The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Advertise here
If there's one thing I've always wanted, it's to be able to play Pokémon on a tiny, hard to see screen on my computer.
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 100 Mega Shock View Post
If there's one thing I've always wanted, it's to be able to play Pokémon on a tiny, hard to see screen on my computer.
Was this reply necessary?
Its not an issue if you think about it, its more like the gameboy screen size. and if i do remember correctly pokemon Raptor plays with the small screen size... Just gotta keep an open mind. I actually prefer the smaller screen resolution but its obvious that you do not. That is fine we all have what we like, but don't knock an idea because you don't like it.

Last edited by KingCharizard; December 5th, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
I too find it hard to play on a small screen, you could keep the same screen size, but increase resolution, to make the pixels look smaller.

essentially "zooming out" the game. but that would probably require a decent amount of work.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ratty524

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
Its not an issue if you think about it, its more like the gameboy screen size. and if i do remember correctly pokemon Raptor plays with the small screen size... Just gotta keep an open mind. I actually prefer the smaller screen resolution but its obvious that you do not. That is fine we all have what we like, but don't knock an idea because you don't like it.
The default controls with Essentials allowed you to play at a 640x480 resolution, but with that weird border surrounding your game. It's really not that bad, though. I still feel more engaged with the game even though the fullscreen size is reduced, so I don't think screen dimensions is a big issue.
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:38 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Well shrink the game screen test it out and look how much better the game quality looks. its was just a suggestion the choice is up to you
I'm not too sure about the screen resizing, I actually don't like playing a real tiny screen myself, sometimes I feel I want my game to play in full screen haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 100 Mega Shock View Post
Not really appropriate, but nevertheless, a valid argument is within the quote...

Quote:
That's how I feel about alot of fan-games, I too judge because of looks, or spelling... But I will always give the game a shot, if I feel someting can be made better I will give advice and such... But yes I think that mite have been the game I played with a tiny screena and I can't see nothing (I can, I'm just saying, it's small haha.) The smallest TV in my house is 38', so this is understandable in my view haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
I too find it hard to play on a small screen, you could keep the same screen size, but increase resolution, to make the pixels look smaller.

essentially "zooming out" the game. but that would probably require a decent amount of work.
Sounds alot of work to be honest haha! It seems an extra work load that is unnecessary to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
The default controls with Essentials allowed you to play at a 640x480 resolution, but with that weird border surrounding your game. It's really not that bad, though. I still feel more engaged with the game even though the fullscreen size is reduced, so I don't think screen dimensions is a big issue.
Not sure if this is aimed at me or if it was just a comment...

UPDATE:

I took a major time out, I think for almost, exactly a month, from being on Pokecommunity... But this was to completely update my game;

Tilesets...
Character sets updated from old style to new style...
All maps are now HGSS tilesets to go with the style of my characters,
All maps have also been somewhat edited to have a different feel, as the game isn't a remake of any other...
Events have been update for new maps and such...
Added more custom scripts, forget which haha! so will have to bare with me on that one...

Pictures are in post 1, will keep you updated as I progress.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

New Screenshots. All posted in OP.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Ratty524

The Low-res facesets are killing me. It's particularly bad with Officer Jenny, as the pixels are so screwed up that her face looks almost unrecognizable.

Are you basing this off the anime, a little?
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
The Low-res facesets are killing me. It's particularly bad with Officer Jenny, as the pixels are so screwed up that her face looks almost unrecognizable.
At the moment, the face graphics are not high importance, I will be wanting a new release when all tilesets and character sets are better and also when the events are bug free and battles are working and areas are error free... these are my goals for the time being! If anybody is willing to save me some time and help with the face graphics, be my guest... Many thanks and credits to that person...

I'm just learning how to create sprite sheets, as you can see, I've created Jenny, Jessie, James and the Heroine, from those pictures!

Quote:
Are you basing this off the anime, a little?
What makes you ask this?
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Ratty524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
What makes you ask this?
The fact that you are including Jessie + James and Officer Jenny, both of which originated in the anime? Then again, they were in Pokemon Yellow, which was mainly based off the anime a little.

For the face graphics, maybe you can find someone who is good at replicating the Mystery dungeon faceset style, since it appears the cleanest out of all your other facesets, plus it would be neat to see human characters in that style. The major problem you have with the face sets is that they are inconsistent.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
For the face graphics, maybe you can find someone who is good at replicating the Mystery dungeon faceset style, since it appears the cleanest out of all your other facesets, plus it would be neat to see human characters in that style. The major problem you have with the face sets is that they are inconsistent.

Yeah I know this , but I myself am learning to sprite, faces and hands are my worse things, hair is a problem too! But I am learning.

Quote:
The fact that you are including Jessie + James and Officer Jenny, both of which originated in the anime? Then again, they were in Pokemon Yellow, which was mainly based off the anime a little.
Oh I get the question now... In that sense, yes, it is somewhat based off the anime, I like those characters (I like how the anime has Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny in every city/town), so I will include them in my game, I'm sure when you come across your fave characters in a game, they make you smile (like when you came across Jessie and James within Pokémon Yellow.) I have alot more anime characters who make an appearence too, some only a little skit, others more story based...

