The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 30th, 2012 (05:27 PM).
masterquestmq
Enthusiastic Rom Hacker

working with JPAN's engine

can't seem to make the S.S.Anne appear
is ASM needed for this?
Old January 30th, 2012 (06:16 PM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquestmq View Post
working with JPAN's engine

can't seem to make the S.S.Anne appear
is ASM needed for this?
I'm using JPANs hack engine as well, and I made it appear just fine. Set the picture number to 151 to make it appear (it doesn't show up on A-map, but it will in-game)

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old January 30th, 2012 (09:49 PM).
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Does anybody know if someone made tiles of the interior of Black/White's Pokecenter?

If so, where could I find them?
Old January 31st, 2012 (04:19 AM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
Does anybody know if someone made tiles of the interior of Black/White's Pokecenter?

If so, where could I find them?
Well Anbuja's_BlooDY has made B/W Indoor tiles. He hasn't released them to the public but you could ask without bothering him. Otherwise there aren't really any out there so you could try to make your own or hire someone to do it for you. Hop this helps.

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
Old January 31st, 2012 (05:11 PM).
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Do you have "automatically fix pointers" checked?
Yeah, I do. Should I not?
Also, if I do something (for example, change out the background of the title screen), and then close unLZ-GBA, when I reopen the rom, all of the offsets are screwed up and then the APE can't find the palettes and everything is just a mess.
Is there any way to prevent this? I tried copying each copy of the rom as I went forward in an effort to back it up, but my computer keeps restarting overnight and then the offsets are all messed up when I reopen the rom... I've had to redo this thing probably 5 or 6 times.
Old January 31st, 2012 (05:28 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWURMPLES! View Post
Yeah, I do. Should I not?
Also, if I do something (for example, change out the background of the title screen), and then close unLZ-GBA, when I reopen the rom, all of the offsets are screwed up and then the APE can't find the palettes and everything is just a mess.
Is there any way to prevent this? I tried copying each copy of the rom as I went forward in an effort to back it up, but my computer keeps restarting overnight and then the offsets are all messed up when I reopen the rom... I've had to redo this thing probably 5 or 6 times.
Well I can't seem to think of your problem other than the "automatically fix pointers" but I'm guessing the computer restarting doesn't help. You should try unchecking it. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what's wrong. If you could get some screenshots with something like PrintKey it would be helpful. Like a before, saving and after screen.

~coming soon~
Old January 31st, 2012 (05:38 PM).
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Well I can't seem to think of your problem other than the "automatically fix pointers" but I'm guessing the computer restarting doesn't help. You should try unchecking it. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what's wrong. If you could get some screenshots with something like PrintKey it would be helpful. Like a before, saving and after screen.
Oh, okay. I'll try, after I redo everything... I'll probably have to get around to it this weekend.
And it's weird. If I leave my computer running and reopen the rom, everything is fine. If I open up another copy of the same stage that I made as a backup, everything is messed up. If I restart my computer, everything is messed up.
Old January 31st, 2012 (05:59 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Quote:
Oh, okay. I'll try, after I redo everything... I'll probably have to get around to it this weekend.
And it's weird. If I leave my computer running and reopen the rom, everything is fine. If I open up another copy of the same stage that I made as a backup, everything is messed up. If I restart my computer, everything is messed up.
Well that's very odd my you seem to be a smart but curios person so I'm sure you can figure it out. Good luck. Come back if that still doesn't work.

~coming soon~
Old January 31st, 2012 (06:04 PM).
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Well that's very odd my you seem to be a smart but curios person so I'm sure you can figure it out. Good luck. Come back if that still doesn't work.
Thank you :D
It's just... odd. I've had to restart my progress over five or six times now... It's actually getting very frustrating.
Old January 31st, 2012 (11:45 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Thank you :D
It's just... odd. I've had to restart my progress over five or six times now... It's actually getting very frustrating.
Always back up your ROM
That's the only thing I can suggest.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 1st, 2012 (03:27 PM).
OMGWURMPLES!
För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

Always back up your ROM
That's the only thing I can suggest.
I do, at every step I take. It still seems to get messed up. D:
Old February 2nd, 2012 (07:17 PM).
paranvoi
Beginning Trainer

What tool can I use to edit the text of a Pokémon Fire Red ROM (for a translation)? I'm using advance text right now to edit the dialogue (as well as some other programs to edit item text, attack text and the pokedex) but I'm unable to edit battle text, map text and menu text, as well as trainer names (+ probably more). Someone else told me I need to use relative searching with a hex editor. I downloaded WindHex but I literally do not understand anything in that program at all... the guy tried to explain how I have to search for the text using the "relative difference between characters" but, I'm sorry, could I get that in English please??? He gave me some example strings (like 03 01 02 0E) to search for, but I searched for them in WindHex and got the same error every time: "Sorry, the string was not found". And what is all this I'm reading about having to build a table first?

