The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews

Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
You can get all the information here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ion-challenge/
And yeah sorry the images are so big.

Stage One:

Spoiler:

Spawn point. Yup, swamp. Although the grass looks much nicer in this texture pack, I hate swamps. So I decided to move out and find some plains.

In the meantime, I found pumpkins. And the best thing to use pumpkins for?

Breaking trees.

I then found a jungle, and sheep. However I lost the sheep among the trees and vines.

Then it turned night and I still didn't have a house...

So I made a small shelter and waited for the night to end.

Afterwards, I was straight back to work, with a snazzy new texture pack :3

Surprise butt secksKilled a ton of cows for leather (since I need a hat to go underground) and beef, although atm I have to eat it raw since I can't use stone yet.

Then I fell in a ditch and a zombie nearly killed me before burning to a crisp.

Turned night again and I still hadn't found plains but hey at least now I can sleep safely in the middle of a frest infested with monsters.

Jucking fungles!

And then I FINALLY found plains.

Yeah. I had a lot of wood. I know it's not the best, but it's my best, so I'm proud of it.
And yeah new texture pack again because I'm indecisive like that.

Ze grande living room.

And ze master bedroom.

There was a small pond near my house, which I knew would be perfect for my wheat farm.

And here it is!

I also got some sheep since there were a lot around my house.

Then i walked 50 steps into the jungle and got lost by about, no joke, 1800 steps. I had to put my stuff in a chest, suicide, check co-ords of my house then go back and get it.

Requirements for the next stage.

And aerial view of my not-even-a-city.

Stage 1: Complete

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Pretty nice build tbh, though the pine trees look horrid imho. I'd recommend using smooth stone as a) it's fireproof and b) it looks sexier. Also, you should make mining your first concern. Go down and do strip mining at around Y: 12.6, and you'll be racking dem diamonds up pretty fast. Not to mention the tonnes of redstone and iron you'll get, which will probably be helpful. Idk if you plan on using redstone. But yeah, good luck! :3

edit so this post fails. i didn't read the first sentence/link. sorry >:
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Deadrocks

Nature: Lax
Looks really cool! So it's like an adventure/ challenge map someone made?

(If you want some free capturing software:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/faq.html)

Edit: Looked at the thread, this time. Very awesome! I'm actually attempting it with a friend of mine.

Fireworks, are we allowed to post our progress in this thread too?

Last edited by Alinthea; February 3rd, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrocks View Post
Fireworks, are we allowed to post our progress in this thread too?
Not sure if it'd be allowed, I'll ask Captain Fabio though.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Deadrocks

Maybe like make an official thread for everyone to post their progress in?

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

If the first page is edited to look like more of a public thread than one for yourself, Fireworks, I would be happy to let this go ahead, because I think it is a rather interesting challenge.
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:50 AM
mondays suck
:)

Let me try this!

Spoiler:

Alright, I have a seed...

... and an extremely creative map name, so I can start.

Plains and Tundra. I happen to hate both extensive amounts of tall grass and these annoying huge trees. Pretty unlikely I'll find birches here, that sucks.

Well, at least I have trees.

That's odd, how did these get here?

I hate these trees sooo much. Takes hours to chop down one.

Sheep! Excellent! Unfortunately it will take a long time until I'll be able to make and use shears...

... at least there are birches in sight. No more 10+ block high trees with branches!

While I am building my ugly first house, it's getting dark... I don't have sufficient wood to finish it now either, so I can only hope I won't get killed by surprise spiders... or just walk outside and get torn apart in an explosion.

While trying to set some saplings from that huge tree (and destroying the rest of it, apparently I missed at least a part) I find my first enemy. It's probably not wise to fight skeletons without a functioning food supply or even a stone sword, but they are hard to get away from, soo...

...it dies, and 1 1/2 of my hearts die with it. Dammit, is that thing in the top of the picture (which I only see now) what I believe it to be?
Turns out it was, but I killed it without taking a hit. Weird, otherwise they always blow up, even if I'm out of their attack range. Might be because in Singleplayer things don't lag as much as in 2-person-hamachi multiplayer.

I have the wood now, but at what price? A second skeleton surprise-attacked me from a hilltop (before I even reached the tree) and almost killed me. Almost...

