using sappy but the songtable isn't there altough the songs are, what number in SAPPY is the rival battle in emerald?
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:10 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

Which language do you use? The song order should be the same although the offsets of the songtable differ. The US version fon Emerald should be in the list though. If you want to I can sent you my sappy.xml with correct offsets.
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:30 AM
ViruSs_CZ

Hi there! I don´t know what to do if i have windows xp and how do i make it to wild battle theme?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here