The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #351    
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I think there's a difference between "good" and "good for its time", and very few people seem to be able to make that distinction.
Could you give some examples of some more 'modern' films that are "good" and "good for its time"? To me, quality is absolute, so it'd be interesting to hear some debates on this. :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #352    
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Well I can give you examples of films that are "good" - but whether they are good in absolute quality or merely good for their time remains to be seen. After all, if the movies are modern we still are in their time and only time will tell.

Though it is an interesting debate - take for example my "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" example. That might have been a groundbreaking and scandalous thing to say in its time, but in a modern setting where culture has changed so drastically, it is kind of lame. That's why it bugs me so much when people set it on a pedestal among the absolute greatest lines ever. When you consider all the movies and all the lines that have happened since then, it doesn't even rate in the top 100.
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #353    
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
OK, let's reverse it then. Can you give some examples of 'good' films that were made before 1990? (As opposed to 'good for their time' films.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #354    
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
OK, let's reverse it then. Can you give some examples of 'good' films that were made before 1990? (As opposed to 'good for their time' films.)
I guess "good" rather than "good for their time" would imply some degree of last-ability?

And prior to 1990? Like... everything from the decade prior XD Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, E.T., Back to the Future. Lots.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #355    
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Well I can give you examples of films that are "good" - but whether they are good in absolute quality or merely good for their time remains to be seen. After all, if the movies are modern we still are in their time and only time will tell.

Though it is an interesting debate - take for example my "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" example. That might have been a groundbreaking and scandalous thing to say in its time, but in a modern setting where culture has changed so drastically, it is kind of lame. That's why it bugs me so much when people set it on a pedestal among the absolute greatest lines ever. When you consider all the movies and all the lines that have happened since then, it doesn't even rate in the top 100.
I don't know, it might just be that I love Gone with The Wind more than any other film, but that line is still quite badass to me. Well, badass isn't really the right word, but you understand what I mean, yes? I'd be horrified to hear that the person I wanted most in the word said that they didn't give a damn about me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #356    
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
OK, let's reverse it then. Can you give some examples of 'good' films that were made before 1990? (As opposed to 'good for their time' films.)
Brazil is a good film, I think, as are other Terry Gilliam films like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. And the Monty Python movies, of course. People can, and do, still quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail and get laughs.

There's also Jaws, Diabolique, and lots of Hitchcock's films which will keep you in genuine suspense. Then there are old movies that you think will be throwaway, typical films from their time which manage to surprise you. That happened when I watched The Teahouse of the August Moon which was rather good (even if it did have Marlon Brando in yellowface). Not great, but still good.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #357    
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Brazil is a good film, I think, as are other Terry Gilliam films like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. And the Monty Python movies, of course. People can, and do, still quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail and get laughs.

There's also Jaws, Diabolique, and lots of Hitchcock's films which will keep you in genuine suspense. Then there are old movies that you think will be throwaway, typical films from their time which manage to surprise you. That happened when I watched The Teahouse of the August Moon which was rather good (even if it did have Marlon Brando in yellowface). Not great, but still good.
Brazil was good. It has its merits. Dunno if I'd watch it repeatedly.

I really did not enjoy Munchausen though. Might have had a different effect if I knew the source material.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #358    
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Ergh I have been so damn busy these last few days. Kramer vs Kramer was the example that immediately sprang to mind (I finally saw it the other day, after buying the DVD months ago and it was fantastic) and the only other one I can think of is Shirley Valentine which is not something I think anybody would have heard of.

I don't really watch movies from pre-1990 lol.
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #359    
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Gold warehouse's Avatar
Gold warehouse
peanut butter cake lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 21
I think good for their time films are things that were influential and popular at the time, but now just aren't as enjoyable. Films like Casablanca and Gone With the Wind will always be timelessly enjoyable. What always springs to mind for me is Citizen Kane, influential yes, but it is just not enjoyable at all and I would definitely not watch it again. I'm always disappointed when it tops "best of all time" lists, or if modern film makers cite it as an influence. It was influential for years afterwards yes, but still? It's like how every single band in the world say they were influenced by The Beatles just for the sake of it.