Curses. Still not enough wood to fence in even a tiny wheat farm, I can just hope none of these chickens is going to walk into this...
I don't fancy the idea of wandering around a lot at night, not with 3 hearts, no food and one and a half wooden swords, so my next walk into the forest or even to a lone tree in the tundra or the plains will have to wait. Hmm, do saplings grow at night?

The real night is over, the in-game night not so much...
Spoiler:

One Skeleton (and one or two harmless Zombies) later, I am in serious trouble. Anything could kill me now. At least it's getting bright again...

Time to kill more trees! Also, thanks to the consumption of rotten flesh, I managed to get to full health again. Yay!

I got myself a pet. Unfortunately the second bone didn#t succeed in convincing the second wolf to join me.

Isn't it beautiful? Well, it isn't but I hope it's going to do it's job.

If it wasn't for that Skeleton in the background, this would be an even more beautiful sight. If it were a Zombie or a Spider, it would be ok, but it's a skeleton, so no.
In fact I am surrounded by Skeletons this night, so I have to wait in my beautiful house until it ends. Hopefully there won't be a creeper waiting in front of my door in the morning...

While counting sheep in the tundra and finding out that there are 5 or 6 of them, so I can afford to kill 3 to make a bed I didn't only almost fall into a random abyss, I also noticed that there are STILL parts of that huge tree from the beginning left. Argh.
Hopefully none of the remaining sheep will fall into that abyss...

But of course. Just when I decide to test out my new bed, it doesn't work. I blame the audience.

As soon as the audience is gone, it works. Demonstration effect.

I'm starving and almost out of Rotten Flesh, but the wheat is taking it's time...

Maybe a second wheat farm will help...?

Still not finished with Stage #1, I'm still lacking both the 10 food (I think I have 4 apples, and that's it) and the house is not completed yet either, I've been too lazy to do that so far.

Spoiler:

I hate my life.

Oh, crap. That way I'm never even going to get a fishing rod. If they at least were Zombies...

One night and two dead creepers later (I have no idea where the other two went), my heart fills with joy:

One fully grown wheat. FINALLY!

I reduce the size of the pond to enlarge my wheat farm...

I can use the wheat to bait and lock up some of the remaining sheep...

... and repeat the procedure with chickens. In fact I think I will have to construct a proper chicken farm as soon as I enter the Iron era or find a random bucket.

Plenty of tall grass is an almost as big hindrance to kill a creeper as lag... Thankfully only almost.

The same is true for spiders. Thankfully spiders are weak (compared to creepers) and love to jump.

I'm seeing cows in the distance, and I believe to see a very, very far away pig. Excellent. Was about time, after what felt like 200 chickens (and 5-6 sheep).

I must be in paradise! I count 13 cows and 2 pigs!

Joyous times... when disregarding the chicken that managed to sneak into the pig area.

Let's take a look at the requirements, because I think I'm done now.

- You must own at least 1 dwelling to live in, made from any material allowed and it must be safe to sleep in. It's pretty dark inside at night as I lack torches, but it's safe to sleep in, yes.
- The dwelling must contain:
- A front door
Obviously I have one
- A living area
Which only contains a Workbench and a small chest so far, but I guess it counts as a living area.
- A Bedroom with at least 1 bed, must be a seperate room with a door or on a separate floor. Wait, a seperate floor? Hmm, I didn't read that before.
- A bed for each player participating, must be in a dwelling.I have one.
- A fenced off (or otherwise protected), working wheat farm that must have at least 5 wheat per person participating (1 person needs 5 wheat growing, 2 need 10 wheat etc.) [/FONT]I have like 50+ wheat growing and it's still not enough...
- 1 stack of 64 planks (or 16 wood) per person participating
- 5 items of edible food per person (e.g. 5 porkchops, 5 bread, 4 bread and 1 porkchop etc.)

[/FONT]
I wasted lots of wood on fences, but I still have enough. As for the food, I have 6 apples, that should suffice.

So, a bedroom on a different floor is the last thing I lack...

... so let's get the old one out of here...

... and build a new one. I liked the old one better, it wasn't as dark and moist, but unfortunately complaining doesn't help here...

Stage 1 completed! Not beautifully (not at all), but when you're still struggling for survival, pragmaticism>beauty. And now I'll better quickly get some Torches and light that bedroom out.