It'd be really nice if someone could explain this to me. I've googled and everything but there aren't any walkthroughs available, nor would walkthroughs even help me because I need someone to explain it to me. :\ Because I have literally no experience with ROM hacking whatsoever...
Old February 2nd, 2012 (07:25 PM). Edited February 2nd, 2012 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranvoi View Post
What tool can I use to edit the text of a Pokémon Fire Red ROM (for a translation)? I'm using advance text right now to edit the dialogue (as well as some other programs to edit item text, attack text and the pokedex) but I'm unable to edit battle text, map text and menu text, as well as trainer names (+ probably more). Someone else told me I need to use relative searching with a hex editor. I downloaded WindHex but I literally do not understand anything in that program at all... the guy tried to explain how I have to search for the text using the "relative difference between characters" but, I'm sorry, could I get that in English please??? He gave me some example strings (like 03 01 02 0E) to search for, but I searched for them in WindHex and got the same error every time: "Sorry, the string was not found". And what is all this I'm reading about having to build a table first?

It'd be really nice if someone could explain this to me. I've googled and everything but there aren't any walkthroughs available, nor would walkthroughs even help me because I need someone to explain it to me. :\ Because I have literally no experience with ROM hacking whatsoever...
XSE or PKSV can decompile scripts pretty easily. Also search some tutorials.
Spoiler:
00=
01=À
02=Á
03=Â
04=Ç
05=È
06=É
07=Ê
08=Ë
09=Ì
0B=Î
0C=Ï
0D=Ò
0E=Ó
0F=Ô
10=Œ
11=Ù
12=Ú
13=Û
14=Ñ
15=ß
16=à
17=á
19=ç
1A=è
1B=é
1C=ê
1D=ë
1E=ì
20=î
21=ï
22=ò
23=ó
24=ô
25=œ
26=ù
27=ú
28=û
29=ñ
2A=º
2B=ª
2C=·
2D=&
2E=+
34=[Lv]
35==
36=;
51=¿
52=¡
53=[PK]
54=[MN]
55=[PO]
56=[Ke]
57=[BL]
58=[OC]
59=[K]
5A=Í
5B=%
5C=(
5D=)
68=â
6F=í
79=[u]
7A=[D]
7B=[L]
7C=[R]
A1=0
A2=1
A3=2
A4=3
A5=4
A6=5
A7=6
A8=7
A9=8
AA=9
AB=!
AC=?
AD=.
AE=-
AF=·
B0=[...]
B1="
B2=["]
B3='
B4=[']
B5=[m]
B6=[f]
B7=$
B8=,
B9=[x]
BA=/
BB=A
BC=B
BD=C
BE=D
BF=E
C0=F
C1=G
C2=H
C3=I
C4=J
C5=K
C6=L
C7=M
C8=N
C9=O
CA=P
CB=Q
CC=R
CD=S
CE=T
CF=U
D0=V
D1=W
D2=X
D3=Y
D4=Z
D5=a
D6=b
D7=c
D8=d
D9=e
DA=f
DB=g
DC=h
DD=i
DE=j
DF=k
E0=l
E1=m
E2=n
E3=o
E4=p
E5=q
E6=r
E7=s
E8=t
E9=u
EA=v
EB=w
EC=x
ED=y
EE=z
EF=[>]
F0=:
F1=Ä
F2=Ö
F3=Ü
F4=ä
F5=ö
F6=ü
F7=[u]
F8=[d]
F9=[l]
FA=\l
FB=\p
FC=\c
FD=\v
FE=\n
FF=\x
Also if you're going to do any work you're going to post here you might as well search to see if that language hasn't been already taken. And also check if the ROM supports all the characters in your language, as the ROM is not in Unicode, so a majority of languages must be re-fonted to add support to other languages.

Old February 2nd, 2012 (10:22 PM).
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Before you open your ROM via Unlz-GBA, I suggest you first delete two files with the extensions .spr and .pal
edit: the files are located on the same location where your ROM is.
And after you deleted those files, Unlz-GBA will reset locating the things in your ROM.
Spoiler:

That's what I always do when I change something in my ROM via Unlz-GBA, especially if I assigned an offset for repointing.
Old February 3rd, 2012 (08:04 AM). Edited February 3rd, 2012 by Darkdata.
Darkdata
15 year old me was an idiot.