Things like Psycho or And Then There Were None as well I think, would have been scary at the time, now they're more like an unintentional comedy.
Reply With Quote
  #360    
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Brazil is a good film, I think, as are other Terry Gilliam films like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. And the Monty Python movies, of course. People can, and do, still quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail and get laughs.
I'm not a massive Python fan, but I absolutely love Brazil. So madcap and witty and it goes against everything one would expect in a futuristic sci-fi movie with its art direction. It's been a while since I've seen it, but it has a special place in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
There's also Jaws, Diabolique, and lots of Hitchcock's films which will keep you in genuine suspense. Then there are old movies that you think will be throwaway, typical films from their time which manage to surprise you. That happened when I watched The Teahouse of the August Moon which was rather good (even if it did have Marlon Brando in yellowface). Not great, but still good.
I know what you mean about 'throwaway' films from a bygone era. For me, the best example of that would be something like Holiday from 1940. Despite being light and frothy when watching, it has a real staying power that lingers long after one has ejected the DVD from the computer (in my case, at least...)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #361    
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Ugh, Psycho never interested me at all. I've seen it... but it just never thrilled/shocked me or even got close to living up to it's legendary film status. I saw it just so I could say that I've seen it and to be honest, I almost regret seeing it.
__________________

Last edited by Mariah Carey; March 14th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #362    
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
Films like Casablanca and Gone With the Wind will always be timelessly enjoyable.
I just don't see it! I really wish I did, but I just don't. I seriously put most films like this in the "good for their time" category.

Also, CBS has renewed a whole stack of unimportant shows, along with important ones like The Good Wife!
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #363    
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:06 AM
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I just don't see it! I really wish I did, but I just don't. I seriously put most films like this in the "good for their time" category.

Also, CBS has renewed a whole stack of unimportant shows, along with important ones like The Good Wife!
Yay Person of Interest was renewed!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #364    
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I just don't see it! I really wish I did, but I just don't. I seriously put most films like this in the "good for their time" category.

Also, CBS has renewed a whole stack of unimportant shows, along with important ones like The Good Wife!
CSI is still going? That stopped being interesting around season 5-6. Are there even any original characters still around?
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #365    
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Nick and Greg are the only two original characters that are still around. I think Sarah came back but I haven't been following CSI at all since Grissom left. :c It just hasn't been the same since to since then I've moved on to Criminal Minds and Psych.

Speaking of Criminal Minds it's great that it was renewed! Now I just hope they don't have any problems with the actors like that did last season.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
Reply With Quote
  #366    
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
The only one of those renewals I care about is The Good Wife. In another year, I might have cared about HIMYM or BBT, but I've just lost interest completely in both those shows, so I don't anymore. But still... yay Good Wife!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #367    
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I still don't see how people can lose interest in shows. When I commit to a show it's til death do us part.
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #368    
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Cello's Avatar
Cello
Tonight!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: get the mascot involved
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
So back in the day I used to be into a lot of indie pop/rock type stuff (I guess that's what you would call it) but I kinda stopped keeping tabs on it lately.

Does anybody know of some good, kinda unheard of, upbeat pop/rock?

An example of music i'm looking for would be Vibe by Coyote Theory, which is a band I just recently heard of:




Key word here is upbeat. I'd rather not hear the sad, heart broken songs. :P
I need something that's going to keep me pumped while i'm working on art!
__________________
Yeah Football Fan!
Reply With Quote
  #369    
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
2 Broke Girls got renewed.
Bye.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #370    
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Tyrantrum's Avatar
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
So back in the day I used to be into a lot of indie pop/rock type stuff (I guess that's what you would call it) but I kinda stopped keeping tabs on it lately.

Does anybody know of some good, kinda unheard of, upbeat pop/rock?

An example of music i'm looking for would be Vibe by Coyote Theory, which is a band I just recently heard of:




Key word here is upbeat. I'd rather not hear the sad, heart broken songs. :P
I need something that's going to keep me pumped while i'm working on art!
I love these guys! This is my favorite song. c: Um, if you go in Rise Records channel on YouTube, you might find some good Pop Punk, don't know if you're looking for that. Try Transit, they're pretty good, even though I don't really listen to that kind of music.


Hands Like Houses just released their full-length album and I recommend it to EVERYONE! Don't worry, they don't scream. ;)

Here's my favorite song off the album (Matty Mullins from Memphis May Fire does guest vocals; 0:45 - 1:00):

__________________




(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Reply With Quote
  #371    
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Houndour2005's Avatar
Houndour2005
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Gabby Gums
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Hansi Hinterseer with Ski Twist.

He has his own TV shows.

And you can often see him live in concert in our local city with other names like Semino Rossi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDmdbv0wQ1A

Goran Bregovic - Pray do lewego

He makes music for movies and this is one of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKF2G...ure=plpp_video
__________________

Last edited by Houndour2005; March 16th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #372    
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I still don't see how people can lose interest in shows. When I commit to a show it's til death do us part.
How devoted you are. But some of us believe that if a show becomes unwatchable it's okay to divorce. I mean stop watching.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
  #373    
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Ryoutarou's Avatar
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
That's the basic crux of a lot of American TV, so it shouldn't be too difficult to see why people would stop liking a show. Most shows go on until the ratings no longer merit the continued production, and this is usually because the stories and characters have become so diluted that they no longer have the spark that originally captured people's interest in the first place.