Last edited by mondays suck; February 5th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
mondays suck

Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure that when breeding animals, there used to be hearts above their heads. What happened to these hearts?

I started on a little mine out in the tundra to gather some cobblestone.

Why dig for coal resources when you can just make charcoal?

A huge tree right outside my front door - the horror! Oh well, I was asking for it when I thought "this thing would look better with pillars of brown wood". I hope it's at least going to decay properly this time.

I got lucky here that this guy was too lazy to just go around the corner...

.. but wasn't as lucky with the next creeper. That one fell into the little pond surrounded by sand and at first didn't manage to get out of it, so I went closer... This is the result.
The third and last creeper wasn't as troublesome. This time it was me who accidentally fell into the water and then defeated the opponent by surprise.

Inside the mine, I built myself a little room. I might add more beds and restructure this later.

Next I'll build a storehouse (mostly subterranean as I have more space there, but not part of the mine. Maybe I'll link them though, should they be close enough together), that should count as the "one community structure" I'll have to build apart from the Town Hall (which will have to wait). I guess I'll have to build some normal houses too, but, unlike the storehouse, they aren't necessities.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Stage 2, Part a
Spoiler:

While mining, I found this cave. It led into a dead end, but I was able to get a lot of coal, and some iron for the next stage.

Now that I have coal, I have these snazzy new windows! The downside? Now I have to use the door :(

Le chopping down the Amazon.

Made a small pumpkin farm near my wheat farm so I can make Jack o Lanterns.

The Town Hall. Took ages to build, mainly because it required so many resources. Roof isn't even done yet but it'll do for now.

Meeting room. Obviously not done yet, gonna add bookshelves and paintings eventually, as well as changing the tables since the half slabs don't look as good as I was expecting.

Currently a treasury of nothing.

And the spare room. I'll add a bed and it can be a place for hobos to spend the night or something idk.

Not sure what to do for the community structure...any ideas?

Also I'm thinking of making a server for anyone who wants to do this in multiplayer, if anybody's interested. It'd probably have to be Hamachi though.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Deadrocks

Stage 1!! We got this, hopefully...
Spoiler:

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM
mondays suck

Continuing a bit...
Spoiler:

Somehow I managed to get distracted and explored the tundra-plains border a bit. This mountain is looking awesome, I'll have to build something on it later.

Awesome looking are, also, these cave entrances. I am probably going to leave them as they are.

But I have not been completely lazy, I actually managed to get something done and built this house, my community structure. I noticed I there was just soo much snow lying around, so I figured: Why not make use of this? Very shovel-expensive, but not unpleasant to the eye, at least not by default, in my architecture it is. Now all it is lacking is glass (I really need to find a desert, usually they're just around one or two corners), a door, some proper stairs, a better-looking interior of the cellar and, well, chests. I'm probably going to use stone. I should have an entire stack of Charcoal by now, so that shouldn't be a problem. The greatest issue will be the glass.

I would, by the way, certainly be interested in a Hamachi server. I'm not too sure how well it would work out since I'm already experiencing massive lag when playing with people that almost live next-door (although that's probably the fault of the fact that I was the host and my laptop isn't really the strongest), but we could try.
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
mondays suck

Is this already dead?
Spoiler:

In dire need for some sand, I went out to find a desert. I didn't. The closest thing was this lake/river/thing...

So I built myself a huge and beautiful house and started to dig out that sand. Some shovels later...

Looks much better now, doesn't it?

My inventory is full, so I had to leave some trash here. All of them are regenerable resources, so that's not a problem.

Yay for random dungeons on the sides of mountains!

I lost my good old trusty wooden sword farming some spiders until it got boring, and again I had to leave stuff behind, but again, nothing that hurts. I got a bucket I otherwise wouldn't have gotten until the next stage but can use now in return, so I can't complain.

And then I finally finished the exterior of my community structure, the storehouse. Inside, it's still missing some stairs and signs and I have to put everything into the right chest, but the most difficult part, getting some glass, is over.
I don't like this as much as my usual storehouse design, but whatever, I#ll have to live with it.

So I, severely lacking in both Cobblestone and Gravel, decided to enter a cave. After just mining one huuuge vein of gravel, I already had like 400 of it...

