• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Pokémon site promotes return of Mewtwo

Overall, are you pleased by Mewtwo's "comeback"?

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Mewtwo's Minisite: http://www.pokemon.com/us/ex/mewtwo

Bulbanews said:
With the return of the Legendary Pokémon Mewtwo to two aspects of the franchise, the official Pokémon site has set up a minisite to celebrate the Pokémon.
The site advertises the upcoming TCG expansion Next Destinies, the Mewtwo-EX card available in the expansion, and the Explosive Edge Theme Deck. To further celebrate Mewtwo in the TCG, a Mewtwo shirt for Pokémon Trading Card Game Online avatars is available from Jan. 23 to March 1. The code for this can be obtained by playing Pokémon Trainer Club Spin and can be redeemed on the site for the game itself. On the other hand, the Pokémon TCG: Mewtwo Collection, which includes a Mewtwo figure, an oversized Mewtwo-EX card, a special Stadium card with art featuring Mewtwo and Kyurem, three Next Destinies booster packs, and a Pokémon Trading Card Game Online code card, will go on sale this April in participating Walmart stores.
Much like the Japanese distribution of Mewtwo last year under Pokémon Smash!, a Wi-Fi distribution will be available starting Feb. 12. The level 70 Mewtwo of a random nature will be in a Cherish Ball and will hold a King's Rock and a Premiere Ribbon. It will know the moves Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere and Electro Ball, the last of which is exclusive to the event. The Japanese distribution of this Pokémon was to commemorate the Japanese release of Pokémon Black and White.
Besides TCG- and game-related information, the site also has downloadable wallpapers related to both aspects of the franchise. The special episode The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon can also be streamed on the site. Anyone from around the world can view it since there are no region restrictions. Also worth noting is a timeline to represent the history of Mewtwo in the franchise, including three cards of it in the TCG, its appearances in Pokémon Red and Blue, Pokémon Stadium, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver and Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, and its starring roles in Pokémon: The First Movie and The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon.

Source: Pokemon.com; reported by Bulbanews
[URL]http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Official_Pok%C3%A9mon_site_promotes_return_of_Mewtwo[/URL]

Wasn't able to find this being discussed anywhere, unless I blatantly missed it... Anyway, what are your thoughts on the event(s)? Are you planning to obtain this limited-edition Mewtwo for Pokemon Black and White Versions? Are you planning to gather any of the Pokemon TCG items? Are you going to watch the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special online?

And finally, some snazzy Mewtwo wallpaper, although IMO it leaves something to be desired regarding the background. The central circle thing is nice, though.

Spoiler:

Mew-who?
-------------

As for my thoughts, I'm still holding out for the as-of-now-hypothetical "Gray Version", so I'll unfortunately be missing out on this giveaway, most likely. I'm glad that Mewtwo is making a triumphant return to the Pokemon scene, though, with a greater presence in the minds of Pokemon fans. Personally, I'm really hoping that this boost in attention towards Mewtwo gives him a better shot for consideration for inclusion in the roster of the 4th Super Smash Bros. installment. It would be a great opportunity IMO to let him fight alongside/against Lucario and, possibly, Zoroark. I mean, even the non-legendary Jigglypuff has a better appearance rate in the SSB series right now, and I hardly see any attention showered towards it outside of SSB fan circles.

Also, the "History of the Legend" feature on the Mewtwo minisite is nice, although it leaves out the Mewtwo Returns special and Mewtwo's presence as a collectible Trophy in Super Smash Brothers Brawl...

The official Pokemon website's hosting of Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon is a great move as well, although IMO it would have more impact if Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back and the TV/DVD special Mewtwo Returns were also featured alongside the Mastermind special. But from what I read on Bulbagarden Forums, apparently, there are a few "rights" issues regarding the distribution/presentation of some of the Pokemon movie releases...

Last edited:
Years
Anyway, What are your thoughts on the event(s)? Are you planning to obtain this limited-edition Mewtwo for Pokemon Black and POkemon White Versions? Are you planning to gather any of the Pokemon TCG items? Are you going to watch the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special online?

Yes, I am plaining to obtain the limited-edition Mewtwo for my game. Hopefully by the time it is available on 12 Feb, I'll have finished the Elite Four at least. XD I am such as low player of games, but my current plan is to get it when it's available.

