• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'd be happy to tell you:
NiGHTS is a series of two games: one on the Saturn(Nights into Dreams), the other on the Wii(Journey of Dreams). It's pretty much the definitive video game cult classic, I highly recommend playing them if you get the chance.

It's basically about this dream jester(named NiGHTS, with those capitals) who was created by the god of nightmares to haunt kids dreams and steal their Ideya(which is basically your personality given an actual form) so the nightmare god can take over the world of dreams and the waking world. NiGHTS doesn't like being ordered around or bullies(he had to be given free will when he was made, long story), so he rebels against the nightmares and helps out the hapless kids nightmares attack in a personal war against them.

In the RP I'm going to make, the players will RP those luckless kids and help NiGHTS get rid of the nightmare god, fighting personal issues given form(It's a dream world) and the still loyal nightmares(there's an entire race of em).

Last edited:

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
I seriously know who NIGHTS is, & this is the first time I hear his story. I don't know why you would do a NIGHTS RP, no offense.

Years
Well, no harm done doing something a bit different, right? I remember you guys saying before that you wanted a non-Pokemon RP, and well, I was talking about making one. Any universe can have a good RP if it's done right.

Oh, and Curious, what exactly do you need clearing up on?

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
Ok here is two things I dislike about many of the ideas thrown up with Magic:

1: The requirement of a wand/staff. I like it where a wand/staff/focus (aka trinket of sorts) is something someone uses to ASSIST their ability to focus magic but is not a requirement. That and why does it always have to be a wand or staff? Something a little different would be nice so that not everyone is waving sticks. (Big +1 for Skyrim here... I can be a Mage running around in Heavy armor and no stick.... ya I don't get the robe's magic bonuses but I'm not so stereotypical).

2: Lack of Magical diversity. We have fire, water, nature, light (holy), and dark (mustache twisting EVIL)... Ok? What if I want to make a Mage that uses magic that creates illusions, or twists the mind ever so carefully? Nope I'm forced to control trees or throw fire.

One idea (requires a good Mod) is to lay down the ground work for "common" magic but allow players to make another line of magic if A: they help set the limits B: have a really good back story behind it that fits with the setting. Of coarse this could get out of hand :p.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

1: The requirement of a wand/staff. I like it where a wand/staff/focus (aka trinket of sorts) is something someone uses to ASSIST their ability to focus magic but is not a requirement. That and why does it always have to be a wand or staff? Something a little different would be nice so that not everyone is waving sticks. (Big +1 for Skyrim here... I can be a Mage running around in Heavy armor and no stick.... ya I don't get the robe's magic bonuses but I'm not so stereotypical).

2: Lack of Magical diversity. We have fire, water, nature, light (holy), and dark (mustache twisting EVIL)... Ok? What if I want to make a Mage that uses magic that creates illusions, or twists the mind ever so carefully? Nope I'm forced to control trees or throw fire.

One idea (requires a good Mod) is to lay down the ground work for "common" magic but allow players to make another line of magic if A: they help set the limits B: have a really good back story behind it that fits with the setting. Of coarse this could get out of hand :p.

Thanks for commenting on that xD Anyways, for the first point that you've covered, I'll keep that in mind, and actually edit some of that too. One reason it's been kept this way is to keep knights/swordsman and mages kinda equal.

If a swordsman loses his sword, he becomes practically defenseless. He has no way to fight back, except for his fists (which will probably not get you very far in a fight in this world). Same way, if a mage loses his/her wand/staff, they will also be in a similar position like the knights.

As for the second point, illusions can be covered in light/'holy' magic. Tbh all kinds of light magic can be covered in white magic. I'll add that in. As for controlling/twisting people, it's going to be considered a part of black magic, therefore forbidden. I had actually thought of that bit, about controlling people, but decided against it. Think of it like the Imperius Curse in Harry Potter. If a spell takes away the freedom of a human, it is considered illegal.

Though taking control of animals and plants is taken care of in Green Magic.

Also, I do really think I have set just a few common types of magic. :/ I intend to make people use whatever spells they wish to use, in those certain types of magic. There are no 'set' spells, it's not going to be like Pokemon moves. But yes, I agree with the last point. I have laid out those kinds of magic, for people to follow. People can invent their own kind of magic, provided their SUs have a reason to justify how and why they stumbled upon that kind of magic.

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
Years
@DeepImpact Some questions. 1. What about time magic? I know I might be not so good in magic, but I remember seeing magics which hasten or stop beings.

2. So what else you've got except mages? Do you have any progress in other classes?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

Agreed. Too bad my computer is STUPID so I'm on my phone so I don't have the patience to add to that. For now I'll just keep writing stuff in my notebook and see what I come up with
oh, and Samartha Melon, when I was elxplaining the differences between different types of spellcasters, I forgot to say that sorcerers summon spirits to help them.
That's all for now ;P

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
@DeepImpact

Ok on Mind powers I was not directly talking about pure mind control as much as manipulation. Basically you could plant ideas or thoughts in ones mind or go as far as making their senses go haywire (cause their nervous system to go haywire making them paralyzed for a short time or FEEL like they are walking through sand up to their waist). Or simply make them see (and even feel) something that isn't there. I can see how that would work.

