The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Trade Corner

Notices

Trade Corner Having trouble completing your Pokédex? Looking for a certain Pokémon or have a rare one to offer? This is your forum. Everything related to wireless trades can be discussed here.

View Poll Results: Bring challenges back?
Yes, I'll be happy to participate! 17 94.44%
No, I think we don't need them at all. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:39 AM
EB
Re: World
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
Oh, you're actually planning to use my challenges? Sweet! B]

I'll start the challenge as soon as I can; it'll be a little easier after tomorrow when my spring break starts. :cer_boogie:

(I'll invent more challenges for you when I'm feeling inspired...)

EDIT:

That sounded slightly conceited; let's try "when I have enough time to brainstorm." =p)

Last edited by EB; March 8th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
johnny18
Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Challege completed

OT:Tevin l ID:28568
IVs: 31-31-31-x-31-31
Nature: Impish l Ability: Intimidate
Caught at Route 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Garden of Fire View Post
And also...okay, thanks for that johnny18 but if I were to find out my Sweet Scent frame advance by your example, still...how would you find out that you're in frame 47? And not only that, you'd advance your frames by any kind of way that's possible and consistent (maybe by calling Prof. Elm/Joey), right? And you'd also have to do 10 Prof. Elm calls after changing the system's time and date (if required) and also after waiting a minute to find out what seed you're in, right? And also...how would this RNG abuse actually work? (What are the steps?)
I know my frame by using encounter slot and IVs of the pokemon I catch. I have the feeling that you actually do not understand what I say at all. There is currently no guide for RNG in HGSS so you may need to read this guide http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_intro first before you ask anymore question. I know that this guide is for D/P/Pl but it applies to HGSS also no worries about it. If you have anymore questions after reading it, ask us either on here or trying to find a date so you can get on the chatroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth boy View Post

I'll start the challenge as soon as I can; it'll be a little easier after tomorrow when my spring break starts. :cer_boogie:

EDIT:

That sounded slightly conceited; let's try "when I have enough time to brainstorm." =p)
Spring Break, hehehe you can talk with us more <3

Last edited by johnny18; March 8th, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:

EDIT:

Well, I thought the Team Rocket thing was cool, you don't get to know what I think of all of them though! xD

Challenge completed!

Yanma ♀ Lv. 1
OT: Mac | ID: 36152
Nature: Timid
Ability: Speed Boost
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 30, 31 Ground 70
EVs: Untrained
Moves: Tackle, AncientPower, Hidden Power, Protect
Non-Redis

I really like this 'mon as it's very useful in battle and it's Jessie's, my favorite member of Team Rocket. It only saddens me that there were not any capture seeds with the IVs I wanted!

Last edited by Cordelia; March 9th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:08 AM
何贤豪

So...you check the encounter slot of the Pokemon you caught that isn't the Pokemon you wanted to catch and put it into the RNG Reporter (maybe that's where you put it in) with the Pokemon's IVs to find what frame you landed on instead of the frame that you had to land on? (Sorry if I'm incorrect)
And also...about the current challenge. I can use Pokemon that Team Rocket temporarily had, right? Not just the ones that are currently with Team Rocket?

Last edited by 何贤豪; March 9th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:10 AM
johnny18
Community Supporter

Quote:
So...you check the encounter slot of the Pokemon you caught that isn't the Pokemon you wanted to catch and put it into the RNG Reporter (maybe that's where you put it in) with the Pokemon's IVs to find what frame you landed on instead of the frame that you had to land on? (Sorry if I'm incorrect)
And also...about the current challenge. I can use Pokemon that Team Rocket temporarily had, right? Not just the ones that are currently with Team Rocket?
Yes, that's what it is except that you only need to put your seed on the main reporter's box where it says "Seed (Hex)." It will show you all the frames that you may get starting from frame one. For the challenge, I think Mac may say yes so pick whatever mon you want to RNG as long as they are or used to be in Team Rocket.
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
You check it against what RNG reporter says, yes that is correct. Usually you'll be right around your target and you just adjust your calls from there.

And yes, you may use a Pokemon that was temporarily used by Team Rocket. If you want, even include a picture like I did! Makes it more fun, I think. xD
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:14 AM
johnny18
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac of York View Post
Challenge completed!

