The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Inler
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
The penalty was blatant so there is nothing to talk about there. As for Balotelli's alleged kick or whatever on Parker's face, it's seems unintentional, no; the guy lost his balance and was spinning weirdly. How could he have seen Parker behind him? Everything that Balottelli does doesn't call for attacking the guy just because of his reputation. However, there are some referees who would have given him a card, regardless if malice intended or not. Howard Webb didn't see it so he might have showed him a card if he had seen it. Actually, he would have, lol. I never been a fan of Webb. Overrated.

A draw would have been fair, yes, but if a team should have won, it should have been City. While Tottenham did their fair counterattacks in the second half and threatened Hart a lot, City were more critical on the ball. Hadn't it been for Savic inexperience that lead to the stupid mistake hence Spurs' first goal, City would have comfortably carried the day with a win. Did you see Defoe's chance at the end? That was extremely vexing, lol.

The game was one of the greatest game I have seen in the EPL. City and Tottenham play the best football at the moment. Now, Arsenal versus United should be interesting. I'm rooting for Arsenal but you never know how games turn out for United.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inler View Post
The penalty was blatant so there is nothing to talk about there. As for Balotelli's alleged kick or whatever on Parker's face, it's seems unintentional, no; the guy lost his balance and was spinning weirdly. How could he have seen Parker behind him? Everything that Balottelli does doesn't call for attacking the guy just because of his reputation. However, there are some referees who would have given him a card, regardless if malice intended or not. Howard Webb didn't see it so he might have showed him a card if he had seen it. Actually, he would have, lol. I never been a fan of Webb. Overrated.

Looks deliberate in my eyes. The way he forced his legs into his head is blatantly intentional (his pathetic attempt at covering this to try to make it was accident by falling over is clearly deliberate, too). He should get banned for several matches.

On Arsenal v Man Utd, I think United did deserve the win. They controlled majority of the game, and Arsenal had good couple chances themselves on counter attacks but weren't clinical enough IMO. Bizzare substitution from Wenger on Chamberlain for Arshavin. Arshavin contributed nothing to the game while Chamberlain looked dangerous (and set up assist for RVP's goal)

Last edited by 2Cool4Mewtwo; January 22nd, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
Well, he was a handed a four-match ban. Fully deserved. I doubt City will appeal the decision as the FA will presumably fine the club for appealing against their decision and will increase the ban.

And go Mirandes!
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery View Post
Well, he was a handed a four-match ban. Fully deserved. I doubt City will appeal the decision as the FA will presumably fine the club for appealing against their decision and will increase the ban.

And go Mirandes!
I hope Mirandes can pull out a win. I always have softer spot for lower league clubs when it comes to cup matches. (unless they're versing us)

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
Well, ladies and gentlemen, Mirandés 2 - 1 Espanyol, aggregate 4-4, Mirandés win on away goals.

Goals: 0-1 Rui Fonte (2-4) 46'
1-1 Pablo Infante (3-4) 57'
2-1 Caneda (4-4) 93'

I also have to say that, even though I didn't know anything about Mirandés four months ago, I hadn't screamed "gol" so loudly since the World Cup final two years ago. Oh my god. That's so incredible. They are the second Third Division team to ever make it to the Cup Semifinals and hell if I wish they get to the final. It's a miracle. Pablo Infante is a true hero.

Now I can leave my usertitle for two more weeks, I guess :P

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

Madrid creates the chances (around 7) and Barcelona scores two out of three chances. That's pretty unlucky from Madrid. They deserve at least two goals from what they did in the first half. Granted, Barcelona's defense is so horrible that I myself who have played only a handful of times football could have scored a goal blindfolded, but Madrid were very good. Unfortunately, Madrid are losing, but at least they would have offered a good first half. The second half is for Barcelona; Madrid have nothing to play for anymore. A big result for Barcelona will only be a result of Madrid's failure to convert their first half chances into actual goals, not because they were the superior side.

