Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
Hello all! You may have read my previous tutorials about world map hacking. Well, I learned a few more things, and I do believe that this is the most reliable way of making world maps and injecting them into your game.

Please note, this is for FireRed and LeafGreen. I do not supply information on Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.

The guide download is attached below.

Here are some notes!

Depending on what ROM version you have, you might not be able to find the World Map pointers to re-point, If this is the case, you need to use a different set of pointers. I went through the trouble of finding them out myself.

Click the spoiler for the pointers/offsets. Note before trying to use those pointers, try to use the ones listed in the tutorial for POKEMON FIRE BPRE v1.
Spoiler:

POKEMON FIRE BPRE
3F090C - Kanto Offset
3F0B6C - Sevii 1 Offset
3F0C7C - Sevii 2 Offset
3F0D60 - Sevii 3 Offset

0C093F08 - Kanto Pointer
6C0B3F08 - Sevii 1 Pointer
7C0C3F08 - Sevii 2 Pointer
600D3F08 - Sevii 3 Pointer

Oh, and if you want to, I would love to see the maps you are making with this tutorial, so if you want, post it in a comment or attachment. Be sure to warn people of stealing...
My Kanto / Johto map. ©MikeMatt15 2011

Last edited by MikeMatt15; March 20th, 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: This is going to be updated a lot...
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM
montyb
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for the template, and the instrucitons are mostly okay, but I followed your video exactly (with my own map of course). Even double checking the sizes as I went. Everything worked fine until NTME, I keep getting:

INFO:

the Tile Map is referring to a Tile No. > amount of tiles in tile set. Do you want to replace this with first tile? (If not then loading will be canceled).

And if I select yes, my map comes out looking like the palette instead of the map itself.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or a simple fix so I don't ave to redo everything?

Last edited by montyb; February 26th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:15 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyb View Post
Thanks for the template, and the instrucitons are mostly okay, but I followed your video exactly (with my own map of course). Even double checking the sizes as I went. Everything worked fine until NTME, I keep getting:

INFO:

the Tile Map is referring to a Tile No. > amount of tiles in tile set. Do you want to replace this with first tile? (If not then loading will be canceled).

And if I select yes, my map comes out looking like the palette instead of the map itself.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or a simple fix so I don't ave to redo everything?
Could you PM me a DL link for the tile set? you're using? Also, if you could explain exactly what you are doing. I will be happy to help.
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
montyb
Beginning Trainer

It's okay. I just put it together like a puzzle... it took a good 4 hours, but i got it working. I think was just that my file size in photoshop was off in one of the steps. Your tutorial wasn't to blame. I screwed up. Thanks again for sharing it.

Edit: Actually, for some reason my hex editor can't find any of the pointers. i have o idea why. I double checkd to make sure I had the right rom too. I don't really know why, they just don't come up.

Last edited by montyb; February 27th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Edit: Actually, for some reason my hex editor can't find any of the pointers. i have o idea why. I double checkd to make sure I had the right rom too. I don't really know why, they just don't come up.
Well that's quite odd. What (ROM) version are you using?
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
montyb
Beginning Trainer

fire red BPRE. I don't think it was already altered in some way before hand, but I don't know. That's the only thing I could think of, but I'm not willing to try a clean ROM at this point, i've already done a lot of stuff in advance editor and yape that I don't want to lose. Oh well, I know it's not your guide though, as I tried another one before and had the same problem.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
fire red BPRE. I don't think it was already altered in some way before hand, but I don't know. That's the only thing I could think of, but I'm not willing to try a clean ROM at this point, i've already done a lot of stuff in advance editor and yape that I don't want to lose. Oh well, I know it's not your guide though, as I tried another one before and had the same problem.
I found the problem. There are two POKEMON FIRE BPRE rom versions. I only listed one of the version pointers, but I took about an hour to find the new pointers for the other version that you apparently have.
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
montyb
Beginning Trainer

oh, I replied to your pm before reading this. if you'd be willing to send me them than that'd be a great help. Thanks again.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
oh, I replied to your pm before reading this. if you'd be willing to send me them than that'd be a great help. Thanks again.
I updated the tutorial with the pointers, and it is also at the top. Tell me if it works! I would love to see a picture of your result!
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
This was really a great tutorial. Everything worked to perfection except:

