The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:22 AM
sethiey
*Doing nothing*

Nature: Lax
Shananagins, idk w/e mewtwo phhht who needs mewtwo?

Shananagins, idk w/e mewtwo phhht who needs mewtwo? legendarys -.-

Want you hack tested/played? Just PM and i could start a Lets play!

Last edited by sethiey; February 19th, 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
BungiePhantom
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
I remember that rumor, But I tried to debunk it when I was a kid because I always tried the stupid DEFETELITE4WITHBUgS9999TIMES cheats. (the dodrio game boy tower helped a lot) and I found out you can catch him with pokeballs. I was proud of myself
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Outkin
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

Nature: Quirky
Mind over matter and coincidence, thats what happens most of the time.I remember how I got hooked wit pokemon....I found a book that had the orignal 150 pokemon (No mew cuz they were evil) and all sorts of interesting "Facts" that got me thinking some interesting things. The important thing is in the book it sad that mewtwo can't stand to be in a pokeball, so therefore a mater ball must be used. Also that same book made me believe bulbasaur was hard to catch in the wild (wut?) so I ended up picking it as my starter.

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Arcaray
Tetris God.

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Arcaray
When I was younger, my friend tried to persuade me that if you talk to Prof. Elm over and over again, he'd stop telling you he'd "call if anything comes up", and will get annoyed and give you a GS ball.

I'd like to add that I wasn't gullible enough to believe him.
// " "

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore.

Soul Silver Friend Code - 0518-8038-5103
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Jorgomli

Nature: Lonely
I only just found out about catch rates like....a couple years ago. Except for the Masterball, of course.

I always take it as a personal challenge to catch all of the legendaries with anything other than Masterballs. I caught my Reshiram in Black with just a regular pokeball, and it felt amazing to do so.

Still, I always either do A+Down or A+Left or B+Down. Idk, I have heard that there is some insane math involved when the game calculates whether a pokemon is caught when you throw the ball at it, and that any button-mashing does nothing, but I still push the buttons. Like vizarod said in an earlier post, "It's a force of habit".
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
CrypticTerror
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Bold
I used masterball because i didn't want to put so much effort into it seeing as he was the last legendary but if i feel like having fun i use lesser balls now days i try to get everything without masterballs its just more fun to me anyways
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Lol I've never heard of that rumor before, the only rumor I knew of was the one of Mew supposedly being under the truck, but I tried and could never even interact with it so I knew that probably wasn't true.
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
jbthedelirious
Beginning Trainer

I heard of the rumor, but it was after I had already played RBY. I did use the Master Ball on him, but I don't remember why. Knowing me, it was probably because I had forgotten to buy Ultra Balls.
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Lol I've never heard of that rumor before, the only rumor I knew of was the one of Mew supposedly being under the truck, but I tried and could never even interact with it so I knew that probably wasn't true.
Only in FRLG could that truck be useful. It gives you lava cookies. XD
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM
crowdsourceinspiration
Beginning Trainer

I think some people are missing the real point to hitting down/up and B when they throw a Pokeball...I don't think I ever really believed it upped my chances, but it was fun to believe it did...gaming is full of absurd, faith-based actions like that...as gamers I bet we do countless, pointless tricks like that that we think are important but have no effect on the game engine/math. I'm going to try to contemplate some others...
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Treviso
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I catched Mewtwo with an Ultra Ball, because I thought it wouldn't be right catching the strongest Pokémon with a Master Ball. I mean, he deserves an epic fight, right?
I had a quite useless Master Ball, until I found a Shiny Geodude (FR).
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Mikke
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdsourceinspiration View Post
I think some people are missing the real point to hitting down/up and B when they throw a Pokeball...I don't think I ever really believed it upped my chances, but it was fun to believe it did...gaming is full of absurd, faith-based actions like that...as gamers I bet we do countless, pointless tricks like that that we think are important but have no effect on the game engine/math. I'm going to try to contemplate some others...
Speak for yourself. I don't game to perform pointless "absurd, faith-based actions" that have no effect whatsoever (especially when playing RPGs that are heavily stat-based).
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
MattyJ
Serial Procrastinator

Nature: Brave
All this talk of pressing A/B to make it easier when catching Pokemon reminds me of a song...
Anyone here ever heard of "Pokemon, What Happened to You?" By Alex Day?
It also mentions the truck!!

I will admit, I always had a routine of sorts that involved pressing buttons when throwing Pokeballs to make catching easier. It's a way of life!
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Lilienne
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
I remember Mewtwo...I used the Master Ball on Articuno, and when I learned there was a Mewtwo as well, I was like "wait, wat?" So I battled it, put it to sleep, and spent 40 Ultra Balls and 20+ Great Balls on it. I started panicking because I only had the 3 Pokeballs left and didn't save so...throw Pokeball. Catch.

And ever since then, every legendary I have caught was with a Pokeball. I know, mathematically, it's kind of stupid, but I still never use anything else.
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Back when the only Pokemon games to play were RBY, I didn't know many other people who had the game. I didn't have the internet (lol, even for quite some time after) and I didn't really buy magazines about Pokemon/gaming, either. So I heard little to none of the rumours that most people would have heard back then; unfortunately this was one of them.
I did know a kid who liked to bs about the the games though, and he told me that Cerulean Cave had ridiculously strong Pokemon in it, and there were two Pokeballs at the end, and you had to choose one, and if you chose the wrong one, your GameBoy would permanently shut down and would never work again.

Anyway back to the topic, with Mewtwo being the rarest Pokemon in the game (bar Mew), I can understand the logic kids would have had in thinking he could only be caught with the MasterBall- what with there only being one Mewtwo and one MasterBall.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Never heard this rumour before.
It might just be because it was one of the harder Pokemon in the game and with recover, it was very difficult to catch, so it is an easy thing to believe.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I had never heard this rumor, but I saved the Master Ball for Mewtwo nonetheless. I didn't even really believe that the Master Ball worked 100% of the time, so I ended up battling Mewtwo and putting it to sleep before using the Master Ball.

I did remember hearing about the rumor of pressing B+Up turned your Poke Ball into a Master Ball, and even though it was probably only my mind playing tricks on me, it seemed to work almost all the time, so I kept using it. Even to this day, even though I know it doesn't do anything, I still press Up+B when trying to catch a Pokemon, but it's just out of ritual now.

Pokémon Trainer Brendan wants to battle!
Grovyle (Lv. 32) - Overgrow - (Leaf Blade, Energy Ball)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament: FINALE
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Sephirothxx
Pre-ordered Omega Ruby <3 I'll finally be up to date with Pokemon.

Nature: Relaxed
I knew it was not impossible to catch mewtwo without the master ball, but I always thought it would be super hard without it. So I to this day still save my master ball for him.
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:46 AM
Pieman50
Pokemon Maniac

Nature: Calm
I caught Mewtwo in a Premier Ball in Pokemon FireRed.

Just sayin.

*excluding the hyphens*
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I think I had heard this rumor, but I never believed it because I was the proud owner of a Red & Blue version guide that told me all about Cerulean Cave, though that guided called it the Unknown Dungeon.

Sponsored Links