The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice

Intro

Instead of working on a full-length hack, I've chosen to do a series of smaller, more compact hacks. This series will be called Pokémon Miniventures, and the first one, Cubone and the Power Crystal is a light-hearted game that sees the player, one of the last remaining Team Rocket members, discover the secrets of a deserted island for eternal power. Oh and a talking Cubone is involved.

Background Story

Last year, a prodigious Pokémon Trainer by the name of Red rose from nowhere and became the Indigo League Champion, taking down Giovanni's evil Team Rocket organisation. You were part of said organisation, but don't believe that because the team has been disbanded you should stop doing what you do best. That all goes wrong, however, when you're discovered. The police pursue you, and you manage to escape until you arrive at Seven Island, where, if all had gone to plan, you would have been home-free.

It seems, however that the bridge that led to your getaway is broken (why does that keep happening to you?). Determined not to go away for life, you (stupidly) jump into the fast-flowing currents and, assuming you had drowned, the police leave. However, after what appears to be days of being pushed and pulled by the seas currents, you find yourself being awoken by a Cubone on a mysterious island, who appears to be trying to communicate with you...

Screenshots

Note: The player's OW is tentative to change. The backsprite also hasn't been edited yet.

Videos

Tile errors in these videos have probably been noticed and fixed by me already. :D

Features

• A completely different story!
  • Talking Pokémon via the Mystical Bone.
  • A deserted island with a mysterious past.
  • Cubone! (yes that's a feature)
  • Three completely different dungeons complete with bosses and mini-bosses.
  • Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle!
  • Time travel!

Awards

Because I love rubbing stuff in yo face

Credits

• DrFuji and Giradialkia
Listening to me ramble ideas, script help, etc. DrFuji also helped a ton inserting the Iron Pyramid's area image.
HackMew, Lu-Ho, VBA Team, Wichu, link12552, mh-nexus
Tools.
• Neti, Thrace and Fangking Omega
Snow ROM base - some tiles are partly edited by me.
• diegoisawesome and Mastermind_x
Helping me insert Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle.
• cuddlesthefatcat
Awesome tiles.

Closing Word

Thanks for reading so far. Please don't take this hack too seriously, I'm well aware it has some features that are less then believable but hey, it's just for fun. I think that's what's missing from the Hacking community: people aren't trying to make their games fun, they're trying to make them the longest, prettiest, best scripted, deepest storyline'd game and it leads to failure most of the time. Just chill out and make something cool ;D

Last edited by Spherical Ice; April 10th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. This pleases me to no end! :D I love it! The entire concept of a 'microhack' (let's see if that sticks) is pretty awesome, and I think you have a valid point when you say:
Quote:
Just chill out and make something cool ;D
And this certainly looks cool. The story hints at something amazing, and the screens, though they don't give all that much away, certainly look promising. Keep up the awesomeness Haroun, great job so far buddy :)

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Nature: Brave
Great idea, i was thinkin of doing the same thing justbased on the pokemon movies, but i never got around to it good luck mate u got my support.
oh i think the destroyed deck looks cool as.

When the world is in its final moments..
Where will you be?
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Oh wow, this thread went up fast :P

Anyway, I know this hack is in its early stages, but it definitely looks like it is on the right track. Like gira I also like the idea of a 'microhack' where you can just have some fun for an hour or two with a short game. Anyway, are you going to be sticking with the default tiles for the entire game or will you also add some more to make it look a bit more like a jungle? I like the fact that you also recognise that Cubone is a feature unto itself.

Anyway, keep on broin' it up with this hack :P
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. This pleases me to no end! :D I love it! The entire concept of a 'microhack' (let's see if that sticks) is pretty awesome, and I think you have a valid point when you say:

And this certainly looks cool. The story hints at something amazing, and the screens, though they don't give all that much away, certainly look promising. Keep up the awesomeness Haroun, great job so far buddy :)
Haha, I'm glad you like it. Thanks :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbles View Post
Great idea, i was thinkin of doing the same thing justbased on the pokemon movies, but i never got around to it :) good luck mate u got my support.
oh i think the destroyed deck looks cool as.
Nice! Of course, there's nothing stopping you doing those movie hacks too :D Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
Oh wow, this thread went up fast :P

Anyway, I know this hack is in its early stages, but it definitely looks like it is on the right track. Like gira I also like the idea of a 'microhack' where you can just have some fun for an hour or two with a short game. Anyway, are you going to be sticking with the default tiles for the entire game or will you also add some more to make it look a bit more like a jungle? I like the fact that you also recognise that Cubone is a feature unto itself.

