The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 28th, 2012 (09:01 PM).
TEEJSTER77
Beginning Trainer

I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?
Old February 28th, 2012 (11:48 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by letica13s View Post
I've created my own map in FR/LG style. I have no idea how to make a tileset or a tilemap though. I want to use either WRAP or NTME, but I don't know how to turn the .png of my map into a tilemap and tileset. Please help!
I'm not entirely sure of what you're trying to do. Are you asking how you can save your map as a file along with a picture of the tileset you're using? If that's the case then you shouldn't be trying to use NTME or other tilemap programs as they don't have access to the data that Advance Map has. To save a 'tilemap' of your map, goto 'File > Map > Save As' which will save it as a .map file which can only be read/ opened by Advance Map.

Saving the tileses used by the map can be done by clicking the large purple puzzle piece at the top of Advance Map and going to 'Picture > Save Tileset 1' to save a picture of the first tileset, and 'Save Tileset 2' for the second tileset. These will be a saved as .png files so they can be opened/ edited in Paint or a similar program (this is how you can insert new tiles in hacks). The tileset you see in the main Advance Map window will look nothing like the picture you have saved, this is because the tileset has its own 'tilemap' in the form of 'blocks' which are saved in a similar style to the tilesets - Click 'Blocks' rather than 'Picture'.

In short, maps are a made from three tile maps - The map itself and the block data from the two tilesets - along with the two tileset .png files. There is no universal 'save tilemap and tileset' option available so the best you can do is to save all of five of these files if you wish to recreate your map within another ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEJSTER77 View Post
I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?
If you're just wanting to change the data for the Pokemon a trainer/ Gym Leader has, then all you will need is A-Trainer. You need to find the specific trainer in the program, but it should be fairly easy if you know who they are - Just input their name in the box that says 'Start Search' and you'll be taken straight to them. To change their team click on '>> Pokemon Data' and you'll go to a second screen where you can see a whole wealth of data relating to their Pokemon (species, level, moves, held item etc) and you can use the scroll bar in the top right to swap inbetween Pokemon. If you wish to expand the number of Pokemon on their team/ add an extra item/ give the Pokemon custom attcks or items then you're going to have to repoint the data, but A-Trainer will do this for you by providing a recommended offset which you just have to copy and paste into a box before confirming. Just mess around in A-Trainer for a while and you'll definitely become proficient with it :D
Old February 29th, 2012 (06:28 AM).
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
He isn't talking about that kind of maps, i think he's talking about the world map.

There is a video here that shows exactly what I explain in the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
Anyway, there is a program out there called Sphere that helps with tilemaps immensely. Once you download it, it also downloads a program called "Editor". Open it, and go File>Import>Image to Map. Select your map, the select a place to save the finished tilemap. Change the tile dimensions to 8 by 8, and select yes when the pop up appears. It will say the conversion is successful. Now, navigate to where the tilemap was saved, and open it in editor. A picture of the tiles you need will appear (it's in a seperate window that's just labeled "tiles"). use Print Screen to take a picture of the tiles, and remove the purple rectangle by filling it with the color it should be for the tile its on. Save that image, and now you have your map tiles and a tilemap. NTME accepts sphere files, so you just have to open up Sphere, open up your tileset, and when you import the tilemap, select the sphere file. Adjust it a little till it looks right, then save the tilemap as a .raw, which is what unlz.gba can use. And now, other tutorials can help you with the actual inserting.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old February 29th, 2012 (08:45 AM).
letica13s
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.
Old February 29th, 2012 (10:48 AM).
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.
The tutorial that worked best for me was this one...However, i took the easy route and used only the tiles from the original map, which meant all I really had to do was repoint the .raw. If that's one you tried but couldn't get to work, then maybe someone else here might be able to help better.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Old February 29th, 2012 (10:52 AM).
letica13s
Beginning Trainer

That's the tutorial that I tried to follow. This is the one that gave me the jumbled garbage. Thanks anyway!
Old February 29th, 2012 (01:43 PM).
redriders180

Quote:
That's the tutorial that I tried to follow. This is the one that gave me the jumbled garbage. Thanks anyway!
When you say jumbled garbage, do you mean that the tiles are there, just in the wrong order, or its just complete and utter random lines and stuff, with no discernible tiles?

Old February 29th, 2012 (04:39 PM). Edited February 29th, 2012 by letica13s.
letica13s
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
complete and utter random lines and stuff, with no discernible tiles?
^This. Some of the random purple lines could be discerned as tiles, though not ones that I recognized from my original tileset. I'm not sure I indexed the image's colors correctly either. Would it help if I posted the map here?
Old February 29th, 2012 (05:27 PM).
Kaikai
Togepi

is there any program that edits pokemon movesets in Pokemon Crystal?
Old March 1st, 2012 (10:45 AM).
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old March 1st, 2012 (02:50 PM).
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.
I've heard many times that the 64x64 sprites are a limitation of the GBA itself. There isn't a way to easily just make the sprites larger, without possibly overhauling a whole bunch of code to make it, for example, display four 40x40 sprites for each pokemon (which would be an 80x80 sprite), but it's fairly impractical, and as far as i know, unprecedented. Better to just deal with them, in my opinion