Nature: Calm
The Pokemon games use uncompressed strings. And they are easy to repoint and work with.

Here is a table file:
Code:
00= 
01=À
02=Á
03=Â
04=Ç
05=È
06=É
07=Ê
08=Ë
09=Ì
0B=Î
0C=Ï
0D=Ò
0E=Ó
0F=Ô
10=Œ
11=Ù
12=Ú
13=Û
14=Ñ
15=ß
16=à
17=á
19=ç
1A=è
1B=é
1C=ê
1D=ë
1E=ì
20=î
21=ï
22=ò
23=ó
24=ô
25=œ
26=ù
27=ú
28=û
29=ñ
2A=º
2B=ª
2D=&
2E=+
34=[Lv]
35==
36=;
51=¿
52=¡
53=[pk]
54=[mn]
55=[po]
56=[ké]
57=[bl]
58=[oc]
59=[k]
5A=Í
5B=%
5C=(
5D=)
68=â
6F=í
79=[U]
7A=[D]
7B=[L]
7C=[R]
85=<
86=>
A1=0
A2=1
A3=2
A4=3
A5=4
A6=5
A7=6
A8=7
A9=8
AA=9
AB=!
AC=?
AD=.
AE=-
AF=·
B0=...
B1=«
B2=»
B3='
B4='
B5=|m|
B6=|f|
B7=$
B8=,
B9=*
BA=/
BB=A
BC=B
BD=C
BE=D
BF=E
C0=F
C1=G
C2=H
C3=I
C4=J
C5=K
C6=L
C7=M
C8=N
C9=O
CA=P
CB=Q
CC=R
CD=S
CE=T
CF=U
D0=V
D1=W
D2=X
D3=Y
D4=Z
D5=a
D6=b
D7=c
D8=d
D9=e
DA=f
DB=g
DC=h
DD=i
DE=j
DF=k
E0=l
E1=m
E2=n
E3=o
E4=p
E5=q
E6=r
E7=s
E8=t
E9=u
EA=v
EB=w
EC=x
ED=y
EE=z
EF=|>|
F0=:
F1=Ä
F2=Ö
F3=Ü
F4=ä
F5=ö
F6=ü
F7=|A|
F8=|V|
F9=|<|
FA=|nb|
FB=|nb2|
FC=|FC|
FD=|FD|
FE=|br|
FF=|end|
If you load this, you should be able to see any string you search for. To repoint a string, say this guy:

First, search for his string in a hex editor, I use WINDHEX, so I can load a table and search in ASCII characters directly. When I look for it, I find it at 0x17d80d

Now, saw there was not enough room for this string, first I need to find the pointer to it, to do that, you take the bytes, and reverse the order. So 0x17d80d -> [17] [D8] [0D] becomes [0d] [d8] [17], we then add an [08] to the end.

So, [0d] [d8] [17] [08] (0DD81708) is what we search for! After searching, we find it at 0x165831. Keep note of this.

Now, we just need to find some free space. There's about 3MB of free space floating around for anyone to use, just look around 0x800000. So i'll just use that.

So, I insert/write my new text into that slot.
[img width=640 height=54]http://i.imgur.com/Benl7.png[/img]
Now, we just convert 0x800000 into a pointer the same way we did the old text: [80] [00] [00] -> [00] [00] [80] [08] adding [08] to the end like normal.

Now we go back to the first text pointer we found: 0DD81708 at 0x165831, remember? and replace that pointer (0DD81708) with our new one (00008008).

FE=|br|, is the first linebreak you make, then you use FB=|nb2|, for each line after in the same box. To make a new box appear, you use FA=|nb|. Always have a [FF] at the end to terminate the string.
Old February 4th, 2012 (04:49 AM).
DealNotTheDevil

Hi, I wanted to check if one can create a new behavioural byte for pokemon emerald,
Because I am attempting to create a "super region",
And I want kanto maps that I port into Emerald to play kanto battle themes and wild encounter themes when I am on those maps!
Old February 4th, 2012 (09:05 AM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealNotTheDevil View Post
Hi, I wanted to check if one can create a new behavioural byte for pokemon emerald,
And I want kanto maps that I port into Emerald to play kanto battle themes and wild encounter themes when I am on those maps!
Well if you want to put FireRed themes into Emerald you will have to overwrite the themes of emerald. Then you can use A-Map for needs of changing what music plays in each map.