Also on an idea on power balance is to make Magic very dangerous to the user as well. Something like in the Dragon Age or Warhammer universe where magic is drawn to this realm from another realm that is also home to powerful magical beings (IE demons) who seek to enter this realm. So whenever a mage pulls magic from their realm they risk attracting such beasts who will try to corrupt/possess/attack the magic user. Also this adds another level of complexity for the Magic user as they are forced to resist temptations/attacks of these creatures in their minds.

OR all Spells actually take a few seconds to focus/chant correctly and this can be interrupted by getting hit or just plain losing focus (miss say a word or lose your focus for a second and the spell fails). So a Mage will NEVER be able to cast anything without extreme discipline while getting attacked. Kind of hard to focus energy when someone is trying to take your head off with a sword...

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
@DeepImpact Some questions. 1. What about time magic? I know I might be not so good in magic, but I remember seeing magics which hasten or stop beings.

2. So what else you've got except mages? Do you have any progress in other classes?

Time... well, no. People tend to go out of hand when concerned with time magic. Even if I DO end up adding time magic, it will not be done by any player in the RP. Mostly NPCs in that case, that too only for the plot.

Also I haven't been able to work at ALL on the RP because I had a test and I haven't been well recently :(

Agreed. Too bad my computer is STUPID so I'm on my phone so I don't have the patience to add to that. For now I'll just keep writing stuff in my notebook and see what I come up with
oh, and Samartha Melon, when I was elxplaining the differences between different types of spellcasters, I forgot to say that sorcerers summon spirits to help them.
That's all for now ;P

HUSH YOU LOL

Anyways, spirits, like I said, are forbidden, so lol no.

@DeepImpact

Ok on Mind powers I was not directly talking about pure mind control as much as manipulation. Basically you could plant ideas or thoughts in ones mind or go as far as making their senses go haywire (cause their nervous system to go haywire making them paralyzed for a short time or FEEL like they are walking through sand up to their waist). Or simply make them see (and even feel) something that isn't there. I can see how that would work.

Also on an idea on power balance is to make Magic very dangerous to the user as well. Something like in the Dragon Age or Warhammer universe where magic is drawn to this realm from another realm that is also home to powerful magical beings (IE demons) who seek to enter this realm. So whenever a mage pulls magic from their realm they risk attracting such beasts who will try to corrupt/possess/attack the magic user. Also this adds another level of complexity for the Magic user as they are forced to resist temptations/attacks of these creatures in their minds.

OR all Spells actually take a few seconds to focus/chant correctly and this can be interrupted by getting hit or just plain losing focus (miss say a word or lose your focus for a second and the spell fails). So a Mage will NEVER be able to cast anything without extreme discipline while getting attacked. Kind of hard to focus energy when someone is trying to take your head off with a sword...

Tbh I can see how that works too. I'll add that, but yes, there will be lots of limits on that. I don't want absolutely everything to be a cakewalk in this RP for the mages.

I'll go with the second option, actually. I have added that the mages are usually patient and have to have focus, otherwise they won't get anywhere. Naturally, moderate damage or slightly powerful spells will require some focus, while minor spells, like say, creating a small sized fireball won't take a lot of focus and can be conjured immediately. Same with the knight, to be able to just slash is easy, but to attack with a powerful technique, one will require precision and power, so you'll have to focus in battle.

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
Ok here I advertise my RP, it have been accepted the link is Here. If I will see that people start joining it I will also post the maps of the regions, and maybe detail more about Obilion. Just that now I dont have any motivation to do that. The RP is about 8 young mens and womens that found themselves in Obilion a world in another dimension. Each one of them control an element, at their 16 birthday they start to find out what it is. When they arrive at Obilion they are in a middle of a siege. Join the battle vs "Void", in this fantasy AND Sci-Fi RP[when you read this you will found out how] and be Elemental!!

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Hey everyone, mind if i start a new topic? Why did you start Roleplaying?

Never thought I'd be asked this question. Well I've been reading different fanfiction stories from other websites like Kingdom Hearts, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon etc. I was so enthrilled by it I wanted to be in a story like them. I looked for websites where I can do that, when I found one website about roleplaying. It got me curious & I checked it out. I found my goal, where I can be who I wanna be.

Of course I looked for different websites involving roleplaying. Then I thought of Pokemon. I tried looking for a website like that & I found Pokecommunity. I checked out the Roleplay Corner & got aquientent with it. It took me a while to figure out stuff before I started roleplaying. My first RP was a mystery dungeon RP, & the rest I joined more & more. Some died, some got more members. It was great being someone else.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Why did you start Roleplaying?

Hmm... I was active on PC long before I started RPing. Then I went away from PC for a couple of months and when I returned I suddenly only posted in the RP Corner. Tbh I think it was because I felt like developing my English writing skills, missed thinking about pokémon and because this section looked so loose and echoing at that time ;; (late 2010) I wanted to make it come alive and I wanted to understand what about RPing that captivated so many others. So I posted. And alive this place became <3

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
@Marin: I know, I figured I have extra free time, so I think I can juggle them :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back