EDIT: Now that is what I'm talking about. 2 goals. I will be thrilled with a 3rd. I doubt it though.
EDIT 2: Ramos' red card was controversial. Ramos hit Bousquets on his left chin, but somehow, his whole face started hurting. What kind of sorcery is this? I'm sorry, people, but Madrid deserves to win. The referee wasn't great in some of his decisions. Barcelona do not deserve a win from this game. They had possession, though. Pepe, however, should enter WWE.

Oh well. Madrid didn't lose, that's probably a good thing. I lol'd when Pepe started clapping at the referees.

Last edited by Montgomery; January 25th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Madrid creates the chances (around 7) and Barcelona scores two out of three chances. That's pretty unlucky from Madrid. They deserve at least two goals from what they did in the first half. Granted, Barcelona's defense is so horrible that I myself who have played only a handful of times football could have scored a goal blindfolded, but Madrid were very good. Unfortunately, Madrid are losing, but at least they would have offered a good first half. The second half is for Barcelona; Madrid have nothing to play for anymore. A big result for Barcelona will only be a result of Madrid's failure to convert their first half chances into actual goals, not because they were the superior side.

EDIT: Now that is what I'm talking about. 2 goals. I will be thrilled with a 3rd. I doubt it though.
EDIT 2: Ramos' red card was..just wow. Does Bosquets like to die? I'm sorry, people, but Madrid deserves to win. The referee wasn't great in some of his decisions. Barcelona do not deserve a thing from this game.
I have to give newfound respect to biscuits. He dives and gets players in trouble and/or sent off, and he literally doesn't give a flying **** about it. What an utter ****. Players like those shouldn't be allowed to play football. It doesn't mitigate Pepe's horrible reputation, though.

In all honesty, I thought Real Madrid would capitulate and lose 4/5-0 after half time, but they came back from 2 goals and gave barca a good game.

Since Real played so well, I guess they could challenge Manchester City for Moral Champions League Final 2012.

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

I have a somehow off-topic question.

I saw some fans from Barcelona holding boards that say "Barcelona beat Spain". I was seriously dumbfounded. I am aware of the whole Catalan independence, but taking this into this game seems a little irrelevant. Does it convey a political message, or do the Catalans suffer from superiority complex?

On-topic:

I didn't watch Liverpool vs City, but I saw some replies regarding an unfair penalty handed over to Liverpool.
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
I saw some fans from Barcelona holding boards that say "Barcelona beat Spain". I was seriously dumbfounded. I am aware of the whole Catalan independence, but taking this into this game seems a little irrelevant. Does it convey a political message, or do the Catalans suffer from superiority complex?
They kind of do, or at least a sizeable amount of them. It's a running gag in clásicos though, Madrid supporters chant "**** Barça and **** Catalonia", and Catalans chant "Catalonia is not Spain" or derivatives.

Also the referee was the most hideous thing ever. He could have sent off four people (Lass before half-time, he booked Casillas instead ¿?; Pepe, Alves and Busquets)... and instead sends off Ramos for god-knows-what. I just cannot understand it.

Madrid was fairly superior but Barcelona had an incredibly good aim. Now I wonder what would have happened if Madrid had played like this last week instead of gifting Barça the match. Will Mourinho ever learn, or will he keep his tactics until a desaster like this forces him to actually tell his players to -gasp- play football?

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

Pepe wasn't punished for the stamp on Messi's hand. I'm not sure why the Spanish FA interpreted the incident as an unintentional offense. It was ridiculously blatant.

The referees in Spain and England are probably the worst. They destroy games with their inability to properly do their jobs.
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Pepe wasn't punished for the stamp on Messi's hand. I'm not sure why the Spanish FA interpreted the incident as an unintentional offense. It was ridiculously blatant.

The referees in Spain and England are probably the worst. They destroy games with their inability to properly do their jobs.
Spanish & English FA are joke. Incompetent at best.