Quote:
In another year, I might have cared about HIMYM or BBT, but I've just lost interest completely in both those shows, so I don't anymore.
HIMYM has been bothering me so much this season. I was like the only person in my group of friends that somehow didn't think Robin being sterile was sad. It's hard to feel bad for her when she's literally dancing about the fact that she isn't pregnant just minutes earlier in that episode. Not to mention going back to the Robin and Ted story yet again, it's just redundant at this point. Though I do like that for once it seems we might be getting a major development as far as that story goes, even if it should have come a season or two earlier.


Quote:
What always springs to mind for me is Citizen Kane, influential yes, but it is just not enjoyable at all and I would definitely not watch it again. I'm always disappointed when it tops "best of all time" lists, or if modern film makers cite it as an influence. It was influential for years afterwards yes, but still?
It strikes me as a pretty good film in general, not even just as a "for its time" sort of thing. I know there are a lot of folks who don't see Citizen Kane because of its reputation, and I was kinda one of those folks, but it's a pretty cool film.

I mean, yeah, there's the context of this movie essentially being a sort of trolling of a mogul who controlled most of Hollywood at the time and it also sort of gives you a window into Orson Welles' life, but I think it's still a fairly solid and enjoyable film beyond that. Visually it's just this very dynamic piece of work that has shots (the arching down shot for instance) that continue to be impressive even compared to a lot of films today, there's a craftsmanship in there that's been lost. The opening of the film is something I could see people getting a little lost with, but it actually does a fairly good job of pulling you in. To me it's not a really good film in the artistic art house sense, it's quite an entertaining film in general and I've always found that it stands the test of time pretty great.

Either way, it can continue to be an influence because it influences film makers who influence film makers who influence film makers, so a lot of it sort of ties back to it. And in general, a lot of people do go and watch it and still find themselves being able to draw influence from it. Yeah, you shouldn't like a film just because it's a classic and it's forced on you, but at the same time, I think a lot of them are classics and influential for a reason. I think people should just watch those films whenever they get the urge to because then the perspective is probably going to be their own, not marred by bias of having people tell you it's a classic you should love.

There are a ton of classics I don't like, Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone With the Wind that I don't find myself enjoying a lot while I think something like Black Moon Rising can be considered classic, but I think Citizen Kane is probably the definition of what a classic film should be.
__________________

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine

Last edited by Ryoutarou; March 16th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #374    
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Gold warehouse's Avatar
Gold warehouse
peanut butter cake lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
I mean, yeah, there's the context of this movie essentially being a sort of trolling of a mogul who controlled most of Hollywood at the time and it also sort of gives you a window into Orson Welles' life, but I think it's still a fairly solid and enjoyable film beyond that. Visually it's just this very dynamic piece of work that has shots (the arching down shot for instance) that continue to be impressive even compared to a lot of films today, there's a craftsmanship in there that's been lost. The opening of the film is something I could see people getting a little lost with, but it actually does a fairly good job of pulling you in. To me it's not a really good film in the artistic art house sense, it's quite an entertaining film in general and I've always found that it stands the test of time pretty great. Either way, it can continue to be an influence because it influences film makers who influence film makers who influence film makers, so a lot of it sort of ties back to it.
Definitely agree with you on a lot here, it just isn't what I (and a lot of people) look for in a lot of films. When I watch a film most of the time I'm looking for a balance of entertainment and artistic quality, when a film tips over the fence into one of those categories too far I just can't enjoy it. I can understand other people enjoying it, but would you say it's the #1 best film of all time?

I just feel at the time it was obviously so much more important. Now I can watch films like Persona or To Kill a Mockingbird and enjoy them so much more; those films were inspired by Citizen Kane, definitely, but when it comes to choosing a classic film to watch when you're in the 21st century, these films just seem to stand the test of time a lot better.

Going back to my Beatles analogy, it's like people grabbing the first Beatles album, because it is the first Beatles album. It's good, but everyone's real favourite is still Abbey Road or the White Album. And for an art analogy, it's the Mona Lisa of the film world; not many people would hang a replica of the Mona Lisa on their wall, but everyone appreciates it.

People look at media of the past and see in such a better light than those of the past. If Citizen Kane didn't turn out to be as important was it was, it would have been forgotten amongst a sea of countless films out there. It's also possible that half the innovative ideas credited to CK were even done beforehand, CK was just the first film to use those techniques and be recognised at the same time. This is just baseless speculating here, but it is not very unlikely seeing as such things happen often.

Last edited by Gold warehouse; March 16th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #375    
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I still don't see how people can lose interest in shows. When I commit to a show it's til death do us part.
Lord forbid people coming to a realization that the show they're watching is crap, or that they just don't have the energy to watch it anymore. I had that with LOST. At first I loved the show, but after the third season I just couldn't handle it anymore and got tired of trying to keep up with it's crazy plot line.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.