Gary in my game, is not the evil little... boy (haha)... that he was in original games but keeps his personallity from the anime... Yet, he makes a lot of appearences... But, is not considered your true rival!
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

*UPDATE TIME*

Thanks for everyones comments by the way, truly helping... (sarcasm anyone!)

More New Features Added!
on Original Post.

Screenshots within the next few days of progress so far.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
xdanx
But you can call me Dan :)

I really don't like the maps, everthing is just too close. Maps need to have space for you to make your way, making them so lineal also causes the game to be boring and quite annoying.
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:02 AM
pancakeonmyhead
Kpop Enthusiast

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to pancakeonmyhead
I absolutely love this concept. I love that there's choice,
and that you can see some Pokemon roaming around.
Love the tiles, love the sprite.
EXCITED FOR THIS~~

Amanda(Panda). Eighteen-ish. Australia.
Kpop Enthusiast. B2UTY. Awkward.
레그 아만다 제인

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Xavier_PokeNation
Togepi

I like the tileset you are doing/collecting, I think I'll do the same. :p
But my game is 200% zoomed so I don't know if they will still look nice

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanx View Post
I really don't like the maps, everthing is just too close. Maps need to have space for you to make your way, making them so lineal also causes the game to be boring and quite annoying.
There is enough space in every map, obviously you can't see what I can see within RPGMaker itself, but there is enough space everywhere... I like a little realism, trees, bushes, rocks etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeonmyhead View Post
I absolutely love this concept. I love that there's choice,
and that you can see some Pokemon roaming around.
Love the tiles, love the sprite.
EXCITED FOR THIS~~
There is lot's of choice. Thank you by the way. There are many Pokémon roaming and some Pokémon are only available through roaming (i'm not talking about legendaries.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier_PokeNation View Post
I like the tileset you are doing/collecting, I think I'll do the same. :p
But my game is 200% zoomed so I don't know if they will still look nice :(
I believe someone actually said for me to zoom my game in, so I can say, some people will like that look.

*UPDATE TIME*
Only a minor update of the Mystery Ball.

There is 6 different Mystery Balls each doing their own little thing...

1.) Gives you Evolution Stones [Picture is showing example.](Fire, Water, Thunder, Leaf and Moon, Stones.) $3250

2.) Offensive Stat boosts (Attack, Special Attack, Speed.) $3250

3.) Defensive Stat boosts (Defence, Special Defence, HP.) $3250

4.) Items (Potion, Super Potion, Revive, Hyper Potion, Full Restore.) $1250

5.) Happiness (Increases Immediately to 240 of 1 Pokémon.) $1000

6.) Random Pokémon (Excluding Legendaries.) $5500

Stat Boosts vary from +1 to +4 on respective stats.
Evolution Stones give you a random amount from +1 to +2.
Items will give random amounts from +1 to +5.
Happiness is, max =240, min =240.
Random Pokémon ignores legendaries and valuable Pokémon, I.E. Dratini (plus more.)

Last edited by Nickalooose; February 5th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Twinkle-Chamst
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lax
So far, I really like this : D
- At the beginning, the exp and level idea made me feel uncomfortable, but then I guess it gives a more realistic feeling. So you should take the exp indicator out of the pokemon's summary too.
- The Hype mode reminds me of the "hyper" one in Pokemon Colloseum :0! It'd be interesting to see that.
- If you can find someone to help with you the character images, that'd help a lot. However, you can always keep the original size... you don't need to resize it x2.
Big pixels just look wrong in the small window size (like the mystery ball).

But don't worry too much about the graphics. The gameplay and story is the main thing to be concerned about.
I'd rather play an original fangame than a pretty looking but boring one.
Looking forward for more updates -thumbs up-

-I SUPPORT-

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle-Chamst View Post
So far, I really like this : D
- At the beginning, the exp and level idea made me feel uncomfortable, but then I guess it gives a more realistic feeling. So you should take the exp indicator out of the pokemon's summary too.
- The Hype mode reminds me of the "hyper" one in Pokemon Colloseum :0! It'd be interesting to see that.
- If you can find someone to help with you the character images, that'd help a lot. However, you can always keep the original size... you don't need to resize it x2.
Big pixels just look wrong in the small window size (like the mystery ball).

But don't worry too much about the graphics. The gameplay and story is the main thing to be concerned about.
I'd rather play an original fangame than a pretty looking but boring one.
Looking forward for more updates -thumbs up-
Hehe thanx babe
I've only played on Red/Blue/Yellow/Silver/Gold/Crystal/Diamond/Platinum/Pearl... So I don't know what is on Colloseum, but hope this doesn't disappoint... I will be leaving the screensize how it is... I shall be re-releasing the demo soon, not too sure when, but I will iron out some of the errors that I can see first.

I've been focusing the last few months on fixing the graphics and such...

