The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
A discussion on eReaders, Mystery Gift, Enigma Berries, and the sorts.

As you may know, the 4th generation's Pokémon games' save format has been cracked open and documented immensely - this means we know about how Mystery Gift works, how to generate a Pokémon and distribute it via Wonder Card, open event wonder cards, and more. The same hasn't been done to any of the third generation games (and if it has, hacking information for them simply hasn't been documented), and that ought to be solved.

There's a laundry list of mysteries (ha ha ha.) that are relating to external events:
Wonder Cards. The important feature. Distributed Wonder Cards are able to activate in-game events such as Deoxys, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and in Emerald, Mew. They can (I assume) also be used to distribute items.
Wonder News. The less important variant. These can be used to distribute notices or long passages of written information.
Card-e events. Used to activate Southern Island event (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald only), activate specific berries and activate special trainer battles (limited in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald).
Emerald Card-e+ events. While limited in the English versions, Emerald allows for its own special kind of maps to be used in Trainer Hill.
Record Mixing. Any events activated in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald can be distributed a limited number of times via Record Mixing.

And speaking of Record Mixing, TV in FireRed and LeafGreen, and its relation to an old man in Cerulean City.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I remember you bringing this up on the IRC a while back, and I had mentioned thaere were e-Card test menus in the Debug Ruby rom. Perhaps doing some research into how that works may provide some insight into how that system works. If I can get my hands on a Pokemon Sapphire save and copy it to my retail card and get another Gameboy, I will test what kind of eCard it sends and see what it does on hardware.

If it doesn't work on hardware because of language limitations, I might have to get another GBA flashcard or import a German copy of RS. If worst comes to worst, I'll have to emulate.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Just note, eReader support was scrapped in ALL European games - the support never existed in Ruby/Sapphire's European versions.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Just note, eReader support was scrapped in ALL European games - the support never existed in Ruby/Sapphire's European versions.
Really? That makes me wonder why there are testing menus for that then.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
I'm fairly certain there was enough support for the Eon Ticket at the very least.
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
If the E-reader WAS removed, what's stopping us from putting it back in? Can't we look at a Japanese Rom and copy everything accordingly? This would be perfect to do some events I want to do for my game.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old February 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
If the E-reader WAS removed, what's stopping us from putting it back in? Can't we look at a Japanese Rom and copy everything accordingly? This would be perfect to do some events I want to do for my game.
The problem is, the routine that probably gets the stuff to perform the E-reader is probably sandwiched in between other routines and can't be expanded easily, because unlike in NDS, there's no telling what you have to repoint, because there ARE no "files".

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links