On the subject of catalan independence thing, apparantly their motto "mes que un club" has something to do with it. I don't know further about it, though.

I'm very worried about FA Cup game vs Liverpool, though. They might not be at their best but always seem to turn up against us, especially at their home ground. Carroll and Downing, supposed "flops," will play like they're possessed by Maradona and score hat tricks against us to make it 6-0. (In all seriousness, they're unbeaten so far at home this season. It definitely won't be easy with our god damn injuries)

Old January 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
Downing hasn't been that bad, it isn't his fault Liverpool paid £20m for him.

The incompetency of refs goes a whole level further once you drop down divisions.

Anyway, Boro will be receiving some national exposure because our match with Sunderland is on ITV1 this Sunday. :D
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

How bad is the rivalry between Middlesborough and Sunderland? I know the Newcastle-Sunderland one is really bad, for all the times Carol Malia goes on about it every time they play each other, but I don't hear as much about Middlesborough for some reason.
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cool4Mewtwo View Post
Spanish & English FA are joke. Incompetent at best.

On the subject of catalan independence thing, apparantly their motto "mes que un club" has something to do with it. I don't know further about it, though.
The RSFA judge said that he'd have looked into it "if Pepe had broken Messi's fingers", so yeah. Incompetent is being too nice to them.

And that motto means two things: first, it's "more than a football club"- it also has successful basketball, handball, futsal and hockey divisions (and maybe more, I'm not sure), so technically speaking, it's true it's not just a football team. And then you get into the romantic, nationalist idea of being a Catalan institution, at least a more popular one than the Catalan Parliament, but that's more subjective.

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain...rcelonas-dani-

You judge. I question its authenticity, though.
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Quote:
como esta diferente daniel alves desde que chegou a espanha. Foi operado as orelhas, que estao mais pequenas,usa oculos de intelectual... mas um burro mesmo de orelhas pequenas e de oculos nao passa a ser um doutor, continua a ser um burro!
Well, it IS written, in a twitter account with the name of Eládio Paramés ( https://twitter.com/#!/realeladio ). Unless he calls that account fake (I won't deny it gives a suspicious vibe, but he has had enough time already, it's been around for quite a long time), that notice is completely true.

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:23 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Downing hasn't been that bad, it isn't his fault Liverpool paid £20m for him.

The incompetency of refs goes a whole level further once you drop down divisions.

Anyway, Boro will be receiving some national exposure because our match with Sunderland is on ITV1 this Sunday. :D
Downing was a good player at 'boro and villa, but somehow he's regressed during his time at liverpool. (0 assists in 22 league appearances... I'd definitely call that poor). It's a simliar situation with Carroll, except his only 2 league goals came against Man City home in 2010-11 season, I believe.

Daliglish has been generally poor on transfer market. He's signed couple quality players for good price, like Bellamy for free, Enrique for 5m (around there I believe), but he could've spent what he spent on 3 very average players (Carroll, Downing, and Henderson) on so many other better players.

Am looking forward to the north east derby. It'll be a fantastic game.

Old February 5th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

Howard Webb amazes me. He is considered the best referee in the world, and I keep saying otherwise. This game [Chelsea vs. United] proved me right. United had 4 penalties in two games. Wow. De Gea somehow became superman in the last ten minutes.

I just don't get why Chelsea keep giving away leads. Had it been City or Tottenham or any other capable team, they would have won easily.

Last edited by Montgomery; February 5th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Howard Webb amazes me. He is considered the best referee in the world, and I keep saying otherwise. This game [Chelsea vs. United] proved me right. United had 4 penalties in two games. Wow. De Gea somehow became superman in the last ten minutes.

I just don't get why Chelsea keep giving away leads. Had it been City or Tottenham or any other capable team, they would have won easily.
Webb had a mare of a game IMO, but not because he gave Man Utd 2 penalties, that's for sure. That being said, I don't tihink Webb is a good referee, but some of the others are worse than him.