... and then stupidly started exploring the depths of the cave. It all went well for quite a while, but at some point I once again enter a new room, unfortunately from below, kill 2 skeletons, wait for the third one behind a rock... suddenly something big and bright green is in the top right corner of the screen, and before I can react, I am dead. Creeper from above, that's the pure essence of "trolololo". I quickly made some swords, found the location again, but my entire inventory was already gone. Frustrating. This put me off for a day or two...

... but not for longer, because someone has to make sure m animals keep living in appropriate conditions. And yes, I managed to get 4 levels just in the process of reentering and leaving that damn cave.

... and no, I didn't learn anything, and entered another cave. After climbing down gaping abyss somewhere in the plains that let down to level 27 or so, and looking into a lava-filled ravine from there, I also found the entrance to a normal cave system, containing, among other things, this here. Almost like a zoo, except that they aren't seperated. And of course I entered that room. Some minutes later, after mining some useless Iron elesewhere. Not pictured: A Skeleton or two who were stuck somewhere in all that Gravel. The Ändermän was gone when I entered though, a shame. Would have been a bit more interesting.

Hey, who would have known - Skeletons are intelligent, after all.

This time, however, I was smarter than when I entered that other big room, and decided to leave the cave and secure my new possessions rather than risking them...

SUCCESS! For once, it was day outside, and all I had to do was find out that all I had to do to refind my territory was going over a hill. There's a lot of junk among this, like the iron which I have no use for, but it's better than nothing. I still don#t have enough stuff, especially cobblestone to even think about starting to build that town hall yet, though. Maybe I could use my bucket and try to reenter that cave and get out alive with some lava and get a cobblestone generator so i won't have to risk my butt anymore? Then again, that way I don't get any Iron, Coal or Gravel...

What's this hall supposed to be? Nothing, I just decided to finally gather some cobblestone. This should suffice for now.

Accursed Creeper, give my dirt back. I hate that creepers keep destroying Dirt or Sand.

Also, what's wrong with this, other than that I saw myself forced to doublepost
Spoiler:

How did that happen?

Last edited by mondays suck; March 3rd, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Deadrocks

Nah, me and my buddy are slowly working on it. We do a video so it takes awhile to produce. lol

Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM
mondays suck

Stage 2 completed!
Spoiler:

So, with the help of some guy who unfortunately vanished at some point, only leaving some meat behind. Maybe he was attacked and torn apart by a spider? Anyway, me and, before his disappearance, that guy started building some foundations for the town hall.

Most work I had to do on my own, but eventually the thing was finished.

Right next door is, by the way, a random sinkhole I didn't even notice until the town hall was half finished. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

So here's the inside of it. This entrance room here still has some room for improvements, so far we only have a place for one guard/sectretary/a bit of both and some stairs in here. Then again, the town's people are still poor, so that's realistic.

Upstairs, we have the meeting room. With a nice view outside, if nothing else.

Then we have the roof, on which some guard pretty much lives and watches the landscape for attacking monsters or the evil king's army we successfully fled from.
This guard position will become obsolete as soon as we'll have to start constructing city walls, but will that will take a while, and by then all this will have tradition and stay despite having become pointless.

There are also these hidden stairs, leading to...

A little natural cave filled with chests - the treasury. Remember, we are still poor, so we use opportunities like this.

As for the item requirements...

Here's the ones from Stage I newly assembled and forever put into a chest:
Quote:

- 1 stack of 64 planks (or 16 wood) per person participating
- 5 items of edible food per person (e.g. 5 porkchops, 5 bread, 4 bread and 1 porkchop etc.)

... here are the ones from stage II. Nobody said you can't put damaged tools in there

Quote:

Treasury must contain:
- 1 stack of cobble/stone per player
- 10 items of edible food per person
- At least 1 of each:
- Stone Sword
- Stone Pickaxe
- Stone Shovel
- Stone Axe
- Stone Hoe
- Stack of 64 torches

Almost forgot the torches!

Here they are!

This is where things will get difficult and I'll have to start building all these fortifications. Of course, before they make sense, I'll have to build an actual town, too - right now all I have is a lousy peasant's hut, two wheat farms that produce more seeds that wheat, four animal pens, two of which are a bit overcrowded a mine, a storehouse, and that town hall. What kind of town is that, without more than one regular house?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links