Yanma ♀ Lv. 1
Nature: Timid
Ability: Speed Boost
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 30, 31 Ground 70
Moves: Tackle, AncientPower, Hidden Power, Protect
Non-Redis

Jesse has a yanmega, not yanma. Wrong pic lol
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny18 View Post
Jesse has a yanmega, not yanma. Wrong pic lol
That's what I get for being tired all the time! Thanks Johnny for pointing that out. I found a picture on Bulbapedia that had Jessie capturing Yanma (even though she's not pictured). So that'll do for now, I guess... even though I bred it D:
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM
何贤豪

Okay...but still, where would you put the information (Encounter slot and IVs, like what I said above)?
And also...if you got a seed from PokeRNG, if you were to use that seed, you would just put the seed on the main screen (the one with the method options), choose how the Pokemon's generated (method 1 or any other method), click Generate, hit the delay and time that you have to hit, advance the frames and then find the Pokemon you like to catch...right?
Secondly, I kinda already asked this, but I'll just say this again. How do you RNG Wonder Card Pokemon? I guess it's like most other RNG abuses...just get the seed you'd like to hit, get the Wonder Card, go to the Poke Mart to get the Pokemon you'd like later on, save, turn off, change the time to your target time - 1 full minute - the seconds, hit the right target time & delay, advance the frames, collect the Pokemon, check whether you got the result you wanted and if you got what you wanted, you're done. I'm sure I'm wrong (a bit). And I have an idea for two challenges...how about...
1. RNG a Pokemon owned by Ash and his friends (the list: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash%27s_friends)
2. RNG a Pokemon that was temporarily owned by someone (anyone's fine)

Last edited by 何贤豪; March 9th, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Okay...but still, where would you put the information (Encounter slot and IVs, like what I said above)?
And also...if you got a seed from PokeRNG, if you were to use that seed, you would just put the seed on the main screen (the one with the method options), choose how the Pokemon's generated (method 1 or any other method), click Generate, hit the delay and time that you have to hit, advance the frames and then find the Pokemon you like to catch...right?
Secondly, I kinda already asked this, but I'll just say this again. How do you RNG Wonder Card Pokemon? I guess it's like most other RNG abuses...just get the seed you'd like to hit, get the Wonder Card, go to the Poke Mart to get the Pokemon you'd like later on, save, turn off, change the time to your target time - 1 full minute - the seconds, hit the right target time & delay, advance the frames, collect the Pokemon, check whether you got the result you wanted and if you got what you wanted, you're done. I'm sure I'm wrong (a bit). And I have an idea for two challenges...how about...
1. RNG a Pokemon owned by Ash and his friends (the list: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash%27s_friends)
2. RNG a Pokemon that was temporarily owned by someone (anyone's fine)
You really should read the guide Johnny posted a few times, it'll help you with a lot of the questions you're having. I've found it very useful myself. And I don't know how to RNG wondercards for 4th generation games.

Also, I like your ideas for challenges! Thanks a lot for submitting them.

Last edited by Cordelia; March 9th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I completed the challenge, but instead of a specific Pokémon I did my trainer ID/SID for Pearl to get a few flawless shiny seeds. Pearl is the first game I learned to RNG on and it was the game that got me back into Pokémon after Emerald.

Rue | 16561
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Cordelia
Banned

I'm going to admit that for the first challenge since I know for a fact that you did it before the deadline. Just next time make sure you post before it expires!

My two latest RNG abuses:

Kanani (Oddish) ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
Moves: Absorb, Teeter Dance, Synthesis, Worry Seed
Non-Redis

Ponyta ♂ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Naive
Ability: Flash Fire
IVs: 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 31 Grass 70
Moves: Tackle, Horn Drill, Hypnosis, Morning Sun
Non-Redis

These were both BPs woot, I'm glad I got them both done today.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:42 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm going to admit that for the first challenge since I know for a fact that you did it before the deadline. Just next time make sure you post before it expires!

