The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavouriteax View Post
Yeah, I know this is hard to understand, but it's even harder to explain. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

Coming Soon!
-Editing “Pokemon Firered Version” text
-Editing "2004 Gamefreak inc" Text
-Editing the fire
I'm going to have to be an @$$ and say when soon? Once we get those out of the way I can make a Pokemon Aqua Blue title screen for lulz.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
pokéfanT
Beginning Trainer

How do you get charizard like that(the first picture under the paint page) in paint.

Last edited by pokéfanT; July 6th, 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Aw, YES!
I got it workin! Cheers, dude, your a legend!

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Wiggletghfh
The one and only, Wiggletghfh

Nature: Bold
what are the numbers for the title screen on emerald?

2622-0691-2966
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Ben.
Orange I s l a n d s~
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ben.
there is a much easyer way of doing with with no hex editor is much simpler but this is a grea tutorial

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Inferno-Ape
Nope.avi

Nature: Adamant
I did this with lugia, and when I imported lugia to the title screen it said "Error:Image is not Exdended." What am I supposed to Do?

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
indohekrz
Logged Out

I very need the GameFreak logo edit!!!
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
meganium14
ROFL

Nature: Timid
how do i rearange it in paint i have all the programs how do i arrange the pic in paint

how do i rearrange the pic in paint thats all i need please respond asap

Last edited by meganium14; July 30th, 2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
tboandfshady
Beginning Trainer

i was wonderingif there is any other way since it seems impossable

or if someone would be kind enuf to help me do one

i wanted one to have zapdos, moltres or articuno or all of them :D
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
me2hack
Graphics Artist

Nature: Quiet
The pallette part is kinda hard, but after trying a couple of times, it went.

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Nature: Relaxed
@ pokefanT: Find it, then click "save as"

@ Wiggletghfh: I don't remember try searching and if you see a piece of the title screen then it should be in that area.

@ Inferno-ape: Could you post a picture so we can help?

@ indoheckrz: Search in the same area as the other title screen pieces. Then it's the same process.

@ meganium14: You need to break it up into separate rectangles that are the length of the final product. Then, match each piece up according to it's place in the original. So in other words, the top bar in yours needs to match up with the top bar in the rectangle. I know that's confusing but it's the only way I can think of putting it.

@ tboandfshady: There is another way. It's called tilemap editing. It has more flexability but is still pretty difficult for first timers.

Sorry if I'm intruding myfavouriteax I was just trying to give some advice. I don't think you'll mind though, less typing for you!
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Hey guys!
*waves*

Updated my previous post.
The correct offset for the pallete of the charizard is 00EAD5E8.

Whoops...

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Owz
Beginning Pkn Hacker/Scripter

nice it worked but i coundnt change the color il try again in a litttle while
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
OM3GA Umbr30n
Was Mazot2

Nature: Relaxed
This isnt very n00b freindly but it is still a decent tutorial for un-lazy hackers.

Flareon's are Red,
Vaporeon's Blue,
Espeon is my concious,
Umbreon is my life-style

~Umbreon
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
RomGenius
Bad Ass ;)

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RomGenius
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomGenius View Post
How do you use UNLZ. I tried using it for my pokemon leaf green. Even downloaded it a few times. Still won't work. Will not reconize my ROM. And every other program will just not this one. Anyone know what's up with that or know of a program that will edit the title screen?
Close down all other programs that your rom is open in and hen try again. If that doesn't work, check the rom's header or download a new rom.
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
novluis323
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavouriteax View Post
Needed Programs:
-unLZ-GBA
-Gameboy Advance Emulator
-Hex Editor
-Advance Palette Editor (APE)

Needed unLZ-GBA numbers:
-2011 = the Charizard tilemap
-668-1498 = random pokemon sprites
-2013 = "Gamefreak inc." logo
-2009 = "Pokemon Firered Version" tilemap

Hacking the Title Screen

Open your rom and go to 2011. Select “Use Black/White”, and use the “+/-“ buttons until the picture looks like the one displayed.

Click “Save As”, and save it as a .png file. Click save as a second time, and save the same picture with a different name. Open the file in paint. Extend the workspace to allow yourself more workroom. Arrange the image as so. Save the finished image twice as well.

Next, select the black colour from the image, and clear it, so you’re left with only a black image in the same arrangement.