So a new *UPDATE* on that is here, plus a little extra:

Spoiler:

Face graphics are now like this.

If anybody out there can do more trainers like this, I could use some help .

**.Homeward Bound starters can now be irrelevant... You can start with any Pokémon from the KANTO region.**

**.In-game tutorials have been introduced, to keep you up-to-date with new additions to the game.(so you don't forget.)**

**.New unlockables have been added.**

**.To check main Rivals within Pokémon: Homeward Bound™ a poster has been added within your bedroom.**

**.For those of you who don't like to complete a game the conventional way, cheats/glitches have been added.(for your amusement I guess.)**

**.Different trainers can have different Pokémon battle graphics.**
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Alina_Mau
Kitty Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Alina_Mau
I don't mind the step downs on the battle bars but I would suggest adjusting them to allow room for the gender sign, it'll fit everything better and look better spaced/planned. I like everything so far though!

LOVELOVELOVE the new face graphics!!! They remind me of old style Harvest Moon pics X3 ♥ If you need help with pixeling I wouldn't mind assisting
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina_Mau View Post
I don't mind the step downs on the battle bars but I would suggest adjusting them to allow room for the gender sign, it'll fit everything better and look better spaced/planned. I like everything so far though! ^^

LOVELOVELOVE the new face graphics!!! They remind me of old style Harvest Moon pics X3 ♥ If you need help with pixeling I wouldn't mind assisting ^^
I would like some help to be honest haha! If you could show me some of your work that would be great...

You've actually reminded me, I have a better design to go in the place of battle bars, so that will change soon enough, so thanks haha...

Yeah I figured these face graphics were better, and in all fairness, my other face graphics were place holders, until I could create my own or get some help...

I have more updates about game-play if anybody is interested, unless you wanna see more graphical changes, or features... I have been working mostly on features in the past few months and a little graphical work...

There are so many little features I'm yet to disclose to the public, there is just not enough time in the day.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Alina_Mau
Kitty Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
I would like some help to be honest haha! If you could show me some of your work that would be great...

You've actually reminded me, I have a better design to go in the place of battle bars, so that will change soon enough, so thanks haha...

Yeah I figured these face graphics were better, and in all fairness, my other face graphics were place holders, until I could create my own or get some help...

I have more updates about game-play if anybody is interested, unless you wanna see more graphical changes, or features... I have been working mostly on features in the past few months and a little graphical work...

There are so many little features I'm yet to disclose to the public, there is just not enough time in the day.
In the next day or two I plan to open a pixel gallery showing off my work. (not necisarilly for displaying skill but as a way to keep the stuff from decaying on my comp XD) I did make my avatar that I'm currently using and I plan to continue working on a few more things. I haven't sprited in a long time but I have been making pixel items on a doll site for a while now so I'm not totally out of touch. XD I'll post a link in my sig and let you know when I open so you can see.
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
In the next day or two I plan to open a pixel gallery showing off my work. (not necisarilly for displaying skill but as a way to keep the stuff from decaying on my comp XD) I did make my avatar that I'm currently using and I plan to continue working on a few more things. I haven't sprited in a long time but I have been making pixel items on a doll site for a while now so I'm not totally out of touch. XD I'll post a link in my sig and let you know when I open so you can see.
I did actually think that your avatar looked pretty good... Well yeah, if you can get this link up and running, I will have a look, thanks babe .
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Alina_Mau
Kitty Trainer

SO! I finally got my gallery made. XD I'm really comfortable with trainer sprites and it doesn't really matter what size, just let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you want you could also have me do a tester sprite in the size you need. :3

Gallery here!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
SO! I finally got my gallery made. XD I'm really comfortable with trainer sprites and it doesn't really matter what size, just let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you want you could also have me do a tester sprite in the size you need. :3

Gallery here!

WoW, your trainer sprites I like... I don't really have fakemon on this game, so no need for Pokémon, you could always have a go at this:

Need a battle sprite for her.

Size 128x128, if you could do her in a sexy-ish kind of pose, then that will fit nicely with her character in-game (not a problem if you can't, she's based on my friend and she is real pretty, too much of a tease in all fairness haha)... You can't really tell, but shes wearing a green vest, pink skirt and blue shoes, she has a yellow headband with a pink flower in her left side... If there is any other information you need, let me know.

She's one of my main characters, but without a battle sprite shes quite useless haha. X
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:05 PM
pokemonpokemonpokemon59
The official Machoke

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonpokemonpokemon59
I can beta test. This would look amazing if you fixed up the sprites.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonpokemonpokemon59 View Post
I can beta test.
I could probably use a beta tester to be fair, my main guy has decided to get busy alot lately haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonpokemonpokemon59 View Post
This would look amazing if you fixed up the sprites.
What do you mean by "fixed up the sprites"?

Little *UPDATE* for you guys anyway.

New Mini Games have been added like the Bug Catching Contest.
I will post pictures showing this soon, just obviously got to play through the event myself and get pictures etc.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here