~coming soon~
Old February 4th, 2012 (11:21 AM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DealNotTheDevil View Post
I would consult this tutorial on how to switch between two different tracks for different regions. It allows you to have "replace" a track with another track, easy peasy.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old February 5th, 2012 (04:21 AM).
PaulieCZ
Beginning Trainer

me and my brother are new here and we decided to try make our own hack. However, we have some difficulties with editing pallets and inserting new tiles. We searched forum and followed few walkthrought here but still we can't edit that with proper success.

So, here is the problem.
We want to use some of these(those ice blocks) on weasleyfg.weebly.com (projectmarnianregionl00.png), but we just can't put them into the rom (FireRed). Point is, that when we try to insert them, the final pallet and block edit is in different color scheme. Any ideas what are we doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice
Old February 5th, 2012 (08:02 AM).
DealNotTheDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I would consult tutorial on how to switch between two different tracks for different regions. It allows you to have "replace" a track with another track, easy peasy.
I came across that site before,
And I attempted to copy it on firered
But I messed up.

Perhaps you can reguide me through the steps,
cause if I can mess up such an elaborate tutorial,
It pretty much means I misunderstood a certain step.
(though it mighht have been my final script that I messed up with)..

also, I'm trying to do that on emerald, and I'm not sure what different offsets it uses
Old February 5th, 2012 (12:30 PM).
Speedster
The Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieCZ View Post
Hello people,

me and my brother are new here and we decided to try make our own hack. However, we have some difficulties with editing pallets and inserting new tiles. We searched forum and followed few walkthrought here but still we can't edit that with proper success.

So, here is the problem.
We want to use some of these(those ice blocks) on weasleyfg.weebly.com (projectmarnianregionl00.png), but we just can't put them into the rom (FireRed). Point is, that when we try to insert them, the final pallet and block edit is in different color scheme. Any ideas what are we doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice
Well in most tutorials they explain how the tiles you insert MUST match the colors of tiles already in the game. Either wise the newly inserted tiles will have an odd looking pallet. You could also change a pallet but if you change the pallet of a highly used one the tiles already in game will get messed up. For a suggestion you could edit the pallet of Pallet #7 which is usually 2 colors (black and pink) and no tiles use that pallet so you can use it yourself. Hope this clears things up.

~coming soon~
Old February 5th, 2012 (04:29 PM).
redriders180

Quote:
Well in most tutorials they explain how the tiles you insert MUST match the colors of tiles already in the game. Either wise the newly inserted tiles will have an odd looking pallet. You could also change a pallet but if you change the pallet of a highly used one the tiles already in game will get messed up. For a suggestion you could edit the pallet of Pallet #7 which is usually 2 colors (black and pink) and no tiles use that pallet so you can use it yourself. Hope this clears things up.
In addition to this, I'd like to point out that the Pallate for everything from 7 down changes depending on the tileset, so you'll have to change all the pallates for the tilesets you're using. However, with a little searching around, you can usually find a pallate you currently have with the colors you need. Pallate 3 for Firered has plenty of white and grays, as well as blue, so you can go that route too. I don't know about RSE thought, but I'm sure you can find one.

Old February 6th, 2012 (06:38 PM).
J_Dawg
Beginning Trainer

ok i'm a little new to all this, so please just bear with me. now i've serched all day and i just cant seem to find out how to write a complex level script for fire red. im trying to change the begining prof. oak script for when you try to leave town, i understand how to script but i just need a little visual on how it should look..also i was wondering if there was a way to add pokemon without replacing any
Old February 6th, 2012 (06:51 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dawg View Post
ok i'm a little new to all this, so please just bear with me. now i've serched all day and i just cant seem to find out how to write a complex level script for fire red. im trying to change the begining prof. oak script for when you try to leave town, i understand how to script but i just need a little visual on how it should look..also i was wondering if there was a way to add pokemon without replacing any
If you know how to make any sort of script, then a level script shouldn't be too much of a problem since it is largely identical, apart from how it is assigned to a map rather than a person/ tile. This tutorial has enough documentation and directions to help you insert you first levelscript.

There is currently a FR patch that is being made which will include all 649 Pokemon when it is fully released so you won't have to replace anything. On the other hand, if you want to insert some now, you can replace the 25 empty slots in between Celebi and Treecko as they are currently unused - Here is a tutorial on how to insert them with Wichu's tools.
Old February 6th, 2012 (07:47 PM). Edited February 6th, 2012 by J_Dawg.
J_Dawg
Beginning Trainer

so basically a level script is a regular script, just set to a map right?

and i can select 1 of the free 25 slots to add something? the way i was reading the tutorial i was thinking that it had to be a pokemon already represented with a picture

anyways thanx that helped alot
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links