Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclone View Post
1. This is my 1st time and I'm hacking pokemon ruby. So I need a program like advanced map or something. I am working on a mac though because that's the only computer that I have access to. Does anyone know of a pokemon like advanced Map that I can use on a Mac?
2. I want to change the sprites of the pokemon and again I need a program that can run on Mac.
3. I want to change the title screen (on a Mac and with a program)
4. I want to change the starter pokemon
(all on a Mac and with a pokemon and for ruby.
I have searched all these on google
I'm on a Mac too, so I know you HAVE to use Wine/X11. It's not the most convenient thing in the world, but hey, if you don't want to, you'll have to use a PC, because honestly nobody here cares about Mac.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM
camoclone
Beginning Trainer

Oh well... I already have a gba reader but I need somethng like advanced map for mac. I just can't code
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Oh well... I already have a gba reader but I need somethng like advanced map for mac. I just can't code
Yeah, either Hex Fiend or Wine. That's pretty much all there is.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
camoclone
Beginning Trainer

So nothing like advanced map and do u need to code on those
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
So nothing like advanced map and do u need to code on those
So what exactly do you mean by "code"? That can mean a lot of things.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM
deathmetalcharizard
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed
me and my friends are trying to to a hack for fire red and we have few question:

How do I change what the town map looks like?
Is there a quicker way to edit building tiles without doing them 1 by 1?
How do I use the DNS (day n night season tool)
What program changes trainers pokemon and moves?
What tool changes trainers pokemon and moves in FR?
for fire red
i would really appreatiate if someone help me with this
i'm bad ass,
death metal fan hell yeah
and a pokemon master
nuff said
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:01 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalcharizard View Post
me and my friends are trying to to a hack for fire red and we have few question:

How do I change what the town map looks like?
Is there a quicker way to edit building tiles without doing them 1 by 1?
How do I use the DNS (day n night season tool)
What program changes trainers pokemon and moves?
What tool changes trainers pokemon and moves in FR?
for fire red
i would really appreatiate if someone help me with this
If you want to change the world map you're going to have to follow one of the tutorials in the Tutorial section. Here are some that could help you. This tool could also be some use if you're not used to re-pointing data yet.

You can't really insert a whole bunch of tiles at once unless they share the same palette. It may take some time, but you will become more efficient at it the more times you insert tiles.

Sorry, I haven't had much experience with DNS additions.

Trainers are best edited through Advance Trainer on the 3rd generation games. You can download it here.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:51 AM
pokeyou
Beginning Trainer

No simple answers for my simple question?
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Epitaph93
Intermediate Digidestined

Nature: Calm
In some RPGs when you talk to a NPC a picture will pop up with the character's face. I was wondering if any hacks have accomplished this yet?

If not, then does anyone have any ideas on how to do so?

I've considered using Jambo51's Pokedex hack(when it's completed) to do the following:

Create a character's portrait, insert it as the image for a blank pokemon, use the showpokepic command on every sprite event so that it shows the character's "pokemon portrait" whenever you begin speaking to them.

So far, that's the only way I could think of to do this.
I'm Epitaph and I plan on releasing the first full-fledged Digimon hack of Pokemon Fire Red. We're getting close to the first release so come check it out in the Progressing hacks, and see how you can help us with the project.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph93 View Post
In some RPGs when you talk to a NPC a picture will pop up with the character's face. I was wondering if any hacks have accomplished this yet?

If not, then does anyone have any ideas on how to do so?

I've considered using Jambo51's Pokedex hack(when it's completed) to do the following:

Create a character's portrait, insert it as the image for a blank pokemon, use the showpokepic command on every sprite event so that it shows the character's "pokemon portrait" whenever you begin speaking to them.

So far, that's the only way I could think of to do this.
That's the only easy way to do it to be honest. Of course, it looks a lot better if you use Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (actually, it may only be Emerald, I'm unsure) and then use the hidebox command, as that would only show the image, not the border. This would make for some epic mugshots. But yeah, replacing Pokémon sprites is the easiest way.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
DaleH771
I know who you are.

Very simple question here guys. I have looked on the internet for ages for this and can not find it anywhere!

I used to have it... Whats the SetFlag for activating the NATIONAL Pokedex on a Firered hack. I have the Kanto dex but thats no use, need the National Dex! Thanks
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH771 View Post
Very simple question here guys. I have looked on the internet for ages for this and can not find it anywhere!

I used to have it... Whats the SetFlag for activating the NATIONAL Pokedex on a Firered hack. I have the Kanto dex but thats no use, need the National Dex! Thanks :)
It's not a flag, but a special. To activate the National Pokédex in FireRed, include: "special 0x16F" in a script.
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
DaleH771
I know who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
It's not a flag, but a special. To activate the National Pokédex in FireRed, include: "special 0x16F" in a script.
Cheers! Was one of the very last additions to my game before I could release its beta version.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
I suppose I've only scratched the surface with this...I wanted to make an item that allows the player to travel on water without needing a Pokemon with surf. I found the script for surf (no badge check is included, by the way). I thought by making the script go to the surfboard check after the attack check would make it work, but it doesn't...I assume there's a check in the game that automatically ends the script if there isn't anyone with surf. The script works perfectly...I assigned it to a person, and it worked basically flawlessly. Does anyone know what needs to be done?