My two latest RNG abuses:

Kanani (Oddish) ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
Moves: Absorb, Teeter Dance, Synthesis, Worry Seed
Non-Redis

Ponyta ♂ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Naive
Ability: Flash Fire
IVs: 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 31 Grass 70
Moves: Tackle, Horn Drill, Hypnosis, Morning Sun
Non-Redis

These were both BPs ^^ woot, I'm glad I got them both done today.
Tehehe. I will next time. x]

Nice RNGs. After I'm done with all my legends on all my 4th gen I'm going to move on to breeding/captures. xD I'm so behind right now. D:
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakalina View Post

Tehehe. I will next time. x]

Nice RNGs. After I'm done with all my legends on all my 4th gen I'm going to move on to breeding/captures. xD I'm so behind right now. D:
You better! You've got a lot to learn still, young lady. :3
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM
이큐리
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Community Supporter

Quote:
You better! You've got a lot to learn still, young lady. :3
I already know how to do them so, no, not really.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakalina View Post

I already know how to do them so, no, not really.
You know I was trolling ya It'll be a lot easier now I bet!
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM
何贤豪

Well, I think I should read the guide (which I have, but I still don't really understand)...but still, there are some differences from HGSS RNG abuse and DPPt RNG abuse...like the absence of the Journal, the absence of the Poketch...and I'd rather read small things rather than a big ton of stuff that I don't even understand.

Sorry if this would just bring more problems...but that's me.
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:40 PM
johnny18
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well, I think I should read the guide (which I have, but I still don't really understand)...but still, there are some differences from HGSS RNG abuse and DPPt RNG abuse...like the absence of the Journal, the absence of the Poketch...and I'd rather read small things rather than a big ton of stuff that I don't even understand.

Sorry if this would just bring more problems...but that's me.
Based on what you post so far, I think that the small things that you try to read are the things that you understand the most so I think you need to focus on the big stuffs that you do not understand. Trying to study the differences will be pointless if you do not understand similar comcept of RNG in HGSS and D/P/Pl. Not trying to be mean, just want to give you advice.
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:41 AM
何贤豪

Okay, I think I'll take that in mind...
And I saw a page that made me understand about the whole Sweet Scent thing...and also gets me confused again.
It's this page: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/appendix_sweetscent
I looked it up and what got me confused was on finding your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered and also on finding your Actual Frame. How do you find your Actual Frame and how would you find your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered (would this link to finding your Actual Frame?) This is confusing for me...and I guess you'll just ask me to look up the page again.
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
EB

Finished the challenge! (Finally...)

Yamask | Level: 19
OT: eb | ID: 46682 | Game: White
Nature: Bold | Ability: Mummy | IVs: 31 31 31 31 31 31
EVs: Untrained | HP: Dark - 70
Disable | Haze | Night Shade | Hex
Non-Redis

=

Did my best to find a Unova Pokémon--seeing as I've only been RNGing in Gen5--and this was the one I had available. (Also ironically a contender for my party, as I restarted my game for Tepig.)
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
johnny18
Community Supporter

Quote:
Okay, I think I'll take that in mind...
And I saw a page that made me understand about the whole Sweet Scent thing...and also gets me confused again.
It's this page: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/appendix_sweetscent
I looked it up and what got me confused was on finding your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered and also on finding your Actual Frame. How do you find your Actual Frame and how would you find your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered (would this link to finding your Actual Frame?) This is confusing for me...and I guess you'll just ask me to look up the page again.
This is for all Wild Pokemon Encounters, not just ones brought about by sweet scent. First you must know the frame of the spread you encountered. You must also know the "Actual Frame" of the spread you encountered. The Actual Frame of a spread is the frame of the spread in Method 1. To find your current frame after the encounter, you must take the Actual Frame of the spread and add 6. That is your current frame.

*sign* It is in there but do not worry about it. This guide is an old one and we are not going to advance this way since it requires you to encounter a pokemon. Just do what you do, hit delays, advance the frame. That's all you need to know.