Now. Go back into unLZ-GBA, and find a pokemon you want to replace the Charizard with. I’m going to use Caterpie, because I’m lame. Make sure it is in Black and White before clicking save as. Open it in paint, and copy/paste it into clear space. Try to make it touch the back of the clear space.

We need to re-arrange the image back to it’s original form. Open the second, unedited Charizard picture you saved in step two, as well as the other second edited Charizard picture. Use both of these images as a reference, and move the blocks back into shape.

Yes, really. It’s supposed to look like this. Open up unLZ-GBA yet again, and go back to 2011. Click “Import”, and select the image you just saved. Click “Write to Rom”, and OK. Very good! It has been indexed into the game. Open up your emulator and check it out! Don’t get your hopes up however, we still need to palette edit!

Palette Editing the Title Screen
So you may notice the Caterpie looks a bit ridiculous. You'd have to be mental not to. The Caterpie is still in the Charizard's palette. Open up Advance Palette Editor and your Hex Editor (I'd recommend Hex Workshop). I think it's much easier to hex edit palettes then to use APE, but you may find differently. Open your rom in the emulator and maneuver to the title screen. Click Tools and Palette Viewer.

Now all you have to do is find the palette. I've circled it for you because I'm bored. Now we need to write down all ten of the the colours in hexadecimal. However, before we write them down, we need to separate and switch them. It sounds more difficult then it actually is. For example, the darkest colour in hex is 0x0004. We remove the "0x", and separate it into two groups of two numbers. 0004 would become 00 04. Then all you do is switch the two sets. 00 04 would now be 0400. It's that simple. If you do that for every colour in the palette, you will get 1F7C 1F7C 1F7C 0400 0600 0800 0B00 8F00 9300 D600 1901 7B01 FC01. Now put it all together and search for 1F7C1F7C1F7C0400060008000B008F009300D60019017B01FC01 in your hex editer.

Open up APE. This obviously is used to edit the palettes, but I much prefer hex editing, as it is MUCH easier. Go to Tools, and Colour Picker. Now, before I hear any remarks about how unprofessional this tutorial is about to become, I'll tell you that this part is rather unprofessional. Open up paint. Open a picture of your sprite in colour. Now, use this as a reference. Right now, I can see on the titlescreen that Caterpie's ... antler(?) is the darkest colour in Carizard's palette (0x0004), therefore, when we look at the sprite of Caterpie, we see that it is a medium tone of red. A lot of this is guessing and checking. We find that tone of red in APE's colour picker, copy down the four digit hex value, and replace the value in the Hex Editor.

Good, good. Now do that with every value (if needed) until your sprite is in its' original palette.

Now. The rest of the screen can be palette edited as well. Just follow the same basic steps. Open up VBA, and go to Palette Viewer. Find the colour of the object you wish to change (for example, the red bar at the top), search for the string of values, find a colour you want it to be, and replace. Here's the screen after I palette edited.

Yeah, I know this is hard to understand, but it's even harder to explain. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

Coming Soon!
-Editing “Pokemon Firered Version” text
-Editing "2004 Gamefreak inc" Text
-Editing the fire
The thing im tryin to do is change the light green sorta bluish to gray ive tryed lookin over and over and no luck
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
christopher salutes
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
I'm confused with this. i'm a begginer to this,i'm still confused with a lot of programs like this, like unlz.gba, every single time a make a sprite it's all glitchy.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
BlixxNova
THEY GOT EATEN BY WILD POKEMON

I do know that this is a rather late post, but I would like to know; is the Editing “Pokemon Firered Version” text up yet? I could really use that!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
aquablue
z

Nature: Quirky
Can someone that uses ntme to edit the title screen help me out? i put the sprite i want to change from charzard into the tile map and change the sprite from 0 to D. then i write it to the rom and dump the raw on tilemap 2012. for some reason the backgroung changed to all orange and the spite is the flames. ive followed youtube videos exactly and still get the same error occuring everytime. if you know how to resolve this issue plz let me know how. thx
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
BloodWang
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
This was of great help to my hack
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:20 AM
tamsheel
Unhatched Egg

How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all

How to remove the fire from titlescreen. Its showing in my screen. Plz help me someone. Pm me thanx to all

Last edited by tamsheel; February 23rd, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links