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old March 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
I suppose I've only scratched the surface with this...I wanted to make an item that allows the player to travel on water without needing a Pokemon with surf. I found the script for surf (no badge check is included, by the way). I thought by making the script go to the surfboard check after the attack check would make it work, but it doesn't...I assume there's a check in the game that automatically ends the script if there isn't anyone with surf. The script works perfectly...I assigned it to a person, and it worked basically flawlessly. Does anyone know what needs to be done?
Have you checked all the specials? There might be a sequence of them, and you just probably need to bl to each special's ASM to activate the surf.
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:03 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Have you checked all the specials? There might be a sequence of them, and you just probably need to bl to each special's ASM to activate the surf.
The only special involved in the script was the one that most firered scripts have...the one that ends the script if it yields a two. Took it out, but it still doesn't work. I assume there's something about the tiles behavior byte that automatically ends the script if you don't have a surfing Pokemon...which I thought was odd, since the script checks for a Pokemon with surf as well. I guess it's just a matter of changing some bytes...I'll see if I can figure anything out (which I doubt I will)

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
paranvoi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranvoi View Post
Does anyone know why when I dump the menu text in Fire Red (using WindHex) I get incomplete text? Here's an extract:

Code:
//ATUS P[LINE]
//ROBLEM[LINE]
//END[LINE]
That should read "STATUS PROBLEM" but the first 2 letters of "STATUS"
are missing, plus there's an unnessecary line break after the first
letter of "PROBLEM". The entire dumped .txt file looks like that. Solutions...?
No one has any suggestions???
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
No one has any suggestions???
Perhaps the menu doesn't use the same text format as all other in-game text.
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
xTr
Beginning Trainer

Fire Red Question: Is it possible to read / edit the attack animations. I can read the sprite + pallete for the attack but can't find anything related to how animation works on it.

For ex. ( cant post linkz zzz ) there is fire animation that is used by several skills but in different way FLAMETHROWER ( cone of fire ) / EMBER ( spawns few fire sprites under enemy pokemon )
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM
paranvoi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Perhaps the menu doesn't use the same text format as all other in-game text.
That I figured out, but how do I go about dumping and editing this text if it's different from the other in-game text? :\
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM
miksy91

Quote:
That I figured out, but how do I go about dumping and editing this text if it's different from the other in-game text? :\
That's difficult to be said actually - I've never done anything expect taking a look at the scripting engine of FireRed before.

It's possible that the game reads some of the letters twice and if so, some assembly code might contain data that points to letters itself, not words as whole. (That's just an assumption though and it would make no sense why that part could be programmed that way)
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
paranvoi
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
That's difficult to be said actually - I've never done anything expect taking a look at the scripting engine of FireRed before.

It's possible that the game reads some of the letters twice and if so, some assembly code might contain data that points to letters itself, not words as whole. (That's just an assumption though and it would make no sense why that part could be programmed that way)
Do you have suggestions for things I could try?

Could I get away with just editting the dumped .txt as if it were just like all the other text in the game? i.e ignore the missing letters and line breaks?
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Hello pipz.
I have a few questions that I hope anyone can help me.

1. I am editing the title screen of a Ruby ROM. I have done the tileset for the titlescreen and already done inserting it in the game via Unlz-GBA and repointing. Now, I wish to know where should I insert the .raw... I have arranged the tiles of the title screen through NTME.

2. How am I able to remove the "Item" and "Save" from the Start Menu?

Thanks and hope someone can help me.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:13 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Do you have suggestions for things I could try?

Could I get away with just editting the dumped .txt as if it were just like all the other text in the game? i.e ignore the missing letters and line breaks?
I'd myself check how doing that affects the game first.
Then you'll see if some of the letters are actually loaded twice.
*See also what the line breaks are for

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Hello pipz.
How am I able to remove the "Item" and "Save" from the Start Menu?

Thanks and hope someone can help me.
Find a table file for Ruby, download it and then search for that text.
After that, find a pointer leading to the text which leads to, very likely, assembly code of the menu.
Next thing to do is to figure out what to do with the assembly code.
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Harminia

Hi, apologies in advance if this is a completely dumb question that's been answered countless times. I've looked at heaps of tutorials and looked around for anything with the same problem but I can't really find anything that's specifically like mine.
So, this is my first time editing a ROM, I'm editing Ruby version.
I'm trying to put in edited sprites for the gym leaders in unLZ. I've followed the tutorials about how indexing it, finding free space, fixing the pointers.
And I can get one gym sprite showing up fine.

but if I try and import more than one leader's sprite they start messing up. The colours go crazy or if I'm on pokenav the page won't load at all and freezes.

I have no idea what to do. I thought maybe I had to put the in free space that was far away from eachother, but that doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The first time I add a new sprite is perfectly fine, but I don't know what's happening the second time to make it mess up round when I'm doing the exact same process.

(I'd give images but I have to make 15 posts beforehand, and to be honest I only joined the site to see if I can get help with this + I'm too distracted to go out and post right now + I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bypass it by putting in spaces in links or if that's against the rules)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links