And once again, yes, I will be getting as much of the TCG items as I can find. I have always been a sucker for those packs that contain the figurines in them, and this will be no different. I already got a place for the Mewtwo figurine, and I already got the Next Destinies folder ready for my card collection. I just have to wait for the set to officially be released, and them I'm ready to go shopping.

I'm not to sure on the video though. I haven't watched the special since it was originally released, so I might watch it for nostalgia purposes.

I do have to agree with you in that the wallpaper feels a little underwhelmed; like something is missing that is needed. Oh well. I'm sure someone out there will like it and use it, just not something for me.

GibbyGibson

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Years
Nice to see the purple dude getting some of the recognition he so richly deserves. Is there a sight more empowering than Mewtwo, shrouded in a ragged cape, staring out grimly across the darkened city streets in Wishmaker?

...Well, yes, probably. But that's not the point! :P I hope he flies back into the anime sometime soon.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
As for my thoughts, I'm still holding out for the as-of-now-hypothetical "Gray Version", so I'll unfortunately be missing out on this giveaway, most likely. I'm glad that Mewtwo is making a triumphant return to the Pokemon scene, though, with a greater presence in the minds of Pokemon fans. Personally, I'm really hoping that this boost in attention towards Mewtwo gives him a better shot for consideration for inclusion in the roster of the 4th Super Smash Bros. installment. It would be a great opportunity IMO to let him fight alongside/against Lucario and, possibly, Zoroark. I mean, even the non-legendary Jigglypuff has a better appearance rate in the SSB series right now, and I hardly see any attention showered towards it outside of SSB fan circles.

Also, the "History of the Legend" feature on the Mewtwo minisite is nice, although it leaves out the Mewtwo Returns special and Mewtwo's presence as a collectible Trophy in Super Smash Brothers Brawl...

The official Pokemon website's hosting of Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon is a great move as well, although IMO it would have more impact if Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back and the TV/DVD special Mewtwo Returns were also featured alongside the Mastermind special. But from what I read on Bulbagarden Forums, apparently, there are a few "rights" issues regarding the distribution/presentation of some of the Pokemon movie releases...
Mewtwo seems more marketable then Jigglypuff imo, so I'd think it would be more sense for it to be in SSB IV then Jigglypuff who I always though was sub-par. Although I definitely get the feeling Zoroark will be there.

This promote also may leave me to believe it may return in a movie and fight Genesect, although that's just a farfetched speculation, that I share with other fans out there.

I really do hope all this buzz for Mewtwo amounts to something.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
If I can get it here, I will.

Unfortunately for me, Nintendo Australia has a bad rep for not giving pokemon events, often.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I am so glad their doing this, Mewtwo has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. I quite like the moveset of the one their giveing away too.

Years
Yup, I just picked him up in my White. Awesome moveset, much better than the one you could catch in SoulSilver/HeartGold. I love the latest events, I mean that Halloween Banette was really cool.

Years
I can't say that I ever was a huge Mewtwo fan. I'm not particularly found of events wither, since they just waste box space. After all, I never really use these Pokemon. I guess it'd be pretty cool if he made a comeback in the anime.

Mewtwo seems more marketable then Jigglypuff imo, so I'd think it would be more sense for it to be in SSB IV then Jigglypuff who I always though was sub-par. Although I definitely get the feeling Zoroark will be there.
Jigs has a much better chance than Mewtwo due to her veteran status. It's almost crazy to think she'll ever be removed.

Jigs was astoundingly popular in Gen 1, which led to her inclusion in the original SSB. Her and the other members of the original roster possess "veteran immunity" which is the reason why it's very likely that they will never be removed. For Jigs it's really not a matter of popularity as much as it is consistency and tradition. Jigs is also one of the few feminine characters on the roster, and I believe Sakurai did say that he wanted to include more female characters. Zoraork has this perk too, assuming they'd be going off the movies like they did with Lucario.

Speaking of Lucario, I wouldn't get too attached to him if I were you.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Ye that's pretty cool, I've always liked Mewtwo so I'm definitely gonna get it. I don't know if I'll get the TCG, probably not since I don't collect them (it would be awesome to have but they're very expensive haha).

dash!

Epic
Years
I got this guy yesterday (as well an an Arceus, man was I excited about that one.) after googling any events planned this year. No TCG for me though.

Back