Anyway, keep on broin' it up with this hack :P
Thanks broseph. I'm definitely adding some custom FR tiles but I'm not really gonna bother too much with a whole new graphical style because I'm lazy.

Anyway:

Update!

A few screenshots from the first dungeon: when you step on the green buttons, it will open any green doors and close any pink doors. Stepping on the pink buttons with close any green doors and open any pink doors. The idea is to get the key in the chest and proceed onto the next level, to eventually beat the boss and miniboss.

Last edited by Spherical Ice; March 6th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
This looks very good :D
I think you've got a lot of potential playability here
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quiet
This looks awesome, HotY candidate already, if you manage to pull this off, which I have no doubts you will.
Anyway, like I sad on MSN, I think the text colours should be changed just for extra coolness, maybe green or something? Jut because it's a Pokémon, and it's the humans that use blue/red.
Anyway puzzle idea is nice.
'k I posted in yours go post in mine.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
This looks very good :D
I think you've got a lot of potential playability here :)
Thanks!
What exactly do you mean by playability? :0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
This looks awesome, HotY candidate already, if you manage to pull this off, which I have no doubts you will.
Anyway, like I sad on MSN, I think the text colours should be changed just for extra coolness, maybe green or something? Jut because it's a Pokémon, and it's the humans that use blue/red.
Anyway puzzle idea is nice.
'k I posted in yours go post in mine.
Lol HOTY. In my dreams at least :P
As their are really no humans in this except for the policemen in the beginning, who have green text anyway, I don't plan to change the colour for Cubone etc. It seems like a bit too much effort for something so minor imo. Thanks anyway, and sure thing.

The next update is either a video or a preview to the dungeon's miniboss. Or both. Or neither. Idk.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:23 AM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
This is looking great! I love the concept of a microhack with just a short, fun game. The custom FR tiles and puzzles are also looking great. I agree with Fireworks though, maybe you should change the Pokemon's text to green and the policeman's text to blue? Good luck! :)
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Playability is a quality of a game that makes it playable (makes the player enjoy but still provide a decent amount of difficulty) :D
This hack is bound to be very playable
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Potent
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
People aren't trying to make their games fun, they're trying to make them the longest, prettiest, best scripted, deepest storyline'd game and it leads to failure most of the time. Just chill out and make something cool ;D
Probably the best statement I have ever seen in this section. Totally agree with you mate. I love the idea of this hack and hope it goes far! I cant wait to play it and its many sequels!
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Update!

A video of the beginning scenes of this hack. Any tile errors have been fixed, rest assured ;D.
Also I ended up changing the text of Cubone to green, happy now? ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
This is looking great! I love the concept of a microhack with just a short, fun game. The custom FR tiles and puzzles are also looking great. I agree with Fireworks though, maybe you should change the Pokemon's text to green and the policeman's text to blue? Good luck! :)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
Playability is a quality of a game that makes it playable (makes the player enjoy but still provide a decent amount of difficulty) :D
This hack is bound to be very playable :)
Thought that was what you meant. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent View Post
Probably the best statement I have ever seen in this section. Totally agree with you mate. I love the idea of this hack and hope it goes far! I cant wait to play it and its many sequels!
Glad to see I ain't alone~
Thanks though technically they won't be sequels, just separate hacks.!

Anyway, I've updated the first post with some updated screenshots.
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Potent
Beginning Trainer

I absolutely love the video and can't wait to play this hack As for my comment earlier I didn't really mean a sequel to this story I just meant more Pokemon MiniAdventures.
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Wahahahahahawesome. Yes, he's back! And with a great hack idea, too!

Great stuff there, Haroun. Keep it up! I hope the best for this! God I don't know how to compliment you right now.
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Haha, I'm glad you like it. Thanks :3

Nice! Of course, there's nothing stopping you doing those movie hacks too :D Thanks!