It was a strange game. I think it's a fair scoreline but I've honestly never expected to come back from 3-0 down, especially at Stamford Bridge. This game also strangely reminds me of newcastle vs arsenal game a year ago.

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Montgomery
Beginning Trainer

It reminded me of that game as well. The comeback was also due to some refereeing mistakes which lead to two penalties (one was deserved, the other was not). It was also due to silly defensive mistakes from Arsenal. It's exactly like Chelsea vs. United.

Coming back from 3-0 down isn't easy, especially at SB. Regardless of Webb's incompetence, Chelsea should have ended the game as soon as they had a comfortable lead. They let their guard down when they scored the third goal, and depended on their unorganized defense. After Rooney's first penalty, I knew a comeback is nearing. I guess that's why United will always have that 'character of a champion', and through that I am sure they can win the title this year.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

So! Let's make a quick summary of everything that has happened in these last two weeks!

Champions League:

-> Lyonnaise look set to go but I don't really trust Apoel at all, specially in Cyprus. It's going to be interesting to see how it ends. Still, the French have the upper hand here, a 1-0 at home is a very good result. (1-0)

-> Leverkusen will certainly enjoy their touristic trip to Barcelona, and take some nice pictures of the beach and the historical zones in the city as the locals start thinking about their quarterfinals match. (1-3)

-> Zenit and Benfica are head-to-head and I actually think Benfica have a better chance to move on than the Russians. One goal at home should be easy. (3-2)

-> Milan will spend a nice day sightseeing in London, but for the opposite reasons to Leverkusen. (4-0 Arsenal)

-> CSKA managed to survive at home, but it's highly unlikely that they'll survive Madrid. Very. (1-1)

-> Naples will probably take Milan's recomendations as to what to visit in London. There is a small chance of Chelsea winning though, although, for some reason, I can't quite see a 2-0 at the Bridge right now... (3-1)

-> Bayern, I know you can do better. Seriously, that was too poor for a host like you. Basel shouldn't stand a chance in Germany, but hey, they did kick United out of the group stage... (1-0)

Europa League

-> Metalist - Olympiacos: After a 8-1 win, Metalis sounds kinda scary. Let's see what they can do in Greece.

-> M. City - Sporting Portugal: Obviously City are the favourites. How far will they make it?

-> Standard - Hannover: Can't honestly say, a very equal match.

-> Valencia - PSV: I'll be rooting for the Spaniards, of course, but... it's going to be hard at best.

-> Odinese - AZ: On paper, Udinese should win, but AZ isn't too bad either.

-> Atlético - Besiktas: Obviously, WE should win this one. Although Turkey is a difficult place to play.

-> M. United - Athletic: Well, United are the favourites despite today's disaster XD Athletic will go to Old Trafford without one of their best defenders too. (But again, I'd rather see our brother team win!).

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Bah, shame the team I support in Legia lost, but Sporting were the better team.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
mondays suck
:)

I didn't get to watch the game, but: Contrary to what the media might tell you, we did not just lose horribly against France. The truth is: we won against a horrible Ireland and thus broke our tradition of completely messing up the final test before great tournaments.
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

I'm saw England and Germany had a lot of fun at home tonight. Holland are once again looking very threatening and France have certainly moved on from their recent disasters.

We played Venezuela tonight (5-0) so it isn't as clear a test as most of the other matches have been, but I know one thing for sure: Torres should definitely leave his place to Soldado. I'm sorry because I always liked him but... their recent streaks are complete opposites.

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Nuke

People seem to be appalled at the choice of Parker as captain. To be fair he's hardly even a certified England regular but he just seems like the only logical choice apart from Lampard and this is only for one game.

If Gerrard gets the captaincy I give up on this country.

As for the result, it's quite respectable against superior opposition.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links