The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Tdwilson2009
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
You can see if you map has a level script by going into Advance Map's Header tab and scrolling down to the section that says "Map Script" - There you should find a button that allows you to open a script (if you do in fact have a level script active on that map). Anyway, if you don't have a level script that is operating on the map, try creating another person on your map and transfer your movement script to them so that they take the place of the person even which is acting strangely. It won't be a perfect fix, but hopefully you'll be able to have your script play out the way you want.

If this new person event also doesn't show up on the map where expected (and there wasn't any level script), then I'd suspect that there is something wrong with the ROM you are using.
Thank you so much!!
I did a little bit of everything you said and it fixed it as soon as I added a new person to the map. After the problem seemed to be resolved I gave a simple message script to the new person and let the original person (the one causing all the problems) have the movement script.
Thank you for your time!!!!
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM
digitelanimefan
Beginning Trainer

Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:40 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post
Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.
Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.
It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM
digitelanimefan
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.
Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:36 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?
The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
Quote:
It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.
Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM
blackpikachu

Nature: Relaxed
Heyy... tut for season tool plis...
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM
digitelanimefan
Beginning Trainer

The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ;
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
wierddude22
New hacker

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to wierddude22 Send a message via Skype™ to wierddude22
Quick question, i've made an indoor area and the border block is differnt than the one i used, how do i solve it
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
redriders180

Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ;
Here is a basic overview of finding and replacing words with a hex editor...It's uses an english rom, but it's the same concept for a japanese rom...However, japanese characters don't seem to be built in to an english rom, so you'd have to have another way to find out what each japanese character is in hex.

Quote:
Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate
This is what I used...it's difficult because just a plain Firered rom has space for only 196 names...108 names for Firered, and the remaining 88 names for locations in Hoenn (for compatibility). The tutorial on there has two options; either replacing the Hoenn names, or adding onto the list entirely.

Last edited by redriders180; March 8th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Decon082
Beginning Trainer

So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
redriders180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon082 View Post
So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I can try to help you with your second question. The best way to make a camera "warp" to a different place is to warp the player there, and immediately hide him using what we call a level script, which is a script that activates when you enter a map. There are different kinds, one being a script that activates once you warp into a building. There's also a kind that activates the very instant you enter a map, even before the fade effect has finished. You'd use the second kind to hide the player, and the first kind to start your script immediately. once the script is finished, warp the player to the entrance of the cave. Before you tackle that, i'd read up on level scripts.

As for your first question, I don't know any conventional, simple way to make that occur. Of course it's possible, but it requires tinkering with the games internal coding.

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon082 View Post

This is actually quite simple, if you look at this thread.
http://wahackforo.com/t-Hacer-el-efe...a-un-FlashBack

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Decon082
Beginning Trainer

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll look into this. I'm wanting to try to make the intro part over my break next week. I think I got a quite different storyline in mind.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:03 AM
GoGoShinyDunsparce
And Flounderp too!

Nature: Lax
I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

Thanks!
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Nidote
Nido-Nut

Okay, I tried taking a look around and I don't think there were any answers to this but here goes.

Are there any basic hacking tools for Heartgold/Soulsilver? Nothing major like changing entire maps, I'm mostly only interested in editing pokemon, wild encounters (and their levels), trainers and optionally moves but the ONE tool I've seen so far is an editor that only works for gym leaders... on the japanese versions.

So yeah, is HG&SS just programmed so differently it makes it impossible to work with or has nobody just had an interest in doing tools or something? :>
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Outkin
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

I was playing with maps in firered. I implnated a new map in the game, and every time I select it it says "canvas cannot be drawn on" or something like that. The menus can be a bit...stubborn....in the map, but otherwise I can still edit it, but I'm curious what this means.

Old March 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Rumille
Togepi

How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?
Go to the map in Advance Map, go to the Header tab, click on the first dropdown box, select Pallet Town, then click Change Name. Save the ROM, close A-Map, reopen and you should see your change has taken place :D

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Rumille
Togepi

Thank you!
Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.

The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce View Post
I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

Thanks!
The total area that your cursor can access in the Town Map is 22 x 14 8x8 tiles. Basically this area is 176 x 112 pixels in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
Thank you!
Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.

The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?
That's because you're using the wrong type of block when making that tile. In FR's tileset 0 the top left tile looks to be entirely black, when in fact it is not. This is because the black that makes up the tile is being used as Palette 0's transparent colour. As such, when you apply nothing but that transparent 8x8 block when making the tile you are seeing 'beyond the tile'. If you wish to have a completely black tile that shows up in tileset 0, you are going to have to change one of the palettes associate with the tileset so that it has a (non-transparent) colour that is perfectly black.

You can see why the tile actually comes out as being black when playing in interior maps because tileset 12's palette 5 has a colour that is both black and not transparent which is used to make up the tile.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Alec Empire
Are you ready to testify?

Nature: Rash
I have a vague understanding of how to use the tools, but where do I get them? I've tried Whack a Hack, and some of the tools won't even open.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Empire View Post
I have a vague understanding of how to use the tools, but where do I get them? I've tried Whack a Hack, and some of the tools won't even open.
Try the "Toolbox" Forums. They have quite a few, and if you want, and you can try the "search" function if you can't easily find it in that Forum.

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
AnotherLevel
Beginning Trainer

Wheres a good place to find custom BW mugshots/overworlds/trainer battle sprites from?

Last edited by AnotherLevel; March 10th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:04 AM
darkprince909

Of course it's possible I was wrong. The only reason I assumed cmda06 wasn't necessary was because the tutorial for unlocking it in Firered made no mention of it. My assumption of the background bytes not working was because of the same tutorial, which only has a spot for inputting the ashy grass, the grass with ashy background, and the normal grass, and nothing else, but that may be because of the script.

I assume (not like my assumptions seem to ever hold true) that there's a sort of table in the rom, which cmda06 calls. assuming that you could find this, you could write another ASM script which would handle the background tree tiles, and put it in the table in question. The simplest way, in my opinion, would be to add setmaptile scripts to each place underneath the tree, and play the animation involved with the puff of ash. All of these things I believe you can access in a script. setanimation and doanimation can play the puff of dust. (0x7 is the ashgrass dust cloud, but the list I have also says it does a setmaptile part, so 0xA should also work [0xA is the dust cloud when the player jumps off a ledge])

And you explained it perfectly clear, i was just being stupid, so no hard feelings?
So, um, I feel like a real noob for asking this, but how exactly would i find the table that controls the ashy grass and go about changing it so the right half of the tree top would work (basically, just adding one more linked block, similar to the normal ashy grass with nothing in front of it. that always changes to a specific block, and every other block changes to a specific other block.) I havent done any work with ASM before, and advanced scripting still eludes me (I am working on it though.) My areas of expertise, though are definitely in the graphical areas of hacking. If anyone more experienced than I would be so kind as to help out a fledgling hacker, I'd be truly grateful.
And I've tried looking at tutorials, but it just seems to fly right above my head. I tend to learn a lot better with combined examples and hands-on, which makes tutorials sometimes not the best method, oddly)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here