Thanks broseph. I'm definitely adding some custom FR tiles but I'm not really gonna bother too much with a whole new graphical style because I'm lazy.

Anyway:

Update!

A few screenshots from the first dungeon: when you step on the green buttons, it will open any green doors and close any pink doors. Stepping on the pink buttons with close any green doors and open any pink doors. The idea is to get the key in the chest and proceed onto the next level, to eventually beat the boss and miniboss.
I like the concept, but those green and pink tiles look like you ripped them from one of the canes in Loz Lttp.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:52 PM
onelifeleft
McLovin Waffles

This looks like a good one! I'll definately play this when it comes out.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
I absolutely love the video and can't wait to play this hack:) As for my comment earlier I didn't really mean a sequel to this story I just meant more Pokemon MiniAdventures.
Thanks, and I was just clarifying ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
Wahahahahahawesome. Yes, he's back! And with a great hack idea, too!

Great stuff there, Haroun. Keep it up! I hope the best for this! God I don't know how to compliment you right now.
Hey dude! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Zero View Post

I like the concept, but those green and pink tiles look like you ripped them from one of the canes in Loz Lttp.
I see where you'r e coming from, but:

You can see the Zelda tiles were much better tiled than mine. Which were custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifeleft View Post
This looks like a good one! I'll definately play this when it comes out.
Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Wow, great concept you made here!
I gotta agree that the concept of mini-hacks is something worth trying.
And by looking at the video, I really got the urge to play :D
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
The video is veeery nice :D

(Somewhat familiar to hack of my own where you also need to explore and find stuff like Keys to get through some parts of the game)

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Potent
Beginning Trainer

Hey I was going to mention this earlier but by any chance do need (or want) A website developed for the MiniAdventures. I'm currently developing for two clients a yt channel with near 3000 subs and one with near 1000. I'm willing to take on a third client and I am wanting to do it for someone developing hacks this time round. Let me know if you are interested.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Wow, great concept you made here!
I gotta agree that the concept of mini-hacks is something worth trying.
And by looking at the video, I really got the urge to play :D
Thanks!
Hopefully I'll be able to release a demo soon, though the first dungeon is taking a bit of time to chew through (lolol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
The video is veeery nice :D

(Somewhat familiar to hack of my own where you also need to explore and find stuff like Keys to get through some parts of the game)
Thanks!

(Haha, it's not exactly an exclusive idea, it's been done in, like, every dungeon game ever XD)

Quote:
Hey I was going to mention this earlier but by any chance do need (or want) A website developed for the MiniAdventures. I'm currently developing for two clients a yt channel with near 3000 subs and one with near 1000. I'm willing to take on a third client and I am wanting to do it for someone developing hacks this time round. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer, if I do I'll keep you in mind. Though if it does come to it I'd be able to add it to my own website (been HTML'ing and CSS'ing for years now lol) but I'll keep the offer in mind. Though I'd reccommend leaving that stuff to VMs just in case Gira get's pissed 8D

I apologise for the slow pace I've been working at, all I've got to show is a quick screen from floor two of Dungeon 1 (btw, any suggestions for this name? the dungeon boss is related to rocks and stuff, and the dungeon's got an ancient contraption/indiana jones theme).

Last edited by Spherical Ice; March 8th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Update!

So! I've finally worked my way through the first dungeon (which is still unnamed >:), so work can finally begin on the main chunk of the hack. These screens show you the oss of the dungeon, and a new team member. So yeah!

Last edited by Spherical Ice; March 10th, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:47 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

This looks good. Good luck :D (and try to finish)
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:50 AM
DeagleAc3
Unhatched Egg

Loooks sooooo good, please finish this soon! =P
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
This looks good. Good luck :D (and try to finish)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeagleAc3 View Post
Loooks sooooo good, please finish this soon! =P
Thanks to you both, and I'm working as fast as I can! :D

Anyway, quick mini-update-thing:

Just some "trainer" sprites I've edited/inserted. The first one is the sprite of those statues you see in some of the other screens and the second one is, obviously, a Pikachu.

Sponsored Links