Quote:

Non-Redis

=

Did my best to find a Unova Pokémon--seeing as I've only been RNGing in Gen5--and this was the one I had available. (Also ironically a contender for my party, as I restarted my game for Tepig.)
Yay, gimme gimme gimme :D. Congrats anyway

Last edited by johnny18; March 10th, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
EB

Oh and Mac, your OP has the current challenge still marked as "Challenge #1." @_@
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:

Non-Redis

=

It's about damn time xD Congratulations! I think soon you will truly get a handle on this

Quote:
Oh and Mac, your OP has the current challenge still marked as "Challenge #1." @_@
Oh, I uhh... fixed that. Sorry.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Mild
Hey, lovelies. I'd like to join. :)

Stellar job to everyone trying to perform a feat beyond the casual gaming experience, stellar job to everyone successfully getting their desired target, and stellar job to everyone helping each other out.

In response to earth boy the other day!
Spoiler:
Quote:
I've been Googling and I think I've gone through at least three different guides by now, trying to find out how RNGing actually works. All the guides I've read only seem to talk about what the individual needs to do to get their proper Pokémon; they never seem to explain how they game processes the information we feed it to give us the results we're looking for.

I think that if we did more to elaborate this, more people would be able to grasp the entire picture, maybe even without other forms of communication outside of text. Without this information, they'll just dive in, mess things up, and start bombarding others with noob questions about why they didn't get their flawless shiny legendary. (And we all know we've been guilty of similar issues.) By giving examples of mistakes and how the game responds in patterns during such mistakes, we could also help explain to people how the game spat out the results it did--ultimately narrowing down the possible things the person messed up on.

This way they don't have to restart, praying they get every single little detail on the bulls-eye, without even really knowing what went wrong. They'll be able to pinpoint the human error and eliminate it within the first few tries, knowing full well that none of the other elements were the issue. All this is really offering is just the proper means of practice; if the individual was without a clue as to what went wrong, if they're smart they'll end up looking for the thing that caused their problem: they'll try to control all but one function and fluctuate that one while the others remain fixed. If that wasn't it, they'll do so with another function, ultimately leading to a ridiculously grueling process of trial and error.

If you get what I'm saying, does anyone else agree with this? Or have I simply been looking in the wrong places, where the game's processing hasn't been addressed?
Quote:
When I posted, I didn't mean specifically all the algorithms and numbers associated with how the game works, just specific patterns that the game goes through that give just the right amount of evidence we need to say, "Oh, you forgot to do [x]" or "this was off by [x] amount," etc.

I completely agree that going through the game coding would be ridiculously tiresome and very few people would have the patience to read such a document to begin with. But if we can categorize specific mistakes, noobs like myself will have the evidence in front of them they need, informing them what specifically went wrong--even if they're still overwhelmed.

I kinda get what you're saying. People have different learning styles, true! There are whole-part learners (big picture then details) and part-whole learners (details then big picture).

However, I don't think any guides are taking interest in illustrating the big picture first because... All a beginner has to do is perform the steps. Only certain actions (e.g. journal flipping, app tapping, withdrawing, chatot listening) will accurately and consistently advance the IV RNG or the PID RNG. Only certain actions optimize the program. If the beginner isn't going step by step or is sidetracking from the guide, then he/she will encounter many problems. RNG abuse is pretty simple that if a beginner is describing everything, someone (experienced) can pinpoint what error the beginner is committing. Are you proposing an already-made FAQ saying "if you're doing this and you're getting this, you're error is ___" ? Maybe that can be in the works...

One could explain what's going on in the game. One could clarify every term or every concept. (The guides are overwhelming enough with the steps...) Even so, I often find that firsthand experience (mistakes included) are better ways for someone to learn something. I know that those who dived into RNG abused forgot really simple things (such as the MAC Address). It was already established in (at least my) guides that you gotta keep track of the unique MAC address. Oh boy, after an hour of failing at finding the parameters only to discover he's using the MAC address of the other DS, he sure didn't forget such a little detail ever again.

We just stress that beginners read everything and let the process sink in first. Try it out first. Yes, if it's taking forever with no results, they can gladly ask anyone for help.

Also, I don't use the term noob. You're all kittens! Soft... warm... cute... cuddly... You will grow up to be even more beautiful some day.

Hope this helped anyone in some way.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Hi Blade! Thanks for joining B) Your expertise is always most desired here so I hope this wasn't a one and done kind of deal. I hope to see some RNGs from you whenever you feel up to it. Welcome!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links