In the bottom right hand corner of my map (in game) there are five blue tiles that aren't supposed to be there. I noticed in your tut that they were on your final product too. Any idea how to fix that? I thought I read something somewhere on the forums about it, but I can't find it...
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
This was really a great tutorial. Everything worked to perfection except:

In the bottom right hand corner of my map (in game) there are five blue tiles that aren't supposed to be there. I noticed in your tut that they were on your final product too. Any idea how to fix that? I thought I read something somewhere on the forums about it, but I can't find it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Tutorial
Now did you notice that blue bar in the corner of the map? Yeah I have yet to come up with a solution to this.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the tutorial too, but I have no idea how to fix this. Also, this happens on hacked title screens...
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
Now did you notice that blue bar in the corner of the map? Yeah I have yet to come up with a solution to this.
Sorry, I didn't notice that. Anyways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Buster
open your .raw file in hex editor then add 16 bytes in the end.
the total bytes should be 1216 not 1200.
I found this a little while ago in another world map thread. Apparently, this should fix the problem. I haven't tried it yet because I can't figure out how to insert bytes with my hex editor...
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Okay, well I updated the tutorial a little bit, and well included more stuff in the files I believe, so hopefully this will be the last update for a while...
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
levister101
Beginning Trainer

I cant open the .PAL files... Well actually any of the files in the "Including Palettes" Folder
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levister101 View Post
I cant open the .PAL files... Well actually any of the files in the "Including Palettes" Folder
Hmm... What are you using to try to open them?
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
uber_pineapple
Just Smile.

A very nice guide, easy to follow and understand. I do have one question though, where can I get the sphere editor?
Hello.
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
MikeMatt15
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_pineapple View Post
A very nice guide, easy to follow and understand. I do have one question though, where can I get the sphere editor?
Google for it, but I will just give you the link...

http://spheredev.org/downloads/spher...sphere-1.5.exe
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Simmy93
Aspiring Emulator

Nature: Sassy
I followed this to the letter, but everytime I do I end up with this.

Spoiler:

What am I doing wrong? It is shockingly distressing.

-Simmy
Challenges!

Team:

Pokemon Platinum
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
jvpski3
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Relaxed
Looks good, are you skilled in Advance Map or something like that??? Because that was a great guide!
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
letica13s
Beginning Trainer

Is there a way to do the drawing of the map without photoshop? With, say, GIMP, or another image editor?
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:01 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Can anyone help me, I'm completely stuck at stage 8, I don't really have a clue what to do. When I draw on the layer mask nothing seems to happen.

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.

Last edited by jabberjabber8; March 29th, 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: ...
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:09 AM
monyetswa
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8 View Post
stuck at stage 8
Happened to me too, It must be from a different version of photoshop.
What I did though is just select an 8x8 pixel section, and make sure it was a multiple of 8 away from the edges. then i filled in that selection with black on the "Routes Background" layer.

In the end, it doesnt matter how you draw the map, as you'll save all the layers as a png.

Now for a question:

In FR, after you play Cinnibar Island, you get invited by Bill to that group of islands with the internet connection problem.

At that point your map gets another button on it for changing maps.

How do you incorporate this into a custom map?
-Draw it of course.
-Then would i cover it with "3" tiles in the NTME pallete editor?
thanks

Last edited by monyetswa; July 19th, 2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:27 PM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
I'm creating a map with DP tiles. In that case, what palettes do I use for the in game and unlz?

-----------------------------------------------
Pokémon Teal Version
: Alphere's Throne
Pokémon Ultimate ZX
: God of Restoration
Uiyto region map still in progress...
Old December 6th, 2013, 01:30 AM
misterpoor

Please help me! I don't understand the Section 3. I just completed the Section 2 in Drawing Tutorial. Please guide me how to change the color? Thank you very much
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here