Old March 1st, 2012 (03:31 PM).
KoKoros
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Timid
I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!
Old March 1st, 2012 (05:01 PM).
Kaikai
Togepi

uhhh... will anyone answer my question...?
Old March 1st, 2012 (06:07 PM).
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKoros View Post
I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!
The newest version of Paint doesn't support indexed files, which means if you open an indexed file in paint, it loses its index. To remedy this, I use Gimp, or Photoshop, which support indexed files

Old March 1st, 2012 (06:41 PM).
KoKoros
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Timid
Thank you Redriders! i'll go download gimp... i regret deleting it now. >_<
Old March 1st, 2012 (10:01 PM).
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Well if you use NSE Classic you can export the pallet of Gary and a sprite library of him and import it back in over the hero. But there will still be things such as the fishing sprite that will be the normal hero unless you edit it.
Ok, well in NSE when I try to transfer Gary's sprites to replace the Hero's, I get this message. Which says it won't work because the hero as 19 sprites (fishing, running, etc) as opposed to Gary's main 8. Is there any way around this? I just plan to use Gary's main 8 sprites. Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2012 (01:42 AM).
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
Ok, well in NSE when I try to transfer Gary's sprites to replace the Hero's, I get this message. Which says it won't work because the hero as 19 sprites (fishing, running, etc) as opposed to Gary's main 8. Is there any way around this? I just plan to use Gary's main 8 sprites. Thanks
Well in that case you should import the frames one by one, by exporting the bitmaps and then importing them over Red's. Shouldn't take too long.

Also, if you ever decide to replace all frames with Gary's, T (the shadow) has made a sheet with them here.
Old March 2nd, 2012 (08:05 AM). Edited March 2nd, 2012 by ZangoMango.
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
Well in that case you should import the frames one by one, by exporting the bitmaps and then importing them over Red's. Shouldn't take too long.

Also, if you ever decide to replace all frames with Gary's, T (the shadow) has made a sheet with them here.
That worked perfectly, and thanks for the sprite sheet. How do I import the extra T (the shadow)'s sprites, do I just cut them out of the sprite sheet and make them .bmp's, or can I import them all at once somehow? Cause I tried importing the sprite sheet as a sprite library but I think the libraries must be NSL files. Thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2012 (01:39 PM).
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
That worked perfectly, and thanks for the sprite sheet. How do I import the extra T (the shadow)'s sprites, do I just cut them out of the sprite sheet and make them .bmp's, or can I import them all at once somehow? Cause I tried importing the sprite sheet as a sprite library but I think the libraries must be NSL files. Thanks!
You'll have to cut them out one by one, index them with the exact same palates in the exact same order, and then you could insert them. NSE 2.X can help enormously with its color match tool, which can match up index palates so they work right.

Old March 2nd, 2012 (05:58 PM).
Rumille
Togepi

So what's the deal with the tilesets in Advanced Map? Sometimes they just come out really glitchy and other times they work fine. Is there a way to avoid the glitchyness?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me with it, it's really frustrating to create rooms with these glitchy tilesets combinations.
Old March 2nd, 2012 (06:13 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
So what's the deal with the tilesets in Advanced Map? Sometimes they just come out really glitchy and other times they work fine. Is there a way to avoid the glitchyness?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me with it, it's really frustrating to create rooms with these glitchy tilesets combinations.
What kind of glitchy-ness are you talking about?

Depending on the size of a new tile you insert and what you're replacing to put it in, you may have to remake parts of the tileset using A-Map's tileset block editor.
Old March 2nd, 2012 (06:30 PM).
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
What kind of glitchy-ness are you talking about?

Depending on the size of a new tile you insert and what you're replacing to put it in, you may have to remake parts of the tileset using A-Map's tileset block editor.
Just when I create a new map in Advancemap, I have to select width and height and then choose 2 tilesets. Most of the times, when I choose those two tilesets, they come out glitchy and are impossible to use for creating maps. Although sometimes I choose a different combination of tilesets and they come out fine.
Old March 2nd, 2012 (06:47 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
Just when I create a new map in Advancemap, I have to select width and height and then choose 2 tilesets. Most of the times, when I choose those two tilesets, they come out glitchy and are impossible to use for creating maps. Although sometimes I choose a different combination of tilesets and they come out fine.
That's because there are two tilesets that should always be used in Tileset 1 (0 and 12 in FR/LG, 0 and 14 in R/S/E) depending on whether you're making an exterior or interior map. These tilesets should always be used because they provide a 'backbone' for the secondary tilesets which borrow tiles from them and are the reason why everything looks 'glitchy'. You can't put two tilesets which have been designed as secondaries together so you are limited in that regard.
Old March 2nd, 2012 (07:36 PM).
SK3
Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SK3
As a feature in my hack, I want to have a gym leader rematch system similar to HGSS. Is there a tool that can include the day of the week along with the RTC?

Pokemon
Daydream White version

Want to help out? Just PM or VM me!

Old March 3rd, 2012 (04:34 AM).
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
That's because there are two tilesets that should always be used in Tileset 1 (0 and 12 in FR/LG, 0 and 14 in R/S/E) depending on whether you're making an exterior or interior map. These tilesets should always be used because they provide a 'backbone' for the secondary tilesets which borrow tiles from them and are the reason why everything looks 'glitchy'. You can't put two tilesets which have been designed as secondaries together so you are limited in that regard.
Well, that makes kind of sense. I'll check to see if it works later. Thanks for the answer!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links